PDA

View Full Version : Is Ireland a middle class hellhole

Pages : [1] 2

max power
23/02/2006, 12:32 PM
anyone else notice that in the last few years this country has tried to become more middle class and push away from its working class roots.

as billy connolly would say" the volvo driving, sweater wearing bragide"

here are a few examples i've seen recently

1. the whole PC thing, its not nice to do this or that or oh my god u might offend someone.

2. private schools and the increasing numbers of people falling accross themselves to send there children to these schools so they'll get into UCD etc.

3. the dart accent , ya know rooooooooooooundabout and so on. head wreaking

4. the amount of people buying property abroad cause its the "in thing" to do.

5. designer food outlets, noodle bars, creepe bars, etc. and the whole coffee shop thinig to go with that. whatever happened to a greasy spoon cafe.

just trying to get a debate going if i'm miles off no doubt someone will tell me:o

micls
23/02/2006, 12:42 PM
anyone else notice that in the last few years this country has tried to become more middle class and push away from its working class roots.

as billy connolly would say" the volvo driving, sweater wearing bragide"

here are a few examples i've seen recently

1. the whole PC thing, its not nice to do this or that or oh my god u might offend someone.

2. private schools and the increasing numbers of people falling accross themselves to send there children to these schools so they'll get into UCD etc.

3. the dart accent , ya know rooooooooooooundabout and so on. head wreaking

5. designer food outlets, noodle bars, creepe bars, etc. and the whole coffee shop thinig to go with that. whatever happened to a greasy spoon cafe.

just trying to get a debate going if i'm miles off no doubt someone will tell me:o

1. With irish becoming more multicultural the pc thing is necessary but id agree but that it is taken too far(its much worse in england than here)

2. Most parents will do anything to make there kids life easier and better-therefore if parents can afford it they will probably choose to send their kids to private schools. However the funny thing is that there are public schools that are achieving much better results than private schools at the moment.
Dont have a problem with this though its their money they can waste it in any way they want

3. Dunno what exactly your on about but there has always been the rich(er) in Ireland-accents like that aren't a new thing.
Tbh don't care how someone talks once they talk sense

4.If people have the money to buy property abroad then leave them off.. Whether its an in thing or not its a luxury that they will enjoy....Once again its their money so i dont see why they shouldnt enjoy it

5.Expanding peoples tastes(food etc.) isnt really a bad thing in my view. Id never eat in those kinda places but i do think the choice4 is a good thing.

Dunno if i completely missed the point you were trying to make but those would be my views on it anyway :)

max power
23/02/2006, 12:46 PM
no its fine its just things i notice....

the amount of lads off to watch lenister when they dont know one end of a rugby ball from another.

the suv to bring the child to school or 50 of them, one for each child.

standing in a que at a petrol station becuase the 6 people in front of you all pay with plastic, cash is a forgotton thing in some peoples lives.

the 5 bedroom house for 2 people........

Dodge
23/02/2006, 12:48 PM
A fairly rubbish sweeping statement. A country will always have a mix of cllass, there's always been a middle/upper class in ireland and they've always held the power. Same in pretty much every country in the world

1. the whole PC thing, its not nice to do this or that or oh my god u might offend someone. Fail to see how this is a middle class thing.

2. private schools and the increasing numbers of people falling accross themselves to send there children to these schools so they'll get into UCD etc.Can you back it up with figures? Or is just just more of the people you know?

3. the dart accent , ya know rooooooooooooundabout and so on. head wreaking Again, its not a new development

It’s a sign of having more money certainly but if a person has the money what would you suggest they do with it

5. designer food outlets, noodle bars, creepe bars, etc. and the whole coffee shop thinig to go with that. whatever happened to a greasy spoon cafe.That’s more an influence of people travelling outside of ireland/UK and realising that there are options. Are you trying to suggest this is a bad development?

max power
23/02/2006, 12:51 PM
as i said if i was wrong someone would put me right. just trying to get a debate going, the sweeping statement was to get people to view the thread, used in the media every day.

i only stated my views.

Dodge
23/02/2006, 12:55 PM
And you've been put right. Case closed. :)

micls
23/02/2006, 12:56 PM
no its fine its just things i notice....

the amount of lads off to watch lenister when they dont know one end of a rugby ball from another.

Its a growing sport-there has to be a first time for everyone-you weren't born knowing the rules of football either.

the suv to bring the child to school or 50 of them, one for each child.
Ah come off the stage- even if the SUV thing was true what do you want a seperate car to bring the kids to school in. Yes people have more money-what should they do with it in your opinion??

standing in a que at a petrol station becuase the 6 people in front of you all pay with plastic, cash is a forgotton thing in some peoples lives.

What's so great about cash?? For a lot of peole Credit cards or handier and make more sense-you lose it you cancel it no harm done.

Whats so bad about living in luxury...once again if you have money why not spend it on enjoying your life as much as possible.

TBH i really don't see the point your making-are you saying these are all bad things??If so why?

dahamsta
23/02/2006, 12:56 PM
Max, is your Shift key broken, or are you trying to make a statement about the lack of proper grammar and punctuation in the middle classes?

max power
23/02/2006, 1:00 PM
Max, is your Shift key broken, or are you trying to make a statement about the lack of proper grammar and punctuation in the middle classes?

na i'm not middle class for a start and i know very little grammer.

Dodge
23/02/2006, 1:03 PM
If this is going to be a list of stuff that annoys max, I'll probably just move it to off topic

max power
23/02/2006, 1:05 PM
not at all dodge, did i say anywhere that they annoy me ( apart from the dart accent), its thing i've noticed increasing in the last 10 years that all.

klein4
23/02/2006, 1:09 PM
agree with the leinster thing.went up to watch liverpool v man u match in the local recently and bloody leinster match was bein shown on the big screen for the benefit of some shams not from the area.who the hell has any identification with leinster? its either dublin or the bog. there is no leinster.

Dodge
23/02/2006, 1:10 PM
so whats your opinion on it max, is it a good thing/bad thing (seeing as you think its happening)

max power
23/02/2006, 1:14 PM
I think some of them are a move away from how would you say, old ireland ????

the suv to bring the kids to school...whats wrong with walking ?? ok the security issue but what about a walking bus ??? and do you need a large suv for one child ??

thats just one example.....

finlma
23/02/2006, 1:20 PM
agree with the leinster thing.went up to watch liverpool v man u match in the local recently and bloody leinster match was bein shown on the big screen for the benefit of some shams not from the area.who the hell has any identification with leinster? its either dublin or the bog. there is no leinster.

An Irish pub in Ireland showing an Irish team playing instead of 2 English club sides - what is the world coming to? :rolleyes:

As for Max Powers sweeping generalisation - what are you on about. Its called progression.

drinkfeckarse
23/02/2006, 1:52 PM

I have to say I've noticed a lot of that sort of thing with a lot of people back home. Is it a kind of bling bling situation??

max power
23/02/2006, 1:55 PM
yeah thats the way i see things going......the smiths doing better than the jones type of thing.

Bald Student
23/02/2006, 2:02 PM
the suv to bring the kids to school...whats wrong with walking ?? ok the security issue but what about a walking bus ??? and do you need a large suv for one child ??Do you walk to work yourself?

klein4
23/02/2006, 2:03 PM
An Irish pub in Ireland showing an Irish team playing instead of 2 English club sides - what is the world coming to? :rolleyes:

ah usual stupid contribution from yourself....
yes the leinster rugby team is very representative of the general Irish public. :rolleyes: its the blackrock national team by any other name.

finlma
23/02/2006, 2:03 PM
yeah thats the way i see things going......the smiths doing better than the jones type of thing.

Its just common sense to pay a mortgage and get on the property ladder instead of wasting money on rent. There maybe some people that want to impress with their house but that will happen in every walk of life.

klein4
23/02/2006, 2:05 PM
Do you walk to work yourself?
thats just the dumbest comment ever...most schoolchildren go to a school within walking distance of where they are from....where you live and work is a totally different situation.

