PDA

View Full Version : St.John's 1-5 Sligo Rovers

Pages : [1] 2

sligoman
18/02/2006, 5:12 PM
Bellew scored two, Curran scored a good one and McCartney too, not sure who got the final touch on the other one. Chris Turner came on at the start of half time and got sent off about 25mins later:D. Conor O'Grady got booked aswell, he really needs to calm his temper down a bit. Sean Flannery came off injured(he doesn't look anyway near full fitness yet). Keith Foy does need to lose weight but he didn't seem as bad as I was expecting, strong tackler and good at long range shots, aswell as free-kicks.

I wasn't happy with our overall performance to be honest. I know we hadn't our full team out but we will need to improve on this for the Galway and Harps friendlies and, more importantly, for the Longford game:o.

The Stars
18/02/2006, 5:45 PM
what was the full team sligoman?

sligoman
18/02/2006, 5:52 PM
what was the full team sligoman?These all played at some point in the game:

O'Hara, McNamara, Peers, McCartney, Flannery, Bellew, Faz, Creane, O'Grady, Raf, Foy, Curran, Sean Kelly, James Keaney & Chris Turner. I'm missing a few, some of which I don't know who they were, trialists or underage players I presume.

Hutch was playing for them:D.

EDIT: Brian McMorrow was playing with St.John's. Does this mean that he's left Rovers under 21's? Or can he play with both:confused:. He's a player with great potential and I wouldn't like to see him leave.

The Stars
18/02/2006, 6:41 PM
James Keaney? what the fcuk was he doing there.Are you sure it was him...hes like 17.

sligoman
18/02/2006, 6:44 PM
James Keaney? what the fcuk was he doing there.Are you sure it was him...hes like 17.Yes, definitely him. I know him from my old school, no mistake. He only played about 10 mins maximum. Didn't do much and didn't look very impressive.

The Stars
18/02/2006, 6:47 PM
thats a p!ss take....he is sh!t
Anyway,he plays for St.Pats

sligoman
18/02/2006, 6:52 PM
thats a p!ss take....he is sh!t
Anyway,he plays for St.PatsHe's with our u-18's as far as I know, or he used to be anyway. He also has an Ireland u-15's(I think?) cap. I agree though, he is sh!te. Might improve in time though.

The Stars
18/02/2006, 6:54 PM
he was with the youth team a few years ago but has been playing for StPats youths this season. "improve with time"?what is he,a chedder cheese?

sligoman
18/02/2006, 6:56 PM
"improve with time"?what is he,a chedder cheese?More like a fine wine maybe?:p.

gustavo
18/02/2006, 7:05 PM
wasnt overly impressed really turners a bit of a hothead alright we took our goals well though

The Stars
18/02/2006, 7:37 PM
will bellews recent performances and goals earn him a squad place for the first league game.

sligoman
18/02/2006, 7:41 PM
will bellews recent performances and goals earn him a squad place for the first league game.On the bench, yes. I don't think he's good enough to be put in the starting line-up just yet.

The Stars
18/02/2006, 7:44 PM
no not yet,but he should be in the squad....would be a ggod man to bring on if we are winning and Flannerys work rate drops.Also He's a goal machine.

sligoman
18/02/2006, 7:49 PM
no not yet,but he should be in the squad....would be a ggod man to bring on if we are winning and Flannerys work rate drops.Also He's a goal machine.I was impressed with Gary Curran today. He took his goal very well and worked well all game. I think he'll make a big break-through this season, definitely one to watch:).

The Stars
18/02/2006, 8:26 PM
ya,Curran Bellew and Seanie Kelly should be included in a few matches this season.

