PDA

View Full Version : Bowl

Bald Student
08/02/2006, 5:55 PM
Article in the big paper today quoting macker as saying that the bowl will have 1,500 seats by 2007. That's an increase of 840. Planning permission has been applied for.
Also, wheelchair & ambulance access, turnstiles, propper toilets and administrative offices.

Student Mullet
08/02/2006, 5:56 PM
That's an increase of 840.Did the articel state wheather they're new seats? That sounds a bit too identicle to the current capacity of the A B bank stand for my likeing.

Poor Student
08/02/2006, 6:24 PM
If the big paper the College Observer? I scanned through it rapidly today and didn't notice that. I guess this is our last season at Belfield Pk.

Mullet raises an interesting point. I'm not sure if he's joking but given our history with used seats I wouldn't put it past the club.:o

CollegeTillIDie
08/02/2006, 7:51 PM
I recently saw an article from a Monthly Irish soccer newspaper called the Soccer Reporter from 1978 I think it was. A brief interview with the late great Dr. Tony O'Neill , talking about developing the bowl for soccer and it had the amphitheatre aspect etc and how the club was looking forward to moving there. Seems he was 30 years ahead of his time . :D

Bald Student
09/02/2006, 1:13 PM
I recently saw an article from a Monthly Irish soccer newspaper called the Soccer Reporter from 1978 I think it was. A brief interview with the late great Dr. Tony O'Neill , talking about developing the bowl for soccer and it had the amphitheatre aspect etc and how the club was looking forward to moving there. Seems he was 30 years ahead of his time . :DCheck out the issue of UCD Sport from before my time which is on display in the forum bar, oops I mean the centre bar, oops I mean the 'New Sports Bar'. It confidently predicts that a 20,000 capacity multi sports stadium will be built on UCD's new 300 acre 'Belfield' campus, which is only 2 miles south of Dublin.

As an aside, I look forward to seeing our marketability and potential support increasing as the project gets underway.

Bald Student
09/02/2006, 3:58 PM
http://www.stigonline.com/bowl.pdf

Schumi
09/02/2006, 4:15 PM
Belfield Park will no longer be used as a sports facility. Its future is uncertain.Would have thought its future was well known. :confused:

CollegeTillIDie
09/02/2006, 5:06 PM
Would have thought its future was well known. :confused:

Well it's now unclear as to whether apartments or a faculty building will be built on it.:(

Bald Student
09/02/2006, 5:38 PM
Would have thought its future was well known. :confused:You're assuming that student journalists research their articles.

HarpoJoyce
09/02/2006, 7:26 PM
Did the articel state wheather they're new seats? That sounds a bit too identicle to the current capacity of the A B bank stand for my likeing.

Mullet raises an interesting point. I'm not sure if he is joking but given our history with used seats i wouldn't put it past the club.

But very valid points. I can't remember the green seats provinence either, maybe St. James's Gate or Crewe Alexandria or maybe neither.

But there will only be a few traces of Belfield Park in the Bowl, so it's important to have the history right, at least at the beginning.

We may bring over that Hack 'gallows' type Bunker- type thing from the far side aswell. But maybe not.

CollegeTillIDie
09/02/2006, 7:41 PM
But very valid points. I can't remember the green seats provinence either, maybe St. James's Gate or Crewe Alexandria or maybe neither.

But there will only be a few traces of Belfield Park in the Bowl, so it's important to have the history right, at least at the beginning.

We may bring over that Hack 'gallows' type Bunker- type thing from the far side aswell. But maybe not.

The Green seats are retired bucket seating.... isn't it obvious? :confused:

HarpoJoyce
09/02/2006, 7:48 PM
The Green seats are retired bucket seating.... isn't it obvious? :confused:

em... yea now it is. But I'm usually in the far corner of the East Stand Upper so don't recognise them from close in.

I do like the little holes hand-drilled into the seat, is this to let snow melt through the holes like what they have in central Europe?

Poor Student
10/02/2006, 11:31 AM
So are we going to build the world's largest extendo-tunnel to go from the dressing rooms to the pitch?:D

Would this natural amphitheatre style be conducive to a better atmosphere? Are we going to have one stand or two after this extension?

