PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair undercover

Pages : 1 [2]

Clifford
15/02/2006, 9:18 AM
If my employer holds me in such low esteem that they will threaten, or invoke demotion as a result of me raising concerns, then I will seek alternative employment.

Ryanair continues because of 2 criteria. Firstly because people continue to seek employment with them, and secondly because people continue to provide them with custom. Remove one or both of these criteria and Ryanair will cease to exist. HOWEVER. There are numerous people who will continue to offer their services to Ryanair, either as employees or as customers. This raises the point that either the working practices at Ryanair are inappropriate / unsafe in which case those employees that choose to reamin are condoning such practices OR the situation is vastly over-exaggerated to the point where it is becoming tiresome.

anto1208
15/02/2006, 9:20 AM
the checks are
1 : at check in
2 : at passport control
3: at security
4 : and the boarding gate
5 : they check your boarding pass as you get on the plane ( you need you passport to get this boarding pass .

people that wont fly ryanair because of safety issues, should nt fly any airline in that case , just because a docomentry showed ryanairs lapse's does nt mean other airlines are doing anything different , and actually your in a metal tube going 500 mph 30,000 feet in the air what the **** is safe about that .

this is my choice when im going home
1: fly with ryan air on there brand new planes for 20 euro liverpool to shannon from check in time to me being at home with my feet up having a cup of tea 2 hours !!!!

choice 2: fly airlingus on there old planes cost 80 to 100 euro flys to dublin i then have to get out of dublin airport , dublin traffic and drive to limerick time till i get my cup of tea from check in allmost 6 hours

no contest ....

no unions great news that means lazy incompetent workers wont be kept in a job by using intimidation and blackmail ,unions serve no purpose anymore .

monutdfc
15/02/2006, 9:23 AM
students eh! :D sorry i dont know where you work, but lamentably i would have two-three 14 hour days a week, plus the remaining days of 10 1/2 (and i only have a forty min walk to work). plus working at weekends if required. she only had 4 days a week, imo she was acting to the camera.

European Working Time Directive (http://www.cec.org.uk/info/pubs/bbriefs/bb28.htm)
Have you signed an opt-out?

ColinR
15/02/2006, 9:28 AM
European Working Time Directive (http://www.cec.org.uk/info/pubs/bbriefs/bb28.htm)
Have you signed an opt-out?

we only get paid for 37 1/2 hours, our overtime is 'voluntary', so its not recorded. :mad:

Jerry The Saint
15/02/2006, 9:32 AM
[I] a well-respected, well-established TV channel. This isn't red-top TV, they didn't air it for shíts and giggles.

I have to disagree with this point - Channel 4 has gone rapidly downhill recently and is now, unfortunately, very much a home for "red-top TV". You only have to look at the title of the programme that followed Dispatches - 'Bodyshock: The 80-year-old Children', which follows other screaming-headline titles like 'P!sssed on the Job', 'Balls of Steel', 'The Man Who Ate His Lover', 'Born with Two Heads!' (coming next week) etc. You can even look at the film premieres they're showing lately - 'Rat Race', 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding', 'Final Destination 2' to get an idea where their programming is now focussed.

I felt the manner of the Ryanair documentary fit all too easily with the new, sensationalist, Channel 4 ethos.

Clifford
15/02/2006, 9:58 AM
I have to disagree with this point - Channel 4 has gone rapidly downhill recently and is now, unfortunately, very much a home for "red-top TV". You only have to look at the title of the programme that followed Dispatches - 'Bodyshock: The 80-year-old Children', which follows other screaming-headline titles like 'P!sssed on the Job', 'Balls of Steel', 'The Man Who Ate His Lover', 'Born with Two Heads!' (coming next week) etc. You can even look at the film premieres they're showing lately - 'Rat Race', 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding', 'Final Destination 2' to get an idea where their programming is now focussed.

I felt the manner of the Ryanair documentary fit all too easily with the new, sensationalist, Channel 4 ethos.

But it must be taken as gospel, it's on de tele.

dahamsta
15/02/2006, 10:04 AM
There's a difference between airing "reality tv" in-line with the current (bizarre) demand for it, and airing "real tv", which must pass ethics committees and the lawyers. Which this programme did, as mentioned in the letters to Ryanair.

