PDA

View Full Version : 'Keane-gate' Uncovers The Sunshine Supporters

pete
28/05/2002, 12:40 PM
Its to be expected you get people with little interest or knowledge of football jumping on the bandwagon for the WC.

Only good thing with Keane v McCarthy is all these glory hunters jumping ship saying they won't watch the matches or support the team now.

patsh
28/05/2002, 12:45 PM
Well no matter what happened or how you see it, we are still Irish and the team, however diminished it is, is representing us.

I heard som guy on Liveline last week say he burned his Man Utd shirt. Sad really....

Neil
28/05/2002, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by oddboy
he burned his Man Utd shirt.

What point was that sad ******* trying to make! The irony of it all!

dahamsta
28/05/2002, 12:53 PM
Someone has to ask the question: Oddboy, do you believe everything you see or hear in the media?

"It has to be true, I read it in The Sun!"

adam

patsh
28/05/2002, 1:20 PM
Originally posted by Vetinari
Someone has to ask the question: Oddboy, do you believe everything you see or hear in the media?
"It has to be true, I read it in The Sun!"
adam
1. I do not and never have read the Sun.
2. The quote is from Liveline. Go to the rte website and listen to it yourself.
3. I neither said I believe or disbelieve any thing. I simply quoted what some one said.

dahamsta
28/05/2002, 2:02 PM
1. I do not and never have read the Sun.

You poor thing, you haven't lived. Course, it isn't a patch on the Sunday Sport. Phoooaaarrr!

2. The quote is from Liveline.

I didn't say it wasn't. "It has to be true, I read it in The Sun" is a standard-issue reply. Doesn't everybody know that?

Go to the rte website and listen to it yourself.

As if I give a toss what some dork does with his overpriced Man U jersey. He could sprinkle holy water on it and worship it for all I care.

3. I neither said I believe or disbelieve any thing. I simply quoted what some one said.

I never said you didn't. But you do tend to quote the press as if what they were saying was gospel. We'll never know the true facts about this pathetic little debacle, so saying one or the other was right or wrong is simply impossible. Everyone involved appears to have handled it badly, get over it, move on.

Personally, I think the whole thing is a conspiracy:

It's a conspiracy I tell ya. The whole thing is managed attempt to market Ireland and drive demand for the Bertie Bowl, developed and implemented by Bertie Ahern's handlers in the run-up to the General Election. Mick McCarthy and Roy Keane are receiving commissions based on the number of column inches attributed to the scandal. Mary McAleese will be asked to sign a declaration of war with Manchester on Wednesday, and Ireland will initiate a first strike by strapping Bono and Ali Hewson to an Air Corp jet and landing it in Sellafield. Abortions will be performed on the front lawn of the Áras. The Gardaí will be called in to tackle dangerous British women and children spying on Ireland by walking down the streets of their home towns and cities. The whole thing is funded by planning bribes collected since 1973.

Watch out for Black Helicopters.*dux*

adam

patsh
28/05/2002, 2:16 PM
But you do tend to quote the press as if what they were saying was gospel.
Have you evidence for your claim that I tend to quote the press as if it were gospel?

Everyone involved appears to have handled it badly, get over it, move on.
Isn't this a forum for discussion, where topics related to football are discussed?
Am I not entitled to engage in these discussions? Or do you not want me to express my views? :confused:

Wizzard
28/05/2002, 2:21 PM
Originally posted by pete
Its to be expected you get people with little interest or knowledge of football jumping on the bandwagon for the WC.

Only good thing with Keane v McCarthy is all these glory hunters jumping ship saying they won't watch the matches or support the team now.

McCarthy-gate uncovers narrow mindedness in Irish people.

Macy
28/05/2002, 2:36 PM

Well I wouldn't consider myself a bandwagon supporter, but I've got to say I'm losing interest in the world cup, and am just killing time until the eL starts up again....... Admittedly, club football has always been far more important to me than international football, but a week ago I was really looking forward to the competition.

Whether Keano goes back at this stage or not, I've lost any respect I had for a lot of the players and staff on team. Regardless of the rights and wrongs of the situation, all the leaks (and seemingly misinformation re: what he said) have been coming from the team camp....

I think most eL fans have little but contempt for the FAI for the way they handle our league, but they must shoulder the responsibility for lighting the match that started this fire...... If facilities, training gear, sports drinks, direct flights etc etc had been right, then Keano wouldn't have had a problem to go to McCarthy/ The Press about in the first place and all this could have been avoided. By penny pinching they could ultimately cost the association millions of revenue from the knock out stages.....

dahamsta
28/05/2002, 3:13 PM
Have you evidence for your claim that I tend to quote the press as if it were gospel?

