PDA

View Full Version : Bohs game changed to Ballinasloe

Patrick Dunne
15/02/2006, 10:17 PM
Fridays friendly versus Bohemians has been changed to the Curragh Grounds, Ballinasloe (KO 7.30pm).

The game was changed to protect the pitch ahead of the Oscar Traynor game between Galway and Kildare on Sunday after
surface damage was caused during Tuesdays friendly vs Cork City.

If we have sufficient numbers, GUST will run a supporters bus to the game, departing 5.00pm sharp. Ring Ronan at (087) 6972823
before 12.30pm on Thursday if you are interested.

PD.

hamish
15/02/2006, 10:28 PM
Hope you enjoy playing under our lovely new floodlights lads.:D
Hope to get to the game too.

Will any of you and maybe Bowez fans be having a pint afterwards? How about "The Usual" bar -Bubbles (my niece and occasional Foot.ie member) will probably be working there that night.

Terry
16/02/2006, 7:08 AM
Agh for feck sake! that means I wont make any of the friendlies at all this season!

gufct
16/02/2006, 9:26 AM
Press Release

Galway United

February 15th 2006

Ballinasloe Town AFC to the rescue!!

Ballinasloe Town AFC has come to the rescue of Galway United by agreeing to host Friday night’s pre-season friendly versus Bohemians at their home ground. Following heavy rain in recent days, particularly during Tuesday night’s friendly against Cork City groundsman Noel Connolly is concerned about the condition of the Terryland surface and is anxious to preserve it for the season ahead. In addition the Galway and District League representative side play a crucial Oscar Traynor Cup game against the Kildare League on Sunday next at the venue.

Galway United sought to move the friendly game to Dublin but Ballinasloe Town AFC have come to the rescue by inviting Galway United to play the friendly game versus Bohemians at the Ballinasloe venue. Galway United is indebted to Ballinasloe Town AFC for their generous gesture.

So a treat for all soccer supporters in the East Galway Capital of Ballinasloe don’t miss:

Galway United V Bohemians on Friday night next February 17th kick-off 7.30pm

For further details contact:

Nick Leeson (087) 9142167

Stephen Lally (087) 7800418

galwaygirl
16/02/2006, 4:19 PM
can anyone give directions to the pitch please, coming from the Galway direction?

Raheen
16/02/2006, 4:56 PM
can anyone give directions to the pitch please, coming from the Galway direction?

Ya couldn't miss it. On the right hand side as you come into the town from Galway just beyond the entrance to Portiucula Hospital. It's signposted but in any case the floodlighting is a giveaway.......

hamish
16/02/2006, 8:16 PM

It's across the road from Portiuncula Hospital (hospital on your left as you come from Galway) and there's a sign saying "Ballinasloe FC" (sign also on your left) pointing towards the pitch. You can drive right in and there's paved parking there right beside the ground too.
Look out for Kellys Newsagents(on your right) - also across the road from the hospital and that shop is about 50 yards before the entrance to the ground/parking area.

Summary:
Hospital and sign on your left
Kelly's Shop and ground entrance on your right.

See youse all there amigos.

There's a covered stand too on the right hand side of the pitch and a concreted part (near the dressing rooms - on your left) as you enter the grounds to keep your feet dry if it's raining.

Will ye be having a pint after the game??
Any Bohs fans coming??
If you're driving and don't fancy a pint you're all welcome to drop into my house for a cup of tea or coffee after the game** - I live opposite Hylands Top shop (closed but visible) as you enter the town - my house has a Portumna sign just at my back gate.

**Presuming only a handful are coming - if its hundreds then I'm in trouble LMAO

galwaygirl
17/02/2006, 9:07 AM
It's across the road from Portiuncula Hospital (hospital on your left as you come from Galway) and there's a sign saying "Ballinasloe FC" (sign also on your left) pointing towards the pitch. You can drive right in and there's paved parking there right beside the ground too.
Look out for Kellys Newsagents(on your right) - also across the road from the hospital and that shop is about 50 yards before the entrance to the ground/parking area.

