PDA

View Full Version : Cork v Drogheda

Pages : [1] 2

Poor Student
27/02/2006, 9:02 PM
I found the first half a bit boring but found the second half to be an entertaining affair. Decent attacking play from both sides. Brilliant goal from Behan (that man loves the Setanta Cup ;)). Pity Drogs had to get two men sent off. Poor discipline. Doolin will no doubt be angry. The second half has really whetted my appetitie for the new season.

ccfcgirl
27/02/2006, 10:05 PM
As a City fan Im happy with the 2 -0 win .Behans goal was excellent ,Not the best of games though In freezing conditions (Boy was it cold).For Citys first game at turners cross ,I thought there was poor attendence.The shed was missed for the athmosphere.

Poor Student
27/02/2006, 10:08 PM
Rico's nose and ears were an unhealthy shade of purple.

The absence of the Shed made a big difference on TV. My brother who wasn't aware of the development was very confused when we walked into the room and saw it was Cork at home.:p

ndrog
27/02/2006, 11:24 PM
Ref was a f@ckin discrace .Sendings off where a joke.Drogs were the better side overall.Great strike for behans goal but i felt we were getting the upper hand at that point.Georgie was his usual self .Playing dirty and trying to get players booked.2 freekicks blocked by the hand werent noticed and c obriens tackle was easily as bad as bradley and also went unpunished.As for faheys sending off ! Pathetic.:mad:

EireBadBoy
27/02/2006, 11:40 PM

Good! :D

dcfcsteve
27/02/2006, 11:48 PM

Has he been on the sauce with Georgie or something.....? :p

A face
27/02/2006, 11:57 PM
Ref was a f@ckin discrace

Yeah, you know it wasn't going to be good when Hoggie was nearly crippled a few minutes in and no card. The both reds were deserved though it has to be said !!
And playing for a draw in the first was never a good idea to be fair, Doolin has to sort this out for ye.

Risteard
27/02/2006, 11:58 PM
Fahey definately deserved his second booking for sliding in on Murphy. The first one, though petty and deserving of a yellow was just a stupid thing to do.
Then stood around the dug-out giving ridiculous childish abuse to City players.
Drogs were much the stronger team in the first half. City showed better form after the break. After Behans rasper, the lack of Drogs discipline was just silly more than anything.
I wouldn't be happy with Bradley and Fahy if i was you.
1nil wasn't a big gap.

City looked efficient in the 2nd half and the defence wasn't severely breached at all really despite a few Drogs efforts from around the box.
Left winger urgently required though.

Soko
28/02/2006, 12:01 AM
It was a pre-season game. It means nothing. I'd be more worried about getting our pitch in better nick for the league than this athough we'll be pretty much sure of qualifying now.

A face
28/02/2006, 12:12 AM
I'd be more worried about getting our pitch in better nick for the league than this athough we'll be pretty much sure of qualifying now.

Just let these lads know that ... munsterfa@eircom.net

ndrog
28/02/2006, 12:21 AM
Yeah, you know it wasn't going to be good when Hoggie was nearly crippled a few minutes in and no card. The both reds were deserved though it has to be said !!
And playing for a draw in the first was never a good idea to be fair, Doolin has to sort this out for ye.

I was actually refering to C o briens tackle that was completely ignored , by a cork ref ! which was the same as the sending off offence.The panel on setenta refered to it. and how do you make out that we played for a draw.Before the goal cork had no clear cut chances.2 clear handballs go unpunished.Cork still played poorly when we where down to 9 men.Poor game but one that we definetly didnt deserve to loose.Looking forward to playing you in united park.Before all the madness we played more football than you did !

Soko
28/02/2006, 12:36 AM
Cork still played poorly when we where down to 9 men.Poor game but one that we definetly didnt deserve to loose.Looking forward to playing you in united park.Before all the madness we played more football than you did !

I often wonder where some people come up with these assertations based on what you previously admitted was a poor game of ball. How did you play more football? I just saw 2 teams playing their second competitive match of the season but you managed to see some footballing masterpiece from Drogheda it seems.

