PDA

View Full Version : Linfield Win But Charlene Steals The Show – By Chris McBride

Magicme
08/02/2006, 12:05 PM
The girls started the game very strongly and instantly took control of midfield with Sinead McCooey and “Smythy” dominant. Charlene Graham had a chance early on but the goalkeeper was up to the challenge. We continued to push Linfield back and Jacinta Treanor and Orla Callan caused lots of problems for them with intelligent runs and movement off the ball. Towards the end of the first half, Linfield managed to mount an attack with a long hig ball that beat our defence and their striker sprinted to beat Stepho.

At half time the girls were still upbeat as were Liam and I. We agreed to continue trying to play passing football and try to go on and win the game.

Unfortunately Linfield started the second half a little better than us and managed to get a quick 2nd goal, which was shortly followed by a 3rd that even Shay Given would never have stopped. However, the girls kept their chins up and kept fighting and playing the way they have been taught. Through their persistence they created several chances mainly through the threat posed by Charlene Graham, which with a little more experience will see them being more clinical and putting goals away. Linfield scored again late on.

Overall Liam and I were very pleased with the team performance and can see a big future for this new and improving team. On the day, all the players were exceptional as they were up against a very strong Linfield team with 5 Northern Ireland U17’s International players featuring for them.

Mary Croarkin in defence was superb, with Aisling Smyth dominating midfield with the support of debutant Nakita Cassidy and superstar Charlene Graham. Jacinta and Orla were excellent up front. The subs that came on were also impressive, Paula, Michelle, Michaela and Caoimhe all playing a part.

TEAM: Stephanie Keenan, Caroline Kavanagh, Pamela Treanor (C), Mary Croarkin, Sharon McAree, Nakita Cassidy, Aisling Smyth, Sinead McCooey, Charlene Graham, Orla Callan & Jacinta Treanor.

PLAYERS VIEW – By Aisling Smyth
As Vice-Captain of the Monaghan United Ladies Team, I was looking forward to our first away game. This game was against LInfield who have been playing the game for a number of years, but we as a team believed we could put it up to them and do ourselves and our management team proud.

The journey started with Mary Croarkin making sure that Chris McBride had the Kit Bag in the back of his van to ensure all the girls were kitted out for the day!!! We traveled to Boucher Road in Belfast for a kick off time of 2.30pm.

We started off the stronger team where we had most of the possession and we were playing the better football, but on the day we were just not able to put our chances away despite the efforts and good runs from Jacinta Treanor and Orla Callen, ably assisted by Charlene Graham from midfield. As this was only our second ever game of soccer, we showed determination and commitment and displayed our basic skills to our full potential. Linfield had one target on goal, but they made sure they put it away despite the best efforts of our back four of Caroline Kavanagh, Pamela Treanor, Mary Croarkin and Sharon McAree and of course our keeper Stepho Keenan. It was down to Linfield’s experience and match practice that they managed to put their goal away.

This was followed with two other opportunities on goal for them which they were able to score due to no fault of our own players and Stepho had no chance of stopping them. We would have had a few shots on goal also but again could not score as the woodwork of the goals stopped a shot or two from going in!! Three were some excellent individual displays on the day but we all kept battling and tackling away as a team, just as it should be, and our day will come when we will be able to put all our chances away and come away winners.

Linfield want to sign our number 11, Charlene Graham, but personally, I think they got their numbers mixed up and meant number 7! Sorry Charlene!

CollegeTillIDie
08/02/2006, 8:04 PM
Great report folks and thanks for the update. I take it ye didn't get to play in Windsor Park though?

Magicme
10/02/2006, 9:19 AM
No Windsor isnt open on a Sunday....

Will be playing in United Park tho against Moneymore/Drogheda United on Sunday 26th if u feel like coming to watch!

CollegeTillIDie
10/02/2006, 11:09 AM
No Windsor isnt open on a Sunday....

Will be playing in United Park tho against Moneymore/Drogheda United on Sunday 26th if u feel like coming to watch!

Ah the Lord's Day Observance Society striketh again!:p

Well United Park is only 1 hour from where I live.What time's kick-off?

Magicme
12/02/2006, 2:04 PM
Kick off has to be decided. There is talk of a 12.30 ko but we are trying to get them to push it back to 2pm. I have to get from Limerick to Drogheda for that game!!!!