PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone "collect" stuff from a band?

ThatGuy
16/02/2006, 1:37 PM
I'm not talking about just buying all their albums or stuff you can by in HMV, and I'm not talking about the extremes like buying locks of hair etc!

Does anyone collect stuff from a band they like such as promos, radio sessions, demos, alternative recordings and bootleged gigs etc? What is your favourite piece of your collection?

I collect that kind of stuff from The La's, The Stone Roses and Oasis. My Oasis collection is extremely small though, there is far too much stuff out there to have a proper collection (although I have a couple of real gems such as the Noise and Confusion Vinyl EP of which only 200 copies exist).

I have a massive collection of Stone Roses bootlegs and rarities etc. My favourite is my La's collection though, one of the truly great bands in my opinion and sadly only known for an album recording session that they walked out on (well, I suppose they're only known to the masses for one song!). Some of their "new" songs which would have featured on the second album are unreal, while songs like Callin All (which was going to be the title of their debut album) never were released due to royalty issues with former band members. The various studio sessions they did are remarkable too.

Funnilly enough I never got into collecting football memorabilia though!

Does anyone else have any collections of stuff?

Macy
17/02/2006, 2:08 PM
Decent collection of bootlegs, but most of them on tape. Plan to get the moved over to CD at some point. Bands would be U2, Oasis (Definitely Maybe era), and the Roses. I have a couple of early era Charlatans "official" live bootlegs (released by Harrison's label rather than beggars banquet) that are probably the rareties in the collection. I also have a lot of promo copies of CD singles and albums from the mid to late 90's brought in second hand shops (King Bee/Sifters) - nothing special at the time, no idea now. Promo's not as rare as many people think really.

Favourite bootleg song is "The Sun Still Shines" by the Roses.

Risteard
17/02/2006, 2:19 PM
My Oasis collection is extremely small though, there is far too much stuff out there to have a proper collection (although I have a couple of real gems such as the Noise and Confusion Vinyl EP of which only 200 copies exist).

What's on that Vinyl EP?
I've a plectrum autographed by Noel, Guigsys signed footy shirt (sweat and all) (won that off Sported!! magazine), signed photo from the 5 of them 'Noel O Gallachoir' and a letter Alan McGee wrote to me explaining and apologising for the whole evils of the

3 Alveston Place
Leamington
Spa,

charade and saying that the lads loved Pairc Ui Chaoimh and might look into it again for the next tour.
:D :cool:

Me likes The Sun Still Shines.
Very raw and bare, there's another one thats often found with the sun still shines, name escapes me but it was god awful.

ThatGuy
17/02/2006, 6:06 PM
I've never played it but I believe it has live versions of Columbia, Acquiesce and another couple of tracks.

Joe Strummer
17/02/2006, 8:35 PM
Bootlegs , Have a load of Joe Strummer and Levellers, Working on my New Model Army Collection at the moment.

Also have a good selection of DVD’s and VCD’s . I try to download as much as I can even if I don’t like bands as they always come in handy for trading with other people.

Here is a link to some of the Bootlegs I have http://homepage.eircom.net/~hoops/bootlegs.htm . I have not updated it in about five months as I lost track of what I was getting in.

Downloading Shane McGowan live in Poland 98 DVD at the moment.

Drumcondra Red
19/02/2006, 2:02 PM
I have a load of bootlegs, mostly on tape and a live vinal collection of bruce springsteen from 75-85

Soper
19/02/2006, 3:01 PM
I collect vinyl in general mostly from punk and hardcore punk bands, as well as some other stuff.Got a few pretty good ones, i.e. out of 100/200 etc.It's still growing though.

CollegeTillIDie
25/02/2006, 10:11 PM
Well I have been a huge fan of Gary Numan since 1979 but my favourite item is a plain white badge with a black line across it like he wore on the sleeve of Replicas the final Tubeway Army album, he released albums as a "solo" artist after that starting with "The Pleasure Principle" later on in 1979.