Red&White Rover
18/02/2006, 8:31 PM
Curran scored a great goal...i think bellew is going to score a few from the bench for us this season

Redzer
18/02/2006, 8:36 PM
. Chris Turner came on at the start of half time and got sent off about 25mins later.
Thats bad news, cards in friendlies carry on into the league this season:mad:

Red&White Rover
18/02/2006, 8:50 PM
well he's banned for the longford match anyway

Red4Eva
18/02/2006, 9:12 PM
such a g*mp deering is. made o'grady change his socks b4 da game&when turner was sent off he wouldn't let him sit on da bench. foy's lost a good bitta weight since st.catherine's game&played far better too, although he'll still be overweight by start of season i think he'll be alright too play. thankfully o'grady had to go back to work at half time or he wuda killed deering, unbelievable that he can motivate himself like dat on his lunch hour. gary curran played good alrite, defo deserved his goal for the gifted bit of play before it. turner seems like a f*ckin looper. surprised there wasn't more at the game

Red&White Rover
18/02/2006, 9:21 PM
deering complained about the nets as well! set the ball would go right underneath it...well 6 goals went in and stayed in the net

Redzer
19/02/2006, 12:53 PM
deering
That boll*X. Now it makes since. Probably pre-arranged to send someone off :mad:

Red4Eva
19/02/2006, 11:15 PM
any1 know who the guy in the england jacket was? he was wearin birmingham gloves so he's prob one of their coaches r sumthin

The Stars
20/02/2006, 10:43 AM
ya they had a coach over from bimingham

marktis
20/02/2006, 2:20 PM
What was the story with the game? Was it bad tempered in any way or was it deering doing his usual job of spoiling a good game?

gustavo
20/02/2006, 2:52 PM
i didnt think it was bad tempered really just turner was totally fired up and done 3 or 4 bad tackles.

feo123
20/02/2006, 9:22 PM
wat was the St. Johns team? Couldnt go...i was in da Nou Camp at Barca V Betis!!

Red&White Rover
21/02/2006, 5:05 PM
if you check the other forum bitoredxp i have most of it posted up..i'm too lazy to make a link

gustavo
21/02/2006, 5:14 PM
its all in the weekender

feo123
21/02/2006, 9:21 PM
Dont want to make it a big issue again, but i have to say it.....Foy is too fat to play in the premier! he was twice the size of any player in the photo......

redrov2005
21/02/2006, 10:07 PM
Weekender report

Rovers enjoy a useful workout in Cuilbeg
By: Keith O’Dwyer, Cuilbeg

Pre-season Friendly
Sligo Rovers 5, St John’s XI 1

SLIGO Rovers played their first pre-season friendly in Sligo last Saturday as they made the short trip to Carraroe to take on local club, St John’s, in Cuilbeg.
The fixture was to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the founding of St John’s Football Club and Rovers fielded a strong side, which included new signings Keith Foy and Gavin Peers in their starting line-up.
The St John’s side was comprised of a number of former and current club players along with a selection of guests. They were no match for last season’s eircom League First Division champions, who blitzed their opponents 5-1.
Rovers started fast and took the lead after three minutes when Gary Curran swung in a corner from the left that was headed home by former St John’s player Michael McNamara.
Niall Walsh then twice went close for St John’s as first he had a shot from 20 yards saved by Rovers goalkeeper John O’Hara and then he shot low into the side-netting from the left side of the box after being set up by Gavin O’Dwyer.
It was Rovers who scored again in the 23rd minute when Curran made a break from midfield but found his route to goal blocked so he laid the ball for Sean Flannery, whose shot was deflected back to Curran and he scored with a deflected side-foot shot.
St John’s cut the deficit on the half-hour mark as Johnny Davey was brought down 20 yards from goal. While the Rovers players argued about the decision, Fearghal O’Hara showed some alert thinking as he took the free-kick quickly, catching O’Hara by surprise.
St John’s then had a good little spell of pressure that was broken in the 37th minute when Rovers scored their third as Foy put in a corner from the right and John Bellew scored with a well-taken header from the edge of the six-yards box.
Two minutes later Rovers scored their fourth as Jason McCartney’s shot from the left side of the box took a wicked deflection off Mark Hutchinson, taking it past the St John’s goalkeeper, Brian McCaffrey.
The second-half was marred by a flurry of substitutions from both sides with Rovers giving a run to Jamie McKenzie, Chris Turner and trialist Richard Bush.
St John’s nearly pulled a goal back in the 48th minute as Walsh picked up the ball inside the box and went to pull it back for Fearghal O’Hara, whose shot was blocked into the path of Gavin O’Dwyer and his toe-poke effort was cleared off the line by Foy.
Rovers were reduced to 10 players in the 73rd minute as Turner picked up his second yellow card in the space of five minutes – both for needless challenges.
Rovers wrapped up the scoring in the game as they scored their fifth in the 85th minute. Rafael Cretaro ran down the right before playing the ball low across the face of goal where it was turned into the net by Bellew.