Well, your posts over the last few days (http://kiss-and-make-up-girls.foot.ie/search.php?s=&action=finduser&userid=400) have been enough for me to draw that conclusion. Every time someone writes a pro-Keane article, you draw attention to the article as if it was the ultimate absolution of Keane.

Isn't this a forum for discussion, where topics related to football are discussed? Am I not entitled to engage in these discussions? Or do you not want me to express my views?

Yes it is, yes you are, whatever gave you that idea, and I'll reiterate your second two questions back at you.

adam

dahamsta
28/05/2002, 3:19 PM
Well I wouldn't consider myself a bandwagon supporter, but I've got to say I'm losing interest in the world cup

Oddly, I'm more interested in it now. :)

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of the situation, all the leaks (and seemingly misinformation re: what he said) have been coming from the team camp....

I don't think that's fair tbh Macy. We had a full half-hour of it from Keane last night. I'm not saying he's not telling the truth, but personally I wouldn't put a whole lot of credence in Keane's utterings. Of course, at this stage, I wouldn't put much credence in /anybody's/ utterings. I just wish they'd all stop acting like a bunch of fairies and get on with the game. Isn't that what the World Cup is supposed to be about? Or is it /really/ all about the money, fame and fortune?

I agree with you about the FAI, but of course that goes without saying. Nothing short of a coup d'etat will sort that bunch of muppets out though.

adam

patsh
28/05/2002, 3:25 PM
Well, your posts over the last few dayshave been enough for me to draw that conclusion. Every time someone writes a pro-Keane article, you draw attention to the article as if it was the ultimate absolution of Keane.
adam

I quoted something from Liveline, posted an article from the IT and referred to a few articles in some of my posts. I have to say that the conclusion you have drawn is ridiculous.

A face
28/05/2002, 3:42 PM
A wise man once said : Chill the bean feens !!

And i have to say i agree with him :)

Tóg go bóg é !!

patsh
28/05/2002, 3:48 PM
Originally posted by A face
And i have to say i agree with him :)
Tóg go bóg é !!
Who the f*ck do you think you are, talking in front of everyone about me? The only reason you have anything to do with me is that, somehow, you get to be on the same messageboard as me.
You are a crap contributor and a crap poster. Ya f*ckin Cork c*nt, shove it up yer b*llix!

.................. :D

(yeah, i have f*ckall to do at the momentexcept post to here !!) :-)

A face
28/05/2002, 3:52 PM
Say sorry and you can come back if all the other posters agree with it. :D

dahamsta
28/05/2002, 3:55 PM
This thread is just getting bizarre!

adam

Macy
28/05/2002, 4:12 PM
[B]I don't think that's fair tbh Macy. We had a full half-hour of it from Keane last night. I'm not saying he's not telling the truth, but personally I wouldn't put a whole lot of credence in Keane's utterings. Of course, at this stage, I wouldn't put much credence in /anybody's/ utterings. I just wish they'd all stop acting like a bunch of fairies and get on with the game. Isn't that what the World Cup is supposed to be about? Or is it /really/ all about the money, fame and fortune?

IMO there is a difference between Keane actually putting his name/ actually telling his story, and "unnamed sources"/"reported as saying" etc. that was flying around all the press in the immediate aftermath.....
On this thread anyway, like I said I don't really want to get into the rights and wrongs of the actual arguement..... I am bias as I'm a big Keane fan, and have never rated McCarthy as a manager (even back to before he was appointed).

dahamsta
28/05/2002, 4:14 PM
IMO there is a difference between Keane actually putting his name/ actually telling his story, and "unnamed sources"/"reported as saying" etc. that was flying around all the press in the immediate aftermath.....

Fair point.

adam

pete
28/05/2002, 4:44 PM
Aside from the little news reports & quotes here & there the only pieces of news I can comment on are;

- RK interview in the IT. (IMO one of best sports intervierws in a long time)
- RK interview on RTE. (Interesting but sentimental. - Tommie Gorman anyone???)

Besides edited quotes here 'n there from McCarthy or the players I haven't heard much from them directly.

I think almost everyone has a bit less interest in the WC now but theres a big difference between that & boycotting it.

patsh
28/05/2002, 4:54 PM
In my humble opinion, nobody from the FAI, team management, squad or the RK camp should say anything at all to the press until after the Cameroon match. Do not even give the team selection out, let FIFA do it........ :)

Macy
28/05/2002, 5:20 PM
Besides edited quotes here 'n there from McCarthy or the players I haven't heard much from them directly.

I think that's the point, particularly about the 'clear the air' meeting..... :(

brine2
28/05/2002, 10:36 PM
I've been following the the national team since I could walk. I've been to away fixtures. I've known all the players names, positions, ages, weaknesses and strengths for as long as I can remember. I love to follow the Ireland team as much as anyone else. But I'm taking a well deserved nap come Saturday morning. Mick can stick the World Cup up his arse.

