PDA

View Full Version : Setanta Cup - City v Portadown latest

A face
20/02/2006, 12:41 PM
Portadown, Cork to meet in Setanta Cup repeat

Portadown and Cork City meet tonight in a repeat of their stormy Setanta Cup clash last season. In a game that Cork needed to win to reach the final, a Gary Hamilton stunner gave Portadown a deserved 1-0 victory.

However, the game was remembered for other reasons as Hamilton and Cork 'keeper Mark McNulty were sent off. Both players are suspended tonight and McNulty's ban is likely to affect Cork more with first choice 'keeper Michael Devine doubtful through injury.

Read more at www.breakingnews.ie (http://www.breakingnews.ie/story.asp?j=144849130&p=y448497zx&n=144849819&x=)

James
20/02/2006, 6:54 PM
city line up

Devine
hoggie-bennet-murray-murphy
colin-gamble-georgie-roy
flynny-fenn

city playing 4-4-2
danny murphy new bleached hair, 500 crowd there only, with 50 city fans
v v v cold,,

James
20/02/2006, 7:09 PM
1-0 ROY o donovan

magic

ccfcgirl
20/02/2006, 7:34 PM
latest1-1

daveh
20/02/2006, 7:41 PM
O'Flynn the goalscorer

ccfcgirl
20/02/2006, 8:27 PM
Still 1-1 Devine and Gamble got Yellow cards.

James
20/02/2006, 8:39 PM
1-1 full time
5 city players booked for nothing
all city

ccfcman
21/02/2006, 7:14 AM
Any one who saw it / was there care to comment on the performance/ Doesnt sound like one to remember from James comment of vvv cold :D

Risteard
21/02/2006, 8:40 AM
Jayz, i'm shocked at that attendance figure.
Very disheartening.
Whats the Ports average league attendance roughly?

Anyone know who was on the bench for City last night?

redgav
21/02/2006, 8:43 AM
Very very very cold , terrible game .City were rusty and considering Ports are mid season I expected more from them .Mick devine started but should never have been left out on the pitch .Danny murphy was taking his kick outs and anytime MD got a back pass and cleared ,he visibly pulled up in agony .He hobbled thropugh the game and I'm just praying theres no long term damage

Obviously I'm biased but I genuinly felt city had more of the play,held onto and passed the ball better than ports who seemed to be over zealous with the long hoof .Referree was very poor , 4 bookings from city and I reckon 2 of em were about right , MD,JG,ROD,GOC all booked .Got very little from him all nite .
Our goal was a nice start to the season .Nice play from Fenn and Roy ,lovely ball to flynnie to knock under the keeper.Had a near rerun 5mins later when Fenn was through but keeper saved .
We were coasting it and it was a min into the added 2 when a nothing ball into the box caught Danny a bit , he swung at it to clear,but got no power in it ,went staright to a ports lad who crossed to the far post for the edward woodward
Apart from that it was long range speculative shots from city although we ghad a decent shout for a penalty right at the end .

Lighting was poor so alot of confusion over the city scorer,distance from the pitch is huge as well .Great reception up there again and plenty of beers in the members bar with the locals .

Stopped in carrickdale on the way up for a "bowl of soup" and met the glentoran fans buses so had a bit of a laugh with them and then the Derry Exiles arrived to a City/glens chant of Championeez :D

Oh and did I mention it was freezin cold ??

redgav
21/02/2006, 8:44 AM
Jayz, i'm shocked at that attendance figure.
Very disheartening.
Whats the Ports average league attendance roughly?

Anyone know who was on the bench for City last night?

Attendance was terrible , really poor .

AFAIK their average gate is 1200 .Didn't come close to that last nite .

The cold didn't help tho .Jaysus I had nipples that'd cut diamonds all nite :D

Peadar
21/02/2006, 9:56 AM
There was well more than 500 there.
Sure there was 800 at least in the terrace.

City played some very good passing football in the second half.
The Ports goal came directly from a poor clearance by Danny. He didn't put a foot wrong for the rest of the game though.

I thought Behan would have been a good option to bring off the bench when we were dominating and pressing for the winner. We were the better side overall, there's no doubt about that. I was impressed with how strongly we finished. Great to see that level of fitness in your first competitive game.

The referee was brutal!
Gave city nothing and booked Roy for diving. There wasn't anything cynical about the game of no bad challenges, yet 5 City players got booked. All the signs of a ref who thinks he's clever and has a point to prove. A complete tosser and I'd say he's a total gobshíte in real life too by the attitude he showed.

pete
21/02/2006, 12:40 PM
The cold didn't help tho .Jaysus I had nipples that'd cut diamonds all nite :D

Less about your man breast lets keep it football talk here...

Last year attendance was about 1000 & definitely less people there last night. Made to feel very welcome by the home fans but ground is really terrible for such a crowd.

I don't usually bitch about the refs (used to them at this stage) but he was a real home town ref. At least2-3 city players booked for what appeared to be nothing whereas no Portadown bookings for numerous heavy tackles from behind.

City suffered from lack of width but that was obvious. Some very slick first time passing in midfield which will only improve with games. City domindated the 2nd half & suffered from lack of goalscorers (Behan should have come on).

Risteard
21/02/2006, 12:43 PM
Fair play to ye for making that journey lads.
Come on.
Player ratings!