PDA

View Full Version : Ireland Fans Ripped Off-Labour Party

joeSoap
03/03/2006, 8:46 AM
Green Army fans 'being ripped off' -The Irish Independent

IRELAND'S Green Army of loyal football fans are being taken for a ride, it was claimed yesterday.

The Labour Party has called on the FAI and soccer shirt manufacturers Umbro to respect their supporters and not raise the price of the latest football shirt.

The new jersey, worn by the Irish team in Wednesday night's 3-0 win over Sweden, is due to go on sale on St Patrick's Day.

Party spokesperson on consumer affairs, Deputy Kathleen Lynch said: "The soccer-supporting public - and the thousands of kids who so proudly wear the shirts of their heroes - deserve better treatment for the support and contribution they make to the performances of our team.

"I am calling on the FAI to respect their loyal supporters and not hike up the price of the new shirt.

"It is only 18 months (September 2004) since the team last launched a new jersey, in which time only a handful of matches were played."

Deputy Lynch accused the FAI and Umbro, who both earn many thousands of euro through the sale of replica shirts, of taking Irish supporters for a ride.

"A new jersey was introduced in March 2003, and the one before that in September 2001, which itself was little over a year after the team sported a new one in the summer of 2000," she continued.

"Given the limited number of international fixtures, this means there is a new Irish international home shirt for every 10 games the team plays."

Réiteoir
03/03/2006, 1:45 PM
How about trying to get the DAMN SPONSOR REMOVED OFF THE SHIRT ffs

Karlos
03/03/2006, 2:01 PM
I second that motion! :)

OwlsFan
03/03/2006, 2:04 PM
How about trying to get the DAMN SPONSOR REMOVED OFF THE SHIRT ffs

Money talks I am afraid. No doubt the logo being on the replica jersey is part of the sponsorship deal. Doesn't bother me. I still have my old jersey with the Avatar I use with no sponsor emblazened upon it. Didn't like the stripes one used for USA 94. All the rest of them I liked. Would like the orange one used in Macedonia as a souvenir - still see a few of them being worn around the place.

Karlos
03/03/2006, 2:42 PM
Would like the orange one used in Macedonia as a souvenir - still see a few of them being worn around the place.

Just bought it on ebay two days ago for 11 pounds :) . Mint condition - still has umbro tags on.

There was another on sale last night with a Frank Stapelton autograph on it.

paul_oshea
03/03/2006, 2:50 PM
it is considering in england you can get them for 20 quid

Karlos
03/03/2006, 2:52 PM
it is considering in england you can get them for 20 quid

Yeah, there's a great shop at the bottom of Oxford Street in London (beside Virgin) that I've bought a good few Ireland shirts in for 20 pound. Deadly shop :)) :)

Fergie's Son
03/03/2006, 3:27 PM
Er...it's called capitalism. That is, the FAI cut the best deal they can with the shirt manufacturer who will sell them for whatever price the market will bear.

Not seeing the problem here.

Poor Student
03/03/2006, 3:32 PM
How about tacking the rampant programme price inflation?

Littlest Hobo
03/03/2006, 4:08 PM
Lilliewhites in Picadilly Circus normally sell them cheap. Paddies day is it? I'll be wearing mine all day then:p

Superhoops
03/03/2006, 8:17 PM
How about tacking the rampant programme price inflation?
5 euro for the programme last Wednesday is not bad value. It is well produced. It has been priced at 5 euro since 2004.

eirebhoy
03/03/2006, 8:28 PM
5 euro for the programme last Wednesday is not bad value. It is well produced. It has been priced at 5 euro since 2004.
€5 is a rip off for a match programme. I still pay it though. :)

pete
03/03/2006, 9:14 PM

The programme is a rip off as IMO better versions produced in the eL - Cork City programme is half the price & better.

If I could invent a device to strip the advertising logos off jerseys would i have a market?

eirebhoy
03/03/2006, 9:17 PM
If I could invent a device to strip the advertising logos off jerseys would i have a market?
Without a doubt.