PDA

View Full Version : What happened with Keane.....The Truth?

Pablo
23/05/2002, 4:45 PM
well this seems to be the jist that went on. he deserved to go:

By Sports.com's CATHAL DERVAN in Saipan

Mick McCarthy has revealed just why he kicked Republic of Ireland captain Roy Keane out of the World Cup.

The Irish boss was forced to listen as Keane launched a tirade of abuse and foul language in his direction during a clear the air meeting at the team’s hotel in Saipan.

Mick McCarthy announces the departure of Roy Keane (Sports.com)
McCarthy took as much abuse as he could take from Keane then told the Manchester United star to pack his bags.

Keane had been asked to explain comments attributed to him in an explosive newspaper interview when McCarthy called a team meeting at 7.30 pm local time here in Saipan.

Instead of appeasing his manager and his team-mates however, the Ireland captain launched a vicious and very personal attack on McCarthy in front of his players.

That was the final straw as far as the Republic boss was concerned. He told Keane to quit the squad immediately, less than 48 hours after the player had rescinded on his earlier decision to quit international football.

McCarthy said: "The abuse was personal, vicious and unprecedented. I listened to an intolerable level of abuse in that room tonight and I had no choice but to act.

"Roy left me with no alternative. I am sorry to lose him as a player but not sorry to see the back of him as a squad member."

McCarthy’s action was backed by senior players Niall Quinn and Steve Staunton and by FAI president Milo Corcoran at the press conference to announce Keane’s exit.

"The rest of the players support Mick in all of this. It is a sad day for Roy and for Irish football but I have never experienced anything like what went on tonight," said Staunton.

"What goes on in football should be kept in football. Roy crossed the divide in that newspaper article and then again at the meeting tonight and that cannot be tolerated. We are 100% behind Mick on this one."

McCarthy may now be forced to travel to the World Cup finals with just 22 players after Keane’s removal.

Celtic’s Colin Healy was placed on stand-by when Keane originally tried to quit on Tuesday but he has missed the FIFA deadline for World Cup registration.

"I was fully aware of the repercussions," added McCarthy.

"I called the meeting to clear the air and find out exactly what he was complaining about in the newspaper article which we have all read today. Instead of explaining himself he decided to level abuse in my direction and in front of the other members of the squad.

"That was simply intolerable as far as I am concerned. I had to take action and I had to send the player home. I had no choice.

"It is sad that we are losing Roy Keane the player, but I have 22 very happy players in this squad and one who has been unhappy all week.

"There has been an undercurrent here all week. We came to Saipan for some rest and relaxation ahead of the World Cup and instead I have found myself answering questions about comments from Roy all week.

"It is sad but I have no alternative when Roy behaved as he did tonight. You will have to ask him why he did it. I do not know."

Wizzard
23/05/2002, 4:51 PM
Originally posted by Pablo

By Sports.com's CATHAL DERVAN in Saipan

Isn't that the bloke who asked the Irish fans to boo Keane against Iceland?

eoinh
23/05/2002, 4:51 PM
has had it in for roy for a long time so be careful about what you read from him. staunton is the new captain and had a fairly good go at keane. apparently roy had a go at micks personality, his coaching and playing abilities and about his lack of irishness. i think roys lost it.

re the training pitch - it wasnt the greatest and they found an old bus under it a week or two ago- seriously (bbc5)

Pablo
23/05/2002, 4:53 PM
Its more the quotes from Mick and Stan that i was interested in

The Donie Forde
23/05/2002, 5:11 PM
I might be missing something here, so maybe someone might explain it for me:

"I am sorry to lose him as a player but not sorry to see the back of him as a squad member."

Are squad members NOT players then? :confused:

Thanks!

Donie

Pablo
23/05/2002, 5:13 PM
i'd say it was a polite way of saying he didnt like him as a person methinks

eoinh
23/05/2002, 5:36 PM
was going on about finding the "fighting irish" skills. thats it, weve had it. delaney handled the press conference. roy "doesnt like a number of the irish squad" he was cursing and blinding at the clear the air meeting. the bbc 5 reporter said that there were two big fat guys each side of delaney who looked like"tweedldum and tweedledee". the national team has had it and for the forseeable future.

The Donie Forde
23/05/2002, 5:45 PM
Originally posted by eoinh
...the bbc 5 reporter said that there were two big fat guys each side of delaney who looked like"tweedldum and tweedledee".

I've forgotten who the baldy guy is, but the one on the right was Des Casey.
Pretty accurate reporting by the Beeb all the same... :)

Donie

The Legend
23/05/2002, 9:47 PM
i agree... i think the national team will be set back light years by this....

...unless Duff becomes the new Pele overnight, its over for Rep. of Ireland!

A face
24/05/2002, 1:02 AM
We got a rough deal with the seedings this time around but we are fcuked next time around ...... Northern Ireland we get better than us.