PDA

View Full Version : Eircom Awards: Women nominees

CollegeTillIDie
25/02/2006, 6:40 PM
Women’s International Player

Ciara Grant — Arsenal FC
Ciara is the captain of Ireland who began her career in her native Waterford with Benfica. She won Senior and Under 18 W.F.A.I. Cup winner's medals in her mid teens. She moved to Arsenal in 1998 and has been with the Gunner's ever since. Won this award in 2000.

Laura Hislop — Franklin Pierce College FC NH, USA
Northern Irish born player who declared for the Republic of Ireland at Under Age Level. She has represented the Republic at Under 17, Under 19 and Senior International Level. Laura is a striker who played for Lisburn Distillery in Northern Ireland before getting a scholarship to Franklin Pierce College in New Hampshire in the USA. Has been a regular member of the squad since 2000.

Michelle O’Brien — Long Island Lady Riders FC NY, USA
Former Florida International University player who is currently with Long Island Lady Riders. American born Michele O'Brien began her career at St. Anthony's High school she starred for the Golden Panthers from 1998-2001. Michelle gained international recognition in 2001 and has also played for Arsenal in the Women's English F.A. Premier League.

Women’s Under-19 International Player

Niamh Fahey — Salthill Devon FC
Galway native who also excels at Gaelic Football. Niamh has represented her country at Under 17 and Under 19 level and is a key member of Sue Ronan's squad that will be playing in the Phase 2 Qualification group for the UEFA Under 19 Championships in April.

Sara Lawlor — Peamount United FC
Sara Lawlor first came to the attention of international selectors with her outstanding displays for North Leinster at the Gaynor Cup when she was 15. She earned a call up to the Under 17 international squad and played for them for three seasons. Has progressed into the Under 19's and has helped Peamount United to D.W.S.L. Premier League runner-up and the W.F.A.I. Cup final last year. A prolific goal scorer she is an outstanding prospect for the future. Another member of the Under 19 International squad.

Eilis Nevin — Dundalk City FC
Eilis began her career in her native Mayo with Knock/Kiltimagh. Her outstanding performances for Connacht at Under 16 level in the Gaynor Cup gained her an Under 17 international call up. Her assured performances at the heart of the defence have seen her become a regular in the Under 19 international squad in the past two seasons. Eilis joined her sister Tara, at Dundalk City Ladies and helped the Lilywhites to their first W.F.A.I. Senior Cup title last year.

CollegeTillIDie
25/02/2006, 6:55 PM
The Women's nominees are usually selected by the committe on the recommendation of the respective management teams.
The Under 19 award is wide open while I expect the senior award to be won by Ciara Grant.

CollegeTillIDie
01/03/2006, 7:45 PM
The Women's nominees are usually selected by the committe on the recommendation of the respective management teams.
The Under 19 award is wide open while I expect the senior award to be won by Ciara Grant.

Well I got that one wrong.. haven't discussed them with the manager this year so was out of the loop as to what way the recommendation was gonna go to the selection committee.:o

Numero
02/03/2006, 10:11 AM
Caught a bit of the awards on the telly, and noticed that the women's awards were part of the awards 'presented earlier in the night' - and the women didnt seem to be sitting up the top with other winners (not sure).

If so, is that not really disrespectful to women players? I know they are amateurs...

Other thing is - should women's awards not be decided by independent outside people?

CollegeTillIDie
02/03/2006, 10:00 PM
Yes I missed the bit where the Women's Award was shown as I got called away to a phone call. And I agree it is disrespectful. And I am sure if anybody independently actually knew enough about the game it would be done that way. I personally feel that it could be done by the three journalists in the Dublin area who cover Women's football most often. William O'Connor of the Tallaght Echo, Niall Feery of the Evening Herald and John Fallon of the Star. By all means get the managers to nominate the three best international players but that should be the end of the input.

Numero
03/03/2006, 8:14 PM
It's the same old story, isn't it?

It has to change.

CollegeTillIDie
03/03/2006, 10:32 PM
Well the WFAI is in the process of handing over a lot of it's functions to Merrion Square as we speak so pretty soon it will be just another branch of the John Delaney Empire