PDA

View Full Version : Ground-sharing again

wws
03/03/2006, 12:31 PM
03/03/2006
ST PAT'S READY TO TALK ABOUT GROUND-SHARING
St Patrick's Athletic chairman Andy O'Callaghan has revealed that the club are ready to talk about a groundshare with Shamrock Rovers.

St Pats had kept quiet on their interest up until now and chairman O'Callaghan insists that they are only keeping an open mind.

The Government is keen for Rovers and Pats to groundshare to thwart growing opposition in Tallaght where GAA clubs believe that the ground should also cater for GAA.

O'Callaghan said: "We believe the Government's stance is that the ground will only be completed if both Shamrock Rovers and St Pats are based there."

This story has been reproduced from media sources and is not
necessarily the position/opinion of St Patrick's Athletic

the article only attributes one actual quote which isnt clear whether he's in favour of

a)talks
b) and actual move

none the wiser here!

chippie0001
03/03/2006, 12:47 PM
The last quote makes no sense, I thought that the ground was being completed either way, unless the GAA mess it up. I think Pats will end up moving in the long run though under pressure from the FAI but they should end up with a nice wad of cash in the back pocket.

hoops1
03/03/2006, 12:53 PM
I Know this is from another view but the hypocrisy
of the Gaa trying to weasel there way into tallaght
spouting fair play for all games in the community and when the
munster team request use of one of there grounds for a heineken cup match
are told more or less to **** off
this in my opinion is something being pushed by Dublin County board
because for once soccer has beaten them to the punch(nearly) in an
area of untold potential
All these 6 teams from the so called alliance couldnt possibly have a need for
the ground as they all have there own pitches,bars and in some cases gyms
the Dublin county board want this solely for the senior team.
If any soccer team in the tallaght area asked for use of a gaa pitch they would be laughed at.
The we want to play in all stadiums payed for by taxpayers money and not
let other sports play in our grounds also largely payed for by the taxpayer
makes me sick
I realise we are playing in croke park next year but the main reason this is allowed is the astronomical revenue the GAA will make
Im not normally one for politicans but O Connor ,Lenihan and especially o donoghue have shot up in my view and at this stage if this ground is built in the next year and for soccer only
I will vote and i will canvass all my family in the tallaght area to vote FF at
every general election
Rant over

Vitruvian Man
03/03/2006, 1:16 PM
I know I am an outsider but it seems ot me that Andy O'Callaghan WANTS to move out of Richmond and is actually helping the FAI drive the whole thing.

Do I have the wrong end of the stick?

thejollyrodger
03/03/2006, 1:22 PM
The Grab All Association should take their greedy hands out of Tallaght and build their own stadium in the region if they wish. The government is only backing two stadia in Dublin and the total cost is a pitance. The amount of money Croker got was astronomical.

Shamrock Rovers and St Pats need a decent 10,000+ all seater stadium and the government should ignore these GAA muppets and press on.

wws
03/03/2006, 1:31 PM
I'd say the GAA are just looking to gaurd their interests - ie if they dont get a piece of the stadium they probbaly want to be compensated in kind.

Andy o'Callaghan would be in favour of looking at all offers - ie "open mind" type approach to the whole thing from is utterances at pats meetings in the community centre

BohDiddley
03/03/2006, 1:53 PM
03/03/2006
The Government is keen for Rovers and Pats to groundshare to thwart growing opposition in Tallaght where GAA clubs believe that the ground should also cater for GAA.
This is a smokescreen.
Where precisely in Tallaght, other than in the bigotball clubhouses, is there growing opposition? One would have thought that, with 500 redundancies threatened at Jacobs, the population might have more on their minds just now.
The GAA already is lavishly catered for in Tallaght and elsewhere, and has no claim on any new facility. It's time the government stopped hiding behind these bullies.

manic da hoop
03/03/2006, 2:14 PM
Thankfully the Dept of Sport have alreay told the GAA to take a hike, likewise the two local Fianna Fail TDs. However, even despite the cOuncil voting 22-4 in favour of a football only stadium they still don't get the message. The GAA has never had any concrete plans to develop a stadium of their own in Tallaght, and now they are insisting on getting a share of our cake, simply because it is there. Is there any other sporting organisation in the world that acts like this? And to think there are still some among us (ie, Rovers fans) who continue to support the GAA!:rolleyes:

hoops1
03/03/2006, 2:23 PM
What are the chances of them going to court?
The commencement notice of rebuilding was in the paper during
the week!

BohDiddley
03/03/2006, 2:34 PM
And to think there are still some among us (ie, Rovers fans) who continue to support the GAA!:rolleyes:
Can't have it both ways. GAA ethos forces you to choose.
You could follow rugby, or hockey or, God forbid, cricket ;) but as things stand IMHO it is not possible to give your allegiance to both, unless you are Niall Quinn.

manic da hoop
03/03/2006, 2:50 PM
What are the chances of them going to court?
The commencement notice of rebuilding was in the paper during
the week!

It all depends on the strength of their finances. This issue doesn't seem to be getting much attention at a higher level within the GAA, so it looks like the dirty half dozen are on their own on this one. Bottom line is that their legal advisers (if they're any good) will tell them that they haven't a hope of winning it out in court, so even if they do manage to cobble together a few euros to have their day out at the High Court they should be told in advance that they'll just be throwing their money down the drain.

Hopefully that will be enough to deter them.

hoops1
03/03/2006, 2:51 PM
i hope your right!

