PDA

View Full Version : UCD 5 Kilkenny 1

Poor Student
26/02/2006, 3:13 PM
Scorers were Sammon (2), Quinn, C. Byrne. A sloppy goal conceded near the start. Play picked up a hell of a lot when Tony Mac came on as a sub. I'm sure Pineapple will post the lineup and changes later on if he can be bothered.;)

pineapple stu
26/02/2006, 3:24 PM
Ciarán Quinn also scored to make it 5-1 in the end.

Poor Student
26/02/2006, 3:29 PM
Was it 5? I really don't remember.:confused:

pineapple stu
26/02/2006, 3:30 PM
Actually, you're missing Podge's goal - the deflected shot which looped over the keeper to make it 2-1.

Poor Student
26/02/2006, 3:58 PM
You're right. 5-1, there you go then. Please change the thread title when you're around Schumi.

pineapple stu
26/02/2006, 4:30 PM
Suppose the aul match reports are back for the new season!

Four goals in a 25 minute spell in the second half brought UCD's pre-season to life on the Foster's Avenue pitch to put a slightly unfair gloss on the scoreline against Kilkenny.

Having played Athlone and Monaghan - two of the weakest teams in the First Division in recent seasons - in the pre-season so far and having failed to register a goal, there was a bit of trepidation about the game against Kilkenny, another of the weaker Division One clubs, a game played just 16 hours after the tie at Athlone. Those worries were increased after just two minutes of the tie when Kilkenny took a sloppy lead, and indeed more than held their own in a scrappy first half, where the state of the pitch did little to allow good football. The teams did reach the break level when Conan Byrne found space on the left side of the penalty area to drive past the Kilkenny keeper, who later made a good save to keep out Ciarán Quinn's after a good run and cross from Byrne.

At half-time, UCD brought on Stephen Hurley, and then made seven subs at once ten minutes into the half. Instead of causing the game to grind even further to a half, however, the changes turned the tide completely in College's favour. First up, Pat McWalter picked the ball up ten yards inside the Kilkenny half, burst forward to the edge of the area and struck a shot which took a deflection off a Kilkenny defender to loop over the keeper and nestle into the net. Then Conor Sammon found space on the right of the box to power past the keeper in a very similar manner to Byrne's earlier equaliser. Sammon made it 4-1 shortly after when leaping like a salmon (had to get it in!!) to head home a corner from the right before Ciarán Quinn rounded off the scoring with a lob from outside the area with the Cats' keeper in no-man's-land. In between, Tony McDonnell also had the ball in the net but was ruled narrowly offside.

So finally a good pre-season result for UCD, and this without Darren Quigley and Gary Dicker, who were rested ahead of Ireland's U-21 game with Sweden on Tuesday. Particulay encouraging was the news that all five goals were scored by forwards, which was UCD's big problem last season and biggest worry ahead of next year.

UCD - Hussey; Matthews, Ryan, Kenna, Shortall; Harte, McWalter, Cawley, Murray; McWalter, Quinn. Subs - Hurley for Murray (h/t); McDonnell, McNally, McEniff, Mahon, Sammon, Doyle and Finn for McWalter, Byrne, Ryan, Harte, Kenna, Shortall and Cawley (55 mins)

Poor Student
26/02/2006, 6:53 PM
On that showing I'd actually like to see Sammon as a starting striker in the league. His first goal was taken very well. I expected him to square it to whoever was in the centre for a tap in but he finished very nicely into the net. I remain to be convinced by him though I've always thought he looked decent enough but not very threatning. He offers height and mobility which is always something I like to see. If nothing he could prove a more effective option off the bench than he was last season. I'm really look forward to seeing our first choice eleven in action with Dicker and Tony Mac pulling the strings in the centre and Podge on top form.

Schumi
27/02/2006, 1:02 PM
Trust the team to score 4 goals in the 35 minutes I wasn't there. :rolleyes:

Poor Student
28/02/2006, 4:01 PM
Apparently the game never happened. For days aertel had the score of the Bray game yet ours was down as still having to be played at 3:00. Now it has just mysteriously disappeared.:rolleyes:

http://www.rte.ie/aertel/p233.htm

One for errortel?

John83
28/02/2006, 7:20 PM
One for errortel?
I've made screen capture. It'll appear in the next update. :D

Poor Student
28/02/2006, 8:57 PM
I've made screen capture. It'll appear in the next update. :D

John it's time I get credited for these, I'm on a full time errotel watch.:D

John83
01/03/2006, 9:39 AM
John it's time I get credited for these, I'm on a full time errotel watch.:D
As you wish (and I remember) ;)

Magicme
01/03/2006, 9:53 AM
Where Kilkenny really ****poor? Was their much difference between the way Kilkenny looked and us a few weeks ago? Have u made many changes to warrant such a good result? Give me hope for the season and tell me we will have no problems trouncing Kilkenny!

Glad to see Quinner got on the score sheet. As Stu will know from the Mons board I reckon Quinn could be a fantastic footballer given the right situation and some confidence. Best of luck Ciaran for the season, and remember I believed in you when no one else did!

CollegeTillIDie
03/03/2006, 4:55 PM
Good old Magic Me

Talent spotter supreme :)

Magicme
06/03/2006, 8:36 AM
Good old Magic Me

Talent spotter supreme :)

In more ways than one! ;)

Naw just feel he got a rough deal for too long and has more to contribute than people believe. Hope it works for him....if it doesn't....dont blame me!