The Legend
29/05/2002, 12:47 AM
Well, if by some miracle, Duff went beserk in the first game and scored a hat-trick...

.. i wonder if you'd watch the second game...

brine2
29/05/2002, 8:17 AM
Not as long as that excuse for a manager is in charge.

Neil
29/05/2002, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by brine2
Mick can stick the World Cup up his arse.

Fair play boy. You're a true Irishman.

If you could time it so that you wake up just in time for England's game on Sunday, and support them. That would really get at Mick.

A face
29/05/2002, 10:27 AM
Or go to the Cotton Ball in Mayfield .... They are supporting Cameroon, I suppose it is a bit like ManUre .... People support them 'cos they know they will win.

Neil
29/05/2002, 10:29 AM
I'm praying Ireland win on Saturday. Firstly because I'm Irish, but secondly to shut up all the turncoats.

kilbrin
29/05/2002, 11:30 AM
I've agrred with Keane all through this but nothing would ever make me not support my country no matter who the manager is.

pete
29/05/2002, 11:34 AM
You have to wonder if the same public outcry would have happened if it was one of the lesser players in the squad?

Sadly even without our best player we still have a team, without a manager we would have no team.

I'll be watching as many WC games as possible but since we not going to win it anyway does it really matter? Does it make a difference to irish football whether we exit at round 1, 2 or the 1/4 finals?

Colm
29/05/2002, 11:42 AM
But I'm taking a well deserved nap come Saturday morning. Mick can stick the World Cup up his arse. Well I hope you enjoy your well deserved nap. As far as im concerned that is the worst possible attitude you can take.
Ive supported Roy throughout this saga but ill still be up early on saturday morning supporting Mick and the players that ARE there and that ARE playing. Obviously Id prefer Keane to be there but Keane or no Keane i still want my country to do aswell as possible in the world cup, after all we have waited 8 long years to be in a world cup.
Anybody who does not wish Ireland the best on Saturday is a disgrace and does not deserve to call themselves an Irish supporter.

MikeW
29/05/2002, 11:55 AM
Since when can you pick and choose when to support a team and when not? If anyone supports Cameroon against Ireland on Saturday they should never, ever have the right to call themselves Irish fans again, no matter who the manager or players are. You do NOT turn against your own team, I don't care what the situation is you stick with them through thick and thin, thats what footballs about for gods sake. These fairweather "fan", turncoats make me nauseous just thinking about them. They've no right to even call themselves football fans, they're a disgrace to the country and to football.

Schumi
29/05/2002, 12:55 PM
I'm taking a well deserved nap come Saturday morning. Mick can stick the World Cup up his arse.

What a ****ing idiot.

brine2
29/05/2002, 1:47 PM
As I've already said, I have always supported Ireland through thick and thin. I've followed the team to many an away fixture.

You can throw any kind of expletives you want at me - I'm entitled to my opinion. I wish people would respect that.

dahamsta
29/05/2002, 2:43 PM
Isn't this "thin"?

adam

Éanna
29/05/2002, 4:03 PM
Originally posted by oddboy
I heard som guy on Liveline last week say he burned his Man Utd shirt. Sad really....
The more the merrier

brine2
29/05/2002, 4:34 PM
Vetinari, "thin" is when the team gives it their all and lose. My opinion of the current situation is that we have all been shafted by McCarthy, the FAI, Keane and the rest of the squad.

pete
29/05/2002, 4:38 PM
Is thin the bad part of think 'n thin?

Good times - when team/club doing well. Playing well 7 losing could be described as a good time?

Bad times - now?

:confused:

brine2
29/05/2002, 4:43 PM
Now is actually a great time for Irish soccer - we're about to play in a World Cup finals competition! I just feel hurt and let down by McCarthy at the moment after supporting the team and the youth teams for so many years and going to away matches.

I hope people will respect my opinion instead of calling me a sunshine supporter or a f*cking idiot - because that hurts. There's nothing more that I'd like to see than Ireland doing well, of course I hope they win against Cameroon. Somebody here suggested I was cheering for Cameroon, that's a pack of lies if there ever was one. I just feel incredibly let down at the moment.

The Legend
29/05/2002, 11:26 PM
i hear what Brine is saying.
I'd love ireland to win the world cup...
But i'd also love to see some serious heads get chopped for this fiasco..

... i havent made up my mind who's head that should be just yet...
Well all the FAI top brass for sure...

Anyway, i watch the Cameroon game and support the irish team with HOPE and best wishes now...

Before the disaster, i was going to watch it with ANTICIPATION.