PDA

View Full Version : Georgie - Sunday Times Interview

James
05/03/2006, 11:31 AM
V Good interview in today Sundays Times.
The madness of King George..well worth a read

thejollyrodger
05/03/2006, 12:00 PM
whats the link ?

James
05/03/2006, 12:08 PM
put on coat, leave house, walk to shop, insert 1.30 into shopkeepers hand and pick up news paper, turn to sports section page 15 :)

interview talks about Georgies days across in england and the awards night last weekend.
GOC on 125k a year with city

pete
05/03/2006, 12:21 PM
GOC on 125k a year with city

So thats where the Doyle transfer fee has gone.

The non-international rugby province players would be very lucky to make that money. In fact some rugby international squad players won't make that.

James
05/03/2006, 12:26 PM
The madness of King George
PAUL ROWAN
He upsets managers and rival players but the enigma is finally fulfilling his formidable talent with Cork City

link to Sunday Time online edition The Madness of King George (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2093-2070289,00.html)

thejollyrodger
05/03/2006, 1:52 PM
good article.

kingcolers
06/03/2006, 8:51 PM
i remember enquiring last year if it was true that georgie was on 2K a week, and it was dismissed out of hand. apparently there are three other players on that cash too: flynn, fenn and somebody else? anybody know the scoop? if so the City's wage bill, with 16 or so pros, must be the guts of 1m. and we're one of the more tight-fisted clubs???

Risteard
06/03/2006, 11:40 PM
Well Georgies is only a recent contract kingcolers.
Seems he was offered a decent bit more by Drogs aswell so a happy medium was reached.
Indeed, it is big bobs.
Gamble said to have agreed a good deal (a bit short of that) recently.
Fenn is always said to have been on big bobs since he signed. That contract is up at the end of this season and he'd be very lucky to get the same again i imagine.
Would have thought Flynnie wouldn't have been near Georgies salary though.
He shouldn't be anyway.
Gamble & George alone would require roughly 20,000 entry fees (say an average entry of €10).
That's 4 or 5 big gates gone before you even think about another squad member, never mind Flynn, Fenn etc.
Big bucks.
I shudder to think how Shels and Drogs support professional squads of their size, no matter how exaggerated rumoured salaries are.

yiddo
07/03/2006, 9:03 AM
i remember enquiring last year if it was true that georgie was on 2K a week, and it was dismissed out of hand. apparently there are three other players on that cash too: flynn, fenn and somebody else? anybody know the scoop? if so the City's wage bill, with 16 or so pros, must be the guts of 1m. and we're one of the more tight-fisted clubs???

No way is Fenn on 2k a week. Figures I heard mentioned when he signed in December 2003 was 1300 @ week and 30000 signing on paid over the 3 years of his contract.
Interesting to see what happens when his contract is up at the end of this season.

adamd164
07/03/2006, 12:20 PM
good article.
Most of your mates on Shelsweb don`t agree :p

pete
07/03/2006, 12:46 PM
If Georgie on 125k a year (i hope thats gross) can only imagine what Drogs were willing to pay. The fact is though at only top players in a squad would be anywhere near that money & ordinary squad memebers be on a fraction.

Anything over 100k is very good in irish sports professional terms but football wages are inflated by our neighbours.

I wonder what other none football job would pay 125k?

Risteard
07/03/2006, 1:19 PM
football wages are inflated by our neighbours.

Not as such anymore.
Not in Championship 1 anyway.
If Flynnie had abandoned us for someone like Swansea, i really don't think they'd fork out €2k and a half so easily.

I remember posters on Leeds United Forums during the off-season were all convinced that Bates (before Bakkes return) had all contracts under £3,750.
Poor Gary Kelly.

redgav
20/03/2006, 6:30 PM
Wonder do all you lads know that Drogheda used every post on this thread to fill a page in their programme for the city game .....no credit to the website or any of the posters either...every single post ,word for word used

adamcarr
20/03/2006, 6:33 PM
Wonder do all you lads know that Drogheda used every post on this thread to fill a page in their programme for the city game .....no credit to the website or any of the posters either...every single post ,word for word used

I was actually quite suprised at how poor the Drogs programme was. I decided to buy it because everyone was saying there was a huge improvement but that was a very very poor attempt!

redgav
20/03/2006, 6:35 PM
I was actually quite suprised at how poor the Drogs programme was. I decided to buy it because everyone was saying there was a huge improvement but that was a very very poor attempt!

is that a surprise when this thread is basically copied ,spelling mistakes and all.......is that even allowed on here ???

