PDA

View Full Version : Germany away (2 September 2006) - all info in this thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

NeilMcD
08/02/2006, 11:04 AM
Post any info you have on this trip

zinedineontour
08/02/2006, 12:23 PM
When the fixture is announced tmow will they announce what stadium the game is on ?? If not whats the best airport to fly into that is handy for getting around ?

Forever Dreamin
08/02/2006, 12:28 PM
Unlikely theyll announce the stadium as they have up to 60 days before the match date to do so. Your best bet is to book hotels in the main cities such as Munich, Dortmund, Frankfurt, Berlin etc. Most wilkl take bookings without payment and you can cancel the wrong ones.

its a brave man thatll book flights on spec unless you like driving, check FIFA world cup web site to see distances from the various stadiums etc.

NeilMcD
08/02/2006, 12:30 PM
I think the match is going to be in Munich or Dortmund but I could be wrong. They generally play their big games in these cities. It depends on your situation. If its an in and out job you should wait until the city is announced before booking flights. However it could be a double header or if its a weekend you could make a good trip out of it and in which case Frankfurt is easy to get to and is pretty central and Germany has a great train system.

I hope the Germany game is part of a double header with either Slovakia or the Czechs. I really hope there is a double header before the end of the year.

zinedineontour
08/02/2006, 12:38 PM
Unlikely theyll announce the stadium as they have up to 60 days before the match date to do so. Your best bet is to book hotels in the main cities such as Munich, Dortmund, Frankfurt, Berlin etc. Most wilkl take bookings without payment and you can cancel the wrong ones.

its a brave man thatll book flights on spec unless you like driving, check FIFA world cup web site to see distances from the various stadiums etc.

cheer for that ... yeah was just unsure what to do on thurs if we get germany .. should i go ahead and start booking hotels and maybe flights or just hold off till stadium announced ..

eirebhoy
08/02/2006, 1:35 PM
cheer for that ... yeah was just unsure what to do on thurs if we get germany .. should i go ahead and start booking hotels and maybe flights or just hold off till stadium announced ..
You'll have ages to book a hotel so no point in getting that booked as soon as the fixtures are announced. The match could be anywhere btw. They don't seem to have a preferred stadium.

Paulie
08/02/2006, 1:35 PM
Just one thing to keep in mind folks, if you're thinking of booking flights into a German city and then getting a train to the actual match venue, German train fares can be very expensive. My experience of it is that a 3 hour train journey could cost in the region of €140 for a return ticket. So if you book a cheap flight to a fairly central city like Frankfurt make sure to factor in the train fare as well. Your best bet really, if there are a few of you, is to hire a car. That will work out much cheaper.

Stuttgart88
08/02/2006, 1:38 PM
I hope it's Dortmund - it looks a fantastic stadium. Bertie Ahern should take note of what a proper football stadium is like, none of this Abbotstown bowl nonsense.

Schumi
08/02/2006, 1:44 PM
Just one thing to keep in mind folks, if you're thinking of booking flights into a German city and then getting a train to the actual match venue, German train fares can be very expensive. My experience of it is that a 3 hour train journey could cost in the region of €140 for a return ticket. So if you book a cheap flight to a fairly central city like Frankfurt make sure to factor in the train fare as well. Your best bet really, if there are a few of you, is to hire a car. That will work out much cheaper.
I flew into Cologne/Bonn airport when I was going to Berlin last summer and got a train the rest of the way. It worked out cheaper than flying direct to Berlin so that should be viable.

NeilMcD
08/02/2006, 2:05 PM
THere is huge saving on German trains if you are travelling in groups and if you do a search on their website there are many ways of cutting down the cost of a train journey.

zinedineontour
08/02/2006, 3:09 PM
So the best option really is to hold out till venue announced .. just think if we hold out till then the airlines will obviously put up all their german flights for that date on thursday ..

NeilMcD
08/02/2006, 3:16 PM
There is no best option its a calculated risk and you have to take a risk one way or the other.

Forever Dreamin
08/02/2006, 3:59 PM
Hope that we dont have a double header away. If we want to qualify each of the main away games should be tied up with an easier home game. Away games on the Saturdays home on the weds letting the players back to their clubs very early thurs.

