PDA

View Full Version : Liverpool v Man Utd

KK77
20/02/2006, 8:33 AM
discuss...............

ColinR
20/02/2006, 8:44 AM
best team won, match was poor again (three poor matches between the two this season with only two headed goals from set pieces to show).

united midfield seemed no existant.

the liverpool fans need to hang their head in shame for their chants at the end

Block G Raptor
20/02/2006, 9:01 AM
the liverpool fans need to hang their head in shame for their chants at the end#
Elaborate ?

KK77
20/02/2006, 9:05 AM
Yes the fans who chanted at Smith at the end should hang their heads in shame though lets praise the ones that clapped him off as well. Walking back down breack road after the game i got a text off a mate of mine who's a Man U fan STH and was at the game himself anyway he was saying sorry for the Hillsboro chants i didn't hear them myself but again shows that both clubs have decent fans but i suppose it's always easier to point out the bad incidents created by the minority.

ColinR
20/02/2006, 9:11 AM
Yes the fans who chanted at Smith at the end should hang their heads in shame though lets praise the ones that clapped him off as well. Walking back down breack road after the game i got a text off a mate of mine who's a Man U fan STH and was at the game himself anyway he was saying sorry for the Hillsboro chants i didn't hear them myself but again shows that both clubs have decent fans but i suppose it's always easier to point out the bad incidents created by the minority.

yes, sorry should have made it clear that it was aimed at those who chanted. the match reports from some newspapers also mention the munich and hillsborough chants (but you could not hear those ones- the smith one was loud and clear).

but, it should also be noted there was generous applause from a large section of the home fans as well.

Block G Raptor
20/02/2006, 9:26 AM
Minority or not I dont think its acceptable and hope the club take action

Lim till i die
20/02/2006, 9:53 AM

Fupp him!! Seriously I can't for the life of me understand this sudden massive outpouring of sympathy for rat boy Smith. The fact that he has suffered a nasty injury doesn't make him any less of a toe rag who was rather fond of the leg breaking challenge himself in his day.

Once again, Fupp Alan Smith :mad:

Hulsey
20/02/2006, 11:30 AM
You'll always get idiots who give a club a bad name by showing their ignorance. Have to agree with Lim till i die though, he's hardly the nicest player when on the pitch is he?

colster
20/02/2006, 11:32 AM
Fupp him!! Seriously I can't for the life of me understand this sudden massive outpouring of sympathy for rat boy Smith. The fact that he has suffered a nasty injury doesn't make him any less of a toe rag who was rather fond of the leg breaking challenge himself in his day.

Who has he injured.

Hulsey
20/02/2006, 11:46 AM
Who has he injured.
He may not have injured anyone, but has looked like he was trying to on a few occasions.

colster
20/02/2006, 11:52 AM
He may not have injured anyone, but has looked like he was trying to on a few occasions.

So according to some he deserves his potentially career threatening injury because at times he looks like he was trying to injure someone but never has.
Get a life.

Armando
20/02/2006, 1:07 PM

I see you've left your disgracefully tasteless remarks about Smith on 2 threads now. Has he wronged you personally or something? I have to question the character of someone who is glad at someones horrific misfortune just because they don't like the way he conducts himself on a footbal pitch, which by the way I've never had a problem with. You're trying to brand him as some sort of criminal.

I rarely resort to name calling but as someone has already pointed out on the other thread you are indeed a moron.

jockser
20/02/2006, 1:28 PM
Does no one want to discuss how superior liverpool were to manu on saturday?
Out played and put muscled them on every area of the pitch and how stupid fergusons comments on, how liverpool only played for 5 minutes, were. :confused: :confused:

Roo69
20/02/2006, 1:51 PM
best team won, match was poor again (three poor matches between the two this season with only two headed goals from set pieces to show).

united midfield seemed no existant.

the liverpool fans need to hang their head in shame for their chants at the end

Absolutey spot on, but fair play to the fans to clapped him off.

United midfield ? What midfield ?

finlma
20/02/2006, 2:25 PM
and how stupid fergusons comments on, how liverpool only played for 5 minutes, were. :confused: :confused:

Ferguson's comments seem to be getting more and more ridiculous. I think he's in some sort of self-denial about how poor his team are.