Jerry The Saint
23/02/2006, 2:05 PM
I have to say I've noticed a lot of that sort of thing with a lot of people back home. Is it a kind of bling bling situation??

I heard about 2 people who bought a 5-bedroom house once. It stayed that way for a while until eventually they had to create new little people themselves in an attempt to fill up the remaining bedrooms. What's the world coming to - PC GONE MAD!!?

finlma
23/02/2006, 2:06 PM
yes the leinster rugby team is very representative of the general Irish public. :rolleyes: its the blackrock national team by any other name.

Attack the post not the poster Klein - you know the rules.

I still don't get where you're coming from. It seems pretty logical to me to show an Irish team playing a rugby match in a European competition over 2 English club sides playing in their domestic league.
It would be in any other country anyway.

Bald Student
23/02/2006, 2:07 PM
yes the leinster rugby team is very representative of the general Irish public. :rolleyes: its the blackrock national team by any other name.I agree. RTE should show no Irish clubs because none of them represent the whole country. International and foreign sport is all we want.

klein4
23/02/2006, 2:10 PM
football is not an upper class game. so most people would watch it over rugby.especially leinster rugby. so by your logic any sport as long as it has an irish interest should be shown over anything else???

(and attack the post not the poster must be the internet equivalent of "I didnt interupt you now dont interupt me!)

Bald Student
23/02/2006, 2:12 PM
thats just the dumbest comment everI could probably cite a few counter examples.

.most schoolchildren go to a school within walking distance of where they are from....where you live and work is a totally different situation.That varies from person to person which makes this a good example of why generalisations are a bit silly.

klein4
23/02/2006, 2:13 PM
I agree. RTE should show no Irish clubs because none of them represent the whole country. International and foreign sport is all we want.
ah you have me there...:rolleyes:
you debating grand master you!:D
I and most people who went to the pub that day were there to see Liverpool v Man U match not some upper class ghetto team play.

max power
23/02/2006, 2:13 PM
Do you walk to work yourself?

no i use public transport actually and its not very good.

football is not an upper class game. so most people would watch it over rugby.especially leinster rugby. so by your logic any sport as long as it has an irish interest should be shown over anything else???

(and attack the post not the poster must be the internet equivalent of "I didnt interupt you now dont interupt me!)

in the UK soccer is fast becoming a middle class game, the price of tickets etc is driving out the normal working class supporter who just can't afford to go to every home game.......newcastle being different of course :D

klein4
23/02/2006, 2:18 PM
I could probably cite a few counter examples.

That varies from person to person which makes this a good example of why generalisations are a bit silly.
well does it?
most communities are served by a school which can accomadate majority of children living in area.
most communities do not have the workplaces to provide a job for everyone living in that area.
so please think before you try to respond with smart arse remarks.

Bald Student
23/02/2006, 2:23 PM
no i use public transport actually and its not very good.Fair enough, one of my pet hates is people who drive to work giving out about the number of children in cars as if some people are more entitled to speedy travel than others.

I agree with you about the number of people who drive for short journeys but I think more blame lies with the county council's than the people themselves. When I was going to school it took about 5 min's to cross the dual carraigeway on foot because you had to wait for the green man to cross one half, wait half way for another round of the lights and then cross the other half. Cars could get through in one go. I don't think that's a class issue though, most people with a car will choose whichever's more convenient at the time.

finlma
23/02/2006, 2:24 PM

Who cares what class the sport is? I'd expect any Irish pub to show any of the provinces playing a European rugby game prior to an English Premiership game - proper order.

klein4
23/02/2006, 2:26 PM
thats grand. now following on from this you will be going down your local and demanding this to be the case. see what reaction you get. unless your local is kielys that is:D

Dodge
Don't care what the opubs show, but I'd have watched the rugby

max power
Who cares what class the sport is? I'd expect any Irish pub to show any of the provinces playing a European rugby game prior to an English Premiership game - proper order.

the pub will do whatever creates the most business and profit.

klein4
23/02/2006, 2:29 PM
Don't care what the opubs show, but I'd have watched the rugby
rugby, shmugby!

