28th March: Republic of Ireland V Slovakia

8th September: Slovakia V Republic of Ireland

12th September: Czech Republic V Republic of Ireland

13th October: Republic of Ireland V Germany

17th October: Republic of Ireland V Cyprus

17th November: Wales V Republic of Ireland

eirebhoy
09/02/2006, 1:48 PM
That was a quick meeting. Tough first and last matches.

NeilMcD
09/02/2006, 1:51 PM
I think Staunton has done great. He has no games in June when Irish teams play badly. He is playing a derby game last which means probably means either ourselves or wales will be out so taking the sting out of the game, (hopefully it will be Wales). Double header to Czech and Slovaks is great in my view. Germany first up away is a great idea in my view. Feck all booking can be done at the moment hence why I am posting here.

NeilMcD
09/02/2006, 1:57 PM
Following a meeting in Frankfurt today the fixture dates for Group D of the Euro 2008 Qualifiers were agreed.

Republic of Ireland, under new Manager Stephen Staunton, will kick off the qualifiers with away games against Germany on 2nd September and Cyprus on 7th October 2006. Staunton's first home game of the qualifiers will be against the Czech Republic on 11th October and he will follow that up with another home fixture against San Marino on 15th November 2006.

Ireland will play three matches in the Spring of 2007, away to San Marino on 7th February and at home to Wales and Slovakia on 24th and 28th March respectively. In the final games in the Group Ireland will face Slovakia and Czech Republic (both away) on 8th and 12th September respectively, Germany and Cyprus (both home) on 13th and 17th October respectively before travelling to Wales on 17th November 2007.

Speaking after the Fixtures Meeting, Republic of Ireland Manager, Stephen Staunton, expressed himself satisfied with the fixtures. "We achieved our key objectives in relation to these fixtures including no fixtures in June thus avoiding possible heat and end of season fixtures", he said. "I am also delighted that we achieved our target of playing Germany in Dublin towards the end of the qualifying campaign", he added.

FAI Chief Executive Officer, John Delaney, also expressed satisfaction with the fixtures list. "Stephen and his backroom team gave us a very strong base on which to negotiate and I am delight with the outcome of those negotiations. The agreed fixtures list will also allow us to play four matches in Croke Park in 2007".

FAI International Football Consultant, Sir Bobby Robson, said "last night I said that if we got four tenths of what we were looking for we should take it. I am delighted that we negotiated much more than that. Now that we know the fixtures its time to focus on the games and our preparations will begin in earnest with the friendly against Sweden next month".

eirebhoy
09/02/2006, 2:00 PM
Return flights to Prague with Aer Lingus from 10th-13th September:

Fare pp: 58.00
Tax: 40.25
Total: 98.25

finlma
09/02/2006, 2:01 PM
I like the look of it - job well done. A tough start butthe best time to play Germany away. The finish against Wales is perfect - they'll hopefully have nothing to play for.

NeilMcD
09/02/2006, 2:04 PM
Return flights to Prague with Aer Lingus from 10th-13th September:

Fare pp: 58.00
Tax: 40.25
Total: 98.25

Yes but thats for 2006 I know its a guide price you are looking at but sure you wont be able to book that until about November of this year as most companys you can only book 11 months in advance. The only away game you can book is Germany and Cyprus and even then you dont know where in Germany the game will be.

eirebhoy
09/02/2006, 2:09 PM
Yes but thats for 2006 I know its a guide price you are looking at but sure you wont be able to book that until about November of this year as most companys you can only book 11 months in advance. The only away game you can book is Germany and Cyprus and even then you dont know where in Germany the game will be.
Forgot it was 2007.:o

deego11
09/02/2006, 2:09 PM

Is it best to hold off booking Germany then because its too awkward to book a city to fly into? Do they have 60 days to decide which stadium its played in in Germany?

NeilMcD
09/02/2006, 2:13 PM
Depends I am thinking of moving to Germany for the summer and just stay ther efor the whole summer and get ****ed and get ****ed at the game and then wait for Oktoberfest to get ****ed.

Jerry The Saint
09/02/2006, 2:31 PM
The double-header in 'The Former Czechoslovakia' is directly intertwined with Ireland's first two games in the Rugby World Cup :( . Thankfully, there doesn't seem to be a direct clash until 13 October when Ireland vs. Germany is on the same day as a potential World Cup semi-final involving Ireland.

I think I could live with having to make a choice if it meant Ireland beating the All-Blacks in a World Cup Quarter Final! :D

fosterdollar
09/02/2006, 2:47 PM
When will the first match in Croker be, if at all?

NeilMcD
09/02/2006, 2:56 PM
Its the Welsh game if all things go to play regarding planning etc.

Ash
09/02/2006, 2:59 PM
Dub - Munich return with AerFungus
works out at 495.26 for a weekend trip!

pete
09/02/2006, 3:02 PM
They've probably been clever to ensure no double-headers involving much travel so the only doubl;e-headers are home games together & Slovakia-Czech Republic next to each other too.

Jerry The Saint
09/02/2006, 3:29 PM
Its the Welsh game if all things go to play regarding planning etc.

Nope, 2007 fixtures are guaranteed regardless of planning obstacles. So the first "foreign" :D game (after the 6 nations) will be Wales on 24th March, barring a theoretical friendly in Feb/early March.

Access will be reviewed for 2008 and can be denied in the event that Lansdowne hasn't yet been granted PP.

Rory H
09/02/2006, 3:31 PM
not too bad

really opens your eyes as to how hard a group it is

that wales game at the bottom worries me.....if we need a result going there to get through ill be happy because its a good position....however it'll be a tough one

but thats a long way a way on hay

stickyjoe
09/02/2006, 4:49 PM
good to avoid the june matches. Have never been a fan of matches at that time of the year since Liechenstein/Austria in 95.

interesting that we don`t have a game on the final day of fixtures. we`ll have to close off 1 of the top spots before the last round of fixtures in the group ;)

pineapple stu
09/02/2006, 6:44 PM
interesting that we don`t have a game on the final day of fixtures. we`ll have to close off 1 of the top spots before the last round of fixtures in the group ;)
Was just going to note that - is it the first time since 1988 that's happened?