PDA

View Full Version : Livvy chase Derry boss Kenny

Aaron
16/02/2006, 9:59 AM
STEPHEN KENNY, the Derry City manager, is on a short-list of four to be offered the vacancy job at struggling SPL outfit Livingston.

Livi parted company with Paul Lambert on Saturday after they lost to Dunfermline and Kenny is on a short-list that includes Scotsmen Bobby Williamson and John Robertson, former managers of Plymouth Argyle and Inverness Caledonian Thistle respectively.

One man who applied for the Livingston job, Roddy Collins, is not believed to have made the short-list and Collins has also missed out on the managerial vacancy at Glentoran who have appointed Newry City boss, Paul Miller.

Livingston's Cork-born owner, Pearce Flynn, is keen to fill the position instantly as there are only 12 games left in which to avoid relegation.

"Whoever gets the job will need to have charisma and provide enough optimism to avoid going down to the First Division," said Flynn yesterday.

"I want to be able to say, 'write Livingston off at your peril.' "There will be no white flags at Livingston. Instead it's about the white smoke that signifies we have appointed a new manager."

The idea of appointing a manager is not a new concept in Livingston circles, as the next will be the sixth since Flynn took over the reins two years ago.

Having narrowly avoided the drop last season, nothing has changed this term and time obviously doesn't seem to be a commodity granted at the club.

Aaron
16/02/2006, 10:01 AM
Former Hearts and Inverness Caledonian Thistle boss John Robertson has been appointed Livingston's new manager.
The 41-year-old has signed a contract until 2008 with the Scottish Premier League club.

Livi have been looking for a new manager since Paul Lambert resigned on Saturday with Livi bottom of the table after his seven months in charge.

Robertson, who started his coaching career at Almondvale, left Ross County in October after just four months.

He departed Dingwall in protest at being asked to make major cuts in his playing budget with the First Division club.

Robertson's task will now be to prevent Livi dropping down to that same division.

The former Scotland striker, who spent four successful years at Almondvale as a player then coach under Davie Hay before moving to Inverness in 2002, was looking forward to taking charge for Saturday's trip to face Kilmarnock.

"I'm absolutely delighted that Livingston have honoured me with the chance to manage the club," he said.

"I had a fantastic period here last time under Jim Leishman and Davie Hay, but that is gone now

Aaron
16/02/2006, 10:01 AM
Thank god for that. Who would we have replaced him with?:D

Peadar
16/02/2006, 10:03 AM
Who would we have replaced him with?:D

Roddy Collins?

:D

NY Hoop
16/02/2006, 10:45 AM
Livingston's Cork-born owner, Pearce Flynn.

Why doesnt he invest in cork city ffs:rolleyes:

KOH

dcfcsteve
16/02/2006, 2:05 PM
Livingston's Cork-born owner, Pearce Flynn.

Why doesnt he invest in cork city ffs:rolleyes:

KOH

Nah - where would be the fun in that !!

Business men invest in football so they can loose money - Flynn being the classic example....

dcfcsteve
16/02/2006, 2:06 PM
Roddy Collins?

:D

Nah - we'd have snapped-up Rico..... :D

Roddy's only got eyes for one job in Ireland (well, one job at a time anyway....) and that's leading the Real Capital to First Division glory ! :D

Jerry The Saint
16/02/2006, 3:49 PM
STEPHEN KENNY, the Derry City manager, is on a short-list of four to be offered the vacancy job at struggling SPL outfit Livingston.
"Whoever gets the job will need to have charisma ...," said Flynn yesterday.

So it's clear Kenny was never in the running.:D

dcfcsteve
16/02/2006, 8:08 PM
So it's clear Kenny was never in the running.:D

Oh contraire, Jerry - he made the short-list.

It's great to still have the best manager in the land leading our team. *Breathes large contented sigh....*

sullanefc
16/02/2006, 8:11 PM
It's great to still have the best manager in the land leading our team. *Breathes large contented sigh....*

When did Rico sign for ye :eek: Seriously tho, Kenny is a good manager too. Did a great job last year :ball: Why Bohs sacked him I'll never know :confused:

TonyD
16/02/2006, 10:07 PM
One man who applied for the Livingston job, Roddy Collins, is not believed to have made the short-list and Collins has also missed out on the managerial vacancy at Glentoran who have appointed Newry City boss, Paul Miller.

Looks rather like Roddy's been sussed, doesn't it ? Nobody loves Ya When You're Down and Out. :D :D

Jerry The Saint
17/02/2006, 9:16 AM
Why Bohs sacked him I'll never know :confused:

They wanted a manager with charisma.:D

pete
17/02/2006, 12:02 PM
Rico is still the master. He never gets involved in mind games but the way he picked Stephen Kennys team (made commenst about Derry being defensive which encouraged Kenny to play attacking team) for the laeague decider last season shows how much Kenny has to learn.

Rochey
17/02/2006, 3:19 PM
Rico is still the master. He never gets involved in mind games but the way he picked Stephen Kennys team (made commenst about Derry being defensive which encouraged Kenny to play attacking team) for the laeague decider last season shows how much Kenny has to learn.

