PDA

View Full Version : Colin Healy

Pages : [1] 2

youngirish
08/02/2006, 12:35 PM
Colin Healy is hoping to win a move to Crystal Palace after joining the club on trial.

The former Celtic youngster is a free agent after leaving Sunderland last month.

Healy has not played a senior game since December 2003 after breaking his leg, but he is hoping to impress Eagles boss Iain Dowie during his training stint at Selhurst Park.

Dowie admitted he will make a decision on Healy after seeing him in action in a reserve team clash next week.

"Colin will probably play a game next week, and that will be the acid test for him," said Dowie.

"I'm mindful of the fact that he's been out for more than two years. Colin has to tell us when he's right, and we will play him.

"We are edging closer to that stage. He will have a full week's training, and we will see how he goes in the match.

"After that, we will make a judgement on him. We need to get his fitness levels right up this week."

as_i_say
08/02/2006, 12:58 PM
time to don my nostalgia hat and optimism specs but it would be brilliant if that lad made a full recovery. ive said it here before-he would have been our new roy keane.

Stuttgart88
08/02/2006, 1:04 PM
Healy & Sadlier both. What a story that'd be.

Stuttgart88
15/02/2006, 8:05 AM
Healy training with Livingston this week apparently (Indo).

NeilMcD
15/02/2006, 10:28 AM
Wonder what will happen now that Lambert has resigned. Did anybody see the clanger that the Livi keeper did on Saturday it was comical.

joema
15/02/2006, 4:48 PM
Did anybody see the clanger that the Livi keeper did on Saturday it was comical.

Yeah taht keeper is a joke

According to football ireland in sunday times he (Healy) has already signed for Livi. Hope thats not true

tetsujin1979
17/02/2006, 10:53 AM
Yeah taht keeper is a joke

According to football ireland in sunday times he (Healy) has already signed for Livi. Hope thats not true
According to some reports, he's only training there. With the recent changes in management, I don't know if he will sign for them or not.

Hibs4Ever
17/02/2006, 11:20 AM
I've heard Tony Mowbray wants to give him a trial too

livehead1
17/02/2006, 12:18 PM
well he'd be an eejit to go to either livi or hibs. Both are poor sides and will not get him anywhere near the level he needs to be if he is to prosper in international football in the future. I can think of very few players capped by ireland in the last 15 years playing at one of the old firm, let alone a smaller spl club. A move to the championship would serve him much better, very few players even manage to get a move to a decent side in england after player at one othe smaller spl clubs and lets face it ,healy is no spring chicken.

Hibs4Ever
17/02/2006, 12:20 PM
well he'd be an eejit to go to either livi or hibs. Both are poor sides and will not get him anywhere near the level he needs to be if he is to prosper in international football in the future. I can think of very few players capped by ireland in the last 15 years playing at one of the old firm, let alone a smaller spl club. A move to the championship would serve him much better, very few players even manage to get a move to a decent side in england after player at one othe smaller spl clubs and lets face it ,healy is no spring chicken.

In your opinion;)

youngirish
17/02/2006, 12:30 PM

I agree. He looks to be finished anyway as far as Ireland are concerned. If he does recover I'd say he'll fade into obscurity in the lower English divisions or in the SPL which is an absolute w**k of a league.

cheifo
17/02/2006, 3:32 PM
From the sounds of it why does he bother going on living?:rolleyes:

Roverstillidie
17/02/2006, 3:37 PM

i remember some garbage from you before about all players outside the english premier league being useless and having nothing to offer the irish side.

the guy hasnt played in 3 years, i think hibs would be a very good place to re-establish himself as a professional footballer.

celtic in last 15 years: mccarthy, bonner, morris, healey, miller, mcgeady, cascarino.
name one other club with more?

non-old firm: maybury, kernighan, coyne

there have to be others. anyone ele?

as usual livehead, you are talking out of your anglocentered arse

joema
18/02/2006, 2:22 PM
Looks like Healey is on trial with Livi now

Bank of Scotland Premierleague strugglers Livingston will keep Irish international midfielder Colin Healy at the club for a trial period.

