PDA

View Full Version : Sigerson Cup

ollie
22/02/2006, 10:53 AM
well lads.does anyone have an interest in the Sigerson Cup finals weekend on this weekend in DCU?
UCC vs DCU is one semi but who are playing UUJ in the other semi?

who are starting as favourites?

Soko
22/02/2006, 5:39 PM
Not really, more into the Fitzgibbon myself. Just back from Limerick where UCC knocked out LIT. Pretty good game but LIT would have won if Kelly played.

Aberdonian Stu
22/02/2006, 11:48 PM
Sig is in one of my alma maters this weekend and I think it'll be tough to call. While I would by no means consider them favourites I would have to say the best university on the Northside :D has a shot. They beat a good Garda team in the last eight and are on familiar turf.

The pitches in the semis will play a role (more in the Trench than Sig as they'll be on the lesser pitch, I think, which is a cabbage patch).

No matter what I think it should be an interesting two days football. If I head out (which isn't terribly likely but still possible) I'll let you know about what I see.

Aberdonian Stu
24/02/2006, 3:29 PM
The semis are over it''s time for the finals...

Sig semis
DCU 0-8 UCC 0-6
Queens 0-10 UUJ 1-6
Final, Saturday at 7.30pm in Parnell Park

Trench semis
TCD 3-2 John Moore's University 1-6
St. Pat's, Drumcondra 1-12 BIFHE 3-5
Final, Saturday 3pm at the DCU Sportsground

Corn na Mac Léinn will also be decided tomorrow:
At DCU Sportsground: Colaiste Ide v Mater Dei 1pm

ollie
25/02/2006, 12:07 PM
i was just looking through the dcu team in the paper there.they are very strong.plenty of senior intercounty players.Pity my own college got beat by them but they should be there or there abouts again next year.considering the goalie, full back , center back and a midfielder were freshers it bodes well for the future. the final tonight should be good.:ball:

Aberdonian Stu
25/02/2006, 4:36 PM
The Trins won the Trench and Coláiste Íde won Corn na Mac Léinn. Sig final is live on TG4 at 7.30pm, c'mon DCU (well it is one of my alma maters).

CollegeTillIDie
25/02/2006, 7:04 PM
Come on the UCD Dyslexics ! :D

Aberdonian Stu
25/02/2006, 8:07 PM
The finest university on the northside won the Sig!

CollegeTillIDie
25/02/2006, 9:30 PM
Well done to the Dyslexics.. nice one...

ollie
25/02/2006, 9:43 PM
they were the better side through out and deserved the win.fair play to them.

CollegeTillIDie
25/02/2006, 10:08 PM
On a semi-serious note it's good that Universities are winning the Sigerson Again after years of IT dominance!

Aberdonian Stu
25/02/2006, 10:36 PM
Well that's a tad misleading. Sligo won three of the previous 4 and Tralee were good in 90s but generally Unis have maintained control. It's just unfortunate that the great men of Belfield haven't won one since I entered in 1999 (actually the dry run stretches back to 1996).

Fitzgibbon looks fairly open this year, four good sides in the semis.

gustavo
27/02/2006, 10:03 PM
Bah Humbug indeed , IT Sligo will be back again next year to regain their title!

ollie
28/02/2006, 9:41 AM
will dcu loose many of their players for next year?

Aberdonian Stu
28/02/2006, 11:00 AM
I'm not trying to carry on the UCD tradition of correcting spelling but I really hate it when people spell lose as loose (I've done far too much sub-editing in my time).

To answer your question I would say they probably will although there is a chance they'll have most of the big guns next year as I think some of them are on 2-year part time courses (which led to all to all the kerfuffle with suspensions and whatnot).

I can say with certainty that most of them have sore heads this morning as they were all in the student bar throwing (I don't use the term lightly) the trophy around last night. From what I understood from my friend's flatmate (who was rather hard to understand as she was in a similar condition to most of the team:D ) it was an all-dayer & all-nighter session.

ollie
28/02/2006, 12:54 PM
I'm not trying to carry on the UCD tradition of correcting spelling but I really hate it when people spell lose as loose
thats what happens when you're typing too fast