Kenny is twice the manager Rico is and has nothing to learn from him whatsoever. Derry played their best team but didnt turn up on the night it was nothing to do with Rico's comments before the game. Id rate Kenny as the best manager in the league his record has proven that Rico walked into a team that finished second last year kenny walked into a team that just avoided relegation. Bohs got rid of him so they could use him as a scapgoat for the mess that was going on at the club off the field.

Roverstillidie
17/02/2006, 3:30 PM

even a victim of a cork education can see the contradiction there. :rolleyes:

hamish
17/02/2006, 3:30 PM
Livingston are almost certs to be relegated to the badlands of Scottish footie so why would Kenny give up a club getting bigger crowds, Setanta Cups and eventual European footie??
Even if Livingston stay up somehow, their crowds are around the 3 to 4 thou mark anyway so what's the point - far better atmosphere in the Brandywell. Also, Livi have large debts so he wouldn't have much money to sign players.
Haven't Livi a new manager now in any case??:confused:

daveh
17/02/2006, 3:33 PM
kenny walked into a team that just avoided relegation.

Correct me if im wrong but didnt he get the derry job midway through that season?only a small point but Rico had no time to prepare for the new season cos he got the City job well into pre-season,Kenny had half a year and a full pre-season to work with the derry players

Rochey
17/02/2006, 4:02 PM
Correct me if im wrong but didnt he get the derry job midway through that season?only a small point but Rico had no time to prepare for the new season cos he got the City job well into pre-season,Kenny had half a year and a full pre-season to work with the derry players

Your right he did get the job midmay through the season and it proves his worth as a manager to be able to turn a team around. Its one thing to come in and successfully avoid relegation which was his objective coming into the Derry job to successfully achieving that and then challenging for the title next year. Would wonder if Rico could achieve that!!

pete
17/02/2006, 5:19 PM
even a victim of a cork education can see the contradiction there. :rolleyes:

ok... rarely gets involved in...

OneRedArmy
17/02/2006, 9:20 PM
Rico is still the master. He never gets involved in mind games but the way he picked Stephen Kennys team (made commenst about Derry being defensive which encouraged Kenny to play attacking team) for the laeague decider last season shows how much Kenny has to learn.Okay, so thats why we lost the League. Thanks Pete. Rico picked our team......surely there are laws against that?

Alternatively, we picked our strongest side, played poorly due to stage fright and Cork played better having been involved in more high pressure battles than our young side.

Slogan for 2006: "Me Fein Cork City, its ALWAYS about us....."

EireBadBoy
18/02/2006, 2:04 AM
SK turned a really, really poor team (trust me I watched them week in, week out) and made them over perform, the Derry side I watched under previous Derry managers would NEVER have achieved a two game winning spell let alone a record busting run to being within a whisker of winning the league.

Corkies can bum up Rico all they want, hell he deserves a wee bit of it, but the fact remains that SK has performed wonders with 3 teams in the EL and yet he lacks 'charisma'........

Livingstone have Wes, let them both rot in the nothingless of the SPL Div 1 - even though Scottish football is years ahead of OUR league.

You take Longford to their most succesful spell, you take Bohs and win the league, you turn around a terrible side and get runners up in the league, semis in the FAI Cup, win the league cup and still you have no charisma - I'd not be too keen on that manager meself - give me a manager that writes off Derry before the league even starts sure......

Rico is an arse, his mismanagement will come through this season.

CollegeTillIDie
18/02/2006, 7:48 AM
I might be alone in this as a non-Derry City fan. But I am pleased Kenny didn't get the Livingston Thistle job, for his own sake. Thistle are doomed he would not be able to avoid them being relegated. He would have a Division 1 campaign in Scotland to look forward to next season and it is difficult to get out of. Whereas at the Brandywell he has Europe to look forward to in 2006!

pete
18/02/2006, 12:09 PM
I know not many agree with me but i've always thought a bit of Kevin Keegan in Stephen Kenny - when under pressure at Bohs he would always give away too much in interviews.

Pressure on Kenny this season as expectations will be much greater. Bringing inexperienced team into europe will be a hard task too.

Aaron
18/02/2006, 9:56 PM
Cork fans have to remember aswell that pat dolan won the league, not rico. Already his team is falling apart and havent added anyone. Transfer window shuts soon and its looking ominous. Oh and by the way SK never listens to other managers, he concentrates on his own tam like all GOOD managers should do. Not like rico, he dosnt try wind up derry fans but with our club and us fans, managers trying to wind us up is water off a ducks back. We show them we do all our talking on the pitch

A face
20/02/2006, 11:23 PM
Cork fans have to remember aswell that pat dolan won the league, not rico. Already his team is falling apart and havent added anyone. Transfer window shuts soon and its looking ominous. Oh and by the way SK never listens to other managers, he concentrates on his own tam like all GOOD managers should do. Not like rico, he dosnt try wind up derry fans but with our club and us fans, managers trying to wind us up is water off a ducks back. We show them we do all our talking on the pitch

Yeah right !! :rolleyes: