PDA

View Full Version : Ron Greenwood RIP

parnell ranger
09/02/2006, 2:59 PM
Ron greenwood,former England and West Ham manager has died.
A truly brilliant coach who helped shape the careers of great players and managers including Trevor Brooking,Martin Peters, Bobby Moore and Bobby Robson to name a few.
Ron was also hugely instrumental in developing the "Academy" at his beloved West Ham.
He introduced the continental style of possession football that yielded much success for the Hammers winning the Fa cup and cup winners cup in the 60s.

Karlos
09/02/2006, 6:19 PM
Always sad to see someone well respected within the game pass away. Haven't got too many memories of him I must admit but I've read a good deal about him and some of his thoughts on how the game should be played. Obviously a very knowledgeable man of the game.

R.I.P.

hamish
09/02/2006, 6:50 PM
RIP Ron Greenwood.
Brings me back to the 60s when West Ham had a lovely footballing side with Johnny "Budgie" Byrne, Hurst, Peters, Moore, Ronnie Boyce and so on.
Greenwood never really did the business at international level with England but he was well respected though throughout the game.

CollegeTillIDie
10/02/2006, 8:57 AM
Well sirhamish
He did get them qualified for a World Cup (1982) for the first time since 1962.
( They were hosts in 1966 and holders in 1970 and didn't make 1974 or 1978 World Cups)

hamish
10/02/2006, 6:10 PM
Well sirhamish
He did get them qualified for a World Cup (1982) for the first time since 1962.
( They were hosts in 1966 and holders in 1970 and didn't make 1974 or 1978 World Cups)

True, true but I felt that English side could have done better when they got there.

CollegeTillIDie
15/02/2006, 8:48 PM
sirhamish

Trevor Brooking and Kevin Keegan were injured and unavailable until the last game of the WC where they were both introduced as substitutes.

hamish
15/02/2006, 10:16 PM
sirhamish

Trevor Brooking and Kevin Keegan were injured and unavailable until the last game of the WC where they were both introduced as substitutes.

That game - wasn't it against Spain? -, is coming back to me now, DieITillCollege, yeah, you're right, I guess I was a bit hard on him alright.:o :)