PDA

View Full Version : Credit/Bank Card Skimming

blobbyblob
27/02/2006, 8:25 AM
Anyone been a victim of credit/bank card skimming.

Just spotted over the weekend that my account was cleared out while I was on holidays in Kerry.

What are the banks like investigating this?

Do you have much comeback. Theyve told me it will take 10 working days to get the machines transactions and not a whole lot after that.

Magicme
27/02/2006, 8:32 AM
**** thats terrible...imagine being on holiday in Kerry!

Sorry all joking aside, that is terrible. Feckers.

Block G Raptor
27/02/2006, 8:33 AM
You've no comeback really as far as I know. so I wouldn't hold much hope of seeing your money again.
This happened to my brother in-law on christmas eve and he never got a cent back. Sorry to hear about it happening to you.

finlma
27/02/2006, 8:40 AM
Sorry to hear it Blobby. It happened to me when I was living in London but the fraud department of HSBC picked up on it and called after some suspicous transactions.
All my money was returned to me. Banks should have some sort of insurance to cover skmming. Its not accepaible that you should lose your money because of they're inadequate security.

Again buddy sorry to hear it and hope you get the money back.

blobbyblob
27/02/2006, 8:40 AM
The irony of it is how I found out. I was using the card to book a holiday to Spain when the payment was declined. Is that irony?

God I feel sick.

tiktok
27/02/2006, 8:42 AM
Anyone been a victim of credit/bank card skimming.

Just spotted over the weekend that my account was cleared out while I was on holidays in Kerry.

What are the banks like investigating this?

Do you have much comeback. Theyve told me it will take 10 working days to get the machines transactions and not a whole lot after that.

Happened a girl at work, she was fully reimbursed once after she made her complaint to the Gardai and it only took about a week for the bank to sort her.

blobbyblob
27/02/2006, 8:44 AM
Sorry to hear it Blobby. It happened to me when I was living in London but the fraud department of HSBC picked up on it and called after some suspicous transactions.
All my money was returned to me. Banks should have some sort of insurance to cover skmming. Its not accepaible that you should lose your money because of they're inadequate security.

Again buddy sorry to hear it and hope you get the money back.

My only fear is that this is Ireland. My bank have always been useless and the credit card insurance that Im paying probably covers me for nothin.

A fool and his money..., eh! Someone deserves a good kicking.

Dodge
27/02/2006, 8:51 AM
Is it your bank card or credit card. AFAIK Credit Cards are much easier to reclaim money from

Ash
27/02/2006, 9:05 AM
With credit cards you can issue a chargeback on fradulent transactions.

Bank card skimming happened to a lad in work and as far as I know he
got cash back from the bank. Although I think there was some issue that they
had his pin number so it wasnt the same as just robbing him. Cant remember the
full ins and outs but I'll try to find out

blobbyblob
27/02/2006, 9:07 AM
Is it your bank card or credit card. AFAIK Credit Cards are much easier to reclaim money from

Credit Card from a BOI First rate?!? bank machine in Killarney

Dodge
27/02/2006, 9:23 AM
Just get on to as many people as possible. Banks, Credit card companies, garda, the bank machine it was skimmed, the citizens advice people, maybe even newspapers. Cause as much fuss as possible. Banks do not like bad publicity

Peadar
27/02/2006, 9:31 AM
I know people who have had either bank cards or credit cards skimmed and all have had their accounts fully restored by the banks. You have to make a complaint to the Gardaí otherwise they can't help you or help prevent this.

Gareth
27/02/2006, 9:37 AM
Seen many many incidents of this kind whilst an employee of a bank. Dreadful when it happens to you. In come cases, full refunds, in others, none. All depended on how it was taken. Seen some really awful cases of this.

finlma
27/02/2006, 9:40 AM
Just get on to as many people as possible. Banks, Credit card companies, garda, the bank machine it was skimmed, the citizens advice people, maybe even newspapers. Cause as much fuss as possible. Banks do not like bad publicity

I doubt the bank machine will say much Dodge. He was probably threatened by the purpotrator. :D

Sorry, couldn't resist.

blobbyblob
27/02/2006, 9:48 AM
I know people who have had either bank cards or credit cards skimmed and all have had their accounts fully restored by the banks. You have to make a complaint to the Gardaí otherwise they can't help you or help prevent this.

I dont know of anyone that it has happened to and never thought it would happen to me. Didnt think it was as widespread but seems like everyone here knows someone that it has affected.

Surely its time for banks to rethink the design of their machines to attempt to prevent this from happening.

Dodge
27/02/2006, 10:12 AM
I doubt the bank machine will say much Dodge. He was probably threatened by the purpotrator. :D

Sorry, couldn't resist.
In my head I typed, the bank where the machie was... :D

paul_oshea
27/02/2006, 10:51 AM
**** thats terrible...imagine being on holiday in Kerry!

LOL, thats well funny, magicme, you're getting funnier.

blobby thats terrible though, you get it all back though dont ye?!?!

pete
27/02/2006, 10:55 AM

I've also heard that people get fully reimbursed when bank & gardai been notified although the fact it got cleared out while you on holidays might look suspicious...

paul_oshea
27/02/2006, 10:56 AM
the credit card insurance that Im paying probably covers me for nothin.

ya if its debit its not repaid but if its on the credit then you are alright.