Summary:
Hospital and sign on your left
Kelly's Shop and ground entrance on your right.

See youse all there amigos.

There's a covered stand too on the right hand side of the pitch and a concreted part (near the dressing rooms - on your left) as you enter the grounds to keep your feet dry if it's raining.

Will ye be having a pint after the game??
Any Bohs fans coming??
If you're driving and don't fancy a pint you're all welcome to drop into my house for a cup of tea or coffee after the game** - I live opposite Hylands Top shop (closed but visible) as you enter the town - my house has a Portumna sign just at my back gate.

**Presuming only a handful are coming - if its hundreds then I'm in trouble LMAO

Thanks for the directions and fair play to you Hamish for your hospitality,
Party in Hamish's tonite everyone :D

Patrick Dunne
17/02/2006, 9:29 AM
We are travelling via Citylink (timetable on www.galwayunitedfc.ie) or by car. If you want a lift to the game, give me a call at (087) 6972823 and I will try to accomodate you.

hamish
17/02/2006, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the directions and fair play to you Hamish for your hospitality,
Party in Hamish's tonite everyone

MY pleasure kind lady but why didn't I think of this? The following is in sequence.

You've just passed my house:D by about 100 yards. This is the entrance to Garbally College - this will be on your left. You're about 3/4s of a mile from the ground.

http://www.ballinasloe.com/photos/displayimage.php?album=14&pos=23

This is the (Brackernagh) street you'll go down as you enter the town - you'll see Portiuncula on your left in a few seconds. Beeslow FC is on the right of this picture - you'll might see the floodlights on at this stage if they put the euro in the meter.:D.

http://www.ballinasloe.com/photos/displayimage.php?album=14&pos=2

Slow down here - this is the main entrance to the hospital (on your left) and you're just about to reach the traffic lights - ground entrance only a whisker away. Kellys shop is just beyond the lights to your right at this stage.
SLOW DOWN.

http://www.ballinasloe.com/photos/displayimage.php?album=14&pos=39

Portiuncula Hospital again
http://www.ballinasloe.com/photos/displayimage.php?album=14&pos=40

Another shot of the hospital - notice that smaller building? This is the doctor's residence and it's right opposite the ground entrance. As you pass the main body of the hospital this building is just beyond it. STOP AND TURN RIGHT
http://www.ballinasloe.com/photos/displayimage.php?album=5&pos=6

This is the ground - you can see the paved area at dressing rooms and entrance and stand I mentioned in above post.

http://www.ballinasloe.com/photos/displayimage.php?album=14&pos=11

This is taken (from "top" of pitch) opposite the entry to the ground and you can see Portiuncula Hospital at the top of the picture.

http://www.ballinasloe.com/photos/displayimage.php?album=14&pos=12

These look great in daylight but the Portiuncula Hospital entrance (left) is the one I'd mark out to get my bearings. Next traffic lights. Next Kellys shop (right) and then next (ground entrance on right)

If ye get lost, don't blame old Hamish:p LOL

galwaygirl
17/02/2006, 11:48 AM
MY pleasure kind lady but why didn't I think of this? The following is in sequence.

You've just passed my house:D by about 100 yards. This is the entrance to Garbally College - this will be on your left. You're about 3/4s of a mile from the ground.

http://www.ballinasloe.com/photos/displayimage.php?album=14&pos=23

This is the (Brackernagh) street you'll go down as you enter the town - you'll see Portiuncula on your left in a few seconds. Beeslow FC is on the right of this picture - you'll might see the floodlights on at this stage if they put the euro in the meter.

http://www.ballinasloe.com/photos/displayimage.php?album=14&pos=2

Slow down here - this is the main entrance to the hospital (on your left) and you're just about to reach the traffic lights - ground entrance only a whisker away. Kellys shop is just beyond the lights to your right at this stage.
SLOW DOWN.

http://www.ballinasloe.com/photos/displayimage.php?album=14&pos=39

Portiuncula Hospital again
http://www.ballinasloe.com/photos/displayimage.php?album=14&pos=40

Another shot of the hospital - notice that smaller building? This is the doctor's residence and it's right opposite the ground entrance. As you pass the main body of the hospital this building is just beyond it. STOP AND TURN RIGHT
http://www.ballinasloe.com/photos/displayimage.php?album=5&pos=6

This is the ground - you can see the paved area at dressing rooms and entrance and stand I mentioned in above post.

http://www.ballinasloe.com/photos/displayimage.php?album=14&pos=11

This is taken (from "top" of pitch) opposite the entry to the ground and you can see Portiuncula Hospital at the top of the picture.

http://www.ballinasloe.com/photos/displayimage.php?album=14&pos=12

These look great in daylight but the Portiuncula Hospital entrance (left) is the one I'd mark out to get my bearings. Next traffic lights. Next Kellys shop (right) and then next (ground entrance on right)

If ye get lost, don't blame old Hamish:p LOL
I had it figured out from your last post Hamish, but thanks again for going to the trouble of this above post. How anyone could get lost after those directions, will be beyond me :D thanks again.

hamish
17/02/2006, 12:37 PM
I had it figured out from your last post Hamish, but thanks again for going to the trouble of this above post. How anyone could get lost after those directions, will be beyond me thanks again.

Just a last bit of info GalwayGirl - just chatted with Beeslow chairman Johnny Walsh and he said that post match drinks and food has been arranged in Downeys in Society Street after game. We'll point youse in that direction after the match but if anyone is in a hurry and wants a quick cuppa my above offer still stands but I must admit I am tempted to have a few red wines in Downeys as well.
Hope atfconline doesn't see this - especially the red wine bit. LMAO:D :D

Could you pass all the above on to the other Galway amigos and is Tommy Shields coming???

Bye now

Ol' Hamish:D

atfconline
17/02/2006, 12:55 PM
I see all Hamish!

galwaygirl
17/02/2006, 12:57 PM
Could you pass all the above on to the other Galway amigos
Will do & thanks again Hamish.

is Tommy Shields coming???
I'd say Tommy will be there alrite, sure isnt he nearer to Ballinasloe than alot of the rest of us supporters planning on travelling. He mite even be a member on here already & answer you himself;)

gufct
17/02/2006, 1:09 PM
where are the locals goin after.

hamish
17/02/2006, 1:09 PM
Will do & thanks again Hamish.

No probs

I'd say Tommy will be there alrite, sure isnt he nearer to Ballinasloe than alot of the rest of us supporters planning on travelling. He mite even be a member on here already & answer you himself;)

I know he's a member but i don't know his handle. Does he still have that feckin' noisy ManYoo song on his answering machine??:D

I emailed Bohs as well and have it on the Bohs Footie thread too.

hamish
17/02/2006, 1:13 PM
where are the locals goin after.

Hi gufct - Downeys in Society Street after game - there'll be drinks and food there and if ye are still hungry - my mansion:D where more booze and tea/coffee is available.:D

You might have missed my above post above with same information:p

hamish
17/02/2006, 1:16 PM
I see all Hamish!

Don't worry Ray, I'm just warming up for the real thing in Mels in a few weeks.
I'm keen to see the new floodlights too.
Will the boss be over to check Galway out?? Last time he was here was when Beeslow played Dundee in the early 90s.
Glad you missed the red wine bit in that post;) :p :D

Conor H
17/02/2006, 1:18 PM
Hamish are many in Ballinasloe planning on going to the match?

hamish
17/02/2006, 1:26 PM
Hamish are many in Ballinasloe planning on going to the match?

TBH ConorH, I don't know. I just spoke with Johnny Walsh (C'man) about an hour ago and forgot to ask him did they put posters up. He said he was asked on Thursday so might not have had the chance.I haven't been downtown since last Friday anyway so wouldn't know if any posters were put up anyway.