Healy, who recently parted company with Sunderland after more than two years on the sidelines, was offered the chance to impress by Livingston boss Paul Lambert last week.

Lambert subsequently resigned as manager, but new man in charge John Robertson has decided to honour the pledge to give the former Celtic man a trial.

Healy, 25, took part in his first training session with the Lions on Thursday and is expected to make an appearance in a reserve game in the coming days.

Taken from www.elevenaside.com

livehead1
19/02/2006, 4:21 PM
i remember some garbage from you before about all players outside the english premier league being useless and having nothing to offer the irish side.

the guy hasnt played in 3 years, i think hibs would be a very good place to re-establish himself as a professional footballer.

celtic in last 15 years: mccarthy, bonner, morris, healey, miller, mcgeady, cascarino.
name one other club with more?

non-old firm: maybury, kernighan, coyne

there have to be others. anyone ele?

as usual livehead, you are talking out of your anglocentered arse

And out of your well researched list, how many exactly were/are up to international standard?
maybury, kernighan, coyne, healey, (you mean healy) miller. None of these are international players. don't get too personal now, the strength of the scottish league was shown today, celtic 8, dunf. 1, its a mickey mouse league and if he wants to play for ireland again, he needs to be aiming higher than that. Although thats the view of my "anglocentered arse". But i find it interesting that people seem to agree with me...

gustavo
19/02/2006, 4:33 PM
question isnt whether or not they were up to international standard , like it or not they were in our squad at the time.a nation with 4 million people cant disregard players because they are not up to international standard. if we were to truly implement that at the moment we would have a 5-6 man squad.

livehead1
20/02/2006, 1:07 AM
question isnt whether or not they were up to international standard , like it or not they were in our squad at the time.a nation with 4 million people cant disregard players because they are not up to international standard. if we were to truly implement that at the moment we would have a 5-6 man squad.
yeh i agree gustavo, i went slightly off the point with my last post. But the point im trying to make on this thread is that colin healy will not do his international career any favours what so every by joining livi. they are going 2 be in then 2nd tear of scottish football next season, and the players in the 1st tear are poor as it is. it would be a very poor move for someone who was so highly regarded, some people seem to resort to personal insults but they too are missing the point, ya see what i mean, surely he should aim higher than this.

ifk101
20/02/2006, 8:44 AM
yeh i agree gustavo, i went slightly off the point with my last post. But the point im trying to make on this thread is that colin healy will not do his international career any favours what so every by joining livi. they are going 2 be in then 2nd tear of scottish football next season, and the players in the 1st tear are poor as it is. it would be a very poor move for someone who was so highly regarded, some people seem to resort to personal insults but they too are missing the point, ya see what i mean, surely he should aim higher than this.

In fairness after being out of football so long Healy immediate goal can only be getting a regular match.

tetsujin1979
20/02/2006, 9:20 AM
I agree with ifk101, any form of football should be Healy's immediate aim, if he returns to the form that got him a senior call up while on loan at Coventry, then he will get a move to a bigger side in a better league.

eirebhoy
20/02/2006, 9:33 AM
If Healy breaks into the Livi team and gets regular football I'm sure he'll be snapped up by someone if they get relegated. Relegated teams rarely keep their best players so Healy and Hoolahan won't be playing Scottish division 1 football next season.

Roverstillidie
20/02/2006, 2:16 PM
And out of your well researched list, how many exactly were/are up to international standard?
maybury, kernighan, coyne, healey, (you mean healy) miller. None of these are international players. don't get too personal now, the strength of the scottish league was shown today, celtic 8, dunf. 1, its a mickey mouse league and if he wants to play for ireland again, he needs to be aiming higher than that. Although thats the view of my "anglocentered arse". But i find it interesting that people seem to agree with me...

you are changing the subject. they were all 'international players', kernighan and coyne went to a world cup, coyne was our main striker in 94. we are not brazil ffs.