We could have gotten a couple more if we went for the kill with 9 men. I thought it was as plain as day but obviously not for some.

el punter
28/02/2006, 1:30 AM
I thought the first sending off was harsh, and the Drogs have a case for saying that Fahey's free's were both blocked by an arm....although perhaps Fahey's inability to get the ball over the wall is a bigger issue than giving out about ref's decisions.

Cork were good for the 1-0 win, and I thought there was some decent football played in spells

SeanDrog
28/02/2006, 6:51 AM
How can he get it over the wall if some cheat keeps sticking his arm in the air to block it?

Everyone knows it , we all know it and the Corkies will of course talk it down and make all their usual claims but that sending off was a disgrace and the second sending off was a direct result of it. The ref destroyed the game and Drogs had no chance against that Cork based offical.

We are very happy with our performance , a lot happier than some of the Corkies I have spoken too , some not to happy with diving Georgie at all or the game plan of playing from one side of the ptich to the other then back again then losing the ball then repeat .

Grea goal from behan but watch the game again that is all Cork did all night, a good individual effort but as a team I saw nothing to be afraid of this year.

razor
28/02/2006, 7:59 AM
Poor enough game overall, bloody freezing as well.
First sending off was harsh, Anders obviously saw it as violent conduct as the player kicked George as opposed to trying to trip him.
Fahey had been mouthing earlier and could have went for the 2nd yellow alone. Declan O'Brien committed more fouls than any other player on the pitch and escaped without any type of card.
Faheys couldn't get his free kicks over Behan, he's a big young fella. ;)
Did Drogs really pay 50K for yer man Barrett?
2nd goal unlucky on Gavin, not so on Connor though.:D

Risteard
28/02/2006, 8:06 AM
second sending off was a direct result of it.
Explain.

razor
28/02/2006, 8:15 AM
Think he means that because of the 1st sending off Fahey felt such a grave feeling of injustice against Kelly that he decided to kick Danny Murphy up into the air after the ball had gone, knowing he was already on a yellow.
Fahey is a good player but his temperament is very suspect.

Tenderloins
28/02/2006, 8:44 AM
Another refereeing masterclass from Alan Kelly, who must be the most inconsistent official in the league. How O'Brien was not even booked, especially as it was only minutes after Bradley and Fahey were dismissed.
Cork lack of transfer activity showed too. They could do with a few signings just to freshen things up a bit.
Danny Murphy didn't play well either , Fahey had the beating of him.

BohDiddley
28/02/2006, 9:22 AM
Red cards were a joke, and blatant handballs from City were ignored.
Why is this ref so consistently the centre of attention? Doolin looked like his head was going to explode, and who could blame him?
After that performance, even allowing for preseason and pitch, I'd feel a lot happier about the prospect of facing Cork.

ollie
28/02/2006, 9:37 AM
the pitch didn't look bad to me..?
first sending off was harsh.second was definitely deserved.i agree that colin o brien should have been booked if the referee was going to be consistant but by the same token drogheda should have had a more yellows in the first half which kelly turned a blind eye to.

tiktok
28/02/2006, 9:39 AM
How can he get it over the wall if some cheat keeps sticking his arm in the air to block it?

Behan handled the ball on the edge of the box twice, the ref missed it.

Everyone knows it , we all know it and the Corkies will of course talk it down and make all their usual claims but that sending off was a disgrace and the second sending off was a direct result of it. The ref destroyed the game and Drogs had no chance against that Cork based offical.

The sending off was a little harsh, if I'#d been a ref I'd have booked him, at the time I was more pannoyed that Behan didn't keep going, but there had been a lot of niggly tackles flying in in the couple of minutes just before that. Behan was free and clear and the ball was nowhere near when your player kicked out at him, the ref saw it as violent conduct, which it's hard to argue against

The second sending off was as a direct result (and ONLY as a direct result of) Fahey's losing the head. He should have kept his mouth shut, and then when he got booked he shouldn't have been storming around looking for revenge, that was a cast-iron correct decision.

