PDA

View Full Version : Your Irish XV against Wales?

joeSoap
21/02/2006, 11:51 AM
Given the 'injury' to Foley thats kept him out of the squad, my team would be:

Girvan Dempsey; Geordan Murphy, Brian O'Driscoll, Andrew Trimble, Denis Hickie; Ronan O'Gara, Peter Stringer; Marcus Horan, Jerry Flannery, John Hayes; Donncha O'Callaghan, Paul O'Connell (c); David Wallace, Denis Leamy, Jamie Heaslip.

Subs; Simon Best, Rory Best, Mick O'Driscoll, Simon Easterby, Eoin Reddan, David Humphreys, Shane Horgan.

But I can't see it happening........of the team against France, Bowe and O'Kelly have to be assassinated..D'Arcy and Horgan are also expendable given the cover we have in their positions. Sadly lack of cover in key areas such as out half, scrum half, tight head and no.8 means we're always going to struggle. Don't be surprised to see Trimble in for Bowe as the only change from the french backline, and O'Callaghan for O'Kelly and Marcus back as the only changes to the pack.

beautifulrock
21/02/2006, 12:04 PM
Heaslip wont start almost certainly, Bowe will be dropped with as you say possibly Trimble in his place. However, prefer to see Murphy move to the wing with Dempsey at full back. The back row will not change, second row possibly Kelly out and Donnacha in (but dont put too much money on that) MArcus subject to fitness back in.

Macy
21/02/2006, 12:18 PM
Sadly lack of cover in key areas such as out half, scrum half, tight head and no.8 means we're always going to struggle.
Both props wouldn't make any other team in the 6 nations - messing around the back row is going to make fook all difference.

O'Callaghan should be in, but if O'Connell doesn't recover then I'd expect O'Kelly to start again. Would like to see Gleeson back in, as I think he's our best in the loose, but like I said, back row isn't the problem area in the scrum.

As for the girlies... Stringer had his best game for a while, so he stays. O'Gara a shoe in anyway. I'd have Trimble in for Bowe, and drop Murphy for Dempsey. Murphy needs a major kick up the arse after his recent performances, never mind his diabolical performance in Paris. Dempsey garanteed to be steady.

Schumi
21/02/2006, 12:23 PM
Dempsey; Horgan, O'Driscoll, Darcy, Hickie; O'Gara, Stringer; Horan, Flannery, Hayes; O'Callaghan, O'Connell; Leamy, Gleeson, Wallace.

finlma
21/02/2006, 12:50 PM
I wouldn't drop D'Arcy or Horgan - they were the best of the backs against France and there's no logic in leaving worse performers (namely Murphy) on the team. Its all about form as EOS says. I would drop Murphy all together, he's rarely performed for Ireland. Bowe being dropped is witout question and he should never play again unless there is a massive improvement.

DOC should come in for MOK and I think we should play a natural no.8 in that postion, but with Foley injured I'd stick with Leamy. Heaslip coming off the bench for experience. I think Gleeson should play in the back line also, probably at the expense of Easterby.

We badly need to develop some props.

My team:

Dempsey, Horgan, BOD, Darcy, Hickie, O'Gara, Stringer, Horan, Flannery, Hayes, POC, DOC, Gleeson, Wallace, Leamy

Soko
21/02/2006, 2:05 PM
The only changes will be Trimble for Bowe and O' Callaghan for O' Kelly, assuming POC is fit.

There's no point speculating anything else, you'll just be ****ed off again when he selects Easterby. If he leaves DOC on the bench for O' Kelly I might not bother watching the game.

Dodge
21/02/2006, 2:15 PM
Wouldn't play Gleeson and Wallace. I'd play Leamy at 6, Wallace/Gleeson at 7 and Heaslip at 8 but Heaslip has no chance. D'Arcy certainly doesn't deserve to be dropped. I think Hickie will come in for Bowe with Trimble staying on bench. O'Callaghan almost certain to start

Over the post
21/02/2006, 5:54 PM
O'Callaghan and O'Driscoll in the second row, Murphy to the wing with Dempsey at full back.

O'Kelly is past it and it makes sense to play the two Munster locks as they have been on fire all season. Easterby is the only player I'd consider changing in the backrow but I'd give him a half against the Welsh to see if he raises his game, he's well capable of it. Murphy was dire in the first half in Paris, but looked a lot better in the second. He plays as a winger for his club and should be given the start there on Sunday. I can't believe I'm calling for Dempsey to come back but in fairness he's been doing the business for Leinster. Payne is eligible for Ireland and while unspectacular is safe as houses at 15, he could be an option if Dempsey disappoints again.

finlma
22/02/2006, 7:54 AM
O'Callaghan and O'Driscoll in the second row,

I presume thats a mistake and you mean O'Connell - not O'Driscoll. I don't think Mick is ready for the big stage yet.

joeSoap
22/02/2006, 8:21 AM
O'Callaghan and O'Driscoll in the second row,

I presume thats a mistake and you mean O'Connell - not O'Driscoll. I don't think Mick is ready for the big stage yet.

Seeing as Paul is out, I'd say he's spot on...

finlma
22/02/2006, 8:34 AM
Didn't know he was ruled out till I checked the sports news there. I'd play O'Driscoll too but can't see EOS doing that - he'll stick with big Mal.

joeSoap
22/02/2006, 9:01 AM
The only changes I think the lily livered one will make are: Trimble for Bowe. Donncha for Paul and Marcus back in for Best.

pete
22/02/2006, 2:31 PM
Team announced. Very conservative & only 1 non-enforced change.

Ireland XV v Wales at Lansdowne Road, Sunday, Feb 26:
G Murphy (Leicester); S Horgan (Leinster), B O'Driscoll (Leinster, captain), G D'Arcy (Leinster), A Trimble (Ulster); R O'Gara (Munster), P Stringer (Munster); M Horan (Munster), J Flannery (Munster), J Hayes (Munster), D O'Callaghan (Munster), M O'Kelly (Leinster), S Easterby (Llanelli), D Wallace (Munster), D Leamy (Munster).

Replacements: R Best (Ulster), S Best (Ulster), M O'Driscoll (Munster), J O'Connor (Wasps), E Reddan (Wasps), D Humphreys (Ulster), G Dempsey (Leinster).

joeSoap
22/02/2006, 2:40 PM
The only changes I think the lily livered one will make are: Trimble for Bowe. Donncha for Paul and Marcus back in for Best.

Soooooo predictable that O'Sullivan...wa nk er....

Over the post
22/02/2006, 5:33 PM
Soooooo predictable that O'Sullivan...wa nk er....

Spot on.

Don't reckon there's much chance of him surprising us with different tactics either. Same flat back line juggling the ball towards the touchline... It's just as well the Welsh look to be in even worse shape than ourselves.

joeSoap
23/02/2006, 9:09 AM
Wales are 12/5 to beat us. Now that our only natural leader of men is gone, and we have nobody to take the pack by the scruff of the neck, I think we could get whacked up front. The welsh front row are strong, second rows average(but we've got Mal), and their back row is a great unit. They're better than us at half back, so if they play it tight, they'll beat us. Also, they've gotta have a better bench than us, even though I haven't seen it, so I'm putting €50 on the Welsh.

finlma
23/02/2006, 9:26 AM
I think we'll beat the Welsh comfortablly - they're a poor outfit this season. In a way though I'd nearly prefer us to lose. If we beat Wales and Scotland its likely that EOS will stay in his job and he does not deserve it. The only way that he will go is if we lose both games.

Soko
23/02/2006, 3:19 PM
Wales are 12/5 to beat us. Now that our only natural leader of men is gone, and we have nobody to take the pack by the scruff of the neck, I think we could get whacked up front. The welsh front row are strong, second rows average(but we've got Mal), and their back row is a great unit. They're better than us at half back, so if they play it tight, they'll beat us. Also, they've gotta have a better bench than us, even though I haven't seen it, so I'm putting €50 on the Welsh.

Give the money to a bum, it'll be better spent.

The Welsh pack will not smash anyone, anywhere. The are in dissary and their captain is gone too in far more sinister circumstances. If we dont win by 10 we should pull out of the championship.

Honestly I doubt if you've even watched Wales play recently. The only success they have is from spreading it wide and playing continuity rugby. I'd love them to keep it tight and play away from their strengths but I doubt they are that stupid.

CollegeTillIDie
25/02/2006, 7:05 PM
So what's the consensus about Eddie's actual selection?