celtic have provided more players to the senior irish side than anyone else over the timeframe you chose. your dismissive attitude to all things non-english premiership is bizarre. its not as if arsenal or manure have never won league matches by 7 or more? :rolleyes:

but thats not the point. where do you recommend he goes? its not about aiming anywhere, the guy hasnt played at all for 3 years. chelsea might be a bit too ambitious, despite your snobbery. the SPL would be a good enviroment to re-establish himself and good luck to him.

livehead1
20/02/2006, 2:55 PM
you are changing the subject. they were all 'international players', kernighan and coyne went to a world cup, coyne was our main striker in 94. we are not brazil ffs.

celtic have provided more players to the senior irish side than anyone else over the timeframe you chose. your dismissive attitude to all things non-english premiership is bizarre. its not as if arsenal or manure have never won league matches by 7 or more? :rolleyes:

but thats not the point. where do you recommend he goes? its not about aiming anywhere, the guy hasnt played at all for 3 years. chelsea might be a bit too ambitious, despite your snobbery. the SPL would be a good enviroment to re-establish himself and good luck to him.

negativity to all things non-english..... i find that insulting, im a celtic supporter and had an extended trial at linfield, which i enjoyed very much and learnt a lot about the game in ireland. The thing is, that he aint gona go anywhere if he goes to livi, and thats my honest opinion, whether you like it or not, you have no right to get personal about it, i'm entitled to my beliefs and if he does go there i fully expect to be proven correct. Its only a couple of weeks ago that people were saying what a terrible move Falkirk was for patrick cregg, and now, a full irish international is wanted by some people to join an equally poor side.

Roverstillidie
20/02/2006, 3:07 PM
i said non-english premiership.

where else could/should he go?

livehead1
20/02/2006, 3:16 PM
i said non-english premiership.

where else could/should he go?

i feel that if we are talking about him as an international player then the very least he wants to be looking at is championship. I'm sure there are many teams in that league who would take him on a non-contract basis, pay as you play and take it from there. He has more chance of being seen by either staunton or robson playing in england and thats the harsh reality.

Roverstillidie
20/02/2006, 3:20 PM
the the harsh reality. he is a long way off professional fitness, nevermind international standard.

and is the SPL that far behind the championship?

livehead1
20/02/2006, 6:29 PM
the the harsh reality. he is a long way off professional fitness, nevermind international standard.

and is the SPL that far behind the championship?

i think the SPL is behind in terms of quality if u take cel. rang. hts. out of it. Also, he needs to be watched regular and i just dont think that he will get that in scotland.

joema
20/02/2006, 6:55 PM
i think the SPL is behind in terms of quality if u take cel. rang. hts. out of it.

Ye well the reality is celtic, hearts. hibs, and rangers ARE in the league

livehead1
20/02/2006, 8:04 PM
Ye well the reality is celtic, hearts. hibs, and rangers ARE in the league

which incidentally is something that livingston won't be next season:D

if celtic beat dunf. 8-1 and livi ate 6pts behind them, god knows how poor they are

livehead1
20/02/2006, 8:05 PM
I play for a good saturday side, maybe healy could come join us for a bit of fitness etc and then if he proves himself that that level then maybe he could get a move back to a higher level??

Roverstillidie
20/02/2006, 8:48 PM
:confused:
I play for a good saturday side, maybe healy could come join us for a bit of fitness etc and then if he proves himself that that level then maybe he could get a move back to a higher level??

now i know you are a joker.

you are actually recommending he play 'saturday' football with you rather than take a professional contract in scotland, because that would get him spotted quicker?

and what would he eat while he is kicking a ball around a park with you?

cop on, he at least will make a living at livi while he sorts his fitness out.

utter madness livehead :rolleyes: some park team is a better option than the SPL.

Soper
21/02/2006, 12:26 AM
which incidentally is something that livingston won't be next season:D

if celtic beat dunf. 8-1 and livi ate 6pts behind them, god knows how poor they are
So that means that Arsenal should beat Sunderland 48-0 if they were able to beat Middlesboro 7.

kingcolers
21/02/2006, 10:46 AM
i feel that if we are talking about him as an international player then the very least he wants to be looking at is championship. I'm sure there are many teams in that league who would take him on a non-contract basis, pay as you play and take it from there. He has more chance of being seen by either staunton or robson playing in england and thats the harsh reality.

i'm sorry but you're talking ****e. if healy had the option to play in the championship, i'm sure he'd take it. as it stands he's probably going to livi because its the best/only offer he's got.

you keep talking about the guy's international career. well right now he's barely got any sort of career, and i reckon playing for ireland isn't his main concern. its playing football fullstop. so to suggest that he should turn down an offer from a professional side and hold out for an offer from somewhere *better* is delusional. he'll be lucky to pick up a few more bob over the next few years before its all over for him.

by the way, why did you bother with a trial with linfield when you could have held out for one with man u? shouldn't you have been "aiming higher"?

geysir
21/02/2006, 12:08 PM
you keep talking about the guy's international career. well right now he's barely got any sort of career, and i reckon playing for ireland isn't his main concern. its playing football fullstop.
I agree with you there. Its a remarkable achievement both mentally and physically for Healy to be even training at a professional standard.

livehead1
21/02/2006, 2:25 PM
alrite then, well, we will see just how far is career progresses if he goes up there. for god sake sunderland have given sadlier, someone who retired nearly 3 years ago, a chance to prove himself, there would def. be clubs who would let a former international footballer train with them

Roverstillidie
21/02/2006, 3:05 PM
alrite then, well, we will see just how far is career progresses if he goes up there. for god sake sunderland have given sadlier, someone who retired nearly 3 years ago, a chance to prove himself, there would def. be clubs who would let a former international footballer train with them

yes, livingstone. if there was a better offer, im sure he would take it. but there isnt. and arent sunderland in a worse position than livi?

but you are right, he would be better off playing pub football with you.

kingcolers
21/02/2006, 4:15 PM

so you think colin healy actually has better offers on the table than the one from livingstone but for some bizarre reason he isn't taking them? or you think that rather than take a firm offer from livi, he should ask around at a few championship clubs and offer to train with them for nothing? either argument is complete crap.

livi is the best he's got, so he's taking it. good luck to him. i hope he survives a few more seasons and makes a few quid.

garykelly
24/02/2006, 9:31 AM
If colin is on trial with Livingston, then IMO this career would be best served coming to the Eircom League with either Cork, shels or Derry.

If he wants to get back on track then he should consider EL football. He is on trial over there too late in the season and even if he gets a contract, alot of chopping and changing could happen in summer and he'd be out in the cold again. Not only that, he'd only have started back playing when the season ends so it would take him ages to get going as next August is a long way off. He should play in the EL for the summer and assess how well he is doing then come august. His main concern is to get back playing and build from there and would be great seeing him in the EL.

bawn79
24/02/2006, 10:01 AM
If colin is on trial with Livingston, then IMO this career would be best served coming to the Eircom League with either Cork, shels or Derry.

If he wants to get back on track then he should consider EL football. He is on trial over there too late in the season and even if he gets a contract, alot of chopping and changing could happen in summer and he'd be out in the cold again. Not only that, he'd only have started back playing when the season ends so it would take him ages to get going as next August is a long way off. He should play in the EL for the summer and assess how well he is doing then come august. His main concern is to get back playing and build from there and would be great seeing him in the EL.

Would love to see him myself in the Eircom League, do you think Cork or any of the others could afford to pay him a reasonable wage? I suppose the best thing to do would give him a basic wage plus a very good bonus if he plays. However it would be very risky for Eircom clubs to give him a six month contract and then for him to get injured again.

as_i_say
24/02/2006, 11:51 AM
[QUOTE=garykellyIf colin is on trial with Livingston, then IMO this career would be best served coming to the Eircom League with either Cork, shels or Derry.

