PDA

View Full Version : eL Player of the Year Award

micls
26/02/2006, 7:30 PM
Apologies if there's a thread about this somewhere else but didn't see it.

Congrats to George o' Callaghan for winning the award :)

Fair play to other nominees Peter Hutton and Joe gamble as well.

Personally thought Joe would get it but fair play Georgie

adamcarr
26/02/2006, 8:01 PM
Much deserved.

Georgie is God!

A face
26/02/2006, 8:18 PM
Made up for Georgie to be honest, fair play to him. Hopefully he wont leave it there and go for it this year too.

Speranza
26/02/2006, 8:50 PM
So instead of outlawing diving in the game the FAI go and award a serial cheat by giving him POTY. Joe Gamble strikes me as a model pro and a superb footballer but Pizza would honestly be much more deserving of this award giving his commanding preformances all year.

A face
26/02/2006, 8:56 PM
So instead of outlawing diving in the game the FAI go and award a serial cheat by giving him POTY. Joe Gamble strikes me as a model pro and a superb footballer but Pizza would honestly be much more deserving of this award giving his commanding preformances all year.

I dont think any of them would have got strange looks if they won.

To be honest, at the rick of this exploding again, i think the diving thing is being exaggerated. I mean can any of you name a player who have never dived in his entire career ... see its impossible. Is Georgie a target for this kind of thing ??

Anyway ... its done now, for the rest of this year Cork City FCs George O'Callaghan is the eircom Leagues Player of the Year

Drumcondra Red
26/02/2006, 8:59 PM
George O'Callaghan won player of the year??? fcuk me! It sends out a great message when a cheat wins an award like this!!! I'm gobsmacked!

A face, he does a lot more then dive, he's a filthy, rotten cheat, end of! I'm so upset by this!!!

Gareth
26/02/2006, 9:03 PM
I dont think any of them would have got strange looks if they won.

To be honest, at the rick of this exploding again, i think the diving thing is being exaggerated. I mean can any of you name a player who have never dived in his entire career ... see its impossible. Is Georgie a target for this kind of thing ??

Anyway ... its done now, for the rest of this year Cork City FCs George O'Callaghan is the eircom Leagues Player of the Year

You might see players fall under light contact but George has a knack of falling under no contact and regardless of his playing ability, I think there is a good reason so many players dislike him and its not jealousy of his abilities. This is not an attack on Cork. Just a dislike of the type of player O'Callaghan is.

His offfield antics have nothing to do with his player of the year award Roy. You are just giving ammunition to discredit your post by mentioning it!!

A face
26/02/2006, 9:05 PM
Alright lads .... in all the awards tonight, here was two possiblities of an eircom League player winning ... eircom League award and the one where two Shels kids and a UK based player were in the running, under 16 or something.

I would be more upset by that ... Football Association of Ireland and five eircom League players were in the running for the whole awards. That is alarming, that is where you should vent your anger.

The guy won it, it is a good player ... he is of the calibre deserving of the award, please stop the in-fighting that goes on in our league, its an award. Leave him enjoy it.

A face
26/02/2006, 9:10 PM
Alright lads .... in all the awards tonight, here was two possiblities of an eircom League player winning ... eircom League award and the one where two Shels kids and a UK based player were in the running, under 16 or something.

Who won that actually ... i cant remember ??

Gareth
26/02/2006, 9:32 PM
I would be more upset by that ... Football Association of Ireland and five eircom League players were in the running for the whole awards. That is alarming, that is where you should vent your anger.

The guy won it, it is a good player ... he is of the calibre deserving of the award, please stop the in-fighting that goes on in our league, its an award. Leave him enjoy it.

The award was Eircom League Player of the Year.I don't understand your in-fighting comment. It was hardly likely for anyone other than an Eircom League player to win this award so we are discussing the award based on our league. I am sure he will enjoy it regardless of whether I post that I think he has a poor sportsmanship ethic about him

A face
26/02/2006, 9:44 PM
The award was Eircom League Player of the Year.I don't understand your in-fighting comment. It was hardly likely for anyone other than an Eircom League player to win this award so we are discussing the award based on our league. I am sure he will enjoy it regardless of whether I post that I think he has a poor sportsmanship ethic about him

Gar, what i'm saying is that there were five domestic player up for awards tonight, the three lads and two Shels kids .... and there were 17 awards in total i think they said.

