PDA

View Full Version : Where do Germany play their home games?

Donal81
09/02/2006, 2:47 PM
Howya lads, does anyone know where Germany play their home games? I'm thinking of making the most of the fine European train system, don't fancy getting fleeced like Paris. Apologies if this is common knowledge and I'm just an eejit, I have no idea where there game will be on.

Cowboy
09/02/2006, 2:55 PM
I think they move games around Donal

Donal81
09/02/2006, 2:56 PM
Cheers Cowboy.

paul_oshea
09/02/2006, 3:01 PM
well a few of the regulars over on soccercentral, who live there strongly beleive its going to be in dortmund, if flights you are thinking of.

Cowboy
09/02/2006, 3:24 PM
well a few of the regulars over on soccercentral, who live there strongly beleive its going to be in dortmund, if flights you are thinking of.

Yep it seems there are many in germany who think it will be dortmund

Tired&Emotional
09/02/2006, 3:27 PM
Hope it's Dortmund - brother worked in an Irish bar there for a few years and been over many times - some great boozers there!

Though Munich is a real possibility as well....& just as good!

jbyrne
09/02/2006, 5:06 PM
hope its dortmund too. less attractive to the one off travelers i'd say so tickets may be gettable

sylvo
09/02/2006, 7:19 PM
They do indeed move their games around the country, so it may be a while before we know where the venue is going to be.

brine3
10/02/2006, 11:13 AM
dortmund is grand, a two hour drive for me :D

plus the westfalenstadion is a fantastic football venue, possibly the best in europe

Reality Bites
10/02/2006, 1:15 PM
When will actual location be announced???, it would be nice to start booking accomodation and flights to destination or nearby cities, I hope its Munich, the new stadium looks spectacular..

Ash
10/02/2006, 1:21 PM
They have 1 month to decide as far as I know

Jerry The Saint
10/02/2006, 1:42 PM
They have 1 month to decide as far as I know

1 month before the game is played, isn't it:confused: I remember the Swiss keeping us guessing right up until the game was nearly upon us. Unless they've changed the rules.

Babysis
10/02/2006, 1:44 PM
I thought it was up to 6 weeks before the date of the game. But i might be wrong

zinedineontour
10/02/2006, 1:48 PM
the german fa said yday that they will let the fai know where the game is within a month of yday ....

Superhoops
10/02/2006, 1:52 PM
When will actual location be announced???, it would be nice to start booking accomodation and flights to destination or nearby cities, I hope its Munich, the new stadium looks spectacular..
From Gerry McDermott in today's Indo: The Germans hope to inform the FAI next month where they intend to stage the match. Because the Irish supporters are likely to travel in large numbers, the FAI are pushing for Dortmund (65,782), with Berlin (74,220) and Munich (66,016) the other preferred options.

brine3
10/02/2006, 2:29 PM
with terracing dortmund can hold 80,000

i'm not sure if they are allowed to use it in terracing mode for international matches though

jbyrne
10/02/2006, 4:53 PM
with terracing dortmund can hold 80,000

i'm not sure if they are allowed to use it in terracing mode for international matches though

no they're not. terraces banned for competitive fixtures. croke park will be 70,000 rather than 82,500 for this very reason

zinedineontour
10/02/2006, 5:29 PM
no they're not. terraces banned for competitive fixtures. croke park will be 70,000 rather than 82,500 for this very reason

though they are planning to use bucket seats on the hill which will bring it to 75,000

mypost
10/02/2006, 5:55 PM

No point in booking anything now, tbh. :cool: However, if I was a betting chain CEO, I would put unbackable odds on the game being played in Munich, as I can't see why/how the Germans will put us up somewhere else, plus the fact they'll want to show off the Allianz Palace also.

Can't people just have the patience to wait until the venue is announced? :rolleyes:

If you want to book a trip now, you're better off booking Ayia Napa/Larnaca/Paphos, for the trek to Cyprus in October.

zinedineontour
10/02/2006, 6:09 PM
No point in booking anything now, tbh. :cool: However, if I was a betting chain CEO, I would put unbackable odds on the game being played in Munich, as I can't see why/how the Germans will put us up somewhere else, plus the fact they'll want to show off the Allianz Palace also.

Can't people just have the patience to wait until the venue is announced? :rolleyes:

If you want to book a trip now, you're better off booking Ayia Napa/Larnaca/Paphos, for the trek to Cyprus in October.
most people just dont want to wait till the prices for flights have gone up to book !

Armando
10/02/2006, 7:53 PM
though they are planning to use bucket seats on the hill which will bring it to 75,000

Where did you hear that? I was under the impression that the last campaign was strictly the last time we could use bucket seats. I was even half expecting the north and south terraces at Lansdowne to be closed for the competitive games this year, which of course would be awful.

Did we get another reprieve from Fifa because of the emergence of Croke Park as a suitable future venue? Fifa have always had a problem with our bucket seating arrangement. Maybe they were just putting the pressure on us about the bucket seating to get our stadium issues moving forward?

I really hope you are right.

CollegeTillIDie
10/02/2006, 8:36 PM
It's any one of 13 Venues that they can choose from and they are supposed to be letting the FAI know on Monday according to reports on one of this mornings papers.

mypost
11/02/2006, 4:54 AM
they are supposed to be letting the FAI know on Monday according to reports on one of this mornings papers.

That won't happen. We may not even know the venue until the Summer. :eek: The Germans and other FA's like them, (English, Dutch, Swiss, Russian, etc), usually take ages to confirm where matches take place. When you have 13 cities to choose from, why rush it? :confused:

most people just dont want to wait till the prices for flights have gone up to book

There's no point in booking a trip to somewhere now, where the match could end up being played at the other end of the country.

mistergreen
12/02/2006, 10:05 PM
All of my German buddies assure me that the game will be played in Dortmund. They also think that tickets will not be a problem as there will not be such a big demand from the Germans themselves to see Ireland. Plus people here will be sick and tired of football after the World Cup.
Mind you - that may not be the case if they win the thing!

jimbob117
15/02/2006, 10:24 PM
There's no point in booking a trip to somewhere now, where the match could end up being played at the other end of the country.

Your forgetting the wonderful german efficiency, at least when booking the flight. They have an excellent public transport system over there that is a lot cheaper than Ireland, and its very easy to get from one place to the next by train.At least then u can book the flights and travel the night before.

Peadar
16/02/2006, 9:38 AM
croke park will be 70,000 rather than 82,500 for this very reason

JB, would you agree with me that UEFA/FAIreland should look at the option of allowing school kids into the hill? They're allowed on the terrace at Lansdowne Road. It would be a great incentive if they had cheaper tickets available for the kids and also make the ground look more complete.

zinedineontour
16/02/2006, 10:21 AM
That won't happen. We may not even know the venue until the Summer. :eek: The Germans and other FA's like them, (English, Dutch, Swiss, Russian, etc), usually take ages to confirm where matches take place. When you have 13 cities to choose from, why rush it? :confused:

well due to the fact of the flights been far cheaper now then the minute venue is announced well worth it ... from frankfurt hahn munich is 4hr drive or dortmund 2 and half hours so not bad ...