PDA

View Full Version : U-21 Squad VS Sweden

tetsujin1979
20/02/2006, 7:42 PM
from http://eleven-a-side.com/boysingreen/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=21271
Nothing on fai.ie (yet) and it does seem a bit small for a squad. Willo Flood is only just back from injury, don't know how Stuart Pearce would react to him being called up so soon afterwards
Also Whelan is in the squad, which may explain why he's not in the seniors, on the other hand, I thought he was overage for the U-21s?
Lastly, Leon Best is in the squad so we may see him end all the talk about him.

Squad:
Republic of Ireland under-21 (friendly v Sweden, 28/2/06):

Goalkeepers:
Quigley (UCD),
Doyle (Birmingham City – on loan at Millwal).

Defenders:
Foley (Luton Town),
McShane (Manchester United – on loan at Brighton),
R. Keogh (Bristol City),
Painter (Birmingham City),
Bruce (Birmingham City),
Hand (Huddersfield Town).

Midfielders:
Flood (Manchester City),
Dicker (UCD),
Potter (Liverpool - on loan at Southampton),
Whelan (Sheffield Wednesday),
Timlin (Fulham),
O’Donovan (Cork City).

Forwards:
Tabb (Brentford),
Ward (Bohemians),
A. Keogh (S****horpe United),
Best (Southampton – on loan at Sheffield Wednesday).

Superhoops
20/02/2006, 7:46 PM
Lastly, Leon Best is in the squad so we may see him end all the talk about him.
Any bets he will pull out injured before next Tuesday.

Donal81
21/02/2006, 8:45 AM
Where's the game on?

Donal81
21/02/2006, 8:46 AM
Is that Alex Bruce that has been called up? Now that's controversial...

tetsujin1979
21/02/2006, 8:52 AM
Where's the game on?
Drogheda I believe, but I'm open to correction on this

Not really, he declared for Ireland and was called into the next available squad.

Donal81
21/02/2006, 8:57 AM
Drogheda I believe, but I'm open to correction on this

Cheers mate

Not really, he declared for Ireland and was called into the next available squad.

You know what I mean. The manner of his declaration wasn't exactly bursting with honour and pride, was it?

Dodge
21/02/2006, 10:11 AM
Only turned down NI last week in a statement...

Roverstillidie
21/02/2006, 10:40 AM

what possible connection has he to ireland?

Donal81
21/02/2006, 10:51 AM

His grandparents, as far as I know. It's his audacity that bugs me.

"I am going to pick the Republic purely because I think they are a better team," said Bruce.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/irish/4662544.stm

pete
21/02/2006, 12:43 PM
"I am going to pick the Republic purely because I think they are a better team," said Bruce.

Mercenary. Why do we devalue the honour of playing for our country so much? :(

gustavo
21/02/2006, 2:10 PM
does anyone here call us "the Republic" either

Superhoops
21/02/2006, 7:10 PM
He had a cup of tea with Kenny Cunningham once at Birmingham!!!!!

Fergie's Son
21/02/2006, 7:12 PM
What about Garvan at Ipswich. Why isn't he in the panel?

Superhoops
21/02/2006, 7:23 PM
Any bets he will pull out injured before next Tuesday.
Best taken off injured after 61 minutes today in Owls reserve game against Barnsley.

Although Wednesday have an injury crisis at the minute, Best cannot play in weekend game against Southampton cause of his loan agreement. Doubt if he will be allowed travel next week.

Superhoops
21/02/2006, 7:29 PM
What about Garvan at Ipswich. Why isn't he in the panel?
He will be in La Manga with the U-19's who are playing in a tournament in preparation for their Elite Phase of this year’s European Championships.

Poor Student
21/02/2006, 10:35 PM
Any chance this will be on TV?

eirebhoy
21/02/2006, 10:38 PM
Any chance this will be on TV?
Football 17:00 Sky Sports 1 Wales U21 v Northern Ireland U21 International Friendly
Football 19:45 Sky Sports 1 England U21 v Norway U21 International Friendly

No Ireland.

Stuttgart88
22/02/2006, 7:55 AM
Extract from this morning's Indo:

Givens' preparations have also been boosted by Steve Staunton's decision to allow the U21s to share the senior team's headquarters at Portmarnock. Staunton is also keen to reintroduce training matches between the senior and U21s.

In my view this is an excellent decision. What better way for the senior manager to get a good, regular look at the younger players and especially any domestic based players.