Is that not scary to you .... By the in-fighting i mean, the thrashing out of this diving thing when we cant see the woods from the trees. I mean if all us eL fans have to give out about is the diving then there in lies the problem.

The FAI should have at least one academy in Ireland instead of relying on English clubs to train players over there. It is glaringly obvious how bad the problem is there tonight. That is what i'd be picking up on. I was actually going to go off on a rant in my first post but i said i wouldnt take from the award.

Gareth
26/02/2006, 10:53 PM
A face, I understand your point, but in reality, is there any real surprise in that stat? Maybe in time, things will change.

A face
27/02/2006, 12:25 AM
A face, I understand your point, but in reality, is there any real surprise in that stat? Maybe in time, things will change.

Do you know what .... there was some great football on show this year with the most televised games i can remember ever in the eircom League. A montage of some of the best footage for 3-4 mins would have turned alot of heads there tonight. RTE do it all the time at the end of the premeirshi* every week, it wouldn't be too big a task to come up with the same from 2005 season.

Shamelessly promoting the domestic game so any young lads watching would try and emulate it in years to come. Why cant it be put on a Pedestal? Every other country across Europe are doing it and take pride in it, and imo that was the perfect opportunity to do it.

Gareth
27/02/2006, 9:31 AM
Agreed A Face.

higgins
27/02/2006, 10:08 AM
Gar, what i'm saying is that there were five domestic player up for awards tonight, the three lads and two Shels kids .... and there were 17 awards in total i think they said.

Is that not scary to you ....

17 awards yeah but did you really want some of the EL lads in the womens section? Wasnt there two life time or merit awards that couldnt have had an EL player in them really.

and as was pointed out the thread is about the el Player of the Year Award and cold not go to anyone outside of the el and I dont think George was deserving of this from what I have seen of him.

Colm
27/02/2006, 11:12 AM
Fair play to Georgie. He's well deserving of this award.

He's turned himself into a model professional both on and off the field in the past year and I'm delighted to see him get such recognition.

Hulsey
27/02/2006, 11:40 AM
I would have given it to Joe Gamble.

Dodge
27/02/2006, 11:53 AM
Fair play to Georgie. He's well deserving of this award.

He's turned himself into a model professional both on and off the field in the past year and I'm delighted to see him get such recognition.
Apart from the drink driving conviction, obviously.

Thought it should've gone to gamble myself

Colm
27/02/2006, 12:01 PM

I said "in the past year".
He's the ultimate pro now and imo the best player in the EL along with Joe Gamble.

Dodge
27/02/2006, 12:09 PM
The conviction was in 2005, no?

A face
27/02/2006, 12:12 PM
The conviction was in 2005, no?

Yeah, but the offence was good few months before that.

pete
27/02/2006, 1:13 PM
George gets the headlines but a lot of City fans would have said Gamble more consistent last season.

The football writers don't have any agendas unlike the players so have to believe theirs is an unbiased award.

I thought the awards show was drivel. Very poor clips shown of any players & more interested in pre & post awards music guests. Kevin Doyle won the U21 award & i think all (vast majority anyway) of his caps came as Cork City player yet we get no mention. Just to be clear international awards are awarded based on ireland performances not club games.

Roo69
27/02/2006, 1:21 PM
Who actually voted for this ?

pete
28/02/2006, 9:23 AM
Who actually voted for this ?

Sports writers.

Dodge
28/02/2006, 10:53 AM
"selected panel" of sports writers

joeSoap
28/02/2006, 11:18 AM

Why oh why do people have to stoop to this level all the time. He was caught drink-driving- so too were thousands of others. I'm not aware that you need a driving licence to play football. Stop the mud-slinging ffs. George o'Callaghan is a fine footballer, who as a person has flaws like you and I. He is no better than us, but certainly no worse than us either.

Try keep football award debates confined to football, not dredging up somebodys private life. Its more fun that way.

Raheny Red
28/02/2006, 11:22 AM
Your only saying that because of your sig :p :D

Dodge
28/02/2006, 11:28 AM
Why oh why do people have to stoop to this level all the time. He was caught drink-driving- so too were thousands of others. I'm not aware that you need a driving licence to play football. Stop the mud-slinging ffs. George o'Callaghan is a fine footballer, who as a person has flaws like you and I. He is no better than us, but certainly no worse than us either.

Try keep football award debates confined to football, not dredging up somebodys private life. Its more fun that way.
Look at what I quoted when I wrote that, before going off on a diatribe. it was a direct response to Colm

joeSoap
28/02/2006, 11:37 AM
Look at what I quoted when I wrote that, before going off on a diatribe. it was a direct response to Colm
Colm stated that O'Callaghan had made strides both on and off the pitch. Then you threw in your ignorant jibe about his drink driving conviction. You could have chose to comment on how the lad seems to have gotten his act together since his problems, but in a most stereotypical manner, you chose to put the boot in.

Oh, and a diatribe is a bitter or abusive critical attack in speech or writing. I'm cetainly not being bitter or abusive here. Your petty little remarks about a mans personal life would be far more a 'diatribe' than mine.

Dodge
28/02/2006, 11:45 AM
Colm stated that O'Callaghan had made strides both on and off the pitch. Then you threw in your ignorant jibe about his drink driving conviction
First of all this is what he posted

He's turned himself into a model professional both on and off the field in the past year
I posted that in the year 2005 he was convicted of a drink driving charge, therefore he was not a model professional off the field.

You could have chose to comment on how the lad seems to have gotten his act together since his problems, but in a most stereotypical manner, you chose to put the boot in.
How is that stereotypical? Stereotypical of who? Anyway I could've also posted that O'Callaghan is the biggest cheat I've ever seen in this league and his constant moaning and whinging means he is also far from the model professional on the field but chose not to. It can work both ways joe...

Oh, and a diatribe is a bitter or abusive critical attack in speech or writing. I'm cetainly not being bitter or abusive here. Your petty little remarks about a mans personal life would be far more a 'diatribe' than mine.
One remark, thats all.

joeSoap
28/02/2006, 11:55 AM
What galls me is the way people in general,(not you specifically Dodge) love to focus on knocking somebody who has acheived something. I understand its second nature to slag off and criticise opposition players, but I must admit that I find it hard to take when I see someones personal life being dragged through the gutter just because certain people don't like what he does on a football field.

Dodge
28/02/2006, 12:19 PM
Agree in general joeSoap but in this instance, it was another post from a Cork fan trying to proclaim that one o their palyers is perfect (See 2 years ago for John O'Flynn etc)

I was just showing that he wasn't. He's the most talented player on this island and for all his faults I'd love to sign him but he's not perfect, and to calim otherwise deserves to be answered

A face
28/02/2006, 2:25 PM

Totally agree with this sentiment ... couldn't have worded it beter and i would love to see behaviour and comment change.

The thing is though i have seen the same from some City fans over other issues in the past, Colm has seen it too and would know that we cant take the high moral ground on this one. But yeah i have to agree ... its best left aside.

razor
28/02/2006, 2:44 PM
For someone who is far from Georgies biggest fan, I will have to concede that there is truth in Colms statement.
And while he may have been convicted in 2005 the event happened sometime before that, therefore giving the lad sometime to sort himself out.
Some of his antics on the pitch still frustrate me though.

CollegeTillIDie
01/03/2006, 7:56 AM
For someone who is far from Georgies biggest fan, I will have to concede that there is truth in Colms statement.
And while he may have been convicted in 2005 the event happened sometime before that, therefore giving the lad sometime to sort himself out.
Some of his antics on the pitch still frustrate me though.

Not having a go at Georgie but so called professional Irish soccer players here and across channel.. they are too fond of the jar! Which could be one element in the poor performances of the International team.
Continental players do not drink as much as Irish and other so -called professionals born on that other Island off the North coast of France!

