PDA

View Full Version : Alan Quinn

kingcolers
20/02/2006, 3:16 PM
any reason why Alan Quinn of Sheffield United wasn't picked for the squad? Looks decent any time i've seen him play yet was ignored by Kerr for the last year or so. As we're not exactly blessed with central midfield talent, surely he should get a look in?

livehead1
20/02/2006, 3:18 PM
every time i see the teams in the papers he is consistantly on the bench for the last 2-3months. therefore he cant really be included if hes never playing, they dont even bring him off the bench all that much, hes alrite though, obv nothing special

eirebhoy
20/02/2006, 4:47 PM
I wouldn't say Kerr ignored him. He was in the squad for 17 consecutive games up to and including the Italy match. Kerr seemed to like him. He's only played 2 games since Christmas though so I can understand him going for Miller instead.

soccerc
20/02/2006, 9:48 PM
every time i see the teams in the papers he is consistantly on the bench for the last 2-3months. therefore he cant really be included if hes never playing, they dont even bring him off the bench all that much, hes alrite though, obv nothing special

Alan has started 22 of Sheffield United's games this season and was subbed four times. He picked up an injury against Plymouth and missed the last two games against Reading and Wednesday, so I don't think Alan has been consistently on the bench.

Condex
20/02/2006, 9:53 PM
any reason why Alan Quinn of Sheffield United wasn't picked for the squad? Looks decent any time i've seen him play yet was ignored by Kerr for the last year or so. As we're not exactly blessed with central midfield talent, surely he should get a look in?

Because he's no good, I'm sure the Czechs and Germans are quaking in their boots at the thought of facing him!!

Soper
21/02/2006, 12:45 AM
Because he's no good, I'm sure the Czechs and Germans are quaking in their boots at the thought of facing him!!
And they will over the thought of Miller and Douglas?

Jesus, people on this site think we're Brazil or something.

as_i_say
21/02/2006, 7:49 AM
And they will over the thought of Miller and Douglas?

Jesus, people on this site think we're Brazil or something.

Yes indeedy. If Irelands fav bench warmer and douglas can get in the squad, quinn should also saying that though I agree with the previous caller, hes not anything special but then neither are we any more.

This must be how it feels to be a northern ireland fan.

wait no sorry-they are complete sh ite. :cool:

OwlsFan
21/02/2006, 9:07 AM
Yes indeedy. If Irelands fav bench warmer and douglas can get in the squad, quinn should also saying that though I agree with the previous caller, hes not anything special but then neither are we any more.

Agree with that. Unless he's made spectacular progress at the Piggies since his Wednesday days, he's not international class but then which of our current centre midfielders is ? Certainly worth a place in the squad though.

kingcolers
21/02/2006, 10:26 AM
Agree with that. Unless he's made spectacular progress at the Piggies since his Wednesday days, he's not international class but then which of our current centre midfielders is ? Certainly worth a place in the squad though.

well that was my whole point. if he's playing regularly for sheff united, who are second in the championship, then regardless of whether he's international class or not, he's probably one of the best we have. so don't know why he isnt in the squad. plus, he could be playing in the prem next year...

colster
21/02/2006, 10:48 AM
Alan has started 22 of Sheffield United's games this season and was subbed four times. He picked up an injury against Plymouth and missed the last two games against Reading and Wednesday, so I don't think Alan has been consistently on the bench.

They've played 35 league games. If you take cup games into account he's probably only started just over 50% of the games.
Staunton has had a look at Douglas, Miller and Quinn and has made the judgement call.
IMO he's probably right.

colster
21/02/2006, 10:54 AM

This must be how it feels to be a northern ireland fan.

wait no sorry-they are complete sh ite. :cool:

Miller has proved when at Celtic that he can compete at European level. When has Quinn done that? Miller has had a nightmare since going to united. Who's to say that he won't rediscover the form he had at Celtic. I think he's a player short on confidence who needs a bit of encouragement and support from a manager. I think Staunton is right to pick him for the squad.

kingcolers
21/02/2006, 11:06 AM
i remember seeing quinn having a great game when ireland beat holland in that friendly a couple of years back. half our squad haven't played in europe so that cant really be a criteria.

Condex
21/02/2006, 11:18 AM
i remember seeing quinn having a great game when ireland beat holland in that friendly a couple of years back. half our squad haven't played in europe so that cant really be a criteria.

Yip, was at that game and as far as I could see the Dutch couldn't be bothered..

colster
21/02/2006, 11:45 AM

Yes he did play well but I remember seeing Miller play well for Celtic in a number of Champions League games.
Look Staunton's job is to get the best out of the players at this disposal. IMO Miller at top form is better than Quinn at top form.

eirebhoy
21/02/2006, 12:23 PM
Yip, was at that game and as far as I could see the Dutch couldn't be bothered..
Typical response to any decent performance in a friendly. :) The Dutch players were playing for a place in the team for Euro 2004. It was their last game in front of their home fans before they flew to Portugal. It was their first defeat in the Amsterdam ArenA since it was built in 1996. The players got booed off the park by the tens of thousands of Dutch fans. We were a different team in friendlies under Kerr. God only knows why we couldn't do it in competitives but I'd say it was more to do with phschology than the other team not bothering to play.

as_i_say
21/02/2006, 12:30 PM
Yes he did play well but I remember seeing Miller play well for Celtic in a number of Champions League games.
Look Staunton's job is to get the best out of the players at this disposal. IMO Miller at top form is better than Quinn at top form.

Yes I think Miller should be given a second chance. If stan can get him playing to his best then he'll have achieved something akin to what mccarthy did with the likes of staunton, kilbane, breen, mcateer and was his mark as a manager.

I really hope stan can do the same where kerr failed utterly. Having said that, miller had just one very good season for celtic and is still only a championship player but we're not brazil we're the republic of ireland so yeah I'd give the waterboy benchwarmer another go.

NeilMcD
21/02/2006, 4:12 PM
Yeah that is the question that has to be asked kerr did not get one player to improve under him. Now I know this is mainly the job of a club manager. But there was a time when plyaers improved playing for Ireland and Kerr really failed to do that in the competitive games. If we only knew why we played so much better in friendlies than we did in competitive games and I for one think it was to do with fear in the dressing room brought on by the manager.

colster
21/02/2006, 4:15 PM
Yeah that is the question that has to be asked kerr did not get one player to improve under him. Now I know this is mainly the job of a club manager. But there was a time when plyaers improved playing for Ireland and Kerr really failed to do that in the competitive games. If we only knew why we played so much better in friendlies than we did in competitive games and I for one think it was to do with fear in the dressing room brought on by the manager.

I agree with that. We need to get a healthy disrepect for the opposition back into the squad.

kingcolers
21/02/2006, 4:25 PM

well said. let's hope he tries to get the best out of quinn at some point too.

dynamo kerry
21/02/2006, 6:16 PM
quinn was injured for much of the start of the season. he played a lot of games while fit in the middle part of the season when sheff utd consolidated their position. he is the only player to score for both sheffield teams in a local derby in over 100 years

not that the last bit matters but he's been solid most of the season.. no reason to be down on him. I don't particularly rate him myself but he's not much worse than miller et al