CollegeTillIDie
10/02/2006, 11:48 AM
So are we going to build the world's largest extendo-tunnel to go from the dressing rooms to the pitch?:D
Well they are not going to be changing in the Sports Centre if that's what you are referring to. They will in fact be using new changing rooms that are to built on the Bowl precincts.

Poor Student
10/02/2006, 11:50 AM
Well they are not going to be changing in the Sports Centre if that's what you are referring to. They will in fact be using new changing rooms that are to built on the Bowl precincts.

There's some new state of the art dressing rooms built in that vicinity with lottery money. They also have top physio facilities. I think someone told me that the rugby players trek out from it into the stadium. What's the point in those dressing rooms if they stadium will have another set?:confused:

Bald Student
10/02/2006, 12:08 PM
CTID hits the nail on the head when he refers to the precincts of the bowl. They're just outside the stadium. That's fine for rugby but I'd imagine either a long extendo-tunnel or new changing rooms are needed.

Schumi
10/02/2006, 1:08 PM
There's some new state of the art dressing rooms built in that vicinity with lottery money. They also have top physio facilities. I think someone told me that the rugby players trek out from it into the stadium. What's the point in those dressing rooms if they stadium will have another set?:confused:
Pictures here (http://photobucket.com/albums/v239/SchumiUCD/Bowl/Dressing%20Rooms/). I very much doubt there'll be new dressing rooms built. A new exit from these ones is more likely.

Bald Student
10/02/2006, 2:34 PM
What are we going to sing when someone hits a 'Glenomena'?

"Brady's Gym, Brady's Gym!!"

CollegeTillIDie
10/02/2006, 2:44 PM

Sorry I didn't realise they were already built. Yes Schumi is correct unlikely extra setwill be built closer to the field. Extendo tunnel may well be the answer. Wow our new ground will look like a decent stadium from at least one aspect!:D

Schumi
10/02/2006, 2:47 PM
The thing with the current dressing rooms is that the rugby players enter through the stand unless that's been changed recently. I doubt that'd be acceptable for us.

Bald Student
10/02/2006, 2:49 PM
The thing with the current dressing rooms is that the rugby players enter through the stand unless that's been changed recently. I doubt that'd be acceptable for us.They could probably walk around the back of the stand and down a newly built entrance. The problem isn't intractable.

HarpoJoyce
10/02/2006, 5:47 PM
Maybe a virtual tunnel for these two.
http://www.maxwaugh.com/ucla04/tunnel.html
http://www.maxwaugh.com/nd04/tunnel.html

Including protective gear.

This is something that was lying around, maybe we can use this. (if no-one else minds)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/26/AR2006012601963.html

pineapple stu
10/02/2006, 8:46 PM
That's it. You're obviously a moron. I'm putting you on my internet ignore list and taking your sister back off my real life ignore list.
:D
Post of the Year if anyone else knew what you were talking about!!!

By the way, you can still have perfectly good rows with people on your ignore list!

Back on topic (bloody mods around here - this place is gone to pot!!), is there any sign of any more work being done on the ground to put in these 840 extra seats or all the other things that have been promised?

This is something that was lying around, maybe we can use this. (if no-one else minds)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...012601963.html
There's one of those connecting the Arts block with one of the car parks (seriously).

Schumi
13/02/2006, 11:20 AM
There's one of those connecting the Arts block with one of the car parks (seriously).
Very handy for evading Services... or so I'm told.

pineapple stu
13/02/2006, 12:23 PM
Only ever saw it used for sneaking in Jack Charlton to a talk in Theatre M or somewhere. I would imagine there's been a few p!ss ups/other dodgy goings-on down there over the years too!

Poor Student
14/02/2006, 1:22 PM
Can anyone (probably Bald Student) confirm they've seen the planning application notification sign around the site of the Bowl? Where will the rugger buggers play while the Bowl is being developed or will it be in their off season?

Student Mullet
14/02/2006, 1:44 PM
I've seen the planning application on the county council internet site. I'll find the link and lash it up.

Poor Student
14/02/2006, 1:47 PM
At what stage does the little white notification on the site being put up come into it? At least the club are actually following this up.

