PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair policy grounds Minister

joeSoap
06/03/2006, 11:40 AM
Ryanair grounds O'Donoghue for forgetting his ID

HIGH-flying politicians who find themselves inundated with calls from irate constituents often dream of basking in anonymity.

But one grounded Cabinet member yesterday learned an ordinary life is not always what it is cracked up to be after he was told he couldn't board a flight.

The reason? Because he forgot to bring any identification.

Arts, Sport and Tourism Minister John O'Donoghue had been in Cork for the weekend on private business. He travelled to the airport to board a 9.50am flight to Dublin.

But a routine check-in turned to red-faces all around after the Kerry politician was informed he would need a passport or driver's licence in order to comply with Ryanair security procedures.

And despite his protestations, the minister was told he could not fly.

He had to endure the journey to Dublin by road instead.

A spokesman for Cork Airport confirmed that Mr O'Donoghue was booked on a Ryanair flight yesterday morning but he was unable to board because of his failure to produce ID.

He said the minister had hoped to take another flight but ended up "going by road to Dublin".

A spokesman said Mr O'Donoghue wasn't making "a great fuss" about yesterday morning's events.

"It was one of those things really. It could happen to anyone," he said.

The minister was travelling to Dublin to appear on RTE's 'The Week in Politics' programme where he engaged in some tough exchanges with Cork TD and MEP Simon Coveney and Green Party chairman John Gormley on anti-social behaviour and excessive drinking.

Mr O'Donoghue attacked Mr Coveney for his announcement on Friday that he would be standing for the Dail again despite being an MEP.

The minister, a keen horse racing fan, later shook off his flying blues as he headed to Leopardstown for yesterday's afternoon meeting.

joeSoap
06/03/2006, 11:45 AM
This, to me, is all wrong. Ryanair have denied a fare paying citizen the right to travel within the confines of his own country. Do Iarnrod Eireann, or Bus Eireann demand ID fro commuters travelling to and from Cork to Dublin? No they don't, and they have no right to. Ryanair have every right to look for ID for travellers to other countries (even though I thought we were all 'Europeans' now), and I can understand this and support it. But to deny a man access to a flight that doesn't even leave Irish aerospace surely is illegal, once they accepted his fare, which you can be damn sure they did.

I think its a joke.

Macy
06/03/2006, 12:28 PM
I'd say it's nothing to do with Ryanair policy, but rather Aviation Rules (being nicely spun by Ryanair to make up for being found to not follow the same rules in dispatches).

When asked for ID, did he ignore the question and start every sentence with "let me say this"? :D

wws
06/03/2006, 12:56 PM
"I didn't interrupt you so please don't interrupt me....."

pineapple stu
06/03/2006, 1:30 PM
I can't remember being asked for ID when I flew from Cork to Dublin in October. Can't remember who that was with though - possible Aer Arann - but I would have thought the same procedures should apply for something like that, mainly because of what Joe Seap said.

joeSoap
06/03/2006, 2:24 PM
but I would have thought the same procedures should apply for something like that, mainly because of what Joe Seap said.
:confused: :confused: :D

pete
06/03/2006, 2:25 PM
I would suspect Ryanair obeying irish aviation rules - as Macy said nice spin for Dispatches claims.

How did he travel from road anyway? Was he using a state car? was he driving his own vehicle without a driving licence?

Schumi
06/03/2006, 2:31 PM
Ministers never drive, it's beneath them. They have a garda to do that for them.

Roverstillidie
06/03/2006, 10:53 PM
leave the minister alone, he is doing el football a great service at the moment.:p

drinkfeckarse
08/03/2006, 1:08 PM
This, to me, is all wrong. Ryanair have denied a fare paying citizen the right to travel within the confines of his own country. Do Iarnrod Eireann, or Bus Eireann demand ID fro commuters travelling to and from Cork to Dublin? No they don't, and they have no right to. Ryanair have every right to look for ID for travellers to other countries (even though I thought we were all 'Europeans' now), and I can understand this and support it. But to deny a man access to a flight that doesn't even leave Irish aerospace surely is illegal, once they accepted his fare, which you can be damn sure they did.

I think its a joke.

I'm glad in a way they didn't bow to the "don't you know who I am" scenario. Rules are rules and I know I wouldn't get onto a flight if I didn't have ID. You're points do have merit though JS especially as you say for internal flights. However as they always say "check the smallprint"....It always says on any ticket be it paper or e-ticket that you HAVE to have ID so I believe they were right not to allow him to fly.

pete
08/03/2006, 1:11 PM
Ministers never drive, it's beneath them. They have a garda to do that for them.

So the driver would have to bring the car to dublin anyway. was he late for the horse racing or something? I'm surprised he didn't get the government jet to collect him.

Macy
08/03/2006, 1:30 PM
I'm surprised he didn't get the government jet to collect him.
It was a TV show pete, not an off licence opening.

CollegeTillIDie
12/03/2006, 5:23 PM
You need a passport to book into Hotels especially outside Dublin, even if you are Irish. We need domestic National I.D. Cards sooner rather than later!