PDA

View Full Version : Wales seek tough Euro 2008 start(Also contains our fixture list)

Hither green
09/02/2006, 11:05 AM
Wales are likely to seek a challenging start to their Euro 2008 qualifying campaign when they begin bargaining over fixtures in Frankfurt on Thursday.

With Toshack eager to buy time for a young squad and the Millennium Stadium unavailable in September, the opening ties may be all-but sacrificed.

The ideal scenario could be to seek away games with the Czechs and Germans.

"I'm being told we need a good start to get the momentum going - but the last set of qualifiers saw us win the first four and we still didn't qualify.

"One September game will have to be away, and I do have preferences - the Germans and the Czechs will have been in the World Cup in June and July.

Any preferences for us? Has Staunton said what he wants? In the past we've gone for games against those competing in a competition. If Wales are writing themselves off I wouldn't mind playing them early on, then again if they're planning to cram matches in at the end....

Rory H
09/02/2006, 11:39 AM
i think we need an easy ish game to start with....slovaks at home maybe....very beatable...or even cyprus.....then go to a hard away game...build a bit of confidence first

Saint Tom
09/02/2006, 12:22 PM
FAI will be looking for as many away games as possible starting off, with increased home capacity in 2007

Hither green
09/02/2006, 12:48 PM
Isn't there a limited period for Croke Park availability?

NeilMcD
09/02/2006, 12:59 PM
Yeah its available March October and November of 2007, so thats 7 dates in total by my reading of the dates. I reckon we will have 4 home games during that time and 3 away.

klein4
09/02/2006, 1:19 PM
ireland playin germany then cyprus away first
wales at home will be first game in croker

coislaoi
09/02/2006, 1:28 PM

2ND September: Germany V Republic of Ireland

7th October: Cyprus V Republic of Ireland
11th October: Republic of Ireland V Czech Republic

15th November: Republic of Ireland V San Marino

7th February: San Marino V Republic of Ireland

24th March: Republic of Ireland V Wales
28th March: Republic of Ireland V Slovakia

8th September: Slovakia V Republic of Ireland
12th September: Czech Republic V Republic of Ireland

13th October: Republic of Ireland V Germany
17th October: Republic of Ireland V Cyprus

17th November: Wales V Republic of Ireland

colster
09/02/2006, 1:48 PM

2ND September: Germany V Republic of Ireland

7th October: Cyprus V Republic of Ireland
11th October: Republic of Ireland V Czech Republic

15th November: Republic of Ireland V San Marino

7th February: San Marino V Republic of Ireland

24th March: Republic of Ireland V Wales
28th March: Republic of Ireland V Slovakia

8th September: Slovakia V Republic of Ireland
12th September: Czech Republic V Republic of Ireland

13th October: Republic of Ireland V Germany
17th October: Republic of Ireland V Cyprus

17th November: Wales V Republic of Ireland

That's not too bad. The double away header against Slovakia + Czech Republic will be tough.

klein4
09/02/2006, 1:53 PM
we would want to have our **** together by the time it starts. staunton/robson would want to have their team and tactics right or we could possibly come out of first four games with just 4 points....out of it by christmas...:(

eirebhoy
09/02/2006, 1:54 PM
That's not too bad. The double away header against Slovakia + Czech Republic will be tough.
As will the opening and closing fixtures. I wouldn't be over the moon with that fixture list.

NeilMcD
09/02/2006, 1:56 PM
I think they have done really well. No games in June. Playing away to Germany after their world cup, Hopefully hangover just like we caught the Dutch and the Portuguese and possibly the French last time too. Wales will be out of it by the time we play them last. Cyprus in October when it is not too hot. Double header too for Czechs and Slovaks. I am delighted with this. Fair Play Staunton and Robson.

bawn79
09/02/2006, 1:59 PM
The above isnt official is it?