NeilMcD
08/02/2006, 4:02 PM
That did not work the last time though and we had double headers for the 2002 World Cup which we qualified for.

Forever Dreamin
08/02/2006, 5:48 PM
Right, but Holland and Portugal were both played away a month apart!

Junior
08/02/2006, 7:54 PM
THere is huge saving on German trains if you are travelling in groups and if you do a search on their website there are many ways of cutting down the cost of a train journey.

Spot on. Ive done this when travelling with Celtic in Stuttgart. Groups of 6 got something like a 40% discount (from memory).

Forever Dreamin
08/02/2006, 9:38 PM
German railways website
http://www.bahn.de/-S:PtVOZ9:dK29f9NNqa,xBtNNNSdM/p/view/index.shtml

hamburg to munich is €260 return, discounts for groups but hard to find out on web site, group is 6 or more.

Schumi
09/02/2006, 1:45 PM
hamburg to munich is €260 return, discounts for groups but hard to find out on web site, group is 6 or more.
Hamburg is a silly choice. It's right up the North, about as far away from Munich as possible!

rfkimble
09/02/2006, 1:51 PM
where will the game be. any ideas

NeilMcD
09/02/2006, 1:52 PM
all guess work at this stage could be anywhere.

loscherland
09/02/2006, 1:58 PM
what to do, what to do...

Priced flights to Frankfurt at 175 + train to Munich (for example) at 143... Total €288

loscherland
09/02/2006, 2:04 PM
oh, and that's compared to direct flights for the same dates with aer lingus to Munich at 485.

Schumi
09/02/2006, 2:09 PM
German railways website
http://www.bahn.de/-S:PtVOZ9:dK29f9NNqa,xBtNNNSdM/p/view/index.shtml

Frankfurt to Munich return is €306 for 5 people if you book at least three days in advance. Hamburg is €290 for some reason but the train trip is 6 hours as opposed to 4!

zinedineontour
09/02/2006, 2:13 PM
Just booked my ryanair to frankfurt hahn ... 135 rtn pp not bad ....

Schumi
09/02/2006, 2:13 PM
People, there are enormous savings to be made if you book trains 3 days early. The price seems to be about half!

PaulB
09/02/2006, 2:28 PM
cheapest i've seen is lufthansa 200 a man to frankfurt

rfkimble
09/02/2006, 2:30 PM
any 1 translate german, go to dfb.de i think they say 1st game in frankfurt

soccerc
09/02/2006, 2:35 PM
any 1 translate german, go to dfb.de i think they say 1st game in frankfurt
No it just says that the fixtures were agreed today in frankfurt. German based friends seem to believe it will be in Dortmund

rfkimble
09/02/2006, 2:36 PM
sorry my mistake the draw wuz in frankfurt

Babysis
09/02/2006, 2:49 PM
Hi I dont know if anyone will find this site useful, I know I have. its http://www.skyscanner.netlets you search all the buget airlines to a certain airport. Hope it helps.

Saint Tom
09/02/2006, 3:56 PM
just got munich via milan.. thursday to monday for €229 inc tax. was going to take frankfurt with ryanair for €169 but you will definitely have a train journey then which would be €100+. at least this way its a 50/50 chance the game is in munich.

also, heard from a friend in the travel business that the Game is in munich

Armando
09/02/2006, 4:22 PM
Does Berlin not make the most sense? It's the biggest stadium and we've got the biggest away support. Because of it's size they'd rarely get the chance to sell it out. It will be used for one of Germanys qualifiers and I'm not sure they would fill it for any of the other games bar maybe the Czechs. The only guarantee is that an Ireland game would be a sell-out.

It's all guesswork I know. I would prefer Munich or Dortmund. By the way, if it is in Dortmund where would you fly into? There doesn't seem to be an airport under the name of Dortmund.

zinedineontour
09/02/2006, 4:25 PM
just got munich via milan.. thursday to monday for €229 inc tax. was going to take frankfurt with ryanair for €169 but you will definitely have a train journey then which would be €100+. at least this way its a 50/50 chance the game is in munich.

also, heard from a friend in the travel business that the Game is in munich

yeah but from frankfurt your near obviously frankfurt , stuttgart and not too far from dortmund

Forever Dreamin
09/02/2006, 4:28 PM
Aer Lingus have hiked up fares to over €250 to all German airports one way already.

