PDA

View Full Version : Robson Interview from the Indo.

NeilMcD
24/02/2006, 10:03 AM
Staunton: A chip off the old block
Friday February 24th 2006
ADVERTISEMENT

Bobby Robson feels that Ireland boss Steve Staunton has 'old school' ideals

Crushed ribs and a burst vein in his leg were Bobby Robson's 73rd birthday gift. But soccer's Peter Pan is ready for Ireland

THE Tyne is churning and dish-water dirty as he leans across the railing, wincing discernibly with the effort.

Five days after his 73rd birthday, Bobby Robson knows what's spinning through your mind. 'Daft old bugger'. He recognises the expression. For half his life, he's been joshing with other peoples' worries and stereotypes. Last week was just the turn of another breezy page.

Took himself to Austria in the company of a son and grandson. Turned back time. It was his first time skiing in 16 years, first time since he was manager of England. So he booked a four-hour tutorial, felt the rush of old energy in his veins and threw himself down the slope.

He grins as he lifts his shirt to expose the strapping on his chest. He chuckles when he unveils the bandage on his right shin. He's like a school-kid showing you bullion from an orchard. Bobby has crushed ribs and a burst vein in his right leg. Two days, two falls.

"Probably doing fifteen to twenty miles an hour you know," he says of the second crash. He's almost snorting now. "And it flippin' hurt." His son suggested to him that he might be the oldest person on the slopes. Bobby scoffed at the notion. If he could, he'd have skateboarded down to the cabin.

He's 73, you see. Going on fifteen.

It's black and anguished in Newcastle, but it's home. He lives eight miles outside this hard old city in England's north-east, just a short drive from Langley Park and the lumpy mining hills of Durham that shaped his childhood and, for a time, looked set to define his life.

Robson spent 18 months, following his father, down the suffocating pits. A trainee electrician learning to walk with a stoop to protect his head from the beams. Maybe 60 years on, his remarkable life still glows with purpose and ambition. Sixteen years a professional footballer, maybe twice that in football management and now, after 18 months of calm, right back in the maelstrom.

Locals mention his new job with Ireland and wish him well with the stilted politeness of people not sure of its detail. All they know is that he's busy and hurried again. "In the last two weeks, I've been to Switzerland, Austria, Madrid, London and Eindhoven," he tells you. "I met a couple of Irish guys in the bar at PSV on Tuesday night. They came up to me to wish me luck with the job. I said to them 'Don't worry about it, we'll do well.'

It's still new and fresh and just a little quirky. Two of his hardest days during the eight years he lived in the madhouse of being England's manager came at the hands of Jack Charlton's Ireland. Jack is a fellow Geordie and a friend. But on those two days, he threw Bobby to the hounds.

His memory of Stuttgart '88 is coloured by personal circumstance. "I think we had eighteen strikes on goal against Ireland's five," he sighs. "We hit the bar, we hit the post. Beardsley put one over the top from six yards. Lineker tried to put one into the corner and pushed it wide. We had chance after chance. It was just one of those days.

"I wasn't aware of what it meant to Ireland to beat us. I just got the criticism because we hadn't beaten you."

Cagliari in 1990 exposed him to the lurid extremes of tabloid journalism. A draw that, at the time, constituted calamity. "I remember, bloody hell, your free-kicks." He is on his feet now, curving his arm to define the arc with which the green missiles came.

"I know Jackie well," he stresses. "He was magnificently crude if you like. Instead of putting the ball in there (curving his hand) where your players could run to head it past Shilton, he would insist that they didn't put the ball in for the runners, but put it into Shilton and knock ball and man into the net. Cascarino particularly.

"It worked. It was a physical game. Jackie played a physical game. I mean we had people like Butcher, but Jackie wasn't putting the ball in to where Cascarino might be fighting him. They were putting it in where Cascarino would be fighting Shilton. Butcher couldn't get to that ball.

"Ireland had this fearful way of playing which was difficult to master. And the pitch was quite difficult. It was so hard, the rain water didn't soak through. So it was quite slippy on top. It ended up that the ball through the air was a better ball than the ball on the ground. So Jackie's way of playing suited the game. But we couldn't play it, not with Lineker and Beardsley. You had the big guys."

The following morning, a headline on the back of The Sun bellowed 'Send them home!' Two weeks later, the world had turned on its axis. "We ended up getting to the semi-final, but they wanted us to be sent home for God's sake. I'll never forget that headline. Bloody Hell.

"Then they had the cheek, when we got to the semi-final, of sending a made-up World Cup medal with a red, white and blue ribbon. I threw it in the bin, then retrieved it. I've still got it."

The memories are distant enough to be light on his senses now. He is especially fond of Charlton and still, occasionally, bumps into him at football functions. "I like Jackie," he says. "He's dead straight, dead honest. I just think he's a top guy in most respects. He was a difficult opponent. He wasn't like Bobby. Bobby was creative, part genius. He's an oh-so-nice person, he's class is Bobby.

colster
24/02/2006, 10:18 AM
Jackie was just straightforward, stopped players who thought they could play. And talked a good game. I enjoyed him."

Now, Bobby is the 'Irish' one. The specifics of his role in the new international regime under Steve Staunton have yet to established. His absence of ego means they may never have to be. Robson may still be one of the most respected coaches in the international game, but he will defer to Staunton at every necessary juncture.

They are still in the process of learning one another's qualities and foibles. But he likes what he sees. Especially, his sense of trust in the mechanics of the past. His desire to reheat some old, forgotten values.

"I think, in the modern game, he seems to be a bit of a chip off the old block," observes Robson. "Old school maybe. He has his principles, he has his virtues, he has his qualities. He seems to me to be proper for management, proper for coaching.

"I can see those values in Steve. I think he'll be old-fashioned and that's a quality. You can't beat those standards."

Robson knows some of what Staunton is facing. He knows from his earliest days in management (at Fulham) what it is to become boss in a dressing-room with men who've been your team-mates. In Robson's case, it proved difficult.

"It'll be easier for Steve because he's going to meet these players a maximum of ten times in a season," he says. "When you're a club manager, you meet them every day. So, when I went back that time, I was Bobby to the lads. Or Robbo to some.

"Suddenly you're their boss and you're apart. It'll be different for Stan. He has conducted himself properly in the game and that stands him in good stead. Because the players know him, they've seen him as a proper football guy, a proper person. I don't think it's going to be a problem."

He enjoyed the mischief and bartering of the European Championship draw in Frankfurt and the subsequent setting of the fixtures list, a process from which the Irish delegation emerged with contented weariness.

"I remember saying if we could get 40 per cent of what we wanted, take it," he recalls. "In actual fact, we got more than that. I would say we got 70 per cent. It didn't fall into our laps. We did a lot of work beforehand on what we would like.

"We had a plan and it really fell into place. I mean nobody wanted to play Cyprus in June, nobody. There were six countries in there, all with the same idea of what they wanted. But we did well in the end, I tell you."

If he has a vision of his role with Ireland, it is one that reaches back into his past. As England manager, he used Don Howe as an assistant, "a buffer" as he puts it. The two played together at West Bromwich Albion and, under persuasion from Walter Winterbottom, took themselves to coaching courses at Oxford University.

"You need that buffer," he argues. "Don was an extremely good coach as well. In many ways, we were indelibly linked."

Staunton's efforts to recreate the homeliness of past regimes have met with Robson's approval. Though he himself is unfamiliar with the intimate detail of what life as an Irish player was like under Jack and, subsequently, Mick McCarthy, he sees virtue in spontaneity and lightness.

"It's extremely important to create contentment," argues Robson. "Footballers have to be happy and comfortable. That's where you get your team spirit and morale, players getting to know each other and like each other, trust each other. They have to want to be with each other.

"That plays an enormous role in a football team. It's not about going out at night. You just have to gel with them. Because you get cliques in groups. If you have a harmonious group, you get enormous repayment. And the smallest thing can influence that.

"Bottom line, players have to enjoy training though. It's got to be purposeful, meaningful. I find players actually like discipline. You find a lot of players are indisciplined. But, if the people around them are indisciplined, they actually hate it. It's a curious thing."

The process of familiarising himself with Ireland's relatively shallow pool of talent is well under way. He knows the perception. Finishing fourth in the World Cup qualifiers wasn't the brightest of auguries for a team now asked to finish in the top two of a group comprising the Czech Republic, Germany, Slovakia, Cyprus and San Marino.

