PDA

View Full Version : What should we focus on?

livehead1
14/02/2006, 12:52 AM
having been a member of this forum for a decent amount of time i am becoming increasingly bemused by the number of threads and discussing occuring regarding thing that are nothing to do with the football side of things with the irish national side. i dont blame people for creating threads or posing on these threads, they are things that should be discussed but does this not represent a rot throughout our national set up that these things take pride of place as opposed to the actual players. i visited a few boards in england and their obviously dedicated mainly to them getting the right man for the the job at the moment but i dont see many comments about the actual running of the fa. does this show the inherent problems in the running of our fa, or does it show people willing to use other excuses for the poor performance of our playing staff?

OwlsFan
14/02/2006, 10:11 AM
It shows there isn't much else to talk about at the moment. A friendly and then a Summer of wishing we were there :(

The Staunton appointment has been talked out. There are plenty threads about up and coming players and then there's the FAI. No sure there's much else to talk about.

Dassa
14/02/2006, 10:24 AM
yeah international football for those countries fans who didnt make it to the world cup is quite deppressing at the minute. Knowing you have some crap friendly coming up why other fans around the globe plan ahead for their summer in Germany. lucky B..tards.

onenilgameover
14/02/2006, 12:12 PM
Livehead1 I'm not sure I understand what you mean...although I have the feeling that an interesting thread in there somewhere :)

livehead1
14/02/2006, 12:55 PM
briefly i feel that the amount of time that is spent discussing the problems with the Fai detracts from the real problem and that is the playing staff...

gustavo
14/02/2006, 1:50 PM
well if all is rotten in the FAI that doesnt help football in this country at all

klein4
14/02/2006, 3:04 PM
em correct me if I am wrong....what is and isnt discussed on this forum doesnt really have any affect on the state of irish football at all? no?? am I right or am I right????
I'm right.amnt I ????

livehead1
14/02/2006, 3:11 PM
em correct me if I am wrong....what is and isnt discussed on this forum doesnt really have any affect on the state of irish football at all? no?? am I right or am I right????
I'm right.amnt I ????
your very right in what you say, however thats not what im trying to get discussed here. Whats being said is does the amount of time we spend discussing the Fai and all that is wrong, detract from the real problem , the poor state of our squad. Maybe i don't agree with that statement, but im wondering what other peoples opinions are, feel free to give yours!

klein4
14/02/2006, 3:18 PM
but sure we cant change the players we have!!!!

Paddy Garcia
14/02/2006, 4:20 PM
I agree with OwlsFan there is not much to get excited about when you are not going to the party - we can only dream. We could focus on either:

1. New Irish talent (vision)
2. A professional FAI (fantasy)
3. Our current crop (bad dream)
4. Why Eircom league players should be called up to the full squad? (hopeless romantics)
5. Ray Houghton passing to players on his own team (sweet dream)
6. England winning the world cup (nightmare)
7. Ireland winning the world cup (delusion)

NeilMcD
15/02/2006, 9:25 AM
I missed the Ray Houghton point there whats that about.

oconghc2
15/02/2006, 9:31 AM
i dont see any problem in ppl discussing the weaknesses of FAI etc. You say we should be focussing on poor squad etc. But the set up and structure in the country probably needs to change to improve conditions - youth development etc (as gustavo has said) and a lot of this will need to be implemented by the boys in merrion square! I dont have the answers but thats why they get paid big money!

So yeah - i reckon we should discuss FAI and all their weaknesses.

onenilgameover
15/02/2006, 9:39 AM
briefly i feel that the amount of time that is spent discussing the problems with the Fai detracts from the real problem and that is the playing staff...

I totally disagree. Sort out the professional set up of the FAI and the football would get better.

onenilgameover
15/02/2006, 9:44 AM
I'm right.amnt I ????

......again I disagree....we as fans have alot of power and our collective voice is stronger than ye might think...that is if we chose to use it...what is discussed here is very important to Irish football...in fact its what keeps irish football alive...I think its important to remember we are part of football in Ireland and are part of the FAI. So with regards to the thread's topic of course some of us would like to keep our house in order.

Paddy Garcia
15/02/2006, 9:45 AM
I missed the Ray Houghton point there whats that about.

.... the need for a midfielder today who can pass the ball really well - Houghton hardly ever gave the ball away. We could really do with a midfielder who can cut defences apart with the ease which Houghton could. Rush's goals were generally created by a pass from Houghton.

O'Shea, Kavanagh, Holland, Kilbane, Carsley & co. don't really compare.

NeilMcD
15/02/2006, 10:35 AM
i agree there, sorry the reference was a just a bit too crypic for me.

youngirish
15/02/2006, 12:45 PM
.... the need for a midfielder today who can pass the ball really well - Houghton hardly ever gave the ball away. We could really do with a midfielder who can cut defences apart with the ease which Houghton could. Rush's goals were generally created by a pass from Houghton.

O'Shea, Kavanagh, Holland, Kilbane, Carsley & co. don't really compare.
We have J O'Brien (never gives the ball away), S Ireland (exceptional creative talent) and Owen Garvan (young midfielder hopefully more in the mold of Brady rather than McPhail). Maybe I'm too optimistic but I reckon we'll be ok for midfielders by the time the next campaign kicks off.

Attack also we should be much improved over the last qualifiers (once Elliot gets fit and Doyle and Reading make it into the Premiership).

