PDA

View Full Version : Political Parties

Pages : 1 [2]

hamish
03/03/2006, 1:46 AM
In some countries if the turn out is less than 50% the poll is deemed null and void and has to be held again.

That makes sense - what happens when lessthan 50% turns out at next poll though??
(I just know CTID will have a smart-aleck reply to that:D )

I though it was Austria that had a law making voting mandatory.:confused:

On the subject of political parties, should the central body of a party be allowed to bring in their favoured nominee in place of one selected by the local cumann/party?? Notice it happens a lot here and in the UK.

CollegeTillIDie
03/03/2006, 6:20 AM
That makes sense - what happens when lessthan 50% turns out at next poll though??
(I just know CTID will have a smart-aleck reply to that:D )

Hamish

The same old shower remain in office!:D As regards Austria given their Nazi past they are bending over backwards to make sure their election results are fair and representative of the views of the people... if you don't vote you vill be shot! :D

CollegeTillIDie
03/03/2006, 6:22 AM
Still help out Barry Andrews in Dun Laoghaire, you cant beat the craic of a canvass and meeting 100's of grumpy *******s on a saturday morning :D

To bring this to football...
Barry's Dad played for UCD in the 1950's in Universities soccer. He also played for UCG where he did Postgraduate study.
Other politicians who played for UCD include the Late Brian Lenihan (RIP) and Ollie Byrne:D

and a totally different Barry Andrews had a brief spell with UCD in 2003 season.. probably the worst keeper ever to play for the first team in Belfield since 1979.

Macy
03/03/2006, 7:14 AM
To bring this to football...
Barry's Dad played for UCD in the 1950's in Universities soccer. He also played for UCG where he did Postgraduate study.
Other politicians who played for UCD include the Late Brian Lenihan (RIP) and Ollie Byrne:
Pity Barry Andrews will only campaign on football when it involves "think of the children" and "Man United changing their jersey" in the one sentence.

crc
03/03/2006, 8:06 AM
I'd be closest to the SDLP, but they don't stand in the south. I detest SF, and they always get the last place on the ballot. I actually have a hard time chosing from the rest of the parties, though:
FF - too populist, disagree with decentralisation
FG - don't really give a damn about the national question.
Lab - Too far to the left (the loony left)
Soc. - worse
Greens - I hate (and don't understand) their anti-EU stance
SF - fascists, marxist left
PDs - maybe, sometimes too far right.

However, despite this dilema, I do always vote. The STV-PR system is good from the point of view of the voter (even if there are arguments against it because it promotes parochialism). You simply express preferences between the candidates on offer. If, like in my case, you detest one party over all others, you make sure that they are bottom of your list of preferences, surely you have some preference...!

As for voting along the same lines as my parents - I'm not even 100% sure who they vote for (though in Cork SC, its probably Micheál Martin). When we were in Derry it was obvious (SDLP) but not so much here.