Taken the same route as others booked Frankfort ryanair for €700 for the 4 of us, out Weds back Sun night. Munich would be my bet but knowing my luck if i flew into Munich it'd be played up north. If anyone knows German
http:www.dfb.de/news/display.php?id=7133&lang=D
maybe we can work out where its being played, they dont have the english translation yet.

NeilMcD
09/02/2006, 4:46 PM
It doesnt say in that article where the game will be played. It just says the meeting is in Frankfurt.

Cowboy
09/02/2006, 4:48 PM
it does not say anything about the venue unfortunately

Paulie
09/02/2006, 5:07 PM
Have booked flights into Frankfurt Hahn with Ryanair for €265 each, flying out on Friday at 18:35. I have a mates wedding in Galway on the Thursday so we can't get into Dublin until the Friday afternoon so I reckon this was the best option for us.

zinedineontour
09/02/2006, 5:47 PM
out to frankfurt hahn with ryanair first flight thurs back last flight mon .. gives us ideal time to drive to wherever it is .. easy to get there with autobahns ... 175rtn now .. get booked lads ..

gspain
09/02/2006, 6:22 PM
Ryanair into Baden 181 incl all T&Cs from Dublin - out Friday afternoon back Sunday.

totally screwed if it is Berlin/Hamburg - Munich would be great, Dortmund acceptable.

pineapple stu
09/02/2006, 6:33 PM
Why's everyone booking into Frankfurt?? You probably couldn't get much further from the two likely venues, Munchen and Berlin?

Thinking about a weekender for this one. Unfortunately means waiting until venue and time are confirmed before I can make any call...

zinedineontour
09/02/2006, 6:37 PM
Why's everyone booking into Frankfurt?? You probably couldn't get much further from the two likely venues, Munchen and Berlin?

Thinking about a weekender for this one. Unfortunately means waiting until venue and time are confirmed before I can make any call...

well you could .. if you book into munich it could be berlin , dortmund or a choice of any of there world cup venues .. frankfurt is best positioned for any city .. only 4 hours drive to munich ...

pineapple stu
09/02/2006, 6:40 PM
Suppose, yeah. I am kind of aware I'm a sitting duck for Ryanair or Aer Lingus!

zinedineontour
09/02/2006, 6:51 PM
Suppose, yeah. I am kind of aware I'm a sitting duck for Ryanair or Aer Lingus!

thats why we booked today ...135 rtn so worth booking now .. dont wanna wait till the flights sky rocket .

pineapple stu
09/02/2006, 6:53 PM
Yep, but I'm saving all my remaining holidays until April 2007 on going to Rome and San Marino for six days, so I've no choice but to wait! :(

Only2keanos
09/02/2006, 10:31 PM
Que sera sera

We all said we were going to Germany, just going to be 3 months late though.

I reckon Germany is too big to book flights before knowing the venue and kick off time. As someone said earlier it is a risk either way but once you know the venue you will always still be able to find some way there on the cheap.

NeilMcD
10/02/2006, 9:39 AM
I also think you dont have to book into Germany. IF the game in in Dortmund its only 2 and half hours from Amsterdam. Thinking outside the box on this could work.

Forever Dreamin
10/02/2006, 11:47 AM
Experience has taught me to wait is to line the airlines pockets or travel half way around the world. Booked frankfort for about €170 because its most central and loks like no matter where they play the game itll be a train connection unless you want to pay through the noise with lingus or whatever, having said that i hope people get out there as cheap as possible cos the bigger the crowd the better for the team.

zinedineontour
10/02/2006, 12:10 PM
yeah we booked frankfurt just cause its not too bad location for anywhere in germany .. booked big sized car as well with the autobahns over there be no problem getting around .. get joxer goes to stuttgart going on the cd player and we are away in a hack ..

Clipper
10/02/2006, 12:15 PM
Anyone know when the Germans will announce the stadium for the game??

zinedineontour
10/02/2006, 12:23 PM
Anyone know when the Germans will announce the stadium for the game??

the german fa said they would let us know within a month ...