PDA

View Full Version : G.A.A - penalty shootouts

gustavo
15/02/2006, 7:53 PM
I was in college today and decided to go over to see us ( IT Sligo) take on UUJ , when i got there someone told me that they had played 4 periods of extra time and what transpired was a penalty shootout soccer style. During which our supporters showed an admirable lack of irony as they sang the chants "Who are ya" and "Easy" replete with distinctive English accents :rolleyes: Anyway my question is has anyone ever heard or seen a penalty shootout in Gaelic Football.

hamish
15/02/2006, 10:33 PM
I was in college today and decided to go over to see us ( IT Sligo) take on UUJ , when i got there someone told me that they had played 4 periods of extra time and what transpired was a penalty shootout soccer style. During which our supporters showed an admirable lack of irony as they sang the chants "Who are ya" and "Easy" replete with distinctive English accents :rolleyes: Anyway my question is has anyone ever heard or seen a penalty shootout in Gaelic Football.

Funny Gustavo, you brought to mind what was a big story back in the early 60s when a Dublin Gah player HEADED a goal (against Kildare I think). A fortunate camerman just happened to be right beside the goal and got a great diving header picture. The player's name was Breslin or Dessie or something like that.

Aberdonian Stu
15/02/2006, 11:04 PM
Penalty shootouts are used, if necessary, in all the All Ireland 7-a-side tournaments held by Kilmacud Crokes every year. I've also technically been involved in one in an internal tournament (I didn't take one but my team won the shootout).

CollegeTillIDie
16/02/2006, 8:32 AM
Gaelic football games should be resolved with 3 two minute rounds according to the Marquis of Queensbury rules.. and be honest about it :D

Aberdonian Stu
16/02/2006, 10:30 AM
Actually it's the Marquess of Queensbury.

Schumi
16/02/2006, 12:18 PM
I've also technically been involved in one in an internal tournament (I didn't take one but my team won the shootout).It was too far out for you was it? :D

Aberdonian Stu
16/02/2006, 1:10 PM
Very funny. I actually hit a bloody hard penalty (once while at a hurling course the rebound from one off the crossbar was so hard it knocked the goalies helmet down over his eyes).

pineapple stu
16/02/2006, 1:21 PM
I daresay that if the keeper goes the right way, he'll save it though. ;)

ollie
20/02/2006, 11:00 AM
apparently its in the rules that if the game needs to finished on the day that if after 2 periods of extra time that a penalty shoot will happen.never seen one before myself.with the sigerson weekend on this weekend coming it had to finished on the day.will those periods of extra time hinder UUJ this weekend especially in the final(should they get there).surely they must be knackered all together.