Bald Student
14/02/2006, 3:21 PM
At what stage does the little white notification on the site being put up come into it? At least the club are actually following this up.The white notice is probably up now or at least is should be. I'll have a look if I can today.
I think this is the link mullet was looking for: http://www.dlrcoco.ie/planning/planlist/2006/APPS3.htm

Reg. Ref. D06A/0045 Application Rec’d Date: 18-Jan-2006
Applicant Name & Address

University College Dublin University College Dublin, Belfield Campus, Belfield, Dublin 4

University College Dublin, Belfield Campus, Belfield, Dublin 4

Proposal

Upgrade the spectator and playing facilities at Belfield Bowl, UCD Campus to comply with fire health & safety legislation and sports licensing requirements. Improvements to include (i) erection of additional 840 number seats to replace part of the existing standing capacity, (ii) provision of permanent toilets to replace use of temporary toilets, (iii) upgrade of existing drainage works,

(iv) extension of existing perimeter fence, (v) upgrade of existing floodlights, (vii) upgrade of existing disabled and ambulance access, (vii) turnstiles and administrative offices, (viii) associated ancillary works including drainage, hard standing, on campus signage ect. When completed it is intended to relocate the existing sports activities from Belfield Park, Fosters Avenue to Belfield Bowl.

Application Type

Permission

Student Mullet
16/02/2006, 11:08 PM
As a vaguely related continuation of my one man campaign to badmouth the student's union here is an extract from an e-mail I received yesterday:

Dear Captain

Following on from my previous email regarding usage of the Centre Club by UCD Sports Clubs, I would like to bring to your attention the following information that arose from the meeting of the Centre Club committee which I attended.

1. Cost of Soft Drinks: Pints of cordial reduced from 1.30 to 75c. Bottles of soft drink will remain the same price.

I hope that I'm not the only one that finds it outrageous that the sports dept. has to lobby the students union to reduce prices. I also hope that I'm not the only one who sees the irony in the fact that while this is going on, the SU are running a 'rip-off-campus' campaign.

Bald Student
15/03/2006, 8:02 PM
Just to let yee know, I was out jogging yesterday and I stoped by to count the seats. There's 16 rows of about 40 seats across, I had to count the 40 across from the opposite side of the ground though so it might be slightly out. That gives you about 640 seats now and there's 840 to be built so alltogether about 1480 seats.

Aberdonian Stu
15/03/2006, 11:18 PM
The view from the current stand is awful. Pillars and side of the stand are a much greater nuisance than Belfield Park.

If the new/transplanted seats are covered I'd advise we sit in them instead.

DmanDmythDledge
29/03/2006, 4:43 PM
Whats the stadium going to be like in terms of atmosphere. One thing I like about Belfield Park is that you are right next to the action. Also what's the view of the U.C.D. fanbase - are more people for(yeah right!) or against the view? Is it too late to convince the college to let us remain in Belfield Park? Maybe a petition or something???

pineapple stu
29/03/2006, 4:44 PM
Way too late, I would imagine. Don't think anyone in the club would have much of a say to be honest - more a case of getting as good a deal as we can get. I don't think the existing stand in the bowl is that far away from the pitch?

Schumi
29/03/2006, 4:46 PM
I don't think the existing stand in the bowl is that far away from the pitch?Nearer than the stand Belfield Park is to the pitch I think (haven't been in the Bowl for a while).

DmanDmythDledge
29/03/2006, 9:44 PM
Better late than never. I know there's very little time, if any but it's worth a shot. We should get some sort of a campaign going. No U.C.D. fan wants to see us move to the Bowl. Most of us started supporting U.C.D. years ago and have fond memories of Belfield Park. We shouldn't let that w***er Hugh Bready just f*** us out. Why would the college have a football team if they didn't give a toss about it? Come on lads, it's worth a try at least.

CollegeTillIDie
29/03/2006, 10:01 PM
Better late than never. I know there's very little time, if any but it's worth a shot. We should get some sort of a campaign going. No U.C.D. fan wants to see us move to the Bowl. Most of us started supporting U.C.D. years ago and have fond memories of Belfield Park. We shouldn't let that w***er Hugh Bready just f*** us out. Why would the college have a football team if they didn't give a toss about it? Come on lads, it's worth a try at least.