QUOTE]

excellent thought and would love to see it. if he went to shels i might even buy my first ever EL match ticket!:D

garykelly
24/02/2006, 1:20 PM
do you think Cork or any of the others could afford to pay him a reasonable wage? I suppose the best thing to do would give him a basic wage plus a very good bonus if he plays. However it would be very risky for Eircom clubs to give him a six month contract and then for him to get injured again.

good point, although i dont think it would be too much of a risk for a top EL club to take on a 6 month deal. Obviously his wages would be large but not near what he would have been on. His motivation should be to first get playing and put himself back in the shop window. I think your right, a basic wage deal + appearance with a probable agreement on not getting paid if he's injured for more than a set period of time. I think it would be good all round. He has as much chance,if not a better one, of getting his career back on track in the EL than a bottom SPL club than any of the top three/four in the EL could more than compete against.Also the top EL clubs can offer him European football. All hypothetical I know, but worth a mention i thought

Emmet
25/02/2006, 10:03 AM
From Palace Fans' Website: http://www.holmesdale.net/page.php?id=82&story=2973

Crystal Palace centenary

Related News Stories

Healy looking for Eagles switch
Feb 7 2006

Republic of Ireland international Colin Healy has pulled out of a potential move to Selhurst Park because he feels he would be unable to command a first team place under Iain Dowie, by Stuart Pink.

The 26-year-old, who has not played a competitive fixture since sustaining a broken leg while playing for Sunderland in December 2003, had been on trial at the club for two weeks.

But Healy decided to call time on his short stay with the Eagles due to his concerns of getting minimal first team action in his bid to return to top level football.

Palace director of football Bob Dowie said: "Colin is no longer with us. He didn't feel he would get in the team here so he's looking to join clubs at a lower level to prove himself there and maybe come back to us.

"It was his decision. He just felt he needed to play regularly and he couldn't do that here. But something could happen in the future."

Sad really ... I live quite close to Selhurst and would have gone down there to see him play.

Risteard
23/03/2006, 2:32 AM
Was gonna post this on the Healy joins Livi thread but it's been locked for some reaon instead of merged.
Anyway, Rico told the supporters forum tonight that an approach was made but he wanted to stay in the UK.
Good to hear though i don't know what would have happened to the Georgie/Gamble partnership.
Frankly i believe we're better than Livingston but if he can scrape himself a move to West Brom or Leeds or Watford or someone at the seasons end, it will have proved the best decision for him.

livehead1
23/03/2006, 11:40 PM
[QUOTE=Risteard]
Good to hear though i don't know what would have happened to the Georgie/Gamble partnership.
QUOTE]
healy can play right mid as well though.

TheJamaicanP.M.
26/03/2006, 2:25 PM
Colin Healy has just come on as a sub for Livingston against his old club, Celtic with over half an hour to go. Best of luck to the lad.

Plastic Paddy
26/03/2006, 4:57 PM
Healy was anonymous. I didn't notice him tbh. Same for Hoolahan - can't see why he justifies all the p, w and s that's been written about him on here.

:ball: PP

Qwerty
26/03/2006, 7:43 PM
Was Tierney of any use?

Junior
27/03/2006, 10:24 AM
played leftback, got forward on occasion but tbh Livingston were rubbish and it was very hard to judge whether any of their players were much cop.

eirebhoy
28/03/2006, 10:17 AM
Healy was anonymous. I didn't notice him tbh. Same for Hoolahan - can't see why he justifies all the p, w and s that's been written about him on here.

:ball: PP
I thought Hoolahan had an excellent game tbh. Tierney played left wing.

CollegeTillIDie
01/04/2006, 11:17 AM
Healy is a victim of some serious overhype ... like Liam Miller....

geysir
02/04/2006, 9:27 AM
Healy is a victim of some serious overhype ... like Liam Miller.... Healy a victim of serious overhype? so is not true that his leg was broken two times followed by some serious ligament damage, that it's somewhat of a medical miracle and an example of mental fortitude that that the fellah is even in training never mind playing again.