PDA

View Full Version : Restaurants on the Rocky Road?

BleusAvantTout
13/02/2006, 6:56 AM
Over the next few weeks a fair few Linfield & Glentoran fans will be heading to Tolka for the Setanta Cup games. Due to school commitments I shall be leaving at approx. 4 p.m. I am wondering where you would recommend to stop for a meal that of course would be served relatively quickly! Before anyone chips in (pun intended) I am not considering the "Golden Arches"!

In the past I would have stopped at the Monasterboice Inn and afaik this is relatively close to the motorway! Any suggestions?

gspain
13/02/2006, 8:59 AM
Can't really recommend too much. Did stop at a place whose name escapes me just on the southern side of the border but wouldn't exactly recommend it. It is on the left, has a carpark with a bit of a kids palyground and then the bar/restaurant. Lots of football memorabilia on the wall. Food was only OK though but it was popular.

4pm is pretty tight for a 7.45pm kickoff, you should be fine but with Belfast and possibly dublin traffic you may be better off grabbing something quick at the Golden Arches.

Raheny Red
13/02/2006, 12:46 PM
Try to get to Dublin early, get parked and get something in the area.

In Phibsboro/Old Glasnevin, just before the "Cross Guns Bridge" (it is just before Phibsboro) which spans the Royal Canal and Railway Tracks, there is the Brian Boru and the Porter House North. Both serve food although I think the Porter House serves all day while sandwiches aside I don't think the Brian Boru serves outside meal times. Porter House is a very nice "Brew Pub" and the food is pretty decent, very good pizza and burgers, steaks etc. One thing about the Porter House is that they are not too fond of football colours been worn (doesn't matter which colours), although perhaps during the day they might not be as bothered. The Woodstock Cafe opposite Phibsboro Shopping centre (unlicensed I think) runs food of a carvery all day and is pretty decent. Burdocks Cafe in the centre itself is ok and it might serve drink too, not too sure. There is also an Eddie Rockets nearby.

For a combination of Food and Drink, in this area the Porter House, wins for me.

Slightly closer to Tolka try Fagans, decent food although the staff and management are perhaps the rudest in Dublin.There is also a very decent and reasonably priced Indian opposite Fagans called Jamuna.

Slightly north of Tolka the best bet for Pub/Restaurant food is the "Ivy House" directly opposite the Skylon Hotel. The food here is better than Fagans and the staff a lot more civilised. It is also more comfortable and despite its proximity to the ground less likely to be crowded by football fans. Also along this strip is a fairly decent Italian restaurant and a slightly pricey but rather good Thai (Chili Banana). Right on the junction of Richmond Road is a place called Millmount House. Downstairs is the Prison Officers Club, but upstairs is a very good Chinese and they do an early bird menu too, up to 7 I think. This is almost right on top of the ground and a window seat will give you a superb view of the crowd arriving at the match.

Hope this helps.

Good stuff bohs fan, do you work for the Irish Tourism Board by any chance :confused: :p

A face
13/02/2006, 2:37 PM
Over the next few weeks a fair few Linfield & Glentoran fans will be heading to Tolka for the Setanta Cup games. Due to school commitments I shall be leaving at approx. 4 p.m. I am wondering where you would recommend to stop for a meal that of course would be served relatively quickly! Before anyone chips in (pun intended) I am not considering the "Golden Arches"!

In the past I would have stopped at the Monasterboice Inn and afaik this is relatively close to the motorway! Any suggestions?

Have a look here aswell (http://www.adlib.ie/) to see if it helps !!

pete
13/02/2006, 2:46 PM
I would recommend trying to get to Dublin on time & then accessing food options depending on time left to ko. If you stop on the way could easily misjudge the time left to get through the Dublin traffic (shouldn't be too bad as motorway on stops less than 2 miles from Tolka.

Lux Interior
14/02/2006, 2:12 AM
And, asides from 'The Cat & Cage', are there any other bars/establishments that are football-colour friendly?

MariborKev
14/02/2006, 11:56 AM
The Cat & Cage will probably be fine, as you already know. I would suggest the Ivy House will be ok too so long as they are not deluged with huge numbers.

Btw, is ILF down at the moment? I can't seem to get onto it?

The Ivy House don't like large numbers, football fans or Northerners so it may pose a challenge

Schumi
14/02/2006, 12:10 PM
Fagans will probably be ok.
Fagan's shut up shop to football colours after one of our games against Rovers in Tolka, they might react the same way to Linfield.

WeAreRovers
14/02/2006, 12:16 PM
I'd imagine the local publicans would see Linfield in the same light as Rovers which means Fagans and Kennedys are out. The Cat and Cage and the Ivy House are fine though. Cat and Cage do decent food too. I can even ask in the C&C this evening after our game with Shels.

KOH

onceahoop
14/02/2006, 3:01 PM

Don't know what part of Belfast your leaving from, but try the Huntsmans Inn at Gormanstown. Take the first exit after the toll booths and its towards Balbriggan on the right. It's well signposted. There's a statue of a horse in the car park. It's only a couple of minutes back to the motorway. You could probably do the Huntsmans in under an hour and a half from the roundabout at the Royal hospital depending on traffic out of Newry. The new section of motorway by passing Dundalk is a big help.

pete
14/02/2006, 8:44 PM
Fagans closed the doors after shels v city game last season. Most of use went into Kennedys & had no hassle at all. City fans will be slow to return to Fagans again. Food dodgy there too - i don't think burgers made from beef...?