Lim Till I Die, your comments are disgraceful.

colster
20/02/2006, 2:41 PM
Out played and put muscled them on every area of the pitch and how stupid fergusons comments on, how liverpool only played for 5 minutes, were. :confused: :confused:

Liverpool were the better team but you'd have to be worried that even though they outplayed United United were still in with a shout at the end.
Ferguson was partially right. Liverpool didn't really press home the dominance they had and could have been sucker punched.

jockser
20/02/2006, 3:17 PM
Liverpool were the better team but you'd have to be worried that even though they outplayed United United were still in with a shout at the end.
Ferguson was partially right. Liverpool didn't really press home the dominance they had and could have been sucker punched.Yes i agree here. Liverpool definately are suffering due to the fact they dont kill off teams when dominating. The perfect example is the old trafford game in January. With some quality strikers liverpool will be a real force next season.

ColinR
20/02/2006, 3:31 PM
its not really down to the strikers that much. the liverpool style is very similar to what benitez had valencia playing when he won the title with them. it was very much about being tight at the back, controlling midfield, and being very patient about getting a lead. they were reknown for one-nil wins.

liverpool are doing very well at this lately, and whilst their forwards are not setting the goalscoring charts alight, they are contributing to the all-round game-plan for their team, and are not as bad as made out.

of the games i've seen them play this season, the only game were they dropped points they shouldn't have was at old trafford (even then i only thought they deserved a draw - but i was biased ;) )

of the two teams, liverpool are certainly on the ascedency, whilst united still have badly got to improve the midfield. as long as fletcher, o'shea, richardson erva? et al are considered good enough for united, then united wont be good enough to win proper trophies

Clifford
20/02/2006, 3:51 PM
its not really down to the strikers that much. the liverpool style is very similar to what benitez had valencia playing when he won the title with them. it was very much about being tight at the back, controlling midfield, and being very patient about getting a lead. they were reknown for one-nil wins.

liverpool are doing very well at this lately, and whilst their forwards are not setting the goalscoring charts alight, they are contributing to the all-round game-plan for their team, and are not as bad as made out.

of the games i've seen them play this season, the only game were they dropped points they shouldn't have was at old trafford (even then i only thought they deserved a draw - but i was biased ;) )

of the two teams, liverpool are certainly on the ascedency, whilst united still have badly got to improve the midfield. as long as fletcher, o'shea, richardson erva? et al are considered good enough for united, then united wont be good enough to win proper trophies

Are you allowed post such sense on here? I'd check the rules if I were you, but if allowed I'd agree with you 100%.

Fergie must stay.

Emmet
20/02/2006, 3:53 PM
It is terrible what has happened to Smith but it happens every week in the lower leagues to some player none of us have ever heard of. Hopefully he will play again though because he is an honest player and no way deserves that kind of misfortune.

With regards to the Liverpool fans they were cheering initially but once they saw the stretcher come out that stopped and virtually the whole of Anfield applauded him off. Would that have happened to a Liverpool player at OT? Doubt it. (Gerrard broke his foot there last season ... I can't recall too many United fans applauding him as he hobbled off)

Fergie said it was the worst injury he had ever seen ... David Busst's injury was worse than that. How could Fergie forget that ???

The game itself was tight. Liverpool controlled it and outmuscled United's smaller and physically weaker midfield. Reina could have sat in the stand he had so little to do (not one shot on target in the whole 90). Ferguson's 'Liverpool only play for five minutes' is interesting - how long did it take him to win the Champions League in 1999?

United on the way down, Liverpool on the way up.

mypost
20/02/2006, 6:33 PM
Out played and put muscled them on every area of the pitch and how stupid fergusons comments on, how liverpool only played for 5 minutes, were.

