PDA

View Full Version : Barneveld switches to PDC

carrickharp
15/02/2006, 2:43 PM
Barneveld will play in the PDC Premier League this year
Raymond van Barneveld will no longer play at the Lakeside World Darts Championship after joining the rival Professional Darts Corporation.
The Dutchman has quit the British Darts Organisation to play alongside the likes of Phil Taylor at the PDC World Championship in Purfleet, Essex.

Barneveld is a four-time champion at Lakeside and will now compete in the Holsten Premier League.

Only last month he denied rumours he was about to join the PDC.

He said: "The time was right for me to make the biggest move of my career.

"As a professional darts player, you want to play every week against the best players in the world, including the best, Phil Taylor."

Barneveld lost this year's final at the Lakeside to fellow Dutchman Jelle Klaasen and will now pit his wits against Taylor and five other top PDC players at venues across the country.

Barneveld said: "I have known most of the players for a long time and it will be difficult going into competitions when I am not the favourite.

"But I hope I will be able to turn that around soon."

BDO spokesman Robert Holmes said the organisation was disappointed to have lost a player of Barneveld's profile, particularly after he had indicated he would be staying.

He said: "It is very sad he is moving on when, not that many weeks ago, he vowed to come back and try and win a fifth title.

"He wrote us a letter saying that he had won everything with the BDO and was looking for a new challenge and it had nothing to do with anything else.

"We have no choice but to wish him well but what the BDO offers the BBC is a genuine world title and players are starting on their road to play at Lakeside next year.

"Last year we had 12 players making their debuts and that's brilliant for the sport."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/darts/4715606.stm

It will be very intresting to see how he gets on.

Anto McC
15/02/2006, 11:15 PM
Instantly installed as 2nd favorite for his first competition!!

Stevo Da Gull
15/02/2006, 11:29 PM
It will be interesting all right, I see he's in the Premier League so we'll get to see plenty of him. I would'nt hold it against him but last time I was on their website (January) they were delighted with Barney after telling them that he was committed to staying, it's a bit of a blow to the BDO but it's Barnevelds decision at the end of the day.

I'm looking forward to seeing him play Lloyd. I'd say Colin will be looking to stamp his authority etc etc:cool:

CollegeTillIDie
16/02/2006, 8:29 AM
Is this kind of like DARTS version of what Kerry Packer tried in Cricket back in the 1970's?

carrickharp
16/02/2006, 12:46 PM
The four matches tonight in the opening week of the Premier League in Blackburn are:

Wayne Mardle V Phil Taylor
Peter Manley V Roland Scholten
Ray Barneveld V Ronnie Baxter
Phil Taylor V Colin Lloyd

Dodge
16/02/2006, 1:42 PM
Is this kind of like DARTS version of what Kerry Packer tried in Cricket back in the 1970's?
Kinda, but as its individual international selections aren't affect (I know they have them in darts but its nowhere near the same) Its probably closer to the different wrestling groups

sullanefc
16/02/2006, 8:51 PM
Well Barney has hammered the Rocket 8-1. Dream debut I'd say.

Kowalski
16/02/2006, 9:47 PM
Its no surprise he hammered him, Barney is as good, probably better than everyone else in the PDC with the exception of Taylor who is just miles ahead of everyone.

carrickharp
17/02/2006, 7:18 AM
Its no surprise he hammered him, Barney is as good, probably better than everyone else in the PDC with the exception of Taylor who is just miles ahead of everyone.
My thoughts exactly it was some debut alright, but it spurred Taylor on to hammer Llyod 8-1 in the next match:eek:

Wayne Mardle 6 Phil Taylor 8,
Peter Manley 4 Roland Scholten 8,
Ray Barneveld 8 Ronnie Baxter 1,
Phil Taylor 8 Colin Lloyd 1.

Stevo Da Gull
26/02/2006, 5:27 PM
2 weeks gone, Bareveld and Taylor both with 100% records and Taylor's played a match extra. Scholten was beating Taylor 3-2 and had four darts at double 4 to go 4-2 up but missed them all. Taylor,Barneveld and Scholten the top 3 with Lloyd in fourth. I'd say any 1 of them could do it.

Clifford
03/03/2006, 3:24 PM
The 2 100% records remain after last night I believe. Hats of to Barny, always knew he was good enough to live with the big boys.