I await the lawsuit from Ryanair refuting these allegations as libellous.

adam

pineapple stu
15/02/2006, 12:27 PM
students eh! sorry i dont know where you work, but lamentably i would have two-three 14 hour days a week, plus the remaining days of 10 1/2 (and i only have a forty min walk to work). plus working at weekends if required.
There's no way you can classify that as "normal". For what it's worth, I get up at 8:00 and am home by 6:00 most days. Now that's probably not normal either (just an intelligent job choice, but that's another thread! ;)), but 13½ hours a day is well over what is normal - in fact, I hardly know anyone who works those hours. You can't say she's "acting to the camera" purely on the basis of comparison with your own working hours.

The issue of number of days is interesting though. Did she say it was four days a go she was working? On one of Ryanair's letters, it said that the normal shift is 5-3-5-2 (i.e. five on, three off, etc.), in which case, the four-day shift argument would be ruled out. Maybe she was doing different hours.

i don't know why you only half quoted me :rolleyes:
I don't know why you only half-quoted me.:rolleyes: I dealt with the rest of your quote following on from what you quoted. They're not going to make a programme called "99.5% of all aircraft are safe", "199 chances in 200 that you'll arrive safely" or "5 of our flights might well drop out of the air at any moment, but hey, that's OK because the other 995 will arrive safely" which just shows things being done properly. We assume things are being done properly and are interested in what's not being done properly. Therefore the show was quite right in targetting what's not being done properly.

Ryanair continues because of 2 criteria. Firstly because people continue to seek employment with them, and secondly because people continue to provide them with custom. Remove one or both of these criteria and Ryanair will cease to exist.
Interesting point, but didn't one of the pilots, when asked, mention that Ryanair were very short of pilots which is why everyone was working up to the maximum allowed hours all the time?

I await the lawsuit from Ryanair refuting these allegations as libellous.
Well, Michael O'Leary has said he's submitted a complaint to the IAA or someone on the assumption that Channel 4 were endangering flights by filming while the plane was in the air even though he had absolutely no evidence at all! Making random counter-accusations to deflect from the main accusations is often a sign of guilt. Be interesting to see what happens here though.

ColinR
15/02/2006, 1:02 PM
but 13½ hours a day is well over what is normal - in fact

arrgghhh - that was not what was claimed - it was 13 1/2 hours between getting out of bed (not even leaving her house), and getting back to her house, and only 4 days a week. she claimed this was leaving her absolutly exhausted and almost incapable of doing her work properly. it is my opinion that she either lied to the camera or she is incapable of doing a proper job.

dahamsta
15/02/2006, 1:28 PM
14 page discussion (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=211164) on PPRuNe. Bear in mind when reading that there are a LOT of people involved in the industry on that site, from both "sides". More hidden agendas than you could shake a stick at. Like many on that forum, I retain the opinion that while many - not all - of the problems are common knowledge, and Ryanair are hardly the only airline responsible, it remains cause for major concern, and that Ryanair are a primary example.

adam

pineapple stu
15/02/2006, 1:32 PM
arrgghhh - that was not what was claimed - it was 13 1/2 hours between getting out of bed (not even leaving her house), and getting back to her house
:rolleyes: I'm aware of that. That's why my own example used the time I get up and get back home at. My argument still stands (4 days notwithstanding) - I hardly know anyone who works those hours, and it is certainly not normal.

pete
15/02/2006, 1:40 PM
I've only read the letters on the ryanair site but IMO the only issues that are newsworthy are safety ones. Flight crews working long hours makes no difference all that matters is that pilots hours are within the laws - 900 hours a year sounds like nice job. EU 48 hour working week is a joke & unworkable - "voluntary hours" mentioned above. I don't see any issue with not checking passports at boarding - flight crew couldn't tell a forged passport anymore than i could.

Clifford
15/02/2006, 1:57 PM
14 page discussion (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=211164) on PPRuNe. Bear in mind when reading that there are a LOT of people involved in the industry on that site, from both "sides". More hidden agendas than you could shake a stick at. Like many on that forum, I retain the opinion that while many - not all - of the problems are common knowledge, and Ryanair are hardly the only airline responsible, it remains cause for major concern, and that Ryanair are a primary example.

adam

That's fair comment.