What do you expect him to say? He NEVER, NEVER, NEVER says the other team were superior to his in any match, regardless of whatever happened. There is ALWAYS a whinge about his opponents when he loses. Despite being comprehensively outplayed in the game, he still claimed that we deserved to lose at OT recently. :confused:

To me, he is a footballing tyrant. His word is law. He no longer conducts press conferences except in Europe. If the media criticises him, he will single out the individual(s) responsible, and refuse to talk to them, forever. He fires boots around his dressing room, and gives players so-called "hairdryer" treatments, should they ever have the temerity to be losing at half-time. If his players say anything risqué against him, they're gone. Beckham, Stam, Keane, etc, etc.

Bill Shankley, and Bob Paisley ran successful sides for years, without needing to use an iron fist, as their players always respected them. As Graeme Souness will probably agree, old style football discipline just doesn't work anymore. Nowadays, Fergie's players either don't listen to him or don't care...or both!! His latest milkwatery excuses of defending a defeat are a sign that his time at the club, is finally coming to an end. :)

Armando
20/02/2006, 10:30 PM
What do you expect him to say? He NEVER, NEVER, NEVER says the other team were superior to his in any match, regardless of whatever happened. There is ALWAYS a whinge about his opponents when he loses. Despite being comprehensively outplayed in the game, he still claimed that we deserved to lose at OT recently. :confused:

To me, he is a footballing tyrant. His word is law. He no longer conducts press conferences except in Europe. If the media criticises him, he will single out the individual(s) responsible, and refuse to talk to them, forever. He fires boots around his dressing room, and gives players so-called "hairdryer" treatments, should they ever have the temerity to be losing at half-time. If his players say anything risqué against him, they're gone. Beckham, Stam, Keane, etc, etc.

Bill Shankley, and Bob Paisley ran successful sides for years, without needing to use an iron fist, as their players always respected them. As Graeme Souness will probably agree, old style football discipline just doesn't work anymore. Nowadays, Fergie's players either don't listen to him or don't care...or both!! His latest milkwatery excuses of defending a defeat are a sign that his time at the club, is finally coming to an end. :)

I watch his press conferences every Friday on Sky Sports News before every weekend game. They are always great veiwing with a lot of banter and forthright views. They are usually about 15 minutes long too.

I know he doesn't do interviews for the BBC. Is that what you're talking about?

ColinR
21/02/2006, 8:23 AM
Nowadays, Fergie's players either don't listen to him or don't care...or both!!

now, i disagree with a lot of fergie's decisions of late, and his comments post match on saturday (and most of his comments when united lose - just like benitez's winge after chelsea ;) -
but if you seriously believe the above comment - how come the team are clear in second in the premiership if the players "listen to him or don't care...or both!! " - how bad must the teams be in third and fourth etc., if they are behind a team that doesn't care or listen to their manager!

Lim till i die
21/02/2006, 11:15 AM
I see you've left your disgracefully tasteless remarks about Smith on 2 threads now. Has he wronged you personally or something? I have to question the character of someone who is glad at someones horrific misfortune just because they don't like the way he conducts himself on a footbal pitch, which by the way I've never had a problem with. You're trying to brand him as some sort of criminal.

I rarely resort to name calling but as someone has already pointed out on the other thread you are indeed a moron.

Question my character? Fair enough but why not have a gander back over my post and see where exactly it says I'm glad he was injured? :rolleyes: Couldn't care less about the poor innocent soul and his carreer tbh with you.

Trying to brand him as some sort of criminal :rolleyes:

As for being a moron for expressing a different opinion, once again I'll have to bring out the trusty old :rolleyes:

As for the game itself, really looked as if Alex is losing the plot. United were completely overwhelmed in the middle of the park and Richardson and Fletcher were never going to be strong enough against Hamann and Sissoko. IMO Ferguson should have (shock, horror) started with Smith because due to his undoubted, ahem mustn't upset anyone, "rough" nature he might have added a bit of bite and a competitive edge they were lacking

beautifulrock
21/02/2006, 11:21 AM
The 15minute interview referred to here is indeed broadcast on Sky(in parts) but is lifted from MUTV.