The senior pros like Given, Finnan, O'Brien (Andy), Dunne, Duff, Kilbane and Robbie Keane hold no mystery. But the young guns are unproven. He is excited by the search ahead.

He likes Stephen Ireland and is encouraged by Stuart Pearce's view that he has "a great chance" of making a senior international. But the two players he becomes most energised by are Reading's Kevin Doyle and Sunderland's Liam Lawrence. "I really like Doyle," he says. "He's come along in a short time, I tell you. And I went to see Lawrence the other day. I rang Stan up and told him I quite liked the lad.

"They were playing Tottenham and he ran out of legs in the second-half, they actually took him off. Daryl Murphy came on and scored. But Lawrence did alright. He had nice technique, he saw the clever pass, the one that could damage and hurt people. I quite liked him. From where he was a year ago because he came from Mansfield to where he is now, he's an improved player."

He recounts the motto of Ron Greenwood that, to properly judge a player, you had to see him in the first team. "Never let a player go unless you've seen him properly," was Greenwood's theory.

One player helped Robson put that theory into profitable practice. He still chuckles about it today. That player was Brian Talbot.

"If you had given me £8,000 for him when he was in the Ipswich reserves, I'd have snatched your hand off," recalls Robson. "I remember I decided to have a look at him in a first team game at Burnley. I didn't think he was ready, but I said I'd have a look. And he was the best player on the pitch.

"He actually played at the higher level better than he did in the reserves. I sold him for £450,000 about two years later to Arsenal. With that money, I bought Frans Thijssen and Arnold Muhren. His performance against people like Liam Brady in the '78 FA Cup final convinced Terry Neill to sign him.

"In one year, he just soared. So you never know what these players might do for Ireland. It comes down to what's inside them. Attitude. Grasping the opportunity. Not being afraid.

"Because some kids just can't cut it. They wobble. It's too much for them. They don't want the ball because they might make a mistake. They're the ones you don't want. The ones who are different in training. I mean you see great players on Tuesday morning and he's nowhere to be seen on the Saturday. So we've got to find out about one or two of these kids. But I have to say, the lad at Reading looks very useful indeed."

Business begins next week, of course, with Sweden's arrival in Dublin. But the qualifiers will define the marriage. Staunton has already told him about Croke Park and the emotion of what's coming. "He told me it's going to be just incredible," smiles Robson.

"I can't see that from afar. But what I see is it's amazing what you can do if you have the right attitude. And the courage. Look at Colchester against Chelsea the other night. You can close big gaps in football. We shouldn't be afraid of anybody.

"For now though, we've got to get from the players that they want to play for their country. That's the most important thing. They've got to want to come. Because we're dead if they don't."

Irish Indo (http://www.unison.ie/sportsdesk/stories.php3?ca=12&si=1568885)

Dotsy
24/02/2006, 10:31 AM
I still have reservations about the appointment of Staunton and Robson but one thing Robson wil definately bring to the table despite his age will be enormous enthusiasim for the game. I read his biography a couple of months ago and would recommend it as a great read.

Stuttgart88
24/02/2006, 10:33 AM
Very interesting - thanks for posting that up.

A few small points: eL fans - don't slate him for saying Doyle's come a long way in a short time! It's not a remark to endear himself to eL fans but I wouldn't make much of it.

Also, his point about Brian Talbot being a better player in the first team than the reserves has relevance to us. Bizarrely, I think some players play above themselves at international level. When Kenny Cunningham first came into the fold in 1996 (?) he instantly looked the part, without ever having done anything at club level. The same may well apply to others, especially if they're playing with better players than they play with at club level. Some of the Swedes, Czechs etc. play much better than their club form would ever suggest.

Interesting too that he rates Lawrence.

Restoring morale isn't the be-all & end-all but it'll be a hell of a start.

Tenderloins
24/02/2006, 12:57 PM
Regarding Kevin Doyle, this time last year would anyone have seen him in contention for a starting place in an Irish team?
They may have thought he was capable ,but as to him doing it is a different matter.