Others have mentioned it, but Colin O'Brien's tackle was a booking IMO too, but a worse tackle by O'Brien was left go completely in the first half.

We are very happy with our performance , a lot happier than some of the Corkies I have spoken too , some not to happy with diving Georgie at all or the game plan of playing from one side of the ptich to the other then back again then losing the ball then repeat.

I thought it was the best I'd seen you play since Doolin took over, Barrett looked good, nice bit of pace and Gray and especially Gavin did well in the centre (excepting the O.G.). At the same time, Doolin should have noticed how weak we were defending our left and Fahey (who'd done well up to when he lost it) didn'y see enough of the ball.

It looked more like a preseason friendly than a competitive match though.

I don't understand the obsession with G'OC though???

Poor Student
28/02/2006, 9:44 AM
For the first sending off, I say good enough for him. I'm sick of teams about to set off on a great break and possibly score only to see the move cynically chopped down in the middle of the park by a well timed foul.

The pitch wasn't entirely awful, particularly considering the state it can often find itself in down there, but it wasn't great.

pete
28/02/2006, 9:45 AM
Pitch was a lot better than this time last year, plenty of grass on it so just needs to be cut tighter & watered. Should be perfect in a few weeks.

Crowd at approx 3000 not great by our standards but few Setanta Cup games will beat it.

Game was typical City v Drogs game. City were poor in attack but Drogs lacked ambition & just looked to counter attack.

Super finish by Behan ever if builduo not for the purists.

Referee was poor all night. Booked George for tackle but left O'Brien away with 5-6 in the 1st half alone. Drogs had clearly targetted George & he was lucky to stay on the pitch when reacting to heavy tackles. 1st sending off was justified red card as no attampt to play the ball even if contact was not dangerous. 2nd sending off was just plain stupid & unprofessional. I am happy that neither City player feigned injury.

I think Doolin starting to feel the pressure of expectations as seen in post match interview.

daveh
28/02/2006, 9:52 AM

What has the fact that kelly is from Cork got to do with it?it always amuses me when we get slated for having a cork official ref 1 or 2 of our home games a season(none of which are in the league btw)and we get dub refs up in dublin and at home when were playin dub teams!
If anything Kelly seemed to favour ye in the first half by refusing to book any drogheda players for some consistent fouling and a few hefty challenges,especially the one on hoggy,that was an awful challenge and you cant deny that,ref could have laid down a marker at that point that might have seen no drogheda player sent off

Peadar
28/02/2006, 9:54 AM
After that performance, even allowing for preseason and pitch, I'd feel a lot happier about the prospect of facing Cork.

When does your Setanta Sports Cup campaign start?

The pitch wasn't entirely awful, particularly considering the state it can often find itself in down there, but it wasn't great.

The pitch was more of a problem for us than it was for the Shít Dublin Suburb so I can't see what they're moaning about. It's funny how the mullaghs go on about Georgie diving when their boys were falling around like 15 year olds on Junior Cert results night.

You simply weren't good enough last night!
Even though we didn't play well, you were still 1-0 down with 11 men on the pitch. The pressure is really getting to Doolin now.

Dricky
28/02/2006, 10:00 AM
The red cards ....Silly silly thing to do in front of the ref. one was a sneaky kick with behan going straight on to goal it wasn't a late tackle it was a kick.

The red mist caused the second red.

The blame for those lies with Drogs.

Behans goal was enough to finish drogs off, they can chase all they want they didn't have too much of the ball after that.

ColinR
28/02/2006, 10:02 AM

:rolleyes:

you responded to posts by ucd and bohs fans??????

you do know that they weren't playing last night

shedite
28/02/2006, 10:18 AM
Both red cards were deserved in fairness.

I agree that O'Brien should have been booked, and both his kick and the drogs red card kick looked similar. The difference however was that where O'Brien kicked, the ball was in the vacinity a half second earlier, wheras for the drogs one, the ball was a few yards ahead of behan who was a yard ahead of the drogs player. No attempt/possibility of playing the ball.

