17/02/2006, 2:39 PM
Ireland 2 Portugal1

Risteard
17/02/2006, 2:42 PM
One Don Givens.
There's only one Don Givens.

hamish
17/02/2006, 2:42 PM
Fantastic news. Portugal are so strong at under age footie - what a great result.:)

Risteard
17/02/2006, 2:45 PM
Can't find anything on it.
Goalscorers????

Block G Raptor
17/02/2006, 2:46 PM
Great Stuff
Any news on scorers

thegit
17/02/2006, 2:48 PM
i just got a txt from one of the players he didn't say who scored.

hamish
17/02/2006, 2:48 PM
Great Stuff
Any news on scorers

Here ya go BGR

http://www.irishfootballonline.com/news_story.php?newsid=4120

Risteard
17/02/2006, 2:50 PM
http://www.a2zsoccer.com/news/content_generic.cfm?file=2103420
ta-da

NY Hoop
17/02/2006, 2:52 PM
Absolutely delighted. And 2 EL players score again too. Givens wins this trophy for second year running with half the squad domestic players.

Wonder what the anti Givens brigade will think now?

KOH

Block G Raptor
17/02/2006, 2:52 PM
Cheers Your Hamishness

WAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDDYYYYYYY WAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDYYYY

hamish
17/02/2006, 2:55 PM
Cheers Your Hamishness

WAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDDYYYYYYY WAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDYYYY

My pleasure amigo - coming to Beeslow for the Galway game this evening??:confused:

I've the directions and pictures posted in the Bohemians threads.:cool:

Pablo
17/02/2006, 2:57 PM
Absolutely delighted. And 2 EL players score again too. Givens wins this trophy for second year running with half the squad domestic players.

Wonder what the anti Givens brigade will think now?

KOH

do people actually think that was Portugals premier U21 team?

Finland? Madeira?
who?

Block G Raptor
17/02/2006, 2:58 PM
My pleasure amigo - coming to Beeslow for the Galway game this evening??:confused:

I've the directions and pictures posted in the Bohemians threads.:cool:

Excellent. Is there a train station in beeslow coz I'm in work till 5 and Id never make it down on the bus

hamish
17/02/2006, 3:05 PM
Excellent. Is there a train station in beeslow coz I'm in work till 5 and Id never make it down on the bus

Pop over to the other thread - Bohs game changed to - and I've news for you there but you'd want to get the 4.50pm because the next one will mean you miss the first 26 mins of the game at least.:(

NY Hoop
17/02/2006, 3:14 PM
do people actually think that was Portugals premier U21 team?

Finland? Madeira?
who?

Who cares? The trophy wont say "The winners only beat a Portugese and Finnish side":rolleyes:

KOH

Pablo
17/02/2006, 3:42 PM
Who cares? The trophy wont say "The winners only beat a Portugese and Finnish side":rolleyes:

KOH

well i'd prefer to beat Azerbaijan.

joema
17/02/2006, 3:43 PM
Ireland's U21 team score spectacular success in Madeira Cup

Portugal 1 - 2 Republic of Ireland
Veloso 89 Stephen Grant 3
Stephen Ward 43
The Republic of Ireland U21 team scored a spectacular win over Portugal today to win the Madeira Cup tournament for the second time in three years.

Two goals in the first half highlighted an outstanding performance by Ireland as they surprised the tournament favourites with the drive, energy and effectiveness of their football.

Both teams went into their third and final game level on four points after beating Finland and drawing with Madeira.

Portugal had suggested they were the form team after the mnanner of their win over Finland in their first match but Ireland had developed a well-organised and balanced system of play under manager Don Givens over the week.

They shocked Portugal with a goal within three minutes of kick-off through Waterford United's Stephen Grant and never surrendered the initiative.

Their goal came when Stephen Ward (Bohemians) sent the ball out wide to Grant and the Blues' midfielder - playing wide on the right - cut inside and drove the ball through the keeper's legs.

Grant came close again on 38 minutes before Ward made it 2-0 two minutes before half-time. Anthony Stokes (Arsenal) played the ball behind the last defender for the Bohemians' forward to run onto. He steadied himself and found the bottom left-hand corner with his left foot.

It was Ward's second goal of the week and he finished as top scorer in the tournament. His distinction was well deserved after a series of exciting performances.

This second goal was a huge lift for the Irish who visibly grew in confidence. They came out of the tournament with huge credit in view of the large number of English-based players who were withdrawn by their clubs because of injury or club commitments.

Overall a total of six eircom League players contributed on the day to illustrate the number of promising young players pushing for international recognition.

Portugal pushed on after the break but failed to create any chances of note, while Stokes nearly scored from inside his own half with one audacious attempt when he noticed the Portugese goalkeeper off his line.

A Miguel Veloso free-kick from 20 yards reduced the deficit after 89 minutes and set up a nervy finale but Ireland held strong.

Michael Timlin got the armband back from Gary Dicker after he had missed the Finland game through suspension and he proudly held the trophy aloft as the delighted Irish squad celebrated joyously.

Don Givens' Irish based players will return tomorrow, Saturday 18th Feb, from Gatwick on FR117, due to arrive in at 1845.

Team: Darren Quigley (UCD), Keith Keane (Luton Town), Richard Keogh (Bristol City), Darren O'Dea (Celtic), James Hand (Huddersfield Town), Stephen Grant (Waterford United), Gary Dicker (UCD), Michael Timlin (Fulham), Alan O'Brien (Newcastle United), Anthony Stokes (Arsenal), Stephen Ward (Bohemians)

Subs Used: Christopher Deans (Waterford United) for Grant - 84, Roy O'Donovan (Cork City) for O'Brien - 90.

Manager: Don Givens.

©2005 Football Association of Ireland

joema
17/02/2006, 3:48 PM
Great result
Im not a fan of Givens at all mainly because of his appaling managerial record but hopefully things will get better now. Here is proof of what can be achieved with home grown talent
Couldnt care how good the Portugese team was - as NY Hoop says - its not going to say that on the trophy

pete
17/02/2006, 6:30 PM
Givens job safe for another 2 years :(

ccfcgirl
17/02/2006, 7:35 PM
Im delighted for the under 21 players ......Great to hear Stephan Grant scored.......

Mayo Red
17/02/2006, 11:34 PM
Fair play to the U-21s and especially to the contribution of the EL lads!:)