I honestly believe we'll have our strongest team for years by the time Euro 2008 comes around (once we are there). The only weak link I see on the horizon is one central defence position and a decent left back though we are lacking for cover in defence generally.

klein4
15/02/2006, 2:55 PM
all of the above are totally unproven at international level!!!
Its interesting you mention MacPhaill as his career trajectory should be clear in your mind before you go hyping up the latest lot. would be very surprised if any of the above have a major impact on the national team.

colster
15/02/2006, 3:18 PM
all of the above are totally unproven at international level!!!
Its interesting you mention MacPhaill as his career trajectory should be clear in your mind before you go hyping up the latest lot. would be very surprised if any of the above have a major impact on the national team.

He mentioned Brady too. He made his debut for Ireland when he was 18 and had only played a few games for Arsenal. Who knows maybe Ireland, O'Brien or Garvan might have similar success. Though you are right. They are unproven, but I'm looking forward to seeing the likes of Ireland, O'Brien, MacGeady, Doyle etc given a go. We can't say whether or not they'll make an impact until they get some games.
I think the fact that we have young players playing regularly in the Premiership and Championship is encouraging.

klein4
15/02/2006, 3:34 PM
never said it wasnt encouraging. just a bit of realism wouldnt go astray.
The fact that you mentioned brady. a man who made his debut 30 years ago as an example of a success story should tell ya something about the attrition rate with these things.
I would be much more encouraged by the form of someone like stephen reid who has been around the national team and played regularly in premiership for a while than any of the players mentioned above. when they have played a few games then we will know if they are up to it. hyping them up as the finished article doesnt do anyone any favours

colster
15/02/2006, 4:12 PM
The fact that you mentioned brady. a man who made his debut 30 years ago as an example of a success story should tell ya something about the attrition rate with these things.

Duff and the 2 Keanes are other more recent examples.

klein4
15/02/2006, 4:22 PM
yeah but duff and keane were well flagged from a young age and duff took a few years before he began to make any impact for ireland.too early to tell about any of these guys.

youngirish
15/02/2006, 5:21 PM
I would be much more encouraged by the form of someone like stephen reid who has been around the national team and played regularly in premiership for a while than any of the players mentioned above. when they have played a few games then we will know if they are up to it. hyping them up as the finished article doesnt do anyone any favours

O'Brien plays week in week out for Bolton who look to me to be a better team with better players than Blackburn (you mentioned Stephen Reid). I don't think it's overly optimistic to assume he might turn out to be a half decent player.

Stephen Reid is not proven at international level either. He's only had a bit part in a handful of games so I don't understand how you can be more excited about the prospect of him playing for Ireland considering he's been around for a while now and is never going to be anything other than an average premiership player.

klein4
15/02/2006, 9:22 PM
thats brilliant!!!!! genius!!!!
now just replace stephen reids name in your post with any of the names you mentioned and you might understand what I am on about!! btw I would put money on reid bein a regular in our midfield under staunton.

Paddy Garcia
16/02/2006, 8:24 AM
Blackburn have been flying and Reid has been key to this success.

Stuttgart88
16/02/2006, 8:53 AM
I would put money on reid bein a regular in our midfield under staunton.Good Lord. I fully agree with Klein4. :)

klein4
16/02/2006, 9:02 AM
give it a rest:rolleyes:

Stuttgart88
16/02/2006, 9:54 AM
It was meant in a humourous context. Take it or leave it.

NeilMcD
16/02/2006, 2:36 PM
Stuttgart have you seen the doctor yet.

klein4
16/02/2006, 3:13 PM
why, is he gettin sick in the mornings???
worrying time for you Neil!!!!:D :D

youngirish
16/02/2006, 5:28 PM
thats brilliant!!!!! genius!!!!
now just replace stephen reids name in your post with any of the names you mentioned and you might understand what I am on about!! btw I would put money on reid bein a regular in our midfield under staunton.

Stephen Reid is 25 and in reality is not likely to improve much as he's at an age whereby he should be at or near his peak. Garvan is only gone 18 while O'Brien and Ireland are 19 so if you know anything about football you might agree that there's a good chance they'll improve over the next few years so I stilll don't really understand your point about replacing any of their name's with Reids. Do you?

We have a number of young midfielders getting regular games for their clubs (add in Barry Cogan, Keith Keane, Mc Geady and Chris McCann to the 3 mentioned in the earlier post) and the odds are not all but some should come good.

livehead1
16/02/2006, 6:36 PM
Stephen Reid is 25 and in reality is not likely to improve much as he's at an age whereby he should be at or near his peak. Garvan is only gone 18 while O'Brien and Ireland are 19 so if you know anything about football you might agree that there's a good chance they'll improve over the next few years so I stilll don't really understand your point about replacing any of their name's with Reids. Do you?

o dear me. reid is our most in form midfielder this season and how can you say at what age he is going to reach his peak. Most footballers seem to reach them at around 28-29 and not around 25 as you have suggested. He can be a very important player for us, and can improve massively from where he is now, he is a good dynamic player though.

youngirish
17/02/2006, 9:05 AM
o dear me. reid is our most in form midfielder this season and how can you say at what age he is going to reach his peak. Most footballers seem to reach them at around 28-29 and not around 25 as you have suggested. He can be a very important player for us, and can improve massively from where he is now, he is a good dynamic player though.
He's only been a regular starter for Blackburn the last 6 weeks or so. Earlier in the season (and last season) he was s**te. You're missing the point, Reid is unlikely ever to be a top player in the Premiership. Stating anything else just proves that you probably have never even watched him playing a full game (highlights on MOTD). O'Brien, Ireland and Garvan are making all the right noises where they possibly could be top players though I'm not assuming that all 3 will make it.

klein4
17/02/2006, 9:34 AM
in fairness to reid he was injured for a good while.
blackburn are in fact above bolton in the premiership table.
when ireland garvan and o brien are 25 we will have a better idea of how good they are or how much of a contribution they can make. a few bad performaces in green and i'm sure you will be just as quick to write them off and hype up some other young player.