ColinR
15/02/2006, 2:01 PM
:rolleyes: I'm aware of that. That's why my own example used the time I get up and get back home at. My argument still stands (4 days notwithstanding) - I hardly know anyone who works those hours, and it is certainly not normal.

well, ithink we'll have to disagree about what is to be described normal or abnormal (we've probably gone off-topic now!).

back on-topic, has anybody that has actually watched the documentary found it insightful in anyway?

it surely could have been a much better show, and looked much worse on ryanair if they had have had any balance in it. go under-cover in BA or virgin, and show them checking passports etc., have their pilots talk about their hours etc.

the subject matter is rife for a proper investigation, unfortunately this wasn't one

anto1208
15/02/2006, 2:33 PM
people have come on with there minds allready made up , the ones in support of ryanair like the cheap flights and no nonsence attitude of MOL not to have union based large staff driving up the prices .

the ones against ryanair seem to think they will be safe flying any other airline there not. its like watching supersize me then saying Mcdonalds is bad for you im never eating it again im going to burger king instead .:)

Bald Student
15/02/2006, 4:41 PM
:rolleyes: I'm aware of that. That's why my own example used the time I get up and get back home at. My argument still stands (4 days notwithstanding) - I hardly know anyone who works those hours, and it is certainly not normal.It's normal for shiftwork, i.e. people who have to work overnight. There's a girl in my class who workes 12 hours a day, 4 days a week, with every second week day or night clearing cheques for the bank. I haven't seen the program but if that made the top ten list of complaints I'm not too worried.

Macy
16/02/2006, 7:09 AM
the checks are
1 : at check in
2 : at passport control
3: at security
4 : and the boarding gate
5 : they check your boarding pass as you get on the plane ( you need you passport to get this boarding pass .

1: Ryanair have online check in now - no passport check at check in
2 and 3: Only one check, when you go through the security gate, no check when you put your bags etc through the xray etc. No other passport control
4: Not on Ryanair apparently
5: Never had my boarding pass checked getting on a Ryanair plane, and only on others to so they can direct me to an allocated seat

I still say it's 3 including the boarding gate, and that's already down to 2 with Ryanair with their online check in.

choice 2: fly airlingus on there old planes cost 80 to 100 euro flys to dublin i then have to get out of dublin airport , dublin traffic and drive to limerick time till i get my cup of tea from check in allmost 6 hours

Most times aer lingus are cheaper when I'm booking flights, and I do look at both.

CollegeTillIDie
16/02/2006, 9:12 AM
we only get paid for 37 1/2 hours, our overtime is 'voluntary', so its not recorded. :mad:

Get another job then or better still move back to Ireland!:D

anto1208
16/02/2006, 1:34 PM
1: Ryanair have online check in now - no passport check at check in
2 and 3: Only one check, when you go through the security gate, no check when you put your bags etc through the xray etc. No other passport control
4: Not on Ryanair apparently
5: Never had my boarding pass checked getting on a Ryanair plane, and only on others to so they can direct me to an allocated seat

I still say it's 3 including the boarding gate, and that's already down to 2 with Ryanair with their online check in.

Most times aer lingus are cheaper when I'm booking flights, and I do look at both.

so how is it any different from the other airlines they only check your passport on check in aswell , so how are ryanair less safe to travel with than any other airline doing the same amount of checks

aerlingus is cheaper maybe if you fly on a tuesday or wens not at the week end like i need .i fly friday and sunday return for 12 euro normally about 40 after taxes , plus if you add the cost of driving from dublin to limerick and back thats 100 euro in deisel !! so they are nt cheaper for my paticular trip

but on another point the free seating is a stroke of genius every one gets on and gets sat down in about 5 or 10 mins rather than waiting for people to find there seat then put the bags up while standing in the middle of the plane blocking everyone else from getting on .

Macy
16/02/2006, 1:45 PM
so how is it any different from the other airlines they only check your passport on check in aswell , so how are ryanair less safe to travel with than any other airline doing the same amount of checks
It was you that said there were 5 checks when there are clearly 3 max. One of which Ryanair has dropped, and one that it is their practice not to carry out (they don't deny it, just come up with a list of other checks that are carried out).

aerlingus is cheaper maybe if you fly on a tuesday or wens not at the week end like i need .i fly friday and sunday return for 12 euro normally about 40 after taxes , plus if you add the cost of driving from dublin to limerick and back thats 100 euro in deisel !! so they are nt cheaper for my paticular trip
I've always found ryanair worse/ as bad for the free/cheap seats being midweek. My next trip would've been €300 plus on Ryanair Friday to Sunday, Friday to Sunday Aer Lingus was €150. Doing Thursday to Monday €60 aer lingus, Ryanairs price was €150. I only booked it a couple of weeks ago. Adding in petrol is irrelevant, as not comparing like with like, just the same as comparing two different routes isn't like with like.

but on another point the free seating is a stroke of genius every one gets on and gets sat down in about 5 or 10 mins rather than waiting for people to find there seat then put the bags up while standing in the middle of the plane blocking everyone else from getting on .
Again, not my experience. Time wise no difference imo, in terms of civilised travelling worth at least a tenner each way.

anto1208
16/02/2006, 2:09 PM
[QUOTE=Macy]

Adding in petrol is irrelevant, as not comparing like with like, just the same as comparing two different routes isn't like with like.

[QUOTE]

airlingus may be cheaper in some cases but that is thanks to ryanair , remember the cost of flights a few years back with them ? massive ,why ? because they were a badly run company with a union based workforce that kept too many in jobs and costs way too high .

i was comparing liverpool to limerick ,with ryan air its liverpool to shannon with airlingus its liverpool dublin limerick so the cost of petrol has to be a factor when considering which to use .to get me from point A to point B.

because i fly quite o lot 2 or 3 times a month ive found ryanair better suits me . i suppose its personal choice , i think the open seating works really well ive never had to wait more than a minute to find a seat where as on other flights ive been standing on the tarmac waiting in the rain while some old bag tries to find which seat she is ment to be in .because she cant sit in the first available one .

if people dont want to fly with ryanair than fair enough dont ! but to say you wont fly because there any less safe than the others is stupid .

dfx-
16/02/2006, 4:04 PM
I've just seen the documentary last night/morning and I can safely say I for one will not be travelling with Ryanair again. My flight to Pisa in December is to be my last. (where we were asked before landing to help clean the aircraft ourselves to aid the turnaround - I am passenger, not a cleaner).

I do not trust them anymore at all. I do not appreciate their attitude both to me in the past (when paying pretty full price for a seat) if their only line of defence is along the lines of we haven't had an accident yet (based on their statement at the end) and that other airlines do it too (how childish is that?), then bye bye Mr. O'Leary.

Though in keeping with Ryanair's general attitude, I'm sure he couldn't care less.

anto1208
16/02/2006, 4:10 PM
(where we were asked before landing to help clean the aircraft ourselves to aid the turnaround - I am passenger, not a cleaner).

no they ask you to take your rubbish with you not to clean up the plane , why do you feel its ok to leave rubbish laying about for some one else to clean up ?

they do this so they dont have to employ cleaners to get on the plane and clean up after you thus driving up the prices

dfx-
16/02/2006, 4:46 PM
Ah, so is there anything else they'd like me to do since I only paid so little..? Refuel the plane when it lands? Take off my own luggage? I mean that would do away with labour and rid them of baggage handling disputes....sure why don't we all pitch in and try to get the plane turned around in 10 minutes while we're at it saving time and money...?:rolleyes: :(

It is unprofessional. It is also unacceptable for some passengers, potentially a lot who have paid in the mid hundreds for the flight anyway. If they cannot provide the flight with any crumb of professional behaviour, then I will pay over the odds for someone who will. I am not looking to be treated like kings, I am looking to be simply respected for at least most steps for longer than until I click 'Pay'. For the people in such circumstances that Ryanair provides the only option, I feel sorry for your misfortune. :(

Bald Student
16/02/2006, 4:52 PM
If they cannot provide the flight with any crumb of professional behaviour, then I will pay over the odds for someone who will.That's fine. Thanks to ryanair you have a choice of carriers and you can pick your favourite. Personally I'm perfectly happy to carry my own bags, bring my own sandwich and pick up after me if it saves me a few bob. That's what competition and choice are all about.

pete
16/02/2006, 4:59 PM
Everyone knows what they will get with Ryanair so if you don't like don't use them. I've had both my worst & my best flight with Ryanair.