NY Hoop
03/03/2006, 3:14 PM
Thankfully the Dept of Sport have alreay told the GAA to take a hike, likewise the two local Fianna Fail TDs. However, even despite the cOuncil voting 22-4 in favour of a football only stadium they still don't get the message. The GAA has never had any concrete plans to develop a stadium of their own in Tallaght, and now they are insisting on getting a share of our cake, simply because it is there. Is there any other sporting organisation in the world that acts like this? And to think there are still some among us (ie, Rovers fans) who continue to support the GAA!:rolleyes:

Manic I'm a Dubs fan and always will be and wont be put off by the latest shenanigans by these 6 GAA clubs. These clubs are out on their own in their opposition to Tallaght stadium.

Also there are other Rovers fans who do not have net access who support the Dubs. That ok?

KOH

manic da hoop
03/03/2006, 3:17 PM
Also there are other Rovers fans who do not have net access who support the Dubs. That ok?

No!
:p

desaintsno.12
04/03/2006, 10:04 AM
the way the GAA is carrying on is a disgrace. shows nothing but greed. like NY hoop i'm a dubs fan and wont just stop supporting the dublin team.but it's the association that is acting like spoilt children. soccer gets a new stadium and now they want it ??? FU*K off. as a pats fan i would not like to see pats leave. but i have the feeling it's going to happen qand if it does we must move now before rovers have all the support in the area. we must also be seriously compensated (financially, this is probably unrealistic)

Poor Student
04/03/2006, 12:28 PM
Is this latest offensive by the 6 GAA clubs holding up building work further?

What's the deal here? Are the GAA just being selfish and megolomanic, I mean those clubs have more than enough decent facilities already, or is it more of an attempt just to screw up Rovers to ensure soccer doesn't get a solid foothold in Tallaght?

Also, would Pat's be equal tennents or sub-tennents of Rovers?

Dr.Nightdub
04/03/2006, 1:56 PM
Also, would Pat's be equal tennents or sub-tennents of Rovers?

From anything that's been said so far, neither. If it did happen, we'd be tenants of SDCC, but not tenants on an equal footing with Rovers - they have the guaranteed 40 home games a season, clubhouse built by SDCC, etc. None of that has yet been mooted in relation to Pats. Not saying it wouldn't happen, but no-one's suggested it publicly so far.

kdjaC
04/03/2006, 3:19 PM
Pats holding company Newton Heath are busy in the background buying up the freehold to Richmond whilst the hierarchy of the club want to move us out. All but 3 are secured with 1 opposed to selling, he will have nice piece of grass between 3 blocks of flats.

Doesnt take a genius to figure out that Newton heath are pulling a Kilcoyne!

"Richmond is car park etc"

kdjac

Dr.Nightdub
04/03/2006, 5:46 PM
Kdjac, think you're being way too pessimistic there. First off, Newtownheath IS Pats, or to put it another way St.Patricks Athletic FC is the trading i.e. fooballing name of Newtownheath. So the Pats board is the Newtownheath board, they're one and the same.

Secondly, it makes sense for the board to go about acquiring the freehold on Richmond. At the moment we only have a sporting-use lease on it so while we can't be turfed out, we can't sell it either. We could if we had the freehold. If the FAI are gonna try inflicting heavy manners on us and "encourage" / induce / force us to move to Tallaght, we may's well have something to bring there with us - i.e. a very large wad of cash.

My preference is to stay in Richmond. But as Plan B's go, being ABLE to sell it (as distinct from wanting to sell it) makes eminent sense.

hoopy
05/03/2006, 8:43 AM
I apologise in advance if I've got the wrong end of the stick on this but from reading comments on mbs and in papers the last few days it seems to me as though some Pats fans seem to think they're doing Rovers a favour if they move in. Am I off the mark here?

Dr.Nightdub
05/03/2006, 5:09 PM
I apologise in advance if I've got the wrong end of the stick on this but from reading comments on mbs and in papers the last few days it seems to me as though some Pats fans seem to think they're doing Rovers a favour if they move in. Am I off the mark here?

Yeah, you are, but no offence taken.

Our main concern is whether we're doing OURSELVES a favour by moving to Tallaght. The only way it'll affect Rovers either way is the degree to which we'd be competing with each other for potential fans in Tallaght. There's also the question of who gets what number of home games and on what days, who gets games under floodlights, but all that is still strictly in the realm of the hypothetical - AFAIK, Rovers have a commitment that gives them 40 home games a season, of which 6 will be floodlit but no-one's said anything definite about what we might get.

paudie
06/03/2006, 9:28 AM
Have the 6 Tallaght GAA clubs actually done anything to advance their claim on the stadium since the SDCC vote?

Or is it all talk?

It's hard to imagine a realistic basis for a legal challenge

hoops1
21/03/2006, 1:46 PM
According to tonights herald the GAA fcukers got unanimous
backing from all other dublin clubs for legal action
but they are going to go to croke park for backing before they take
this option!
Does anyone have an opinion on the likely hood they will get this backing
from the top brass

paudie
21/03/2006, 3:09 PM
According to tonights herald the GAA fcukers got unanimous
backing from all other dublin clubs for legal action
but they are going to go to croke park for backing before they take
this option!
Does anyone have an opinion on the likely hood they will get this backing
from the top brass

This seems an amazing decision by the clubs. Have they anything better to do with their time/money?

I don't think that the GAA top brass would look too kindly on a high profile legal case given the thawing of relation between the FAI and GAA re croke PArk etc.
Also after the Dept of Sports seemingly definite statement re soccer only for Tallaght the GAA wouldn't want to upset the Dept too much.

It would be interesting to see on what legal basis the case would be based. Since the SDCC now owns the ground (doesn't it?) they can do what they want with it.

The clubs could be using this to highlight their funding needs and get money from the SDCC or the Dept of Sport.