St John’s: Brian McCaffrey, Gary Melly (Colin Harte 65), Shane McManus (Ian Colburn 71), Mark Hutchinson, Fearghus Roche (David Rooney 59), Brian McMorrow (Shane Stenson 59), Brian Kinsella, Fearghal O’Hara (Keith O’Dwyer 80), Gavin O’Dwyer (Paul McDaid 65), Johnny Davey (Gavin McGuinn 80), Niall Walsh
Sligo Rovers: John O’Hara, Rafael Cretaro, Keith Foy (Sean Kelly 65), Conor O’Grady (Chris Turner 45), Michael McNamara (Richard Bush 84), Gary Curran (James Keaney 65), Gavin Peers (Jamie McKenzie 45), Mikey Creane, Sean Flannery (Fahrudin Kudozovic 33), John Bellew, Jason McCartney (Colin Gaule 45)
Referee: Paul Deering (Sligo)

redrov2005
21/02/2006, 10:11 PM
Noticeable that Paul McTiernan and Liam Burns didn't figure. I presume there is a good reason for that. Like others i think we may struggle up front. I'm a fan of Sean Flannery but i don't think he's fast enough for the Premier.

feo123
23/02/2006, 6:56 PM
didnt Mc T get some sort of a knock against Newry i think! Burns probably didnt bother comin over for a friendly against basically an U-18 side...or is he livin here now??

Red&White Rover
23/02/2006, 7:06 PM
it was not basically an under 18 side feo...hutchison,mcmorrow,mccaffrey,o'dwyer(keith!) ,mcguinn,mcmanus,melly,o' hara,davey,roche,walsh are not u-18

feo123
23/02/2006, 7:14 PM
I though Melly was! Rooney, Stenson, Kinsella, McDaid G. O'Dwyer, colburn all are! maybe its a bit older than i thought..

Red&White Rover
23/02/2006, 7:19 PM
12 over 18's to 6 under

feo123
23/02/2006, 7:25 PM
yeah, sorry bout that

Red&White Rover
23/02/2006, 7:27 PM
nothing to be sorry bout...just make sure your facts are right

Magicme
23/02/2006, 8:23 PM
And leave Foy alone u bully Feo :mad:

SligoBrewer
23/02/2006, 8:44 PM
he is ..let me put it this way.. spacially challenged

feo123
23/02/2006, 9:43 PM
spacially challenged
I love it!:D

Redtop
25/02/2006, 12:53 AM
more like clinically obese

Magicme
25/02/2006, 2:39 AM
Hope those of u who havent bothered to go to any of the other friendlies will see what a quality player Foy is tomorro and finally get off his case.

feo123
25/02/2006, 12:22 PM
why do you love him so much?

Red Soldier
25/02/2006, 12:36 PM
is it possible that magicme could be Keith Foys alter ego,thatd be classic if he was comin on the forum talkin himself up(not that he needs to he seems to be highly rated by many)

feo123
25/02/2006, 12:56 PM
probably is him!!

sligoman
25/02/2006, 12:59 PM
Sorry to disappoint ye lads, but no, it's not him!

feo123
25/02/2006, 1:07 PM
ah well.....

Redtop
25/02/2006, 7:29 PM
Hope those of u who havent bothered to go to any of the other friendlies will see what a quality player Foy is tomorro and finally get off his case.
i seen him playing and his delievry is quality and hes got plenty of football in him..but lets face it people like roy o donovon will absolutly destroy him

SligoBrewer
25/02/2006, 9:30 PM
so magicme isn't foywonder!

hu is it?!

sligoman
26/02/2006, 12:26 AM
so magicme isn't foywonder!

hu is it?!That's like saying so you're not Paul McTiernan, who are ya?:rolleyes: