PDA

View Full Version : Dublin City LFC seek new players.

cityman
05/03/2006, 9:01 PM
Dublin City Ladies are looking to recruit new players,(inc a goalkeeper), for the forthcoming season. Also looking to start up a U/16 team.

We are based in Santry and train every Monday. All abilities welcome.

These are the contact details: shaunkidd@eircom.net, 0876127302.

:ball:

Number9
09/03/2006, 6:29 PM
Good luck with your U16s. Extremely competitive at U16 in Dublin with Stella (a la Noel King) and Raheny fielding very strong teams and I believe, casting their nets far and wide in recruiting good players.

cityman
09/03/2006, 9:37 PM
Thanks number 9, have you got any tips or ideas?:ball:

Number9
10/03/2006, 2:38 PM
I would try all 2nd level schools in the area. Some may have soccer teams. Some may play the sport for fun. If you are really lucky, there may be an entire school team whose players are not signed for any club. In Dublin, I reckon that this is highly unlikely, but you never can tell. This could be a ready made team. Play some friendlies, see how the girls get on. Next step would be join your local league. If you are really interested in the development of girls soccer AND have sufficient interested and willing adults to take teams, then you should get the message into as many national schools as possible and get the younger girls out training. The FAI rolled out a progam a few years back encouraging national schools to introduce soccer to girls and boys alike. You should also approach the schoolboy teams in the area - girls can play up to U13 in "boys" leagues.
Also try your local community games organisers - I believe that there is an under15 girls soccer competition.
In rural Ireland this is probably the easiest way of getting a team started - most often the local GAA club have a girls football/camogie team who turn out for the community games team and some of them find that they prefer soccer. Quite often they have nowhere to play after the community games are over and end up commuting to the larger population centres or to established clubs at the other side of the county or even in neighbouring counties. It will take time and to be sure if you discover a few gems, then the established teams will be hovering, like flies to the proverbial ****.
If it is only u16s you are interested in as a feeder to the ladies team, then IMO the community games teams could be your best bet.