PDA

View Full Version : Stardust (DocuDrama and call for new tribunal)

Block G Raptor
13/02/2006, 10:29 AM
Was watching the Stardust docudrama on RTE last night and thought that up to the fire it's self it was excellent and sensitive but I really think that the way in which the families grief was portrayed was way OTT there was absolutely no need for RTE/Filmamkers to show idividual case's of parents being told that there Sons/Daughters were dead. the majority of people in this country know what happened at the Stardust 25 years ago and dont need to see actors re-enacting for what many is still an incredibly painfull event i feel this could have been dealt with in a much more subtle way similar to the way the Hillsborough disaster docudrama dealt with the 15 mins during which all the victims supposedly died). My fathers twin sisters where both at the stardust that night and thank god both of them got out reletivley un-scathed. I lived very close to the venue and although only four years old at the time can vaguely remember the aftermath and funerals etc. I will be watching the second part tonight but I really am angry at the way the families grief was dealt with.

Tired&Emotional
13/02/2006, 11:58 AM
I saw a few minutes of it at the start but to be honest I couldn't bring myself to watch the rest of it. It brought it back and knowing how it ended in such tragedy, I just couldn't stomach - even to this day. I wasn't at the club or know any families or victims but I can't imagine how the families must feel with it being dragged up again in such a vivid way...it feels like it only happened yesterday..

Ringo
13/02/2006, 12:57 PM
Regretfully, it could happen again. The film was very harrowing, but in real life it was. Unfortunately, unless you live locally, it is hard to understand the pain that still exists. The Butterly’s have shown no remorse & opening the new bar, under the "Silver Swan" name is just sick. As upsetting as it was, it needs to shown, so that people won’t forget.

Block G Raptor
13/02/2006, 1:49 PM
Regretfully, it could happen again. The film was very harrowing, but in real life it was. Unfortunately, unless you live locally, it is hard to understand the pain that still exists. The Butterly’s have shown no remorse & opening the new bar, under the "Silver Swan" name is just sick. As upsetting as it was, it needs to shown, so that people won’t forget.

Agree with you that it should be shown but feel that the Docudrama focused on the reaction of the grieving families rather than the event itself, whilst it was poignant to see people collapsing in grief I felt that it was a bit too gratuitous (we know how parents react when told that their children wont be coming home we dont need to be shown it in extreme close-up) as it seemed more focused on dramatising the grief which these people felt at the time and I'm sure still feel today. I feel that the reaction of the families after a private screening of the film recently was justified, as I feel that in some dark way the producers of the film tried to get entertainment/shock value for want of a better word from the grief as opposed to focusing on the causes of the tragedy and /or the victims themselves
Totally agree that it is a disgrace that Buckley was giving a licence to open another premises on the site, memorial garden which was opened recently should have been located there not another fecking Pub

Ringo
13/02/2006, 5:19 PM
i thought there would be more about the cause too. a small bit about the exits , but not much else. unless it goes over that in part two.

Dodge
14/02/2006, 10:14 PM
the majority of people in this country know what happened at the Stardust 25 years ago and dont need to see actors re-enacting for what many is still an incredibly painfull event
Yeah but no-one under the age of 35 not from thta area would have a firm grasp on what happened. Most know something happened and some might know about the locked doors but thats about it. Rather than gloss over it the show seemed to hammer home just how painful it was. The people involved mightn't need to watch it but the rest of the country did...

i feel this could have been dealt with in a much more subtle way similar to the way the Hillsborough disaster docudrama dealt with the 15 mins during which all the victims supposedly died).
I don't know who wrote the RTE one but I doubt they would've been of the calibre as JImmy McGovern

BTW Here's a news story (with clips)
http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0214/stardust.html

And here's the Questions and Ansers bit
http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0213/qanda.html

Here's the Primetime Documentray....
http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0214/primetime.html

I think Butterly trying to open a bar on the 25th aniversary is probably the sickest thing I've ever heard. I hope he gets what he deserves...

PS.... I changed the thread title as I think we should talk about the whole thing and not just the docudrama

Dodge
14/02/2006, 11:35 PM
Sunday Business Post profile of the Butterlys (http://www.sbpost.ie/post/pages/p/wholestory.aspx-qqqt=PROFILE-qqqs=profile-qqqsectionid=3-qqqc=7.0.0.0-qqqn=1-qqqx=1.asp)

Block G Raptor
15/02/2006, 8:02 AM
I think Butterly trying to open a bar on the 25th aniversary is probably the sickest thing I've ever heard. I hope he gets what he deserves...

Not just a new bar but with the same name (Silver Swan was the name of the pub adjacent to the stardust),and to launch it with a Valentines Party :eek: is the man trying to kick the Families/survivors in the teeth or what ?
absolute B@stard

Dodge
15/02/2006, 3:39 PM
Silver Swan was the name of his bar on georges st, not the one beside stardust...

Ringo
15/02/2006, 8:05 PM
the one beside the Stardust was called the Silver Swan. Saw it enough times

Block G Raptor
16/02/2006, 12:06 PM
Silver Swan was the name of his bar on georges st, not the one beside stardust...
Jaysus I lived beside it my parents were regulars at the pub and Stardust when I was a wee raptor It sure as fook was called the silver swan

Dodge
16/02/2006, 1:37 PM
My fault, just going on the Butterly article

CollegeTillIDie
17/02/2006, 7:37 AM
The Prime Time Documentary on Wednesday had some interesting new information on the actual fire etc and threw cold water ( no pun intended) on the findings of the Stardust Tribunal. Maybe the Victim's families can pursue their new inquiry on the basis of that programme.

Ringo
18/02/2006, 12:07 PM
Protesters block re-opening of pub near Stardust site
18/02/2006 - 12:23:10

A protest is taking place in the Dublin suburb of Artane this morning against the opening of a pub adjacent to the site of the Stardust nightclub fire.

About 100 people are protesting against the re-opening of the Sliver Swan pub which was destroyed in the blaze that killed 48 young people on Valentine’s Day 25 years ago.

The pub was originally due to open on Wednesday but was postponed by angry protests from the families of Stardust victims.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/02/18/story245291.html

el punter
20/02/2006, 7:10 AM
Has anyone noticed the really patronising way the media (Irish Times in particular) had been talking about how the 'poor, working class people of Coolock' could not get justice. So condescending it's unreal.

Dodge
20/02/2006, 9:26 AM
In fairness that’s the angle the group (and their lawyers) are pushing.

Block G Raptor
20/02/2006, 9:28 AM
Has anyone noticed the really patronising way the media (Irish Times in particular) had been talking about how the 'poor, working class people of Coolock' could not get justice. So condescending it's unreal.

Have to ask yourself if this happened in Dublin 4 would it have been swept under the carpet?

el punter
20/02/2006, 2:26 PM
There perhaps an element of its ok for people from the area to say they are poor and working class....and rightly question if they are receiving the same treatment as if the fire had been in Annabels or Renards, but when the media start saying they are poor and working class it grates a bit.

Not that I claim any insight of how the relatives of the victims construct their case to have an independent inquiry, but the social background of the victims is surely irrelevant. I can't imagine any court in Ireland saying "yes, the wool was pulled over your eyes because by and large you didn't have third level education".