PDA

View Full Version : Cork 3 - 0 Lims

Westside
12/02/2006, 2:49 PM
Just seen the result on aertel, Behan scored 2 and O'Brien the other. Anyone at the game that could give a match report / opinions etc

Btw........... Bakic scored for Cork against Kildare D.L also today.

Risteard
12/02/2006, 3:43 PM
City looked sharp enough and befor the 1st half had ended had taken their foot off the pedal.
Limerick looked much better in the first half. It looked like a bunch of young fellas for Limerick. I didn't recognise any of them anyway.
Ref ordered George to be subbed.
All in all a good workout for City.

gael353
12/02/2006, 6:05 PM
Game over after only 20 minutes. Poor performance by many and the team sat too far back for the entire game. One or two players are clearly not up to scratch and far too long was taken to replace them, however we were playing the league champions and this will prove a good workout.

John Healy, Anthony Wolfe (Stephen Conway) Paul Finucane (Brian Buckley) Ken Keily (Paul Danagher) Pat Purcell, Dave Ryan (Conor Molen) Colm Heffernan (Shane Guiren) Tommy Barrett, Ger Bourke (Niall Davorn) Paul Rose, Kevin Waters (Derick McCarthy) unused sub Liam Costelloe. Attn: 350 approx.

Westside
12/02/2006, 7:17 PM
You wanna share your opinions on who wasn't up to scratch gael. Did anyone do themselves justice on the day, and where was Mooney.

Btw........Did you hear anynews about the Robbie K situation. Have we seen he last of him for the blues.:(

Risteard
12/02/2006, 11:11 PM
John Healy, Anthony Wolfe (Stephen Conway) Paul Finucane (Brian Buckley) Ken Keily (Paul Danagher) Pat Purcell, Dave Ryan (Conor Molen) Colm Heffernan (Shane Guiren) Tommy Barrett, Ger Bourke (Niall Davorn) Paul Rose, Kevin Waters (Derick McCarthy) unused sub Liam Costelloe. Attn: 350 approx.
Would that be more or less your first team minus Kelleher, Derek McCarthy and Mooney?

Is that Anthony Wolfe from the northside of Cork?

gael353
12/02/2006, 11:27 PM
Hope Robbie comes back, Mooney was injured and Derick came on. Tobin is missing but yea its prob our full team. We need a few more players though, a right back would be nice, we shouldnt have singed one of those central defenders and an experienced central mid fielder wouldnt go amiss and Dave Ryan is not an outside right, good striker yes but wasted out there.

lim abroad
13/02/2006, 12:23 AM
what position did heffernan play?

see's it
13/02/2006, 8:19 AM
where was the sense in leaving Stephen o Mahoney go? he was defo the best right full to play for limerick for years.
Conway,Burke,Ryan and Geurin are not ready for the LOI yet bench warmers at the most for this season.

pete
13/02/2006, 11:47 AM
Good practice for City when playing the likes of Home Farm, UCD & Bray this season.

sadloserkid
13/02/2006, 11:53 AM
Is that Anthony Wolfe from the northside of Cork?

Yes.

As for our team... Healy was in goal with Mooney injured and made some good saves especially in the second half. No fault there.

Wolfe at right back looked more like the player we remembered and less like the surprisingly confident and focused variant we saw against Dublin City. That said I don't think he was as bad as some may say.

Paul Finucane at left back isn't going to work. The one glaring weakness of Paul's game is a lack of pace and it gets exploited out there.

Paddy Purcell looked a lot more like his old self in the second half. No real worries there.

Ken Kiely... I'm not convinced yet. Not awful by any stretch but I don't see what he offers that makes it worthwhile to push Finni out wide and relegate Brian Buckley to the bench.

In midfield Tommy Barrett had too much to do and accordingly his game suffered.

Ger Bourke alongside him was poor but it was a big step up for him. Ger Bourke is not a bad player by any stretch and could have a bright future for Limerick. I'm not sure he should be a starter just yet though.

Heffernan on the left didn't get much joy either though he never stopped trying and at least looked threatening in possession.

Dave Ryan on the right got involved and harried and chased throughout. I think he's a good bet to break through properly this year and Cork City are going to be a lot better than what he's going to have to face week in, week out.

Difficult to say much about Rose and Waters up front because they were starved of any real service (especially in the second half when we were stunningly defensive even when in possession). Paul rose in particular showed some good touches though.

As for the subs...

Buckley was the best and should be in the first XI without a doubt.

Derek McCarthy showed again that he's got to be in the frame for a start as well.

The others all did reasonably with the time they were given too but it was hard to take a lot from the second half. It was one hell of a good workout though for our lads and I think it can onlt benefit them in the long run.

For what it's worth my starting XI at the moment would be as follows:

*I'm leaving Paul Tobin, Robbie Kelleher and Chris Jones out of this team because they've not been seen yet this season. I believe Jones is at home with an illness but expected back though.

Mooney

Wolfe Purcell Finucane Buckley

Ryan Barrett Molan Heffernan

Waters McCarthy

I suppose I wouldn't argue too much with Molan at rightback and Bourke in midfield too. Dave Ryan and Shane Guerin are pretty much interchangeable for me too though I think Guerin adds a bit of aerial prowess when he's put up front too. Another right full and another body in central midfield wouldn't go amiss IMO. Depending on Mooney's injury a keeper might be required too.