Karlos
24/02/2006, 12:58 PM
I'm probably sounding like a broken record at this stage but I have the highest respect for Bobby Robson and I really believe him being invloved with us can have nothing but a positive effect on both Stan and the players.

I could listen or read quotes from Bobby all day long, a true great football man.

I'm excited to see what brand of football we'll try to play - high tempo pressing game mixed with the ball on the deck, perhaps. Can't wait for Wednesday. :)

Stuttgart88
24/02/2006, 1:06 PM
I could listen or read quotes from Bobby all day long, a true great football man. Hear Hear

as_i_say
24/02/2006, 1:12 PM
Hear Hear

also. a true gent. i think the players will definitely go for the old codger.

klein4
24/02/2006, 1:56 PM
god, not tryin to be controversial but I always find him one of the most cringe inducing people to read about or see on the telly(second lately only to staunton)..I remember him and venables on ITV sittin outside a cafe durin france world cup discussing tactics with the salt and pepper shakers...then the sound faded out as if they were actually goin to be there for the day at it. awful awful stuff!!!!!

NeilMcD
24/02/2006, 2:03 PM
Everything ITV do in relation to football is terrible in my view. I am not too sure if its the presenters or the producers or the pundits of the show that are at fault however whatever it is, it is always rubbish. The only good thing about ITV is you get to look at Gabyy Logan/Yorath.

TheJamaicanP.M.
24/02/2006, 2:32 PM
Everything ITV do in relation to football is terrible in my view. I am not too sure if its the presenters or the producers or the pundits of the show that are at fault however whatever it is, it is always rubbish. The only good thing about ITV is you get to look at Gabyy Logan/Yorath.

You don't get out much Neil.:) She's puck ugly.

NeilMcD
24/02/2006, 2:36 PM
Get out too much I am afraid. Need to cut down. Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder I know but would not say she is ugly. Now give me Scarlett Johannson or Keira Knightly or Angelina Jolie ahead of her any day.

eirebhoy
24/02/2006, 2:36 PM
god, not tryin to be controversial but I always find him one of the most cringe inducing people to read about or see on the telly(second lately only to staunton)..I remember him and venables on ITV sittin outside a cafe durin france world cup discussing tactics with the salt and pepper shakers...then the sound faded out as if they were actually goin to be there for the day at it. awful awful stuff!!!!!
If Mourinho took over from Kerr you wouldn't be happy. :) The 2 most cringe inducing people in the world (in your opinion) just happened to part of the Irish management team? Alan Kelly must be real bore? ;)

TheJamaicanP.M.
24/02/2006, 2:38 PM
Get out too much I am afraid. Need to cut down. Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder I know but would not say she is ugly. Now give me Scarlett Johannson or Keira Knightly or Angelina Jolie ahead of her any day.

Agree with ya there! Maybe we should move this to the Totty Watch thread in Off Topic.:D

klein4
24/02/2006, 2:43 PM
thats a crock a **** to be honest.
what is your point exactly?:rolleyes:
and no I wouldnt be happy with mourhino as I wouldnt open my curtains to watch one of his mind numbingly boring teams play if they were playing out me back garden.

as_i_say
24/02/2006, 3:23 PM
staunton is a woeful speaker alright. its gonna be interesting to hear his apres match interview. and indeed apres match itself after the game.

doesnt matter a sh it though if he can motivate the players, ill listen to at the end of the day all credit too as i say all day.

beautifulrock
24/02/2006, 4:18 PM
anyway back on topic, good interview and I cant help liking Bobby. Think he will help SS alot in the first year or so, can see the squad reacting to him positevly as well as the vast majority of supporters. Wednesday should be real interesting

$Leon$
24/02/2006, 5:52 PM
read the article today impressed with the way hogan made bobby appear. He came across very well. The fans wanted an irish hero as manager, the fai wanted a pro so the best comprimise is the stan / bobby team. booby getting on a bit now turned 73 last week. can't see him been able to manage a team on his own even if it is irish international. anyway could never see irish fans taking on board former english manager in this day and age. when we took on jack times were different. now we've had minor success couldn't see us now presenting an english man as manager. he should be of great help to stan and show him the ropes.by the time bobby calls it a day stan should have a fair idea of whats happening.