PDA

View Full Version : British MPs vote for Total Smoking Ban in all English Pubs & Clubs

Réiteoir
14/02/2006, 7:22 PM
http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=431900&postcount=2

About time this came in tbh

Ash
15/02/2006, 12:23 PM
I didnt see the report but someone told me an MP said something like
"if its good enough for Ireland, its good enough for the mainland" :eek:

Can anyone confirm this was said?

Schumi
15/02/2006, 12:28 PM
It was said. It was Iris Robinson (DUP's Peter Robinson's wife) though so the mainland comment was not too surprising. Wanting to copy what we did is surprising though.

Aldini98
15/02/2006, 2:46 PM
Im surprised that Private clubs are included over there.

Macy
16/02/2006, 7:18 AM
Im surprised that Private clubs are included over there.
There seems to be some debate whether legally they can. I suppose they can just go down the "work place" route that we did.

A lot of talk on 5live about the Irish experience. They're talking about a similar drop in smoking costing the UK Government £2bn a year :eek: (Compared to £1.5bn spend on smoking related diseases)

CollegeTillIDie
16/02/2006, 8:54 AM
Oh we are finally a trendsetting modern nation...,makes a change from the Pig Farming image so beloved of the Daily Mail... (please see Irish Daily Mail or whatever it's called thread)

Ash
16/02/2006, 8:54 AM
Could pubs change their licence to a "private club" and
then offer everyone membership?

superfrank
16/02/2006, 9:40 AM
It's about time the world caught up with us.

As someone approaching their eighteenth birthday, I'm glad to know that I can now travel into any pub here and in the UK without suffocating through second-hand smoke. I think bans like this will ensure that my generation will be healthier in years to come.

Macy
16/02/2006, 9:40 AM
Could pubs chance their licence to a "private club" and
then offer everyone membership?
I think the thing is, with the Working Mens clubs and the posh swanky Gentlemens clubs, the membership means you're an owner of the property as well. That's why they think there could be problems. Whats the betting the Lords manage to get the Gentlemens clubs exempt, whilst the trades and labour clubs have to comply?

Macy
16/02/2006, 9:41 AM
I think bans like this will ensure that my generation will be healthier in years to come.
Probably. Enjoy the pensions timebomb :D

superfrank
16/02/2006, 9:47 AM
Yeah, it's going to be a real scrap to the death.

John83
21/02/2006, 6:50 PM
You're the generation who'll first have to face up to working until you're 75, not us. Or do you think that enough votes will actually keep that from happening? The money won't be there for any other option.

CollegeTillIDie
25/02/2006, 9:41 PM
It's ok relax, all those nice Chinese, Eastern Europeans and Nigerians will be paying PRSI toward your pensions :D