PDA

View Full Version : Quintongo

jorge
16/02/2006, 7:59 PM
Angolan Given World Cup Lifeline
Partick Thistle are poised to offer Angolan winger Jose Quitongo a World Cup lifeline.
The 31-year-old recently bought out his contract with Alloa Athletic and could make his debut for their Division Two rivals as a trialist on Saturday.

Thistle boss Dick Campbell said: "For some reason, he thinks he can still make it into the World Cup squad.

"But he will have to get into the Partick Thistle team first."

Quitongo began his career with Benfica before moving to Darlington , Hamilton Academical, for whom he signed three times, Hearts, St Mirren and Kilmarnock.

He left Alloa last month after Allan Maitland succeeded the sacked Tom Hendry as manager.

Now he is searching for a platform from which he can realise his dream of playing in the World Cup finals.

Campbell 's side knocked Scottish Premier League side Inverness Caledonian Thistle out of the cup on Wednesday.

And the Glasgow outfit sit third in Division Two, with a realistic chance of making the promotion play-offs.

Quitongo is, however, cup-tied with Alloa and could play no part in the quarter-final away to former club Hearts.

I think he could do a job for an premier team,even a top 4 team.

anto eile
16/02/2006, 8:07 PM
didnt he play for waterford?

sullanefc
16/02/2006, 8:08 PM

yup..

Dick Long
16/02/2006, 11:25 PM
twice! he played with the blues for a season in 1994 before he ever went to scotland.

adamcarr
16/02/2006, 11:38 PM
And he was terrible.

bigmac
17/02/2006, 9:32 AM
And he was terrible.

He was ahead of his time - would have been great with summer soccer but couldn't play in the mud at all.

Roverstillidie
17/02/2006, 9:48 AM
so how was he more successful in scotland?

bigmac
17/02/2006, 10:47 AM
so how was he more successful in scotland?

better pitches than the RSC

HarpoJoyce
17/02/2006, 7:47 PM
Angola team may be disappointed at missing out on a quarter-final spot (goal difference) at ACN 2006. And of course there is always room for improvement ( Angola arn't very good).

But the attack wasn't their main problem,

Cameroon v.
http://cafonline.com/left_index.php?head=3_CAMEROON_ANGOLA&loc=acn_reports/3_CAMEROON_ANGOLA.htm

v. RDC
http://cafonline.com/left_index.php?head=11_ANGOLA_RDCONGO&loc=acn_reports/11_ANGOLA_RDCONGO.htm

v. Togo
http://cafonline.com/left_index.php?head=19_ANGOLA_TOGO&loc=acn_reports/19_ANGOLA_TOGO.htm

The defence let in two soft goals against Togo, there was alot of long-ball into space from both sides. Angolan strikers (Flavio in paticular) benefitted more from this approach.

Also, there a knot of Al Ahly supporters in the Cairo Stadium ( re the name: didn't see any other signage but Cairo Stadium) cheering on Angola 'cos one of there stars Gilberto http://www.fifa.com/en/comp/CWC2005Squad/0,3343,CWC-2005-1-9906-ALA,00.html was out injured and didn't play in the tournament.

Also, I have to repeat. When Jose Quitonga played for Waterford Utd. the first time, I saw him scored two against St. James's Gate. He was described to me as Portugeuse, by a Waterford Utd. official. At the same time Waterford had "another" Portugeuse. A right-back, Domingues (relative played in England).
Is this another "Football Lie"?

Dyl10
17/02/2006, 7:57 PM
He was ahead of his time - would have been great with summer soccer but couldn't play in the mud at all.

he played summer soccer the season before last with WUFC

Dick Long
17/02/2006, 9:25 PM
HarpoJoyce, you've a good memory to remember back to that goal against St James's Gate, was it an overhead kick or something like that, possibly in the League Cup. Anyway he came to Waterford United from Portugal with the aforementioned Vitor Dominguez, who was a first cousin of Jose Dominguez who was playing with Birmingham City at the time and later moved to Spurs for a reasonable transfer fee. I think the story with Quitongo was that he moved to Portugal and Benfica on a football scholarship-type thing at a very young age from the former Portuguese colony of Angola and I think he became a Portuguese citizen. Apparently he declined the chance to represent Angola umpteen times but it would seem that now they've gained a bit of prominence he's willing to have a rethink.

HarpoJoyce
18/02/2006, 6:51 PM
HarpoJoyce, you've a good memory to remember back to that goal against St James's Gate, was it an overhead kick or something like that, possibly in the League Cup. Anyway he came to Waterford United from Portugal with the aforementioned Vitor Dominguez, who was a first cousin of Jose Dominguez who was playing with Birmingham City at the time and later moved to Spurs for a reasonable transfer fee. I think the story with Quitongo was that he moved to Portugal and Benfica on a football scholarship-type thing at a very young age from the former Portuguese colony of Angola and I think he became a Portuguese citizen. Apparently he declined the chance to represent Angola umpteen times but it would seem that now they've gained a bit of prominence he's willing to have a rethink.

Your post deserves to be printed twice.

(Foreign players who look like Jose Quitongo are easier to remember then players who maybe have a common name, play for a couple of Dublin teams, move to Cork and presently end-up with the Championship leaders somewhere near London)

I do remember him out-jumping the St. James's Gate 'keeper with a header, on the six-yard line, he was so busy in that match I can't remember if he scored on that occasion or not.

I have alot of time for dimunitive strikers who out-jump taller opposition players. I'm thinking more Jason Sherlock (UCD) than Derek Swan (UCD).

After Edit:
It should have been a First Division league game ( maybe Bórd Gais). Early nineties season when Waterford were there.
Christ, I wouldn't have gone to a League Cup St. James's Gate v. Waterford Utd. match, would I?

teckno
19/02/2006, 12:47 AM
The legend of Jose Quitongo Tra la la lala

Jose indeed started our cup final with Longford Town. Was ok during his second spell with us but really it would be unreal to see him in the world cup things lookin up for the Blues

2 International players at Under 21 level ( Stevie Grant, Chris Deans,)

One ex player at the World Cup (Jose Tra la la lala)

Whats next Noel Hunt to win the champions league with Dunfermline!!!

CollegeTillIDie
19/02/2006, 3:35 PM
[QUOTE=teckno
Whats next Noel Hunt to win the champions league with Dunfermline!!![/QUOTE]

In the immortal words of Bob Geldof in one of the last Boomtown Rats singles
" No, Never In a Million Years!":D