PDA

View Full Version : Beckham baffled by son's homework

sligoman
26/02/2006, 6:10 PM
Superstar David Beckham, whose mental agility has been questioned before in the media, has said his six-year-old son's maths homework leaves him baffled.

The England captain and Real Madrid midfielder was forced to call on his wife Victoria, a former member of the Spice Girls pop group, to help their son Brooklyn with a school assignment because the footballer found the sums too difficult.

"Their homework is so hard these days," Beckham, 30, said in an interview with the Mail on Sunday. "It's totally done differently to what I was teached when I was at school, and you know I was like 'Oh my God, I can't do this'."

Multi-millionaire Beckham, who has become regular tabloid fare because of his dress sense and hairstyles, said after failing in mathematics he offered to read a book with Brooklyn instead.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/26022006/80-132/beckham-baffled-son-s-homework.html

micls
26/02/2006, 6:14 PM
Superstar David Beckham, whose mental agility has been questioned before in the media, has said his six-year-old son's maths homework leaves him baffled.

The England captain and Real Madrid midfielder was forced to call on his wife Victoria, a former member of the Spice Girls pop group, to help their son Brooklyn with a school assignment because the footballer found the sums too difficult.

"Their homework is so hard these days," Beckham, 30, said in an interview with the Mail on Sunday. "It's totally done differently to what I was teached when I was at school, and you know I was like 'Oh my God, I can't do this'."

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/26022006/80-132/beckham-baffled-son-s-homework.html

Thank god this man can play football

Poor Student
26/02/2006, 6:30 PM
He said teached and not taught just to crown it off it seems.:D

A face
27/02/2006, 12:31 AM
Oh my gawd !! :eek:

Dazzy
27/02/2006, 8:30 AM
He said teached and not taught just to crown it off it seems.:D

I bet he was glad no UCD fans were around at the time:D

ollie
27/02/2006, 11:53 AM
why does this not surprise me...?:eek:

Metrostars
27/02/2006, 2:45 PM
Thank God this man can play football.

We are all so proper, are we not today?

micls
27/02/2006, 2:57 PM
We are all so proper, are we not today?

:confused: :confused:

hamish
27/02/2006, 3:41 PM
There's a channel called "The Great British Quiz", it's the channel just before BBC1 on the Sky set up.
For the last week - at least - they have a maths question and nobody can get it right.
This is exactly as it's shown

Twenty five divided by five =

1+2+3 x 4 =

12 x 0 =

101 - 99 =

The contestants are asked to add up the totals after =.

I got 31 but someone else phoned that number in and was called wrong???

I mean 25 divided by 5 is 5.
1 plus 2 plus 3 is 6, multiplied by 4 is 24
12 times nothing is 0
101-99 is 2

So, 5 + 24 + 0 + 2 is 31.

It's on channel 166.

Where's the catch here??:confused:

Some have given answers like 1306.125 etc but no one can figure it out.

Schumi
27/02/2006, 3:47 PM
1+2+3 x 4 = 15

There's no brackets so you multiply the 3 by the 4 first and then add the rest.

Roo69
27/02/2006, 3:51 PM
1+2+3 x 4 = 15

Nerd :D

micls
27/02/2006, 3:52 PM
1+2+3 x 4 = 15

Yep answer is 22 i think

no one can figure it out.

Thats surprising... spose people forget the little things they learn in primary school

hamish
27/02/2006, 3:55 PM
Yep answer is 22 i think

22 has just been phoned in and adjudged wrong and 31 was phoned in again -wrong again too.

I also multiplied 4 by 3 to get 12 and added 1+3 and ended up with 22 total but no luck there either.:confused: :confused:

Is this some kind of con??

micls
27/02/2006, 3:59 PM
http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=431900&postcount=2

hamish
27/02/2006, 4:06 PM
Just turned it on there it says add the numbers not the answers

Now I'm totally baffled?? What's with the "=" and the "x" so???

BTW 222 and 252 were also adjudged wrong.

Maybe this is the homework Beckham is puzzled about???:D

micls
27/02/2006, 4:10 PM
Now I'm totally baffled?? What's with the "=" and the "x" so???

BTW 222 and 252 were also adjudged wrong.

Maybe this is the homework Beckham is puzzled about???:D

I thik the answer is either 24 or 54 again depending on the written numbers. Its a -99.

The = and x are to confuse and make it more difficult-itd be too easy otherwise :)

hamish
27/02/2006, 4:13 PM

How did you get that??

BTW I've no intention of entering this - probably costs a fortune to phone in although some woman from Wexford tried last week.

Anyway if the answer WAS 244 AND I phoned in and got it right that would be lousy of me OSO - and you know I wouldn't dream of doing that to you.

You know that. Don't you.:D

EDIT - talk about a coincidence:eek: - as I typed this someone called Hamish** has this second phoned in with 52 - wrong also.

(**It was Hamish as in Hay-mish not Ham - ish, as my nickname is pronounced .

22 has just been phoned in again.:D

BTW the prize is £27.840 for this answer.

A face
27/02/2006, 4:50 PM
I think a few of ye are better off following David Beckhams lead ... he has started playing jig-saws (http://www.lib.uwo.ca/weldon/news/hottopics/images/cornflakes.jpg) with Brooklyn, its way easier !! :)

hamish
27/02/2006, 5:11 PM
I think a few of ye are better off following David Beckhams lead ... he has started playing jig-saws (http://www.lib.uwo.ca/weldon/news/hottopics/images/cornflakes.jpg) with Brooklyn, its way easier !!

LOL - that maths problem is doing my head in - time for tottywatch for a while.:D

monkey magic
27/02/2006, 9:23 PM
Just turned it on there it says add the numbers not the answers

maybe then they are suggesting that you do not include the first part as its written and not stated numerically, in which case the answer is 17

P.S. feel free to phone this in hamish, being away at college means i no longer have the luxury of sky at my disposal for such pursuits:(

hamish
28/02/2006, 12:14 AM
maybe then they are suggesting that you do not include the first part as its written and not stated numerically, in which case the answer is 17

P.S. feel free to phone this in hamish, being away at college means i no longer have the luxury of sky at my disposal for such pursuits:(

'Fraid to say that 17 was also given but no luck monkey magic.:confused:

dfx-
28/02/2006, 12:30 AM
That's like things they have on ntl with a channel called ftn...a 'simple' statement with the task set as "add the numbers" or "count the spaces"...it can go days without an answer because they have it such a way...so the odds of you getting the money are so little when added to the odds of actually of getting through, but they still get the revenue....that would perfectly pay for the outlay of such a 'huge' prize...

I swear I'm not cynical at all....:o :D

hamish
28/02/2006, 1:10 AM
That's like things they have on ntl with a channel called ftn...a 'simple' statement with the task set as "add the numbers" or "count the spaces"...it can go days without an answer because they have it such a way...so the odds of you getting the money are so little when added to the odds of actually of getting through, but they still get the revenue....that would perfectly pay for the outlay of such a 'huge' prize...

I swear I'm not cynical at all....:o :D

Seriously, you're right dfx - to me it's con, probably legal, but still a con.

CollegeTillIDie
28/02/2006, 7:41 AM
I think a few of ye are better off following David Beckhams lead ... he has started playing jig-saws (http://www.lib.uwo.ca/weldon/news/hottopics/images/cornflakes.jpg) with Brooklyn, its way easier !! :)

I love that story and also this alleged story about him...
A few years ago when Victoria Beckham was resembling a stick insect..
a journalist is supposed to have asked him..
" How do you react to reports that your wife is anorexic?"
" It's rubbish... she never wears anoraks!":D

YoungHoop
28/02/2006, 9:52 AM
answer has to be 34

Twenty five divided by five = 5

1 + 2 = 3 + 3x4 = 15 / 1+2+3 x 4 = 24

12 x 0 = 12

101 - 99 = 2

answer is 34 / answer 43

the secrect with the wretin question is it shows you how to read the sums! its no 0 multiplied by 12 its 12 multiplied 0 as you read it! im prob well wrong but seems to make sence to me!

micls
28/02/2006, 10:16 AM
its no 0 multiplied by 12 its 12 multiplied 0 as you read it! im prob well wrong but seems to make sence to me!

What difference would that make :confused:

monkey magic
28/02/2006, 1:28 PM
no matter what way you put it, 12 x 0 does not equal 12 mate.

harpskid
28/02/2006, 7:35 PM
12 times nothing....to mean 12 on it's own not multiplied by anything would be 12. :o

As opposed to nothing 12 times which is nothing...:confused:

Think that's what he's getting at...

anto eile
28/02/2006, 9:11 PM
care to try 17?
discount twenty five by five cause its not a number as such

doh!
hadnt read that 17 was already given

YoungHoop
01/03/2006, 1:35 PM
no matter what way you put it, 12 x 0 does not equal 12 mate.

should have known someone with a signature like this never argue with an idiot... they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience would say this

i think you will find that if you went to school and you had 12 sweets and you were told that if noone else int he class has no sweet how many sweets in the class are there??? 12

now if there are 12 people in the class all with 0 sweets then there are 0 sweets get it????

12 x 0 = 0

twelve multiplied by 0 = 12

no you understand fool child??? people who left school at twelve should get the beckham maths book.... not so busy at maths

monkey magic
01/03/2006, 3:59 PM
should have known someone with a signature like this never argue with an idiot... they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience would say this

i think you will find that if you went to school and you had 12 sweets and you were told that if noone else int he class has no sweet how many sweets in the class are there??? 12

now if there are 12 people in the class all with 0 sweets then there are 0 sweets get it????

12 x 0 = 0

twelve multiplied by 0 = 12

no you understand fool child??? people who left school at twelve should get the beckham maths book.... not so busy at maths

your a bright one arent ya

12 multiplied by 1 is 12
this can also be written as 12 x 1 = 12

12, when multiplied by nothing is nothing
this can also be written as 12 x 0 = 0

take out a calculator or ur fone and work it out ya muppet.

the level of maths ability in this country at the moment is frightening

BTW im a fourth year in college studying for me degree so your comment bout dropping outta school at twelve is a bit ill informed. but ill forgive ya cos your so obviously very young

YoungHoop
02/03/2006, 9:29 AM
your a bright one arent ya

12 multiplied by 1 is 12
this can also be written as 12 x 1 = 12

12, when multiplied by nothing is nothing
this can also be written as 12 x 0 = 0

take out a calculator or ur fone and work it out ya muppet.

the level of maths ability in this country at the moment is frightening

BTW im a fourth year in college studying for me degree so your comment bout dropping outta school at twelve is a bit ill informed. but ill forgive ya cos your so obviously very young

my god you are thicker than i expected!!!!!!

twelve multiplied by zero equals twelve now you get it you think half wit!!!! i need you to explain yourself as to why you are the only one who did not understand??? you would want to be carefull one of the ucd boys may have to come to your gaff for after school lessons... maybe you'd like that :)

monkey magic
02/03/2006, 10:05 PM
i have a sig for this kind of situation, but anyways.. ill ask you to do just one thing: take out a calculator or a mobile phone with a calcualtor on it, and enter the following 12 X 0, and hit the equals button. thats all ill ask you to do as ive no interest in teaching you your twelve times tables.
after that im gonna assume that youve figured this out by now and your winding me up, because it is frankly beyond belief that you would spend so much time and effort trying to tell me that 12 x 0= 12 without even checking if you were right.

if theres any other rovers fans watching this, would you kindly show your young friend the error in his ways cos hes not doin ye any favours here:rolleyes:

strangeirish
02/03/2006, 10:08 PM
i have a sig for this kind of situation, but anyways.. ill ask you to do just one thing: take out a calculator or a mobile phone with a calcualtor on it, and enter the following 12 X 0, and hit the equals button. thats all ill ask you to do as ive no interest in teaching you your twelve times tables.
after that im gonna assume that youve figured this out by now and your winding me up, because it is frankly beyond belief that you would spend so much time and effort trying to tell me that 12 x 0= 12 without even checking if you were right.
:

David, David, David.......tut,tut,tut.:D Isn't it Brooklyn's bedtime?

monkey magic
02/03/2006, 11:22 PM
David, David, David.......tut,tut,tut.:D Isn't it Brooklyn's bedtime?

:D :D
bless him though, hes just so eager to learn..

sfc red
02/03/2006, 11:46 PM
Ah lads I cant believe you've spent so much time and effort on this when THESE PROGRAMMES ARE A CON.

hamish
03/03/2006, 1:39 AM
My self and Shakedown were.........eh.........analysing it earlier.

If you look at the line:

Twenty-five divided by five =

Is it twenty DOT and then 5 divided by five =???

or

Is it twenty POINT five divided by five = ????

Also the question said
"Add the numbers"
Now is that:
add the numbers and IGNORE the pluses, multipication, equals signs?

Also, do they mean by "adding the numbers" that you ignore the TYPED numbers??

Does 25 written have a HYPHEN between the twenty and the five??

Finally, are numbers numbers when they're spelled out??

For the lads above arguing about 12 x 0

12 x 0 = 0
12 x 1 = 12
12 x 2 = 24
etc

This "quiz" has been moved to Sky's Gaming section - channel number 840.

Schumi
03/03/2006, 12:35 PM
Twenty-five divided by five =
Twenty minus five divided by five?

YoungHoop
06/03/2006, 12:41 PM
this has really gotten on my goat that monkey actually thinks that im the thick one here so i want to try and explain it to him once more!

ok what i was saying was that by the first line being wretten you do the sum as you were reading it like the first line of the sum - Twenty five divided by five with me so far?? so the next part that i will try to explain is the part you dont seem to be able to catch! 12 x 0 which equals 0 BUT if you read it as it is wretten twelve multiplied by zero !!! what woudl the answer be??? think about it

you have 12 of somthing you mulitpli it by zero how much of the thing do you have left????

Yes your correct 12!!!!!

Now do you final get what im talking about