PDA

View Full Version : Ward to Ipswich?

youngirish
02/03/2006, 5:22 PM
Ipswich signal interest in Bohs star

March 2, 2006

Coca-Cola Championship side Ipswich Town are interested in taking Bohemians starlet Stephen Ward to Portman Road.

Ward has made a huge impression with the Irish under-21 side in recent weeks, scoring three goals in four appearances and winning the Player of the Tournament accolade at last month’s Madeira Cup.

He has attracted attention from Sunderland and West Ham United in the past, and Ipswich Town boss Joe Royle has joined the race for his services.

Ward, 20, spoke earlier this week of his desire to follow in the footsteps of Kevin Doyle, who made his mark at Cork City before joining Reading last summer.

Doyle made his senior international debut alongside Robbie Keane in the Irish attack against Sweden on Wednesday night.

Anyone seen him play and is he good enough to be another Kevin Doyle?

Risteard
02/03/2006, 5:27 PM
I don't know.
Looks like the work of Givens but ya can't complain about interest being shown in your best players.
Should be a nice sum involved if Bohs decide to sell.

Poor Student
02/03/2006, 7:20 PM
If a few more players go on to do a Kevin Doyle it could convince youngsters that it is worth staying here, getting first team experience, and moving on when you are ready rather than moving at too young an age and languishing in the reserves.

Stuttgart88
03/03/2006, 7:17 AM
If a few more players go on to do a Kevin Doyle it could convince youngsters that it is worth staying here, getting first team experience, and moving on when you are ready rather than moving at too young an age and languishing in the reserves.Exactly.

When Risteard says "it looks like the work of Givens" I know where you're coming from but as you say it can't be dismissed as a bad thing if a guy like Ward gets noticed & appreciated by a top manager like Joe Royle, who has a history of working with young (& Irish) players, and gets offered full-time professional career at a good club like Ipswich. If it happened it'd be a good move for him & for the eL. Presumably Bohs won't let him go for 50k.

youngirish: I've only seen him for the U21s and I pointed out on another thread that he reminds me of Richard Sadlier. I know others have different opinions so I'll leave it for those who've seen him more than me to comment further.

tetsujin1979
03/03/2006, 10:07 AM
Just as an aside, according to football365 Cork City are getting 17k because Kevin Doyle made his international debut on wednesday, hopefully cluases like this will be built into the contracts of any promising player sold by EL clubs. They have to accept they might not get the big transfer fee, but these kind of clauses will bring money into the club in the future

Risteard
03/03/2006, 10:11 AM
Better again £17.
Roughly €25,000.
Also, rumoured to be a sell-on clause of possibly 10 but more likely 4%.
That would give us anything from €60,000* to €675,000***

*£1,000,000 @4%
***£4,500,000 @ 10%

livehead1
03/03/2006, 11:37 AM
Ipswich signal interest in Bohs star

March 2, 2006

Coca-Cola Championship side Ipswich Town are interested in taking Bohemians starlet Stephen Ward to Portman Road.

Ward has made a huge impression with the Irish under-21 side in recent weeks, scoring three goals in four appearances and winning the Player of the Tournament accolade at last month’s Madeira Cup.

He has attracted attention from Sunderland and West Ham United in the past, and Ipswich Town boss Joe Royle has joined the race for his services.

Ward, 20, spoke earlier this week of his desire to follow in the footsteps of Kevin Doyle, who made his mark at Cork City before joining Reading last summer.

Doyle made his senior international debut alongside Robbie Keane in the Irish attack against Sweden on Wednesday night.

Anyone seen him play and is he good enough to be another Kevin Doyle?

jaysus, whatever you do, don't start showing an interest in an EL player as soon as an english club becomes interested, it doesn't appear to be allowed here and certain members will kick up a stink that you should be takking more of an interest and watchin EL games regular (how you go about this though is a different matter) watch your words!!!