There are few enough direct choices from Ireland as Aer Lingus was being run for the staff for far too long & Aer Rianta have protected them for years too. Happily that has changed to a large extent now.

I have never thought Aer Lingus were great. They fairly cheap for trans-atlantic but service far from top class but i know that when booking.

I respect O'Leary as unlike vast majority of irish millionaires he still lives in this country & pays his taxes here. Also he doesn't get involved with politicians like some others. People like Dermot Desmond are the spongers of this state in comparison - tax exiles & basically bribing politicians (Haughey & IFSC).

Dodge
16/02/2006, 6:27 PM
I respect O'Leary as unlike vast majority of irish millionaires he still lives in this country & pays his taxes here. Also he doesn't get involved with politicians like some others.
Whatecer about the rest of your argument, this comment is at best naive. O'Leary plays the same game as the rest and utilises as much of the tax laws as he can...

Clifford
16/02/2006, 10:09 PM
Ah, so is there anything else they'd like me to do since I only paid so little..? Refuel the plane when it lands? Take off my own luggage? I mean that would do away with labour and rid them of baggage handling disputes....sure why don't we all pitch in and try to get the plane turned around in 10 minutes while we're at it saving time and money...?:rolleyes: :(

It is unprofessional. It is also unacceptable for some passengers, potentially a lot who have paid in the mid hundreds for the flight anyway. If they cannot provide the flight with any crumb of professional behaviour, then I will pay over the odds for someone who will. I am not looking to be treated like kings, I am looking to be simply respected for at least most steps for longer than until I click 'Pay'. For the people in such circumstances that Ryanair provides the only option, I feel sorry for your misfortune. :(

ei, ba, bmi all ask the same of you. They come around with a bag asking you to throw out anything that your finished with and ask you to bring everything else with you. I think it's disgusting the rubbish people leave behind them for no good reason, indicitive of the pure laziness that is afflicting society nowadays.

Clifford
29/03/2006, 10:43 PM
Ha ha, jokers.

Passenger jet lands in wrong place Mar 29 2006

A pilot was questioned after he landed his passenger jet in a military airbase by mistake.

Thirty-nine passengers and six crew were on board a Ryanair flight from Liverpool which was due to touch down at City of Derry airport in Northern Ireland.

But it came down at neighbouring Ballykelly air field - five miles short of its intended destination.

Passengers and their luggage were taken off, leaving the jet grounded on the orders of aviation authorities who demanded an immediate investigation.

Ryanair confirmed the Airbus A320 plane had landed at the military base mistakenly.

Macy
30/03/2006, 7:22 AM
Ryanair, the airline you can have faith in :rolleyes:

Macy
30/03/2006, 9:47 AM
btw could've been interesting if they'd made the mistake around one of the British cities. Might not have been such jovial headlines....

anto1208
30/03/2006, 12:19 PM
it was a eirjet plane with an eirjet poilet that was charterd by ryan air .

klein4
30/03/2006, 12:38 PM
Ryanair said "at no stage were passengers in danger"
I wonder with 9/11 and all that was that really the case

Macy
30/03/2006, 12:43 PM
sure that's okay then, as I'm sure the passengers were told that when they booked.

dfx-
30/03/2006, 1:10 PM

Ah, Ryanair are blameless then..I mean how could they have possibly ensured that eirjet had capable staff with the aim of completing the flight before chartering it. The funniest thing for me is that the passengers treated it as a joke initially - if you were to fly with a any major, nay, more professional operator, you wouldn't think landing in the middle of nowhere with a cardboard box for a terminal is a joke, but with Ryanair, who's to tell?:D

Though this is not the funniest I've heard since I last looked at this thread. I heard of someone actually of having their flight changed after booking..you can imagine a conversation on the phone if you were to ask why:

"Hello Sir/Madame, I'm from Ryanair and I see you've booked and paid for a flight on such and such a day with us....erm it turns out now we won't be flying that day, we'll be flying the following day instead and ermmm...you're now going to be flying the next day whether you like it or not - I hope it wasn't anything important":D :rolleyes:

Clifford
30/03/2006, 1:22 PM
http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=440513&postcount=12

klein4
30/03/2006, 3:50 PM
Classic!:D :D

anto1208
31/03/2006, 2:50 PM
Ah, Ryanair are blameless then..I mean how could they have possibly ensured that eirjet had capable staff with the aim of completing the flight before chartering it. The funniest thing for me is that the passengers treated it as a joke initially - if you were to fly with a any major, nay, more professional operator, you wouldn't think landing in the middle of nowhere with a cardboard box for a terminal is a joke, but with Ryanair, who's to tell?:D

:

put it this way if you put a drunk mate into a cab told the cabby the address and he dropped him off at the wrong house is it your fault ??

i flew aerlingus it was ment to land in shannon it landed in cork , this happens all the time its just the ryan air bashers love to have a go at any little thing that goes wrong .

they where 5 miles from where they where supposed to be shock horror how did they ever survive that ,a week of counciling i think should see them through this difficult time , even if they had to walk they would be there in an hour .

John83
31/03/2006, 3:01 PM
they where 5 miles from where they where supposed to be shock horror how did they ever survive that ,a week of counciling i think should see them through this difficult time , even if they had to walk they would be there in an hour .
You give the impression of being someone who writes faster than he thinks, even if that causes a few grammatical issues, so I'll try to make this a simple question:

What if there had been a plane taking off from the runway the pilot mistook for one five miles away?

Landing in the wrong place is a really, really serious problem. It raises more questions: What are the checks in place for selecting the correct runway? If he had been in contact with the Derry airport tower, the pilot must have been given a particular landing slot, which he made a total balls of. If so, why wasn't his position confirmed? Was procedure followed there? Why the hell don't the newspapers ask those questions instead of reporting the story in a really shallow manner?

anto1208
31/03/2006, 3:21 PM
You give the impression of being someone who writes faster than he thinks, even if that causes a few grammatical issues, so I'll try to make this a simple question:

What if there had been a plane taking off from the runway the pilot mistook for one five miles away?

Landing in the wrong place is a really, really serious problem. It raises more questions: What are the checks in place for selecting the correct runway? If he had been in contact with the Derry airport tower, the pilot must have been given a particular landing slot, which he made a total balls of. If so, why wasn't his position confirmed? Was procedure followed there? Why the hell don't the newspapers ask those questions instead of reporting the story in a really shallow manner?

first off im not writting an english leaving cert essay so my grammer doesnt have to be right you get the message get over it .

how is what you mentioned above ryanairs fault rather than the pilot ? thast my point every one is going on like its another f up by ryanair , when im blaming the pilot .

John83
31/03/2006, 3:33 PM
first off im not writting an english leaving cert essay so my grammer doesnt have to be right you get the message get over it . 4nd 1 dn't hv 2 vs vwls 2 gt my mssg 4cr0ss, bt 1t hlps.

how is what you mentioned above ryanairs fault rather than the pilot ? thast my point every one is going on like its another f up by ryanair , when im blaming the pilot . The first two paragraphs of your post do indeed say that. I agree with you on that - Ryanair are reasonably blameless here. If anyone deserves a bashing, it'll be between Derry airport's ATC tower and Eirjet or whatever they're called.

However, your last paragraph, the thing I specifically quoted, was what I disagreed with. You see now why a little care in what you post makes a difference in what you communicate?

Student Mullet
31/03/2006, 3:51 PM
What are the checks in place for selecting the correct runway? If he had been in contact with the Derry airport tower, the pilot must have been given a particular landing slot, which he made a total balls of. If so, why wasn't his position confirmed?I doubt that Derry airport has more than one runway or more than one or two flights an hour so that's probably not an issue. It did make me wonder about all these fancy electronic navigation and safety devices you see on the discovery channel in airplanes. Are they just for show?

anto1208
31/03/2006, 3:55 PM
4nd 1 dn't hv 2 vs vwls 2 gt my mssg 4cr0ss, bt 1t hlps.

The first two paragraphs of your post do indeed say that. I agree with you on that - Ryanair are reasonably blameless here. If anyone deserves a bashing, it'll be between Derry airport's ATC tower and Eirjet or whatever they're called.