Well what do you have in mind?

DmanDmythDledge
29/03/2006, 10:12 PM
Well what do you have in mind?
Well a petition for a start. If we want to be successful, we will have to have a lot of support. It may sound ludicrous, but maybe trying to get support from other Eircom League clubs as well. Some sort of media campaign to make people aware of our plans, focusing on the televised game against Derry maybe? I'm sure everyone will have many more ideas as well.

CollegeTillIDie
30/03/2006, 6:25 AM
Well a petition for a start. If we want to be successful, we will have to have a lot of support. It may sound ludicrous, but maybe trying to get support from other Eircom League clubs as well. Some sort of media campaign to make people aware of our plans, focusing on the televised game against Derry maybe? I'm sure everyone will have many more ideas as well.

Well that's a start and if we have a petition to stay and upgrade Belfield Park it is true some opposition supporters will sign. Others will laugh at it because for every visiting supporter who likes Belfield Park there might be 2-3 who think it's a hole!

John83
30/03/2006, 2:49 PM
We have so far only gone as far as singing unpleasant things about Brady, writing an entire issue of Stig abusing him, and moaning continuously about the new crest.

That's made not a whit of difference (surprise), but there's a lot of people who hate the new crest, and bugger all support for it, and that's been ignored too.

I don't think we have the numbers to force any change of opinion on Brady, and I don't think he'll listen to any pleas or petitions, no matter how nostalgic and heartfelt.

There are plans afoot to build on Belfield Park, and there's nothing we can do to stop it, save for maybe tying Aberdonian Stu to the pitch, and we don't have that much rope.

DmanDmythDledge
30/03/2006, 7:36 PM
Pats have started a campaign to stay at Richmond- maybe we could back each other? Is there any point of putting something the college newspaper looking for support? I suppose it's worth a try to try and get signatures at tomorrows game. Also to send an e-mail to everyone on the supporter's club mailing list looking for support and an article in the next fanzine if any campaign is to go ahead.

DmanDmythDledge
30/03/2006, 7:46 PM
Any chance of getting the last few posts into a new thread Schumi?

CollegeTillIDie
31/03/2006, 7:13 AM
UCDD... hmmm Double D is a bra size... therefore Hugh Brady is a tit! :D

Schumi
31/03/2006, 9:38 AM
Any chance of getting the last few posts into a new thread Schumi?
All the one topic really...

A previous thread (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=14765) nearly two years ago :eek: about the move. Interestingly it mentions 2006 as the date for playing in the Bowl and nothing has happened there since.

DmanDmythDledge
03/04/2006, 7:57 PM
So lads are any of you actually up for getting a campaign going?

Poor Student
03/04/2006, 10:00 PM
So lads are any of you actually up for getting a campaign going?

I'm not. I want to see the new stadium built ASAP and get in there as Belfield is below defined standards and is a stick to beat our club with. Belfield Park has been earmarked to build a new research centre (is that right Bald Student?) and nothing will change that. I pray to God the new stadium will be decent and not just at minimum standard, though chances are it will.

pineapple stu
03/04/2006, 10:08 PM
Minimum standard is still kind of decent. That's the whole point.

Poor Student
03/04/2006, 10:23 PM
Minimum standard is still kind of decent. That's the whole point.

Good point. Dman, I don't mean to crush your ideas or sweep them aside. Your heart is in the right place but this is truly an insurmountable battle and UCD cannot afford to be without a ground that does not meet requirements any longer. We've already overstretched. If somehow (and it's not even possible) we held it up then we'd be holding the club up in a below par ground. I might like it, and you might like it, but it does not meet defined standards. You've got to just suck it up and look forward to the move.

DmanDmythDledge
03/04/2006, 10:34 PM
Good point. Dman, I don't mean to crush your ideas or sweep them aside. Your heart is in the right place but this is truly an insurmountable battle and UCD cannot afford to be without a ground that does not meet requirements any longer. We've already overstretched. If somehow (and it's not even possible) we held it up then we'd be holding the club up in a below par ground. I might like it, and you might like it, but it does not meet defined standards. You've got to just suck it up and look forward to the move.
Yeah, I see your point. Well at least the new ground will be an improvement on Belfield Park.