PDA

View Full Version : Stan Must Go NOW !! (another Face "ironic" headline)

A face
02/03/2006, 4:03 PM
This is what would have been said if we lost ... How many journos had more work done on that article than the winning scenario one before kick off ??

Risteard
02/03/2006, 4:17 PM
I'd say that might be an exaggeration Face.

Someone posted last night 'i hope the Stan-knockers eat their humble pie'
Well i did, and pie never tasted so good.

I thought Stan was possibly the worst candidate to pick but i'm fully behind him.
In fact, i've been very impressed with how he's spoken, last nights performance and the role Robson appears to be playing.
But i don't think anyone would have had the Stan Must Go posts/articles ready even if we'd lost 3nil.

drinkfeckarse
02/03/2006, 4:32 PM
Sure as soon as we lose a game they'll be giving it all the "lack of experiance" lark.

At the end of the day there's no guarantee of success no matter who had got the job so Stan has as much chance as the next guy of turning around our fortunes.

limerickblue
02/03/2006, 4:35 PM
jesus ud know he was new to the job do did you see da gaffers jacket man. keano well done i told u u cud do it on saturday. and inside info roy keane is on his way back the just waiting for the time to announce it

Tired&Emotional
02/03/2006, 4:56 PM
jesus ud know he was new to the job do did you see da gaffers jacket man. keano well done i told u u cud do it on saturday. and inside info roy keane is on his way back the just waiting for the time to announce it

.....and in English, your point being what exactly:D :confused:

pete
02/03/2006, 5:20 PM
I remain unconvinced & before anyone says anything even a 10-0 win would hav left me unconvinced.

Dodge
02/03/2006, 6:49 PM
I remain unconvinced & before anyone says anything even a 10-0 win would hav left me unconvinced.
Same here. Kerr had a cracking record in friendlies, so did McCarthy.

thejollyrodger
02/03/2006, 7:43 PM
Friendlies are meaningless. Still I would wait until at least another week before we start "Stan has to go thread " :D

(I presume this is just a p1$$ take)

gspain
03/03/2006, 7:13 AM
Friendlies are meaningless. Still I would wait until at least another week before we start "Stan has to go thread " :D

(I presume this is just a p1$$ take)

I'd give him 2-3 months but he needs a few more wins like that. :D

Seriously it was a perfect start but friendlies mean very little apart from blooding players. Most of the criticisms of Kerr boil down to team morale and spirit. This was never a problem in his era in friendlies but rather in some big competitive games.

In 13 months time we will have played everyone in our group and be in a better position to judge.

Stuttgart88
03/03/2006, 7:30 AM
Most of the criticisms of Kerr boil down to team morale and spirit. This was never a problem in his era in friendlies but rather in some big competitive games. Tactics & substitutions too.

I though a refreshing change was that we got a look at a lot of the emerging talent. It was nice to see Ireland get more of the action than McGeady got for example, and it was also refreshing to see tactical flexibility, which is something that Kerr, to his credit, realised we needed but never quite got to grips with.

But yes, nothing much can be read into the win, but it's good to get a good start. Under Mick, it took us about half a dozen games just to get a 2-2 draw with Croatia.

Wednesday reminded me a bit of the 3-0 against Denmark in 2002, with Duff rampant on the wings, a long range goal and just a generally good, entertaining win.

drinkfeckarse
03/03/2006, 8:09 AM
Same here. Kerr had a cracking record in friendlies, so did McCarthy.

There's a long way to go alright although I will say it's the first time I've actually enjoyed an Ireland friendly in a while. We may have had a decent friendly record under Kerr but most of the time it was muck to watch and rarely had more than a goal or two in it.

as_i_say
03/03/2006, 8:40 AM
There's a long way to go alright although I will say it's the first time I've actually enjoyed an Ireland friendly in a while. We may have had a decent friendly record under Kerr but most of the time it was muck to watch and rarely had more than a goal or two in it.

first time ive enjoyed any ireland game in a long time!

NeilMcD
03/03/2006, 9:14 AM
Holland away in a friendly was a great performance in my view, probably better than the other night and I left the ground that night high as a kite, on the football of course.

keenanboy
03/03/2006, 10:41 AM
It was a refreshing performance and glad to see the capacity crowd weren't disappointed. I was actually astonished so many people turned up. I think securing a friendly in May is extremely important now...August is a fair bit away. First Ireland game I've enjoyed since Paris, and in hindsight we should have won there.

drinkfeckarse
03/03/2006, 12:01 PM
Holland away in a friendly was a great performance in my view, probably better than the other night and I left the ground that night high as a kite, on the football of course.

Yeah that was good, I should've clarified that it was friendlies at Lansdowne I was on about, I suppose the sh!te atmosphere never helped either though.

NeilMcD
03/03/2006, 12:06 PM
We moan an awful lot about ****e atmosphere but we got 44,000 the other night and we have been getting these crowds for a long time. There were 12,000 in Cardiff for a friendlyl think about that and there were 20,000 in Hampden. I think we like to knock ourselves an awful lot but there is no thread on here saying what a good attendance we get for friendlies. This wa not a one off either we regularly get over 40,000 for our friendlies.

drinkfeckarse
03/03/2006, 1:52 PM
We moan an awful lot about ****e atmosphere but we got 44,000 the other night and we have been getting these crowds for a long time. There were 12,000 in Cardiff for a friendlyl think about that and there were 20,000 in Hampden. I think we like to knock ourselves an awful lot but there is no thread on here saying what a good attendance we get for friendlies. This wa not a one off either we regularly get over 40,000 for our friendlies.

All good points but I'm not questioning the attendance:confused:
There can be 60,000 in a stadium and still be a sh!te atmosphere. I wasn't moaning about it either as the reasons for it have been done to death on here...

CollegeTillIDie
03/03/2006, 5:48 PM
Maybe Stan should quit while he is ahead with a 100% record :D

blobbyblob
06/03/2006, 9:09 AM
Indeed, friendlies count for little but it was the manner in which the team applied themselves, the positions taken up and the hunger shown by all concerned. Well done to Stan for instilling this so early on.

Mores the pity that the same players couldnt show the same hunger in the last campaign. Watching this game, you have to feel that Brian Kerr was cheated by his players.

Bets of luck to Stan. Lets hope that when the novelty of the new appointment and regime wears off, that this squad dont cheat him (and us!).

thejollyrodger
06/03/2006, 10:36 AM
Two early defeats to Germany and Czech and we will all be calling for his head :D

colster
06/03/2006, 10:47 AM
Indeed, friendlies count for little but it was the manner in which the team applied themselves, the positions taken up and the hunger shown by all concerned. Well done to Stan for instilling this so early on.

Mores the pity that the same players couldnt show the same hunger in the last campaign. Watching this game, you have to feel that Brian Kerr was cheated by his players.

Bets of luck to Stan. Lets hope that when the novelty of the new appointment and regime wears off, that this squad dont cheat him (and us!).

I don't know how you can take that from the game. I think that's a bit of an over-reaction.
We got very close to qualifying for the last WC. The players always turned up for Kerr but never really hit top form for him. I don't think that was the player's cheating Kerr. They just didn't seem to respond to him.
Kerr seemed a very cautious manager. He worried a lot about the other team. He seemed to forget one of the most basic rules of management i.e. that a happy employee is a productive employee.

pete
06/03/2006, 1:22 PM
In hindsight a 3-0 win in 1st game has burdened Staunton with high expectations from the fickle irish public.