Can't see a huge crowd TBH but you'd never know - if all the underage kids come and their families you might have a fair few.
At a guess, 100 to 150??????

Dammit, if I had known in enough time I'd have put a pile of posters together here and got Bubbles to put them up for me.
TBF, the game was arranged hurridly so no one's to blame. I think Galway Bay FM had/has it covered but I think it was too late for the (county edition) Connacht Tribune to have it.

See you there and will have a drink with you and the rest of the gang afterwards.:)

atfconline
17/02/2006, 1:29 PM
Had me wondering there for a minute, new floodlights?! You mean Ballinasloe obviously!

Nah Mickey won't be there, we're heading off for Bray in an hour.

I got a programme off ebay there last week from when we played Birmingham in 91/92. Think we played Dundee a few weeks earlier? A number of contributions from yourself in it, along with a very young looking Mickey as player/manager with a big mop of black hair and moustache! Forgot to give him a slagging about it yet!

hamish
17/02/2006, 1:42 PM
Had me wondering there for a minute, new floodlights?! You mean Ballinasloe obviously!

Nah Mickey won't be there, we're heading off for Bray in an hour.

I got a programme off ebay there last week from when we played Birmingham in 91/92. Think we played Dundee a few weeks earlier? A number of contributions from yourself in it, along with a very young looking Mickey as player/manager with a big mop of black hair and moustache! Forgot to give him a slagging about it yet!

Don't worry - I'll handle the slagging when I see him.

The floodlights were erected here about a year or so ago but they have actually to arrange a big game to "officially" turn them on.:confused: They've used them a lot for Ros Lge games and other encounters. A Friday or Saturday night game is deadly for junior players 'cos they won't miss work on a Saturday and can have a few pints on Saturday night after the game - as can travelling teams too.

hamish
17/02/2006, 2:41 PM
I've just got an email from Jeff Moran at Bohemians and they're bringing some supporters to the game. In fact, they left quite early for the game and are possibly arrived already or very near to Beeslow at this moment.

Block G Raptor
17/02/2006, 2:56 PM
Anyone tell me if theres A.a train down after 5pm
B.any good b&b's down there

hamish
17/02/2006, 2:59 PM
Anyone tell me if theres A.a train down after 5pm
B.any good b&b's down there

Here you go BGR Both from Heuston
There's a train at 4.50pm and another at 5 to 6 (5.55pm) but the second train doesn't get to Beeslow until 7.56pm - 26 minutes after kick off.
If you hurry and get the 4.50pm you'll get here at 25 past 6.

Let me know how you're fixed and I'll get working on the accommodation.

Block G Raptor
17/02/2006, 3:20 PM
No chance of getting outta here early I'm chained to me desk
Might get the l8r train

hamish
17/02/2006, 3:26 PM
No chance of getting outta here early I'm chained to me desk
Might get the l8r train

It's a two mile trip from the train station here to the ground so you'll miss most of the first half BGR. Forgot about that. PM me when you decide, will ya, so I can organise accommodation.

Conor H
17/02/2006, 10:10 PM
Just back from Ballinasloe.
Galway 0 - Boez 1.
Half decent crowd in fairness,nice little stadium aswell for a junior club.Fair play to all at Downey's....complementary food before and after the match...sound staff aswell.Good ol crack aswell....especially the last 10 minutes of the game.
Bring on the other small club from Connacht!:)

PS....Hamish did you hear us?

hamish
18/02/2006, 9:47 PM
ooooooooooooooooo, poor poor Hamish:o :(

sligoman
18/02/2006, 11:21 PM
ooooooooooooooooo, poor poor Hamish:o :(What's wrong with ya?:confused:.

hamish
23/02/2006, 9:43 PM
What's wrong with ya?:

Wasn't a well man when I posted that, sligoman.:o :D ;)