The morning after the Swiss game, I was beside Robbie Keane at the baggage carousel at Heathrow waiting for our luggage. I asked him what he thought of players like Paul McShane. He said he didn't know him & they didn't train with the U21s. I couldn't believe it.

I don't know that guy Hand at Huddersfield. Anyone know him? 11-a-side.com says Gary Dicker is being watched by Charlton.

Tets, Whelan played against the Swiss that night. By that stage Givens was only picking players who remained U21 eligible as they had sunk like a stone in the qualifying group. So Whelan must still be eligible though I thought he's 22 now.

Am I right in thinking that both Randolph & Supple are in the U19 squad also?

It looks like a good squad (especially when you think that U19s like Garvan would probably get in too) but only 15 months ago we were saying on this board that the then U21 squad was possibly our best ever!

Dassa
22/02/2006, 10:16 AM
does anyone here call us "the Republic" either

Yes I do Ireland in football terms havent existed for many years. so yes I do stops the confusion.

tetsujin1979
22/02/2006, 10:17 AM
Tets, Whelan played against the Swiss that night. By that stage Givens was only picking players who remained U21 eligible as they had sunk like a stone in the qualifying group. So Whelan must still be eligible though I thought he's 22 now.
O'Brien and Kelly both played that night too, O'Brien beside Whelan in central midfield, and Kelly at centre half. Both in the senior squad now too, although I'm fairly sure O'Brien still qualifies for the U-21's, not certain about Kelly. As I said, this is only on eleven-a-side.com, not on fai.ie, so don't go taking it as gospel just yet.

Dassa
22/02/2006, 10:17 AM
He will be in La Manga with the U-19's who are playing in a tournament in preparation for their Elite Phase of this year’s European Championships.

Any idea when this phase begins.
Looking through the squad there, didnt realise Keogh was from down south, good wee player whos scores lot of goals.

Stuttgart88
22/02/2006, 10:47 AM
O'Brien and Kelly both played that night too, O'Brien beside Whelan in central midfield, and Kelly at centre half. Both in the senior squad now too, although I'm fairly sure O'Brien still qualifies for the U-21's, not certain about Kelly. As I said, this is only on eleven-a-side.com, not on fai.ie, so don't go taking it as gospel just yet.Kelly is too old now I think. Kelly didn't play that night - Fitzgerald & McShane were the centre-halves. Kelly played centre-half (badly according to scoccerc) against Norn Iron U21s :)

O'Brien is still eligible but is in the senior squad for totally justifiable reasons.

tetsujin1979
22/02/2006, 12:42 PM
Kelly didn't play that night - Fitzgerald & McShane were the centre-halves. Kelly played centre-half (badly according to scoccerc) against Norn Iron U21s :)
My mistake, Kelly had played centre-half for a few games in the run up to it, think he was at centre half for the France U-21 game too. What's worse is I was at the game and should remember these things!!

Superhoops
22/02/2006, 9:41 PM
Any idea when this phase begins.
Looking through the squad there, didnt realise Keogh was from down south, good wee player whos scores lot of goals.
The Elite Phase of the Under 19 European Championship will be played in Slovakia from the 19th to the 23rd May 2006. Irleand's group opponents will be Georgia, Slovakia and Turkey.

Kaiser
22/02/2006, 10:47 PM
Given the various doubts over O'Shea and Breen and our lack of options in this area, is Kelly a viable alternative for us at centre-half?

Stuttgart88
23/02/2006, 7:24 AM
Given the various doubts over O'Shea and Breen and our lack of options in this area, is Kelly a viable alternative for us at centre-half?Not from what I hear. A few lads on this forum went up to see the U21s play in Norn Iron & they said he was absolutre muck in that position. We're not spoilt for choice I agree but Paddy McCarthy at Leicester is a long way ahead of Kelly for a shot at centre-back in my opinion.

Poor Student
27/02/2006, 10:40 AM
Football 17:00 Sky Sports 1 Wales U21 v Northern Ireland U21 International Friendly
Football 19:45 Sky Sports 1 England U21 v Norway U21 International Friendly

No Ireland.

Who has the rights to U-21 home games? Will it even be on the radio?

tetsujin1979
27/02/2006, 10:43 AM
Who has the rights to U-21 home games? Will it even be on the radio?
I was under the impression that Sky have the rights, they got them as part of the deal that gave them the rights to the senior team as well. Although it may only be for the competitive games. They do seem to pick and choose what games they broadcast.

eirebhoy
27/02/2006, 10:57 AM
They showed the Ireland - Scotland friendly so they can show whatever they like. There isn't the demand to see Ireland U21s.