Hulsey
21/02/2006, 2:15 PM
So according to some he deserves his potentially career threatening injury because at times he looks like he was trying to injure someone but never has.
Get a life.
Didn't say at any point he deserved his injury, just stated that he has made tackles (which looked intentional) which could have damaged others. If you can show me where I indicated that he deserved the injury I'll give a full apology to you, since you seem to be so offended:rolleyes: .

colster
21/02/2006, 2:30 PM
Didn't say at any point he deserved his injury, just stated that he has made tackles (which looked intentional) which could have damaged others. If you can show me where I indicated that he deserved the injury I'll give a full apology to you, since you seem to be so offended:rolleyes: .

I accept that you didn't.
The thing is that if a player wanted to injure another player they could easily do it as Roy Keane proved with Haaland.
Smith is aggressive in the tackle but I don't think he's ever deliberately tried to injure someone.
Smith may be deemed a tough tackler now but 20 years ago it was the norm. Soccer is a contact sport. Every time you go to ground in a 50-50 tackle then there is the danger that some one will get hurt but that does not mean that a player who goes into a 50-50 challenge is intentionally trying to injure the other player.

Hulsey
21/02/2006, 2:36 PM
I accept that you didn't.
The thing is that if a player wanted to injure another player they could easily do it as Roy Keane proved with Haaland.
Smith is aggressive in the tackle but I don't think he's ever deliberately tried to injure someone.
Smith may be deemed a tough tackler now but 20 years ago it was the norm. Soccer is a contact sport. Every time you go to ground in a 50-50 tackle then there is the danger that some one will get hurt but that does not mean that a player who goes into a 50-50 challenge is intentionally trying to injure the other player.
I know this sounds very contradictary (very dodgy spelling) but I think it should be reverted to the contact sport shown in the early 90's (i.e no absolutely mad 70's & 80's style tackles but still competative, no diving pr!cks etc.). There's just something about Smith when he makes a "strong" challange though, his eyes seem to go all evil murderer like.

KK77
21/02/2006, 2:54 PM
now, i disagree with a lot of fergie's decisions of late, and his comments post match on saturday (and most of his comments when united lose - just like benitez's winge after chelsea ;) -
but if you seriously believe the above comment - how come the team are clear in second in the premiership if the players "listen to him or don't care...or both!! " - how bad must the teams be in third and fourth etc., if they are behind a team that doesn't care or listen to their manager!

In fairness since 2003 no Man U fan can honestly say the team have not gone down they have wereas Liverpool have gone forward since 2003.

ColinR
21/02/2006, 3:08 PM
In fairness since 2003 no Man U fan can honestly say the team have not gone down they have wereas Liverpool have gone forward since 2003.

totally agree with you, but it's just the ott stupid comments about fergie no longer being listen to etc., which i always seem to bite on ;)

as i said before, both teams (i reckon) are about on a par at present - and the results between them seem to bear this out.

i think liverpool will continue to improve over the next few years (unless gerrard gets tempted by more money again), and will probably challenge chelsea closer as well. united wont challenge until the midfield has been totally changed :(

Hither green
21/02/2006, 4:17 PM
FA fines Neville for celebrations

In fairness they didn't fine him much but it's the thought that counts. I don't know what others think, passion's an important part of the game but in some of the more heated derby matches it seems inflammatory (the Liverpool derby, the Manchester derby, the Glasgow derby, Liverpool vs United, United vs Leeds etc).

According to Neville "Being a robot, devoid of passion and spirit, is obviously the way forward for the modern- day footballer." I thought that was in the current United job description anyway :D

Gaillimh Al
21/02/2006, 5:02 PM
Can somebody please help me? I am at my wits end. Why is Darren Fletcher playing in midfield against a very physically strong Liverpool. In fact, why is he involved at all? He contributes nothing (bar his goal v Chelsea) and shows no signs of improving. What does Ferguson see in him?????:confused:

ken foree
21/02/2006, 5:07 PM
Can somebody please help me? I am at my wits end. Why is Darren Fletcher playing in midfield against a very physically strong Liverpool. In fact, why is he involved at all? He contributes nothing (bar his goal v Chelsea) and shows no signs of improving. What does Ferguson see in him?????:confused:

his scottishness, i presume. i don't know how he gets in ahead of park

JoeSemi
21/02/2006, 6:17 PM

I can see the club security staff glued to their monitors for hours on end trying to pinpoint the culprits through lip-reading the 39,000 or so Liverpool fans in attendance!:rolleyes:

Just to say what a pleasure it was to see the faces on the United fans at the end and their desperate attempts to rush for the exits in the hope of setting upon a few Scousers. It was nearly as good as Ferguson's attempt to deflect attention away from his p!ss poor team by saying Liverpool only played for 5mins. What a team Liverpool would be if they played for the other 85mins aswell, eh?!:D

feo123
21/02/2006, 9:40 PM
Right lads....lots of comments about Fergies Team Selection, what choice had he?? who would ye have played?
As for Alan Smith, he has been brilliant for us since he has come! His commitment has been 100%! he has turned into being my favourite player over the last year(especially since keano left)....people say that players are too soft nowadays and they should get tougher and as soon as a tough player such as Smudger comes along yere dissin him aswell! make yere minds up...do ye want pansies or hard men in the beautiful game? and sayin he is a ''toe-rag'' is just plain stupid! he has got something like 6 cards in a year and a half!

feo123
21/02/2006, 9:44 PM
(Gerrard broke his foot there last season ... I can't recall too many United fans applauding him as he hobbled off)
Gerrard didnt hobble off...he walked off! no-one knew it was a broken foot till about a day after! it looked like just any old injury thats happens to a few players in every match:rolleyes:

Aldini98
22/02/2006, 8:26 AM
Who cares really? Man U are out, happy days !!!!!

As for Alan Smith, hes a striker, not a midfielder Fergie, you just keep picking him there and you'll win nothing, keep it up Rudolph !!!! Roll on Wigan !!!!

Roo69
22/02/2006, 11:13 AM

Well all i can say is thank fcuk he choose to play for Scotland over Ireland !

Stuttgart88
22/02/2006, 11:43 AM
Did anyone notice Lawrenson's comment during the game, when Rooney took a knock?

Fascist Anglo-Saxon-supremacist John Motson commented "ooh, you get nervous every time Rooney takes a knock, with the World Cup approaching". Lawrenson's response was "speak for yourself John".

Classic. Only the second time I heard ML openly refer to himself being Irish on BBC TV.

mypost
22/02/2006, 12:30 PM
Did anyone notice Lawrenson's comment during the game, when Rooney took a knock?

Yes

Fascist Anglo-Saxon-supremacist John Motson.......

:confused:

Stuttgart88
22/02/2006, 12:45 PM
Motson persistently betrays his xenophobia in his commentries & constantly fails to acknowledge the booing of other countries' anthems by English fans, and worse behaviour whereas Barry Davies was far more balanced. In my opinion anyway. I'm very sensitive to malign forms of English nationalism & Motson in my opinion betrays his true feelings, disguised by a docile exterior, far too frequently for me. Total over reaction on my part I'm sure, but there you go.

Emmet
22/02/2006, 10:44 PM
Gerrard didnt hobble off...he walked off! no-one knew it was a broken foot till about a day after! it looked like just any old injury thats happens to a few players in every match:rolleyes:

So ... What's your point ?? It's okay for supporters to jeer an injured player if he walks / hobbles off the pitch but it isn't if he is carried off? :rolleyes:

mypost
23/02/2006, 3:19 AM
Total over reaction on my part I'm sure.

Yes it is. He is English, after all. :rolleyes:

Stuttgart88
23/02/2006, 7:19 AM
Yes it is. He is English, after all. :rolleyes:Missing the point entirely.

ColinR
23/02/2006, 8:09 AM
smith's ambulance was attacked when he was taken from the ground :mad:

http://www.football365.com/news/story_178041.shtml

feo123
23/02/2006, 7:01 PM
F****G knackers! they should be f****g shot!!

CollegeTillIDie
25/02/2006, 5:46 PM

as should anyone who bricks Fire Engines and Ambulances in England, Ireland or anywhere else for that matter!

Poor Student
26/02/2006, 3:10 PM

Feo, relax yourself.

feo123
26/02/2006, 5:48 PM
Feo, relax yourself.
No! thugs like this should never be let near a football stadium, or in public!:mad: