PDA

View Full Version : Staunton urges players to entertain

silentbob
01/03/2006, 10:34 AM
Taken from football365

Republic of Ireland manager Steve Staunton is demanding his players light up Lansdowne Road on Wednesday to offer hope of a bright future.

Staunton begins his reign with a friendly against Sweden, and he has selected a team full of pace and youth, with not one player over 30 and at an average of just under 25. If this is the way ahead, and a statement of intent from Staunton, then it bodes well.

"I've said before, I'm a winner," said Staunton. "But tomorrow I want to see my players excite me and the fans, and give them something to look forward to."

He added: "We're all very down at not qualifying for Germany, but if the lads produce tomorrow what I've seen in training over the last two days, and do what we all know they can do, then everybody will get a lift.

"That's what I'm looking for, and while results are obviously important, they are more important in the competitive games."

I like what i'm hearing from Stan here. Friendly matches are usually very boring but hopefully tonight we will get a bit of entertainment.

NeilMcD
01/03/2006, 10:39 AM
Its the journalist that has used the word Entertain not Staunton.

joema
01/03/2006, 10:51 AM
Hope this doesnt mean the fans will sit back, stay quiet and WAIT to be entertained. We all have to play our part and be as vocal as possible. I know its only a friendly but I think it will be really important to create a good atmosphere tonight

onenilgameover
01/03/2006, 11:16 AM
This is good stuff comin from stan...I'm not too worried about the result its more the tone and the way we play rather than the result. A high scoring game would do everyone some good IMO. So glad its not a friendly under BK

noby
01/03/2006, 11:19 AM
Its the journalist that has used the word Entertain not Staunton.
In fairness, even in those quotes he said 'excite', so I don't think 'entertain' is out of context with the jist of the quote.

joema
01/03/2006, 11:20 AM
So glad its not a friendly under BK

Yeah, me too - really looking forward to tonight