Alan Kelly is indeed from Cork, and I agree he shouldn't ref Cork games, but only if Dub refs are banned from reffing Dublin games. We've been shafted so many times in the past :mad:

ColinR
28/02/2006, 10:43 AM
Alan Kelly is indeed from Cork, and I agree he shouldn't ref Cork games, but only if Dub refs are banned from reffing Dublin games. We've been shafted so many times in the past :mad:

and cork fans never complained then - so likewise we shouldn't complain now ;)

i think that eL refs are generally so incompetant that when they do have their regular bad nighs, occasionally losing supporters will blame it on a bias that isn't there.

ideally, there should be no refs from dublin covering dublin, cork covering cork etc - but it happens. the only official in the eL from drogheda is baz mcdonell - a linesman. anytime he was done the line in our matches, i have always felt that he over compensates his decisions to the other team, in order to avoid any accusations of bias. i'd say the same goes for other officials (including kelly) in similar situations.

Peadar
28/02/2006, 10:49 AM
Anyone who claims that the red cards were down to Alan Kelly being incompetant or biased is just clutching at straws.

Drogheda failed to score (in the opposition goal at least), Cork City FC scored twice. Result!

ndrog
28/02/2006, 10:59 AM
When does your Setanta Sports Cup campaign start?

The pitch was more of a problem for us than it was for the Shít Dublin Suburb so I can't see what they're moaning about. It's funny how the mullaghs go on about Georgie diving when their boys were falling around like 15 year olds on Junior Cert results night.

Even though we didn't play well, you were still 1-0 down with 11 men on the pitch. The pressure is really getting to Doolin now.

What f@ckin game where you watching ? How was the pitch more of a problem for you lot.We tried to play on it , not you.The team from the munster ****hole proved last nite why it wont win anything This season.You simply arent good enough ! Speaking of pressure ? hows rico gonna be treated when you win F@ck all ?

Mod Edit - ndrog Tone down the language a tad please. You can make your point just as effectively without resorting to it. James

micls
28/02/2006, 11:08 AM
What f@ckin game where you watching ? How was the pitch more of a problem for you lot.We tried to play on it , not you.The team from the munster ****hole proved last nite why it wont win anything This season.You simply arent good enough ! Speaking of pressure ? hows rico gonna be treated when you win F@ck all ?

City played Sh!te, we know we played sh!te but we still beat ye 2-0.....
If were not good enough then I cant imagine when drogs will be when they again finish more than 20 points behind us.

Ffs have a bit of cop on and try not to presume you know wats gonna happen betwenn now and november based on what is essentially a preseason game

Risteard
28/02/2006, 11:16 AM
:D :D :D
WUM
Just read through your posts on this topic.
You can't be serious and over 14.
+
Watch your language.

I don't think anyone 'proved' anything last night but i thought of Drogs the same as i've thought the last 2 or 3 seasons.
ie, Jays, they look solid out, possibly as good a 20 players as Shels but inconsistent.
Maybe Doolin might sort that out this season.
As i said Drogs bossed the first half without much of an end product.
City upped the tempo for a bit in the second half and got a peach of a goal.
All of a sudden there's ridiculous dissent and kicks going in as if it was a real hot-headed affair all along.
Game over.
Are ye not slightly peeved off that Bradley and Fahey (two of your best players imo) didn't just get their heads down and keep at City instead of losing them*?
*their heads

Rochey
28/02/2006, 11:18 AM
The pressure is really getting to Doolin now.

Thats a stupid statment you clown Doolin is hardly under pressure. Last season Drogheda had the most successful year in their history. We are two games into the setanta cup with the best squad ever essembled at Drogheda. So we lost a game in tuners cross we could still top the group and can still easily come second never mind the fact that the league hasnt even started yet. So pressure my Ass. Just because the cork fans climb onto the back of their players and manager when they lose a game doesnt mean Drogs fans do. Pressure :rolleyes:

sfc red
28/02/2006, 11:31 AM
To say that any referee is BIASED is ludicrous IMO. Poor or incompetent is a different thing altogether You honestly think the ref starts out hoping one team will beat the other??

ndrog
28/02/2006, 11:42 AM

City played Sh!te, we know we played sh!te but we still beat ye 2-0.....
If were not good enough then I cant imagine when drogs will be when they again finish more than 20 points behind us.