NeilMcD
09/02/2006, 2:02 PM
Yes it is official and here are the welsh fixtures

2006 matches:
2nd September – Czech Republic v Wales
7th October – Wales v Slovakia, 11th October – Wales v Cyprus

2007 matches:
24th March – Republic of Ireland v Wales, 28th March – Wales v San Marino
2nd June – Wales v Czech Republic,
8th September – Wales v Germany, 12th September – Slovakia v Wales
13th October – Cyprus v Wales, 17th October – San Marino v Wales
17th November – Wales v Republic of Ireland, 21st November – Germany v Wales

FarBeag
09/02/2006, 2:05 PM
Ouch..That's a bit of a toughie taking on the German's at home in the first game,then Cyprus who we made difficult work off in our last last meeting and the Czechs all played within a six week period.It would suit us much better if we had a more established team and the run in looks kinda hard as well.

Tired&Emotional
09/02/2006, 2:07 PM
Is the venue/city for the Germany away game be out yet, anyone?!

Hither green
09/02/2006, 2:25 PM
ireland playin germany then cyprus away first
wales at home will be first game in croker

What about Germany and Cyprus at home?

Irish Pride
09/02/2006, 2:42 PM
I have to say, i'm not to keen on two away fixtures for the starters. It really depends on how Germany do in the World Cup, if they go far then it will be a good time to play them if they have a bad tourament like Euro2004 we could be in for a backlash. And lets not forget are last visit to Cypus, the worst proformance ever by an irish team. I would like to think 4 points from our first 2 games would be good. ireland v. Czech will be a massive game. that is when we will know if we are serious about Euro 2008 or not. if we win it would be laying it down to the other teams but if we draw it will be one of our campains again where we leave to the last game. Staunton is looking to World Cup 2010 but i think we have a good chance of euro2008 if he can get the best out of the players.

Jerry The Saint
09/02/2006, 3:00 PM
Far from an ideal set of fixtures but, as Robson said, we'd be doing well to get 40% of what we wanted.

Games vs. Slovakia and (especially) Cyprus in Croke Park could be a hard sell. Hopefully there will be something to play for in the final game but I could see it being a damp squib - would like to have played there earlier on.

Stand-out occasions: Germany away; Wales in Croker; double-header in Bratislava/Prague. Hopefully we can add Germany at home to that if still in contention.

NeilMcD
09/02/2006, 3:04 PM
Just noticed we dont play on the last day which is the 21st of November all other teams will be in action except us so we will be watching that night with nerves or else with our feet up or else not one bit interested.

paul_oshea
09/02/2006, 3:19 PM
you have covered everything there really neil....

Over the post
09/02/2006, 3:27 PM
I think it's a decent draw; not really much to add except to say that if we're going to start the campaign worrying about teams like Cyprus we're obviously not going to get very far! We have to go into the qualifiers with sufficient confidence to assume that Cyprus and San Marino are not going to pose a problem.

Greenbod
09/02/2006, 5:30 PM
we would want to have our **** together by the time it starts. staunton/robson would want to have their team and tactics right or we could possibly come out of first four games with just 4 points....out of it by christmas...:(

Jaysus, Klein, always something optimistic to say eh..:rolleyes:

And did you know if we lose all 4 we'll have no points. Surprised you didn't point that out. By the way, if we win all four we'll have 12 points (just to save you doing the calculation).

Kerry Blue
09/02/2006, 5:58 PM
Considering that we didn't have much clout when it came to bargaining the fixtures are not too bad. One good thing is that we don't have any games in June of next year. The one thing I wouldn't be happy about (already mentioned by NeilMcD) is that we don't play on the last day of matches. This is quiet a disadvantage as we may well have to rely on other results to be in with a chance of qualifying, and seeing as the Czechs, Germans and Slovaks should all win their last matches, if we are to qualify we need to do so at the Millennium Stadium at the latest.

HarpoJoyce
09/02/2006, 7:44 PM
Time now to digest the rest of the fixtures care of Welsh FA.

http://www.dragonsoccer.co.uk/euro2008/fixtures.htm