Lux Interior
14/02/2006, 10:01 PM
Cheers, for all the above.

No coachload, carload. No jester hats, either. Button hole badges, maybe one or two replica shirts ....

Kennedy's - is that the one at the other end of the bridge from Fagan's? Fagan's were a bit iffy about colours last two times we played Shels but, as the C&C (apparently) do food, that could be the one.

Be in Dublin from 4:30ish - probably try and avoid the bulk of Glenmen, though:p ;)

BleusAvantTout
14/02/2006, 10:21 PM
Yes many thanks for all your suggestions! :cool:

WeAreRovers
15/02/2006, 10:40 AM
You'll have no bother in the Cat and Cage. There's a new menu too, it looks good but I haven't sampled it yet. They serve food from 10.00am to 10.00pm.

KOH

A face
15/02/2006, 9:12 PM
And, asides from 'The Cat & Cage', are there any other bars/establishments that are football-colour friendly?

Maybe some of the Dubs can confirm this but just up the road from the Cat and Cage is the Ceylon (sp?) Hotel ?? If it is then there is an Indian Kebab shop, and its fairly tasty, its a chipper type place so doesn't look great but good food, and another bar just up past it, painted black (cant remember the name) they have big screens and footie fans would be welcome as long as you dont look like trouble (i.e. dont walk in there in big groups kinda thing)

pete
15/02/2006, 9:19 PM
You'll have no bother in the Cat and Cage. There's a new menu too, it looks good but I haven't sampled it yet. They serve food from 10.00am to 10.00pm.

Sounds like you work there. ;)

CollegeTillIDie
18/02/2006, 10:42 PM
It's the Skylon Hotel and the food is good but it is Hotel restaurant prices

pete
19/02/2006, 10:36 AM
It's the Skylon Hotel and the food is good but it is Hotel restaurant prices

IMO food is ok but overpriced.

iceman
19/02/2006, 6:07 PM

Monasterboice Inn is only yards off the motorway and well signed. Food 1st class and I would say , allowing for traffic and parking , about an hour from the ground.

Probably the best bet is the Cat and Cage , as already suggested. We make this our regular watering hole when playing in Tolka. Ground is only around the corner.

Raheny Red
19/02/2006, 6:35 PM
I'll be in College tomorrow in the Drumcondra area so at lunch time I'll head into a few of the bars to see if they are shutting up shop for a couple of hours before the game............

Raheny Red
20/02/2006, 12:17 PM
CLICK (http://forum.shelbournefc.ie/chat/viewtopic.php?p=64137#64137)

Lux Interior
22/02/2006, 3:38 PM
Interesting views on the shels site there, raheny.

For the record, we got into Dublin at 4:30 and could not get access to the 'Cat & Cage' (5 lads, only one with colours).

The bar (name escapes me) facing the road that Tolka's on (Richmond Rd?) had two customers inside but "members only, lads".

Finally, approached Fegan's (with trepidation, after last year) and got in with no problems. Probably around 30-40 Glens fans in there (plenty with colours) and we had a wee singsong with no interference from the door.

Several pints and one good feed later, we somehow stumbled into the home stand:D

I appreciate that bars have to assess situations and I find the reluctance of some to allow access to boozed up football fans, understandable, however we're not talking about high class London establishments here. Any bar manager with half a clued-up ear on the football grapevine, would know that last Monday was a low profile day for lads who put their team first and foremost, with no interest in rucking.

Poor show, north Dublin.

Raheny Red
23/02/2006, 10:29 AM
I'm very suprised that Fagans let yous in after the response I got from them. They seemed like they were going to be quite strict with letting either Shels and Glens fans in........Anyway good to see that yous got your pre-match pints, how
did the post-match pints go :p .....mine were great :cool:

Lux Interior
23/02/2006, 5:19 PM
Lux, although you might find it hard to believe that place (Millmount House) is actually a members club. Specifically it is the Prison Officers club from the nearby Mountjoy Prison. So they were telling you the truth. I am not a member but drink there now and again, then again I am "local" and they serve some people from the immediate area. However they have to be careful with their licence as the local pups keep an eye on them to make sure they are not opening the doors to the general public. If they did the likes of Fagans would shop them.

Fair enough, bohs. A mate of mine - who, bizarrely, did get in - pointed this out to me last night.

Lux Interior
23/02/2006, 5:21 PM
I'm very suprised that Fagans let yous in after the response I got from them. They seemed like they were going to be quite strict with letting either Shels and Glens fans in........Anyway good to see that yous got your pre-match pints, how
did the post-match pints go :p .....mine were great :cool:

Was surprised too, after the refusal to get in there last July.

I had enough pre-match ale to contemplate any post-match jars, celebratory or commisary.

Although I did wake up the proud owner of some new Shels away shorts:p