Ffs have a bit of cop on and try not to presume you know wats gonna happen betwenn now and november based on what is essentially a preseason game

First of all its not preseason for us .This is very much part of our season.Are you persuming that we will finish more than 20 points behind you.Woops almost forgot.Your allowed to presume things .Where not .Risteard , i am really annoyed by our players getting sent off .But i dont think there was any malace intended from fahey.Bradley lashed out , which was stupid.It was no more than C o brien did .Whats the difference ? excuse the bad language .

Schumi
28/02/2006, 11:47 AM
I thought Drogheda looked better than what I saw of them last season, Barrett looks a good signing; he caused the Cork left-back a lot of problems. The first sending off was harsh, a yellow would have been fair. Fahey can have no complaints though, a really stupid foul when he was on a yellow. :rolleyes: Gavin was lucky not to be booked for all his mouthing too.

Risteard
28/02/2006, 11:52 AM
Fair enough.
I'm afraid i'm suffering from a Wenger like amnesia though in regard to Colin O Briens tackle.
Might see it on highlights somewhere yet.

pete
28/02/2006, 11:58 AM
Lets not forget that it was 1-0 before any of the sendings off.

Bradley was dismissed for violent conduct - he did not get red card for the trip but the intent to harm opposition player.
Fahey was given 2nd yellow card as referee clearly thought he had the red mist as was still worked up from his 1st yellow card - very similar to much publicised Chelsea player in CL last week.

Drogs squad has a lot of potential but Doolin does not seem to let his players express themselves & too negative for my liking. However its early in the season & could do well if get good start in the league. 50k for Barett is insanity.

Peadar
28/02/2006, 12:07 PM
you clown

I think I'll have to start reporting all this name calling and personal attacks.

Looks like the pressure is getting to the fans as well as Doolin.

Colm
28/02/2006, 12:33 PM
Drogs fans are hilarious! They really believe the sh!te that Doolin comes out with! Just think if they manage to win the cup again this year they will be as good as Longford, that's some achievement!:rolleyes:

It was a poor game last night but there's no doubt that we were the better team even though we never really played to anywhere near our potential.
Drogs are terrible and won't do anything of note again this season.

DruggyDrog
28/02/2006, 12:48 PM
Even allowing for the natural conflict of opinion from opposing fans, i have to say that some of the Cork comments are a tad crazy.

Firstly, yes, you won the game 2-0. Fair play, good 3 points to pick up. But you did not create ONE chance all day. A piece of individual brilliance from Behan (good player) and a deflected own goal won the game. While we didn't exactly cut ye open or anything, Robinson, Fahey and Bradley were all on the end of good moves only to shoot slightly high, while Gavin should have at least hit the target from Fahey's corner.

Neither side caught fire at any stage, typical 2nd match of the season, cork managed to convert their half chances, drogheda didn't.

Big deal, but fact of the matter is that Kelly is a bad ref when he's neutral, even worse when he's reffing a cork match. He didn't lose us the game, but he surely helped the cork cause more than the drogheda cause.

And Doolin under pressure?? Laughable, the cup win has, rightly or wrongly, bought him at least another season to do thisngs his way. No manager unde rless pressure at the moment.

ColinR
28/02/2006, 12:49 PM
Drogs fans are hilarious! They really believe the sh!te that Doolin comes out with! Just think if they manage to win the cup again this year they will be as good as Longford, that's some achievement!:rolleyes:

why do so many people think that most cork fans are unbelievably arrogant - see colm's post. what longford did was some achievement. in two years, their small town club won more than your club had in its first twenty years as the only club in the countries second largest city. that is some achievement, and i would be proud to match

It was a poor game last night but there's no doubt that we were the better team even though we never really played to anywhere near our potential.

judging by the reaction of the neutrals on this board, it would appear that there is doubt about who was the better team. the neutral responses seem to make a lot more sense than either sets of fans who have contributed to the thread.