Bald Student
23/02/2006, 2:31 PM
most communities are served by a school which can accomadate majority of children living in area.
most communities do not have the workplaces to provide a job for everyone living in that area.Yes, which is why a lot more school children walk and cycle to school than adults to work. The problem with generalisations is that they don't apply to everyone. Some adults walk and cycle to work and some children get driven to school. There's nothing wrong with any of that.

strangeirish
23/02/2006, 2:34 PM
Sounds like the 'oul sod is becoming Americanized! Now there is a sweeping generalisation for you and the horse you rode in on.;)

Hither green
23/02/2006, 4:08 PM
God, there’s a lot of touchy people on this about SUVs (possibly a lot of touchy people preparing to go home in their SUVs). I think the comment is a fair one though, and noticed it the last time I was over. It’s not about the driving the kids to school but city dwellers driving huge fcuk-off land rovers that have never even seen mud. Over here we call them Fulham Farmers. The city’s too small, get a fcuking fiesta.

max power
23/02/2006, 4:13 PM
God, there’s a lot of touchy people on this about SUVs (possibly a lot of touchy people preparing to go home in their SUVs). I think the comment is a fair one though, and noticed it the last time I was over. It’s not about the driving the kids to school but city dwellers driving huge fcuk-off land rovers that have never even seen mud. Over here we call them Fulham Farmers. The city’s too small, get a fcuking fiesta.

And then they give out when the child is over weight :rolleyes:

anto1208
23/02/2006, 4:17 PM
na i'm not middle class for a start and i know very little grammer.

ah so your upper middle class so :D ... because working class people dont have pc's and are nt able to arse about on forums all day because they are out digging holes and working in factories all day long

max power
23/02/2006, 4:28 PM
ah so your upper middle class so :D ... because working class people dont have pc's and are nt able to arse about on forums all day because they are out digging holes and working in factories all day long

no i'm a lowly paid civil servant :( :D

Hither green
23/02/2006, 4:47 PM

Actually it’s an interesting point, maybe Max could have illustrated the first post not with what might be seen as the trappings of middle-class but in the use of the description middle-class. I’ve a reasonable education, a comfortable office job, my own house etc but as I work for a living and haven't economic independence I'm working class.

pete
23/02/2006, 9:35 PM
Back to the topic on hand.

What is middle class & what is working class?

I work for a living so am i working class?

People aspire to better their lot in life otherwise we'd still be living in caves.

I think a lot of examples of SUVs 'n the like have nothing to do with middle class.

:confused:

Block G Raptor
24/02/2006, 4:47 PM
its the blackrock national team by any other name.

Oh So True :D

CollegeTillIDie
25/02/2006, 7:22 PM
Not only is Ireland a middle class hell hole it's a West Brit hell hole into the bargain.:(

pete
25/02/2006, 11:27 PM
Not only is Ireland a middle class hell hole it's a West Brit hell hole into the bargain.:(

TBH I think thats just Dublin.

CollegeTillIDie
25/02/2006, 11:35 PM
TBH I think thats just Dublin.

It's not just Jackeens who slavishly follow the Premiershi*

pete
25/02/2006, 11:52 PM
It's not just Jackeens who slavishly follow the Premiershi*

If watching the Premiership qualifies you as a West Brit then that covers 99% of the country.

Block G Raptor
26/02/2006, 3:22 AM
If watching the Premiership qualifies you as a West Brit then that covers 99% of the country.
sad but true. The rapturous aclaim that greated Scotland's defeat of england in my local was second only to Liverpool wiinning the Cl last year. And many of these cnuts call themselves natinalists

CollegeTillIDie
26/02/2006, 8:20 AM

Being an EL supporter however exempts you!:D