PDA

View Full Version : No game on the last day

gspain
10/02/2006, 8:55 AM
While I am reasonably happy with the fixtures I think our lack of a game on the last day could be damaging. It does give the other countries a target and they will know exactly what they need.

Normally one of the smaller countries in a group gets screwed this way. You rarely see one of the major powers ending up without a last day fixture. I know you can point to the last time it happened to us (Gary Mackay we'll never forget you) but it is still not a good situation to be in.

Even as 4th seeds we still should have had enough clout to ensure Cyprus or San Marino were idle on the last day.

Hope I'm wrong on this one but it could come back to bite us hard.

OwlsFan
10/02/2006, 9:03 AM
Who of our rivals are playing on the last day ? If the Czechs are playing the Slovaks and each require a point I'd be worried. If the Germans are playing either of those or if the "minnows" are the opposition, I wouldn't be worried.

NeilMcD
10/02/2006, 9:48 AM
Zypern - Tschechische Republik
21.11.2007 Deutschland - Wales
21.11.2007 San Marino - Slowakei

OwlsFan
10/02/2006, 9:55 AM
Sehr gut. gspain befurchestest das Schlimmeste. Keine Angst, das passiert so liecht nicht wieder ;) .

colster
10/02/2006, 10:14 AM
While I am reasonably happy with the fixtures I think our lack of a game on the last day could be damaging. It does give the other countries a target and they will know exactly what they need.

Normally one of the smaller countries in a group gets screwed this way. You rarely see one of the major powers ending up without a last day fixture. I know you can point to the last time it happened to us (Gary Mackay we'll never forget you) but it is still not a good situation to be in.

Even as 4th seeds we still should have had enough clout to ensure Cyprus or San Marino were idle on the last day.

Hope I'm wrong on this one but it could come back to bite us hard.

I don't think it's that big a disadvantage. The Czechs(Cyprus A), Germans(Wales H) and Slovaks(San Marino A) will win their last match so if we haven't qualified before those games then we're out.

stickyjoe
10/02/2006, 10:21 AM
The last time we qualified for the European Championships

we did not play on the last day
we were 4th seeds
scotland beat bulgaria 1-0 away on the last day....step forward another celtic nation wales away to germany on the last day
we had just hired a new management team with a well known englishman
and the year ended in 8(ok, i know I`m getting desperate now)

so I for one am looking forward to qualification this time around :D

eirebhoy
10/02/2006, 11:02 AM
I wouldn't worry. Germany and Czechs will most likely need to win on the last day anyway and neither have an easy match. Germany should beat Wales but the Czech Republic have it tough. They'll be playing in a derby match against Slovakia and then have to fly over for the tough trip to Cyprus.

livehead1
10/02/2006, 11:57 AM
Sehr gut. gspain befurchestest das Schlimmeste. Keine Angst, das passiert so liecht nicht wieder ;) .

Ihr Deutscher ist nicht bis zu den Standards, die im modernen Klima erwartet werden.

pineapple stu
10/02/2006, 12:30 PM
If we're in first or second place going into the last day, I'd be fairly happy to be honest...

gspain
10/02/2006, 1:01 PM

As somebody who did Latin for my Leaving Cert can you translate especially as my name is stuck in the middle of it. :confused:

sylvo
10/02/2006, 7:11 PM

we were 4th seeds
scotland beat bulgaria 1-0 away on the last day....step forward another celtic nation wales away to germany on the last day

Also another thing, our last game v Wales is on november 17th, same date that we played Northern Ireland at Windsor Park in 93 to get to America.

Man this group is going to be a gentle breeze for us.;) :D

pineapple stu
10/02/2006, 8:38 PM
Ihr Deutscher ist nicht bis zu den Standards
Ach, die Ironie!:p

Originally Posted by OwlsFan
Sehr gut. gspain befurchestest das Schlimmeste. Keine Angst, das passiert so liecht nicht wieder.
As somebody who did Latin for my Leaving Cert can you translate especially as my name is stuck in the middle of it.
Very good. gspain fears the worst. Don't worry - that doesn't happen that easily any more (?! Some dodgy spelling there as well - I assume "liecht" should be "leicht").

jimbob117
12/02/2006, 11:12 PM

we were 4th seeds

I like it! reminds me of all the things that happened when Liverpool won the Champions League in May and there were 5 or 6 things that reoccured to the last time the did it! its faith, we're gonna qualify!