PDA

View Full Version : Omagh Town FC - Whats the story?

A face
23/02/2006, 11:45 PM
I know they are now defunct but can anyone tell me why/how? Was it bad management? was it debts they couldn't pay? What actually happened that they couldn't turn it round?

Anyone be able to give us a good idea on it?

Speranza
24/02/2006, 1:44 AM
They folded in June of 2005. They were relegated and this coupled with the closure of their social club meant their debts crippled the club.

Dassa
24/02/2006, 10:23 AM
also for a town the size of Omagh the town didnt really get behind them for one reason or another.

Mr A
24/02/2006, 2:10 PM
Basically there just weren't enough people interested in keeping Omagh going. Woy McCreadie worked miracles there for years (putting it kindly, seriously didgy character) but when he went to Newry it was all downhill for Omagh. They brought in Speak as manager, gave him a decent budget and crashed and burned completely, shipping a series of total hammerings. They ran up debts that they'd no hope of paying off and went to the wall.

The mad thing is that busloads of fans leave Omagh for the Oval and Windsor every week, and there is an active Accrinton Stanley supporters club in the town. I kid you not.

Speranza
24/02/2006, 2:26 PM
Do Harps have any fans in Omagh? There are Harps and Derry supporters in Strabane but never heard anything about EL fans in Omagh.

Mr A
24/02/2006, 3:16 PM
Not that I know of. There might be a few, but I've never come across any. Strange town.

dcfc_1928
24/02/2006, 4:39 PM
Around the time of Omagh Town's demise, I heard a story (actually it was a piece on local TV news) was about an Omagh based "Accrington Stanley Supporters Club"!!!!

Apparently a group of customers from a local bar - who all supportered different Premiership clubs - decided to pick a team they could all support.

So they chose Accrington Stanley - and they actually travel over to Accrington matches, raise funds etc.

Why the hell couldn't these Omagh people go and support Omagh Town?!?!?! Maybe there would still be a club if they did.

Only in Ireland!

dcfc_1928
24/02/2006, 4:40 PM
Aye there are a few hardcore Derry City supporters in Omagh.

Do Harps have any fans in Omagh? There are Harps and Derry supporters in Strabane but never heard anything about EL fans in Omagh.

BleusAvantTout
24/02/2006, 7:49 PM
The mad thing is that busloads of fans leave Omagh for the Oval and Windsor every week..........I kid you not.

I think you are kidding; I've been following the Blues for 43 years and I couldn't name you one Omagh based Blueman. We have fans in Dungannon, Cookstown, Beragh and Fivemiletown but not in Omagh. As far as I am aware neither do the glens!

CollegeTillIDie
24/02/2006, 9:22 PM
Typically Irish town dominated by bogball and Premiershi*. Won't support the local team... " ach their sh*te!" same down here as up there... the Irish people should be honest and ask the Brits to come back :mad:

dcfcsteve
24/02/2006, 11:09 PM
I think you are kidding; I've been following the Blues for 43 years and I couldn't name you one Omagh based Blueman. We have fans in Dungannon, Cookstown, Beragh and Fivemiletown but not in Omagh. As far as I am aware neither do the glens!

I won't claim to have the on-the-ground knowledge that you have on this BluesAvantTout, but the religious balance of the town would also lead me to question any claim that it was chock-full of active Linfield and Glentoran fans.

Would be like saying Enniskillen had bus-loads going up to Solitude every weekend !

el punter
28/02/2006, 1:52 AM
Typically Irish town dominated by bogball and Premiershi*. Won't support the local team... " ach their sh*te!" same down here as up there... the Irish people should be honest and ask the Brits to come back :mad:

Are the Brits august supporters of bogball now? :)

CollegeTillIDie
03/03/2006, 5:03 PM
Are the Brits august supporters of bogball now? :)

Haven't you heard? London play in the All-Ireland championship:D

hamish
03/03/2006, 5:04 PM
Are the grounds used by any local junior clubs now??

dcfc_1928
03/03/2006, 11:37 PM
I don't think they are.

I was chatting to someone who plays for an Omagh team called Shelbourne (no idea if the name of the team relates to the Dublin Shels in any way) - who play in the Fermanagh & Western League - and he said the ground was just lying empty and unused.

Are the grounds used by any local junior clubs now??