Colm
01/03/2006, 9:42 AM
Not having a go at Georgie but so called professional Irish soccer players here and across channel.. they are too fond of the jar! Which could be one element in the poor performances of the International team.
Continental players do not drink as much as Irish and other so -called professionals born on that other Island off the North coast of France!

Not that it's anyone's business but George doesn't drink anymore and hasn't done in a year and a half.

I really think that if some of you knew the effort the guy has made you wouldn't be coming out with your ill-informed comments. I've been on nights out with the guy and even after we won the league when all the other players were falling around the place locked and everyone was drinking out of the cup and celebrating, Georgie didn't have a drop. Perhaps people should take things like that into account before they start spouting rubbish in future.

Cosmo
01/03/2006, 11:06 AM
Not that it's anyone's business but George doesn't drink anymore and hasn't done in a year and a half.

I really think that if some of you knew the effort the guy has made you wouldn't be coming out with your ill-informed comments. I've been on nights out with the guy and even after we won the league when all the other players were falling around the place locked and everyone was drinking out of the cup and celebrating, Georgie didn't have a drop. Perhaps people should take things like that into account before they start spouting rubbish in future.

Nah, its more fun dragging up the stupid off the field mistake he made - a bit like cork supporters keep on dragging up the mistake barry ryan made a while back

Btw for the record, I thought gamble would win it myself

Dodge
01/03/2006, 12:34 PM
Not that it's anyone's business but George doesn't drink anymore and hasn't done in a year and a half
I know for a fact thats a lie. Saw him ****ed and falling over himself about 6 months ago.

Best of luck, hope he sorts himself out but don't try and pretend he's an angel

A face
01/03/2006, 12:56 PM
I know for a fact thats a lie. Saw him ****ed and falling over himself about 6 months ago.

God bless your eyesight there Dodge, that is better than X-Ray vision ... seeing things that dont happen, that is some talent there fella !! :rolleyes:

Colm
01/03/2006, 1:03 PM

100% not true Dodge.
As I said, I've been out with him a good few times and no matter how ****ed everyone else is he manages to stay off it. Loads of other people from Cork City will tell you the same.

A face
01/03/2006, 1:11 PM

Track back there to six months ago and have a look at the fixtures there willya ... ffs Dodge .... its not even that it matter to be fair.

Cosmo
01/03/2006, 1:19 PM
Track back there to six months ago and have a look at the fixtures there willya ... ffs Dodge .... its not even that it matter to be fair.

In fairness A face, would that have really mattered considering your players were allowed go on the lash for 2 weeks before the cup final according to some of your supporters on your forum

Btw fair play to him if he has stayed off the booze (if its true)

Also I dont begrudge any player having a few pints, couldnt care less if they're putting stuff up their noses once they did the business for the drogs on the pitch!!

Dodge
01/03/2006, 2:29 PM
Whats the fixtures got to with me seeing him drunk?

A face
01/03/2006, 2:42 PM
In fairness A face, would that have really mattered considering your players were allowed go on the lash for 2 weeks before the cup final according to some of your supporters on your forum

I know and i agree, but they just won the league, and totally under-estimated Drogs, their mistake ... they'll learn from it.

Btw fair play to him if he has stayed off the booze (if its true)

Its true alright .... and to be fair its not just that, he is very active off the pitch with lots of PR etc. .... the guy is putting in a good effort, he deserves that.

Also I dont begrudge any player having a few pints, couldnt care less if they're putting stuff up their noses once they did the business for the drogs on the pitch!!

Well i wouldn't got that far. A pint is alright yeah but leave it there.

Whats the fixtures got to with me seeing him drunk?

Dodge, come on man .... this is totally unfounded and its poor form in my opinion.

Cosmo
01/03/2006, 3:05 PM
Dodge, come on man .... this is totally unfounded and its poor form in my opinion.

Did he not say he saw him himself?

Dodge
01/03/2006, 3:11 PM
I did. But I'm leaving it now

CollegeTillIDie
03/03/2006, 6:53 AM

Well I was thinking more on the line of Premiershi* based players like our new national team captain ;)