PDA

View Full Version : Ward goal ends miserable run for Ireland U21s

A face
01/03/2006, 1:25 AM
Ward goal ends miserable run for Ireland U21s

Republic Under-21s 1 Sweden Under-21s 0

Bohemians striker Stephen Ward tonight made it three goals in three matches to fire Republic of Ireland Under-21 manager Don Givens’ side to a third successive victory. Ward, who scored in the Republic’s closing two games of their recent Madeira Tournament success against Finland and Portugal, had the only goal of the game in the 77th minute.

Victory over Finland two weeks ago ended a miserable 10-game winless streak that had followed on from their previous 13-match unbeaten run. Alex Bruce was handed a debut just two weeks after confirming his allegiance to the Boys in Green.

Read more at www.breakingnews.ie (http://www.breakingnews.ie/story.asp?j=201311520&p=zxy3yz335&n=201312406&x=)

tricky_colour
01/03/2006, 1:56 AM
Well things are looking up for the U21's, lets hope we get a similar result
later today!!
Well done to the boys in green!!

razor
01/03/2006, 7:44 AM
the only bad thing is that its keeping L@nger Givens in a job.

as_i_say
01/03/2006, 8:13 AM

i dont think it makes any difference. that tool could sleep with delaneys wife and still keep his job.

eirebhoy
01/03/2006, 8:49 AM
Well things are looking up for the U21's
I had a bet on the U21s winning because they usually do well at this stage. When the qualifiers come around they'll be rubbish again.

Stuttgart88
01/03/2006, 9:11 AM
can regular Ward watchers pls comment on him?

I've only seen him once, against Swiss U21s and I thought he looked good, albeit up against a good defence. Good touch for a tall guy. Similar in style to Richard Sadlier in a way. Similar ability too?

pete
01/03/2006, 9:47 AM
I don't think Ward is a forward. Better winger.

Dassa
01/03/2006, 10:09 AM

This is the one negative in situations like this wherby you want the manager out but you still have to cheer on your team knowing if they win he keeps his job.

cheifo
01/03/2006, 4:06 PM
Saw him play against us(Finn Harps) last year.Looked quality albeit on the wing.Dassa, hope Peter Thompson gets a runout for N.I. tonight.

Slash/ED
01/03/2006, 4:17 PM
Ward is average enough. Good touch but not much pace and doesn't impose himself the way someone of his height should do to compensate for that. I doubt he'll ever be a full international anyway but this is a big season for him.

pete
02/03/2006, 9:49 AM
Ward gets a few U21 games & now he calling for move to the UK. I wonder what Don Givens been saying to him?

Tenderloins
02/03/2006, 11:07 AM
"Ipswich Town manager Joe Royle is interested in signing Bohemians wunderkind Stephen Ward.
Royle was at United Park on Tuesday night keeping tabs on the 20-year-old who scored in the Republic of Ireland Under 21's 1-0 victory over Sweden.
Ward first came to the attention of Ipswich two weeks ago when he was voted player of the tournament at the Madeira Tournament and the Tractor Boyz are expected to monitor the Bohemians player's progress before the transfer window opens in July"

tetsujin1979
02/03/2006, 11:12 AM
Ward gets a few U21 games & now he calling for move to the UK.
Don't think he's been calling for a move, but I wouldn't be too surprised if Givens has had a word with a few managers in the Championship

pete
02/03/2006, 11:25 AM
I wouldn't be too surprised if Givens has had a word with a few managers in the Championship

eL clubs as ultimately Givens boss so he shouldn't be allowed to have a scouting/pimping job on the side. He has a track record at this.