Babysis
27/02/2006, 11:55 AM
My brother had money taken from his account like that too. I think he had to notify the bank, they sorted everything out from there. Though Im sure he will tell you all the specifics himself when he is next on here.

Dodge
27/02/2006, 11:57 AM
I dont know of anyone that it has happened to and never thought it would happen to me. Didnt think it was as widespread but seems like everyone here knows someone that it has affected.

In fairness, its about 6 people.

blobbyblob
27/02/2006, 1:15 PM
In fairness, its about 6 people.

Kick me when Im down. lovely.

Peadar
27/02/2006, 1:25 PM
Kick me when Im down. lovely.

Reported the crime to the Gardaí yet?

the 12 th man
27/02/2006, 1:32 PM

Ditto for a colleague of mine,reported to Garda and reimbursed within 2 weeks by AIB in Dublin.Money taken from atm miles from where he lives.

hamish
27/02/2006, 3:01 PM
My sympathies Blobbyblob but I do feel you're entitled to your money back. I got ripped off in 1984 when my cc's were stolen and luckily I was quick to report it and all illegal transactions were sorted. I'd check with the consumer association on this.
Do any of you, when withdrawing money from the hole in the wall, run your hands around the square of the machine to see if anything loose is attached??
I know it sounds daft but I always do this.:o
Another annoying thing is when you're at the drink link to have someone gawking over your shoulder. Anytime this happens to me I turn around and ask the person to back off and if he doesn't get the message - to fcuk off. That really annoys me that does.:mad:
Ditto the new way of paying in stores when you're asked to enter a pin number rather than signing the receipt.
Always bring home my receipts from all transactions and never request a receipt from the drinklink 'cos in any case you can get the balance from the screen before you withdraw money so receipt is unnecessary.

monkey magic
27/02/2006, 9:35 PM
know it wouldent have helped in your case, blob, but i try and use only banklinks that im know and use regularily, therefore im more likely to notice something suspicious.

btw, hard luck man, heres hoping it works out regards getting your money back

anto1208
27/02/2006, 9:55 PM
it happened a friend of mine they took 1000 euro from her account she rang the bank they didnt seem interested and never stopped the card and another 500 was taken from it the next day ,

if it comes from your current account they have to replace it , i mean what good is a bank if it gives your money to some one else :D
i dont know about credit cards but id be ****ed if i was paying off some one else's spending

dfx-
28/02/2006, 12:01 AM
It happened to me as well, though I noticed in time to stop the bank card and so they couldn't actually use any of the details they had got.

Now I look back on it, it is frightening what could've happened and I'm sorry for you blobbyblob..it was an atm that I used all the time though when I seen someone on a mobile off to my right it distracted me and went ahead put my card in and was really surprised by the slow-ness of the card coming back out..walked off down the road...came back 15 mins later and that same person was on the mobile in the same place with a huge queue at the machine. Walked home and realised, went to the machine a few minutes later, the girl was gone and so was the card skimmer. I went in and cancelled it and nothing was touched, it took me a week before I could relax and trust they got nothing, but I can still remember that queue of people who they probably did get..:mad:

Only for people knowing about it like the nagging doubt I had walking back past, you wouldn't have thought anything different about it and therefore it's so so easy to get caught..

Den Perry
01/03/2006, 5:40 PM
Ditto for a colleague of mine,reported to Garda and reimbursed within 2 weeks by AIB in Dublin.Money taken from atm miles from where he lives.

Blobby, happened my mate while on Holiday.....AIB Reimbursed him . This was about two years ago

Dodge
01/03/2006, 8:35 PM
Any uopdates blobby?

sligoman
04/03/2006, 2:15 PM
Blobby, have you "Card Alert/CPP" on your account? If so, then yer covered. It covers your card(s) from been used fraudulantly(sp?), so you should get all your money back.

blobbyblob
06/03/2006, 9:56 AM
Happy Days people. All sorted out thank god. Thanks for the advice/support. Wouldnt wish it on anyone. You really do feel violated.

I have developed an irrational fear of bank machines now and have resorted to pulling at their plastic covering to see if they have been tampered with prior to using them.

I have also adopted some unorthadox standing positions to guard my pin from visability of others.

Glad to see Ulster Bank have placed big warnings on their screens warning of the dangers.

Macy
06/03/2006, 10:01 AM
Always cover your pin - with you free hand or wallet. Stops the camera above the machine or someone behind you looking. Apparently it's the most effective thing you can do to protect your pin.

I have to say, I try and avoid outdoor bank machines these days. Probably no difference, but I think it would have to be harder for them to tamper with one in a shop.

Good to read you've got your money back anyway...

Block G Raptor
06/03/2006, 3:44 PM
Nice one Blobb delighted for you

hamish
06/03/2006, 4:15 PM
I have also adopted some unorthadox standing positions to guard my pin from visability of others.

Same here blobbyblob:D

Way to go - great news.:)

Dodge
06/03/2006, 7:33 PM
Good news. Good to see this site is doing something more than passing time in work :)

Tenderloins
07/03/2006, 12:56 PM
Must say I'm so wary now using an ATM, as said before by somebody, its better to use them inside the shops.

Wasn't there a story in the papers a while back where some of the 'skimming' was in fact kids 'borrowing' the parents ATM or Credit cards, taking a few bob out and them putting the cards back again.