However, your last paragraph, the thing I specifically quoted, was what I disagreed with. You see now why a little care in what you post makes a difference in what you communicate?

its called dyslexia .it looks perfectly ok to me so theres nothing i can do about it , stop being such a mouldy maggot worring about grammer FFS . do you slag people in wheel chairs because there not good runners !! :mad:

its still not a big deal , if there was a plane taking off the tower in the airbase would have been active and spotted the incoming plane on the radar , if another plane comes within a certain distance an alarm goes off in the cockpit .

this is an even bigger non story than the tv show that started this thread , if ye knew half of what actually goes on in other airlines you'd never fly .

remember BA phoning up virgin airlines customers lieing to them that the virgin flight has been cancelled and selling them BA tickets instead !!

John83
31/03/2006, 4:36 PM
its called dyslexia .it looks perfectly ok to me so theres nothing i can do about it , stop being such a mouldy maggot worring about grammer FFS . do you slag people in wheel chairs because there not good runners !! :mad:
If that's true, then I'm sorry. However, I've known and worked with a number of dyslexic people in the past, and none of them has failed to capitalise the first letter of a sentance, misplaced commas and full stops or marked the end of a question with a pair of exclamation marks. Mixing up there and their, or misspelling grammar I could understand, but you look rather more like a lazy typist than a dislexic person to me. Of course, you could be both. Anyway, enough of this. Back on topic.

I doubt that Derry airport has more than one runway or more than one or two flights an hour so that's probably not an issue. It did make me wonder about all these fancy electronic navigation and safety devices you see on the discovery channel in airplanes. Are they just for show?

its still not a big deal , if there was a plane taking off the tower in the airbase would have been active and spotted the incoming plane on the radar , if another plane comes within a certain distance an alarm goes off in the cockpit.
There have been incidences of jets coming within a few tens of metres of each other on runways in accidents like this. I don't think an accident was as unlikely as you think anto.

this is an even bigger non story than the tv show that started this thread , if ye knew half of what actually goes on in other airlines you'd never fly .
That's true of most industries. Ever eaten Chicken McNuggets (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2092-1532856,00.html)? ("Jamie Oliver... appalled the children by demonstrating that their much loved chicken nuggets are made of a pulp of, literally, skin and bones.")

remember BA phoning up virgin airlines customers lieing to them that the virgin flight has been cancelled and selling them BA tickets instead !!
That's pathetic (and I'd hope it resulted in a big fine for fraud or some such), but not really an indication of how able they are to take off, fly to where you want to go and land, which are my main metrics in chosing an airline. After that, it's just pricing and frills.

dahamsta
31/03/2006, 4:58 PM
While I'm inclined to agree with John83, I don't want to see any more off-topic discussion in this thread. If you want to discuss dyslexia, start a new thread, and don't get personal please.

REVIP
31/03/2006, 5:27 PM
Ah, Ryanair are blameless then..I mean how could they have possibly ensured that eirjet had capable staff with the aim of completing the flight before chartering it. The funniest thing for me is that the passengers treated it as a joke initially - if you were to fly with a any major, nay, more professional operator, you wouldn't think landing in the middle of nowhere with a cardboard box for a terminal is a joke, but with Ryanair, who's to tell?:D :

Looking for a story I remembered from 1995, where the plane landed in the wrong country, not just the wrong airport, I found this:

http://www.thirdamendment.com/wrongway.html

Anyone who thinks Ryanair is bad should try airlines in some less developed countries!

Thunderblaster
31/03/2006, 10:33 PM
I'm sure that Michael O'Leary will lap this up.

pete
01/04/2006, 11:41 AM
Does Derry Airport even have air traffic control? I would think it consists of no more than saying the runway is clear of an obstructions. Notice how these incidents don't happen at major airports?

If you don't like Ryanair don't buy a ticket with them. Even if you never fly ryanair they have ensured your Aer Lingus ticket is probably 1/4 of the price it would be if noi Ryanair. In the past you would have had no choice as the state airlines ran a nice cosy cartel.

Ryanair must know that if they have an accident which dents their safety record it could impact on their sales.

Thunderblaster
01/04/2006, 5:04 PM
Ryanair must know that if they have an accident which dents their safety record it could impact on their sales.

And Michael O'Leary would probably blame the accident on state or big company sponsored sabotage.