Drogs are terrible and won't do anything of note again this season.

well if this proves to be as stupid a statement as the rest of your post, we might have another good season ahead of us :D

daveh
28/02/2006, 12:56 PM
Firstly, yes, you won the game 2-0. Fair play, good 3 points to pick up. But you did not create ONE chance all day.

Thats an interesting one!!we won 2-0 and didnt create ONE chance in the process!!thats some sort of minor miracle is it?You were obviously watching the game with Alan Matthews or something!

DruggyDrog
28/02/2006, 1:22 PM
Ok, daveh, point out any chances cork created??? There aren't any! Simon Webb, our left back, presented what can only be described as a half chance to Denis Behan. Only his brilliance meant that it resulted in a goal. No creating a chance from cork on that one. Then Jason Gavin was unfortunate to knock an innocuous cross into his own goal. Again, no sign of cork creating anything. Both your goals were 'created' by mistakes in our defence, the only two mistakes they made all night.

I applaud cork for managing to win the game, as you say it was 2-0, but I stand by my earlier statement, cork did not create one proper goalscoring opportunity all night (the fact that the ball ended up in our net twice does not necessarily indicate that cork created two chances).

Risteard
28/02/2006, 1:25 PM
Every back-pass to Connor should surely be considered a chance. There was loads of them.:D

pete
28/02/2006, 1:25 PM
why do so many people think that most cork fans are unbelievably arrogant - see colm's post.

Colm doesn't speak for all of us. We all not as arrogant as he is :D

Dricky
28/02/2006, 1:29 PM
So if you use that rational, Drogs did nothing. We did hit the post twice which is about 10ft closer than any of Drogs 'chances'.
The ball in from Gamble created the Own goal, and you are right Behans wasn't a chance it was pure and utter brilliance.

DruggyDrog
28/02/2006, 1:36 PM
Heart in my mouth for every back pass alright, at least it keeps everyone on their toes!!
Drogheda didn't exactly create a whole lot either. 2 shots from edge of area, Robinsons and Faheys, all as a result of passing moves up the park. Not calling them chances, but they were all our own work and just needed more compusure with the finish. Bradleys shot on the other hand was a clear chance, great pass from Fahey, good movement and control by Barrett, fine cut back to Bradley who only had the keeper to beat from 18 yards. The fact that he wasted it does not mean it wasn't a chance.

daveh
28/02/2006, 1:42 PM
Ok, daveh, point out any chances cork created??? There aren't any! Simon Webb, our left back, presented what can only be described as a half chance to Denis Behan. Only his brilliance meant that it resulted in a goal. No creating a chance from cork on that one. Then Jason Gavin was unfortunate to knock an innocuous cross into his own goal. Again, no sign of cork creating anything. Both your goals were 'created' by mistakes in our defence, the only two mistakes they made all night.

I applaud cork for managing to win the game, as you say it was 2-0, but I stand by my earlier statement, cork did not create one proper goalscoring opportunity all night (the fact that the ball ended up in our net twice does not necessarily indicate that cork created two chances).

Well we obviously differ in opinion as to what a goal scoring chance is but from my point of view anyway any goal thats scored,apart from some ridiculous own goals,has to be influenced in some way by the attacking team in the process,making it into a chance for them.I dont agree with this half-chance thing,if its a chance its a chance,obviously some are better then others but so-called half-chances are still goal-scoring oppurtunities.

For instance,would you say that gambles cross for the own-goal was not a chance?whenever the ball is played into that sort of area theres always a chance IMO........now that ive explained my "chance " philosophy my honest opinion of the game last night is that city played poor in the 1st half,improved in the 2nd half and were worth a 1-0 win,happy we scored 2 though.Drogheda played well enough throughout in fairness and I wouldnt have been complaining if we went in 1-0 down at half-time,so all in all a good win against an improved drogheda side who will do well this season