Cosmo
20/03/2006, 6:40 PM

There was a big improvement on it last season - but unfortunately the programme editor had to pack it in

As for taking posts from here - theres usually a page with 'have your say' which is usually drogheda supporters views be it an email sent in, letter, or some good posts on our forum. However he seemed to put quotes from here in for a change

kingcolers
21/03/2006, 9:19 AM
and what was the context for this outrageous plagarism;)? did he make any comment himself? was he slagging us off?

and do we get royalties??

pete
21/03/2006, 11:32 AM
There was a big improvement on it last season - but unfortunately the programme editor had to pack it in

I bought the programme as heard was supposed to 2nd best only to City Edition. Was wondering what all the fuss about as very average.

As for taking posts from here - theres usually a page with 'have your say' which is usually drogheda supporters views be it an email sent in, letter, or some good posts on our forum. However he seemed to put quotes from here in for a change

Eventhough i had the programme was onlt pointed out to me last night. I will try scan up later but shows how unprofessional yout club is as no credit to foot.ie and no context of the "article" at all except probably to have a dig at George. Not surprised given how unprofessional the official website is.

I will be expecting a cut of the revenue from your programme sales (maybe a donation to charity instead) as i have not been paid for my contribution especially since i paid to read my own words...

Cosmo
21/03/2006, 1:32 PM
I bought the programme as heard was supposed to 2nd best only to City Edition

Well even the lads from city edition said that and it was definitely the 2nd best programme in the league.

Btw I'd agree with ye about the programme not crediting where they got the quotes from - it should've been done

Ronnie
22/03/2006, 8:52 AM
125k a year and a couple more on over 100k! So what is City's annual running costs, it must be over 2m? Shels are similar, yet lost 1m last year according to another thread. Drogs around 2m too, but they certainly aren't earning it, just generous benefactors.
Would city have earned 2m last year?

pete
22/03/2006, 11:05 AM
I think Citys running costs last year would be around 1.5m

kingcolers
22/03/2006, 1:37 PM
I think Citys running costs last year would be around 1.5m

IS that just a guess or do you have an inside angle? it seems about right...although it must mean that some of the other pros are getting paid very little. I'm sure george's article cheered them all up.

so let's say wages, rent and travel = 1.5m
gate receipts, sponsorship, prize money = X
brian's personal contribution = 1.5m - X

can anybody help fill in the blanks? i'm hoping/assuming city is fairly viable as a going concern.....

Ronnie
22/03/2006, 2:58 PM
If George is getting 125k a year and two others over 100k, then you've got 3 players earning the guts of 350k a year - what are the other 20 or so pros and manager and back room team getting paid? I think as a miniumum amount it is 2m, possibly 2.5m might be the figure.

pete
22/03/2006, 3:04 PM
I think as a miniumum amount it is 2m, possibly 2.5m might be the figure.

No chance its 2m or 2.5m. I seems to remember the 1.5m figure came out last year & club probably made a small "profit" depending on whether future prize money & european competition money was included. I beleive Brian Lennox said he subsidised the club in last few years but no required to do it now - i suppose could still mean he pays wages in the off season & takes the money back later...?

Its good business to pay your best players well as these are the ones attracted by other clubs in the league & abroad. makes no sense to pay average squad members too much as no clubs exactly queuing up to termpt them away...

Risteard
22/03/2006, 10:05 PM
I think thats the strategy alright pete. Still a huge outlay. Despite our lack of fincancers, we should still have the biggest revenue, maybe less than Derry.
That could just about balance the books.
Despite the view that EVERY eL club is struggling financially, i haven't heard any rumours of debts etc at the Cross.
Lets hope it stays that way.